Atheism

>Be me, atheist
>Can not comprehend why people believe in religion, which are different sets of ideas and values that do not rely on any scientific methods/proof/facts.
>Amazed by all the religious people on /pol

Let us debate!

(Feel free to hate on my country, I hate it too)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/awyattman88/status/856323621173825536
thepoliticalinsider.com/richard-dawkins-christianity-best-defense-against-radical-islam/
youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the world is too complex for there not to be some sort of higher power

That's not a reason. Besides, if human were for instance, "intelligently designed". Our creator was a moron. Also look at the platypus. That would make him mean spirited too.

What about the platypus? Just cause it's funny looking or because it's a monotreme or what?

That is a lazy answer. Why does complexity equal higher power?

I Agree.

I think user wants to address the fact that there is no "religious" explanation to why platypuses exist.

The beauty of the platypus points towards the majesty of an eternal God.

I disagree. Why doesn't it points to the majesty of nature's evolution?

it does. christfags dont realize when they mention the platypus that they are actually proving the point they are disputing

Yep.

>Atheism
>>Be me, atheist
Hey me too
>>Can not comprehend why people believe in religion, which are different sets of ideas and values that do not rely on any scientific methods/proof/facts.
Then youre fucking stupid or never bothered to gather enough information to be able to even discuss this topic

>>Then youre fucking stupid or never bothered to gather enough information to be able to even discuss this topic
You genuinely think I would start a thread without knowledge about what I'm debating? Thanks for bringing this up; people are always striving for a meaning in life and religion fills that spot quite perfectly and I do understand why it would be functioning method to fill the absurdity of finding a meaning of life (that's an opinion, not a fact).

Religious folk are just delusional.

Let's face it; Atheism is so 2006. It's been kicked to the curb by everyone.

Atheists just can't get over the fact that they lost the culture war.

Let me take you under 18s back to the year of 2006:
>atheism on the rise on the internet with their voices getting more heard everyday
>atheist leaders like Dawkins, Harris, and (worst) Hitchens are respected voices in the community
>r/atheism is one of the top boards on bleddit
>corporate stores trying to push things like "Happy Holidays" and having "Holiday Trees"

Cut to today:
>Dawkins, Harris, and (worst) Hitchens (may he RIP) viewed as complete psychos for their insane political/social views
>r/atheism moved to the basement of bleddit because it was embarrassing euphoric garbage
>things like "Reason Rally" draw less than a Hitler impersonator at a bar mitvah
>atheist communities tear themselves apart over things like elevator gate (giving rise to New Atheism, and Atheism+, which are less successful than just regular Atheism)
>constant rape and sexual assault allegations at atheist conventions (even atheist leaders like Lawrence Krauss are accused...by other atheist leaders)
>"Happy Holidays" and "Holiday Trees" are a distant memory
>liberal atheists in Britain crushed by Brexit

And quite frankly all this bad stuff wasn't even needed. All it would have took was one euphoric quote and a couple of fedora pictures. Christianity is still kicking 2000 years later, and atheism is at it knees because of a jpeg of a fat guy in a fedora. Sad

You are not debating, but labeling. I myself celebrate christian festivities and I would never say "Happy Holidays" or "Holiday Tree", that is some next level Swedish antifa cuckwizardry. I celebrate it because it is a way of connecting with relatives and practicing traditions that are great social intteractions. I don't pray at all though.

>You are not debating,

There's nothing to debate. Atheism is literally cancer nowadays. I remember in the 1996, 2000, and 2004 presidential elections, nonreligion/atheism was a topic of discussion. By 2008 it wasn't because everyone realized how insanely euphoric you tards are.

>Let us debate
fuckton of assumptions about epistemology included with no scientific backing.

yeepp..atheism was cool a couple of year ago.. now its all about the mormon church!!

>I myself celebrate christian festivities
>I would never say "Happy Holidays" or "Holiday Tree"

Lol go to bed swedish cuck, your mudslime bull is waiting

>be frogposter
>be very very dumb

It's ridiculous to believe in God and be a racist at the same time. This is the reason the majority of Sup Forums can never be religious. There is "some" decent discussion about the truth of God. But most here will just be agnostic, vaguely pagan (Styx) or just straight euphoric.

There should be a /christian/ board.

As a neuroscientist, im sad that you cant realize your convictions are just as faith based as those you criticize.

