Several forms of powerful nuclear propulsion have existed since the 1950s

>several forms of powerful nuclear propulsion have existed since the 1950s
>Trump tells NASA he wants to get to Mars before his term is over
>"Lol nope we can't do that wait till the 2030s even we said to wait till the 2010s during Bush!"
I don't wanna hear any x-files larping bullshit about "SECRET BLACKSITE REVERSE ENGINEERED UFO TECHNOLOGY MOON LANDING FAKED FLAT EARTH". Why are NASA such fucking clowns? They're too pathetic to even be called a money sink since they don't even get ten percent of the federal budget. You'd think that if you have less money you should spend it more wisely but they spend it on shit that has fuck-all to do with space like aid to muslim countries and "climate change". Despite all the corruption and bureaucracy of the military industrial complex, they would get boots on Mars with far greater speed and efficiency than fucking NASA.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4HbBHASu7H8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
youtube.com/watch?v=SjnKa_PH4QQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gWhqLVkjK50
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you think sending astronauts to Mars is easy, I've got news for you.

For starters the launch window only happens like every 2 years

how many of them u think have herpes?

Spend enough time in a low gravity environment and your eyes start turning to jelly. There are a large number of hurdles to jump that are bigger than propulsion.

Can confirm 20 jets just flew over my house it's really happening

Because liberals don't want nuclear materials launched on a rocket that could explode, and there has never been or ever will be an economic purpose to putting infrastructure in space, and nuclear rockets only make sense when you plan to run them for several missions or have a manned payload.

I blame the Jews

you believe these morons are capable of sending anything to space, let alone mars?
youtube.com/watch?v=4HbBHASu7H8
no technical details, no real concrete information, just a bunch of theatre.

Dude ur in Iceland

Because the moon landings were a hoax and NASA is just a giant welfare program for women with science degrees

If Dyson had his way and not Von braun, we'd have used nuclear propulsion to get to Saturn by now. Chemical rockets are nigger tech in comparison

Chemical rockets are extremely complex machines.

Nuclear rockets are literally just steam hoses.

What did they mean by this? Tisk tisk. Not very progressive.

>cuts nasas funding
>why the fuck aren't nasa going to space faster
>cuts nasas funding
>seriously we went to the mood, these asshats just can't get their shit together
>cuts nasas funding
>oh and look, these private companies are kicking their ass now, even the indians are gonna get their faster
>cuts nasas funding
>that'll get those engineers and scientists off their asses
>now get me to mars you nerds!

>Accelerate at 9m/s on the