Science is not the end all be all of truth and knowledge. Its merely a way of investigating hypothesis

Sorry but this is just asinine, theres so many things going on with your statement I dont even know where to begin.

>>There's nothing to debate.
"Atheism is cancer because I'm old." Claiming that thre is nothing to debate is just neglecting. Are you saying that the whole movement is associated with libcucks or that atheism itself is unneccessary not contributing to the will of the general majority of people?

So then, your just too unwilling to contribute to the discussion so you're just criticising the standpoint I have? Show me why these "assumptions" are assumptions and/or wrong then

>Dawkins, Harris, and (worst) Hitchens (may he RIP) viewed as complete psychos for their insane political/social views

According to who?

Dawkins is hated by the left for the shit on the elevator, his hatred of Islam and his race realism.

God must be real because long before we knew anything about genes numerous religions guided mankind to kill the genepool and society wrecking faggots that now threaten our people's survival.

Also, according to Bill Nye the Science guy, "butt Stuff" is just evolution.

twitter.com/awyattman88/status/856323621173825536

Every person in this video needs to be thrown off a roof. I think God's speaking to me.

What is the yellow rings meaning behind jesus head in almost every picture?

As a fellow atheist I can tell you exactly why a lot of people believe in religion.

Because they want to.
Even if in the back of their heads they don't believe in it, they want to follow something, they want to believe there's an end goal, they want to have a reason to get up in the morning, they want to have some law and order in life and religion provides that.

Nothing wrong with that in and of itself.

You're conflating what's going on with pol to what is going on with everyone else. Fedora/eurphoric has always been a reddit meme.

Anyway, memes come, memes spread, memes fade. You saw a rise in religion on this board because of the fedora meme, now the fedora meme is dead and you will see more atheism.

Not believing in the magical sky-daddy is understandable but what d'you replace religion with to prevent cultural/societal decay and to keep birth rates healthy? You Swedes in particular need to figure this out quickly because at present you're a bunch of cultural-Marxists who're literally failing natural selection and you're getting conquered by a tribe who believes in the magical sky-daddy.

Averag mexican knowledge about time zones. No wonder the wall is going to be built.

>Show me why these "assumptions" are assumptions and/or wrong then
No, you show some scientific backing for your epistemology.
You won't be able to because it's not a scientific field.
You hold epistemic beliefs anyway...
>...which are different sets of ideas and values that do not rely on any scientific methods/proof/facts.
If you're allowed to do it so are religious people.

Atheism will perish and so will the people blind enough to follow it. Believe in Christ and you shall never perish.

>be me
Fuck off.

>You're conflating what's going on with pol to what is going on with everyone else.

The mainstream media won't touch atheism anymore. It used to have articles in the NY Times, CNN, etc, etc. In the 2016 election it didn't even come up once. Nothing to do with Sup Forums.

Even the most recent Reason Rally greatly underperformed. It's over.

I'm an atheist too, but I fully understand the need some people have for a God, that gives them comfort and hope and explains the unexplainable.

Religion is the refuge of the weak and feeble minded.

Take Christianity: Do as I say and you'll be granted eternal life in my kingdom. Submit and be rewarded.

Take Islam: God Wills It - The Religion. Zero personal responsibility, everything that happens or you do is because god willed it.

And then there's Judaism which is based around the belief of being a superior race and everyone else being lesser than beasts of burden.

>Dawkins is hated by the left for the shit on the elevator

Dawkins is viewed as a nut because of his "some pedophilia is ok" shit. That and he spent years talking about how Christianity is bad for society, but now that the Muslims are at his front door he's saying how only Christianity can save the western world.

Fucking nuts.

Reminder that atheism actively promotes degeneracy like Gay marriage and open relationships.

>its me OP

>everyone realized how insanely euphoric you tards are
rejects argument out of hand
>everyone realises how batshit insane and irrational muslims are
world's fastest growing religion
Hmmmm...
I think this "Atheists are dumb hurr hurr" must be an american thing. Meanwhile, in the rest of the modernized world, religious kookiness is on the wane (although I'm sure it will be quite vocally represented here).
The problem with debating theists like you is that you are the worlds biggest bitches when it comes to doubting your story. It's as if you believe us calling your belief into question is equivalent to calling youe intelligence into question.
That's very revealing, you know. It suggests you doubt yourself. I've said for a long time that christians do this because they are traumatised by the santa con, and point blank refuse to acknowledge they got conned a second time with the jesus thing. It's a dangerous path to take, and a very immature one at that.

When a man has so far corrupted and prostituted the
chastity of his mind, as to subscribe his professional belief
to things he does not believe, he has prepared himself for
the commission of every other crime.

>38 replies
>not a single fedora picture

has this meme finally gone stale?

Fuck I was too late

Please elaborate.

>Flag
kek enjoy being forced to convert to Islam because you have no beliefs and are a pushover pussy fuck
You will deserve it too

>I think this "Atheists are dumb hurr hurr" must be an american thing.

I never said atheists are dumb, just that they're insane. It took all of a few years and some internet message boards to show just how cringey they are.

Atheism used to be a REAL topic of discussion in American society. Now though it's a fucking joke because atheists conducted themselves in the worst possible manner once they got a little bit of recognition.

The "Logos" of Christ.

I agree. As mentioned, It functions pretty well.

>this

I don't understand you. I'm discussing real belief, why people actually believe in the bible, the filthy qur'an and so on. To redpill your misconceptions about my Swediness. Im from a German fmily who fled the Sovjets after the war.

How am I suppose to disprove God when he can't be proven? Answer me that. Do you see the error in that. A theory can't be disproven until it has been proven.

>How am I suppose to disprove God when he can't be proven?
I'm not talking about God, I'm talking about your epistemology.

>Bed is only for sleeping
No wonder why mohammed cucked you

As an American I'm often embarrassed by my countrymen's ridiculous levels of belief. My own mother has become one of those Israel first cringy as fuck Christians. Thing is before that she was a Mormon (as was I) and before even that she was Catholic. I'm not an atheist though. Merely agnostic. How I wish I could live in northern Europe ...

cringey=/=insane
And a few egotistical wankers don't speak for all of us, any more than a pavement trucker speaks for all the religious communities of the world.
If this is your argument, then you are being very disingenious (surprise, surprise). If you believe atheism to have had reasonable points to make, why not call for a return to rational argument instead of labelling the whole thing as stupid?
Throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't smart, you know.

My egregore is stronger than yours!

Why is popular opinion important when talking about religions and belief systems?

>grow up in fairly religious family
>never stop believing in god, but cant stand church, not really focused on religion
>go on one mission trip where i felt connected to god, but nothing else
>go off to college, never go to church
>find JBP
>his ideas about religion pique my interest
>start praying on a regular basis
>start going to church
anyone else /redeemed/ by based sorting man?

>cringey=/=insane

Calling for the end of Christianity, then saying only Christianity can save us = insane.

>And a few egotistical wankers don't speak for all of us
More than a few. You're too young to remember. r/atheism was one of the top 5 boards on leddit. Until it got to the point where even the leddit owners banished it.

>If this is your argument, then you are being very disingenious (surprise, surprise). If you believe atheism to have had reasonable points to make, why not call for a return to rational argument instead of labelling the whole thing as stupid?
Throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't smart, you know.

Dude, if this were the 90's, we could talk religion, theism, etc no problem. But the current generation (for the last 10+ years or so) has gone off the deep end just as liberals have become SJW's. Totally irrational screaming and name calling (not to mention cringy and embarrassing).

It's over. Atheism lost.

I was atheist. Then i did lots of esoteric stuff, met demons, angels and god. Now I am no longer an atheist.

Im sorry. Couldn't be bothered.

You stupid Swede. Science is a derivative of religion, not the other way around.

>do you even history bro?

>Feel free to hate on my country, I hate it too

Come to burgerland, user.
Believe in freedom, work hard, and put your trust in god, and you can be an american too.

I was a agnostic. Met some cool Christian people that taught me about Christianity. Met more cool Christians. Decided to give a honest shot. Did. Became a Christian.

Dont really pray that much since im sure God has a plan already and dont really wanna change them for my shitty wants and needs.

>be god
>create huge universe
>wait for 9 billion years
>Ah, earth is formed!
>Wait another 1.5 billion years
>Put some microbes on that bitch
>Wait 3 billion years
>Finally, some creatures have evolved that are able to use language and think!
>Let humans conjure up thousands of different mythologies and religions over thousands of years before just telling them yours is the actual true religion with the true god
>almighty and omnipotent

Come on guys. Religion is just a tool to install a set of morals within your population that promote cooperation, cohesive goal setting, in-out-group mentality and order. No real leader has ever truly believed in the fairy tale. It's just a comforting idea plus a really nifty way to install a moral voice in dumb kids so they don't go all haywire when their parents fail to do the same thing. Read up on Minksy's 'The Emotion Machine'. God is just the voice in your head, that Atheists call, the voice in your head. That's not a bad thing, since religion helps a lot of people cope with stress and uncertainty in the world, but that doesn't make it truthful, nor does it make it impossible to install similar or adjusted moral values in young kids by non-religious teachings.

Look back to history. Religion is just a layer of explanation that society needed. Old mythological creatures and polytheistic Gods all had very specific purposes. God of the Harvest, meant "we as a population do not have enough knowledge to determine what makes a good agricultural strategy, and we do not understand global weather patterns or the climate too much", hence, to feel secure about our endeavours, we make sacrifices to a made up creature that supposedly controls all of this, and when the crops fail, we have to do more sacrifices to please him. The monotheistic, semetic religions worked similarly, but emphasised in-out-group mentality, and nepotism, dualism and divine determinism as means to gain power over even more people.

>Calling for the end of Christianity, then saying only Christianity can save us = insane.
Where, exactly, did I do either of those things (it was real in my mind doesn't count)?
>You're too young to remember
I'm willing to put money on my being considerably older than you (not that it's necessarily an indicator of anything other than experience)
>leddit
Really? THAT's the source of your argument?

And as for the drivel at the end, what are you even getting at?
Are you suggesting a rejection of Christ as saviour is irrational? Because you seriously need a dictionary if you are.

>Catholic priests and physicist comes up with theory on how universe was formed based on the idea of "how would God do it"
>comes up with Big Bang Theory
>atheist scientists of the day laugh at him
>now, Big Bang Theory is universally accepted by scientists worldwide.

"I met a nice commie, therefore I am commie." Sheep.

Thats what you got from it? Clever boy.

Its fine for individuals to be atheists but my problems with atheism are twofold.
1. The what if question.
What if atheism is right? Well damn it I guess I have wasted a lot of my time and will never know I was wrong to begin with. The main problem might be that I make friends in a community that are primary more conservative and hold similar beliefs as I do.
But what if Christianity is right? Well then I guess I will at best wait in purgatory for a long as time burning my sins and mistakes in life away. A lot of my fedora tipping and atheist convention things will have damned others to hell as well and overall I will probably go to hell and wish I had just put at least 2hrs a week into Christianity.
Out of the two I think its easy to tell that Christianity is the safer of the two choices in this instance and I like to play it safe.
2. Mass atheism causes degeneracy.
Now I am not arguing against a few people being atheists but when it gets to the point that atheism becomes a quasi religion of its own thats when its gone too far. The reason rally and other events just get degeneracy started. Soon people lose their morals that Christianity helped instill into the populace and a bunch of normies become nihilistic and look to either materialism or social justice to be their new "religion". Then Mohammad is let in and shit hits fan. I don't understand how atheists overall want everyone else to be atheist either, it just doesn't make sense to me. I get agnostic people who are fine not caring and just being skeptical themselves but when atheists try to get their "reason" to become the new religion it just fucks up society.

Science is a derivative of religion, yes, but a counter-response to it. Fuck are you really that retarded? Your are implying science was looked upon with joy by the priests and high-figure priests.

Who came up with the big bang theory?

>Where, exactly, did I do either of those things (it was real in my mind doesn't count)?

"Richard Dawkins Says Christianity Best Defense Against Radical Islam"

thepoliticalinsider.com/richard-dawkins-christianity-best-defense-against-radical-islam/

>I'm willing to put money on my being considerably older than you (not that it's necessarily an indicator of anything other than experience)
I think not. Lets put it this way, I'm not a millennial. And if you were older than me we wouldn't be debating this, because I've watched the deterioration of atheism and liberals for the last 10+ years.

>Really? THAT's the source of your argument?
Reason Rally a complete failure. Atheists going to war with each other (atheism+ vs new atheism, etc), euphoric quotes, it's complete removal from American media (it used to be a real topic of discussion)

>And as for the drivel at the end, what are you even getting at?
What don't you understand?

>Are you suggesting a rejection of Christ as saviour is irrational?
When did I suggest that? Can you into comprehension?

nihilism is superior to atheism. Live by the teachings which open your eyes to things the way they really are. When god is dead people would turn to the truth within their selves, not to the universe of unpredictable chaos. Atheists promise an unobtainable truth. Nihilists ignores said truth and moves on enjoying their own existence.

>Take the black pill

Both atheism and theism are irrational as they suggest the existence or nonexistence of a higher being without objective proof.

>Then youre fucking stupid or never bothered to gather enough information to be able to even discuss this topic

How so? I feel similarly.. I cannot imagine believing in a god, much less talking to it, even less having it talk back. I sincerely wonder what it feels like to be religious beliefs, and to be in contact to another plane of existence. I also have the nagging suspicion many religious people fake it, and that many religious authorities fake it with the explicit goal of manipulating their followers..

What drives people to believe, or pretens they do?

I agree with you. Atheism a a belief system is dumb. It's always tending to become a big pendulum, and that itself - the impossibe ability to keep ideas and beliefs not radical, is hard.

Have you ever given it a real and honest try for longer than a week?

The first person to come up with the idea of an expanding/contracting universe was Erasmus Darwin, a physician

>ifunny
>kekistani faggotry
I think we all know what you have to do.

I ask again "was science looked upon with joy by the priests and high-figure priests?"

So if you agree that it won't work if everyone practices it, why do you?

>blackpilled.png

Atheists pretend they're the Warsaw uprising between nazi germany, Hungarian uprising against communists but what if there is no """secular""" America to come and save you? It's an abstracted example, but it is the situation that much of the world finds itself in like in the Middle East- join or die. How right are you when in all reality you're just flapping your gums about at the mercy of your enemy's hands? Religion is biological- it damn near is biology as neither could've superseded each other- biology gave rise to religion and religion showed us biology- the father of biology is Gregor Mendel who lived on the coin of church going folks. You must be truly secular to not feel shame in this phenomena, typically ahuman and deplorable in your sense of self respect.

>saying you can't comprehend why people believe in religion like it's a reason to feel superior

Hey dude, your autism is showing.

Atheism in the US is still growing though. Religion is becoming wess important all over the west, the US is just behind the curve. Your MSM has been moving aeay from dogmatic Christianity for a long time now.. Not a lot of prime time creationism anymore, just to name something.

The only people who kept books and did shit were the clergy and monasteries. Without them we wouldn't have half the books from antiquity we have now.

The greatest realisation is that of the power of the self.

If there is a God, it created you with the power to do amazing things, to change the world around you through your will and strength.

If there is no God, this power is truly all that you have - the power to change the world around you, to create an eden of your own design.

We must unite under the commonality of our difference, the power of the will - the will of the individual! There can be no alternative, in this world, so obsessed with the group or the state - I chose a third way, the lonely path of man's self liberation.

Once society embraces the virtues of the association of individual egos, then we shall have utopia.

Some im sure. Alot not im sure.
Everything has some bad parts in their background. Todays christians(except the murican super religious weirdos) tends to accept science without any issues.

>The first person to come up with the idea of an expanding/contracting universe was Erasmus Darwin, a physician

He offered no data to prove the theory. People before Charles Darwin theorized evolution, but didn't prove it scientifically like he did.

It's not even all the american christians. It's some retaded protestant sect.

Pretty much same argument as.
Hurr durr cat almost always lands on its feet.
This mean the space time continuum stops and little elfs appear and flip the cat around then dissapear and shit continues untill another cat falls.

>nihilism is superior to atheism

Nihilism is for faggots, cynicism is for real men.

Hubble confirmed red shift in galaxies in 1929, proving the universe was expanding. It wasn't the fucking catholic church or other retard institution.

I didnt mean all the American Christians. Americans made me a Christian and i very much accept and have a interest in science. Personally i enjoy astrophysics the most.

>cynicism
you mean stoicism?

because your too retarded to understand chaos, cause and effect, and consequence.

Cynicism as performed by Diogenes, the OG shitposter.

I see where you are going. But I would argue that humans tend to not reside around one dominant feature, thus, if everyone didn't believe in god, there shouldn't be a problem if people also were rational and so forth. That is a non-existing paradise, though.

"methods, facts and proof". Do you know how many of those we have? Very close to none. Suggesting we have them shows a poor understanding of human knowledge. We have theories, some of which are useful. Religions are full of useful theories.

After methods, why did you not mention assumptions? Because no one did ever. Look in the assumptions. Most of science is layer upon layer of assumptions no one wants to mention.

I think Giraffes laryngeal nerve would be a better example.
youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0

This man is right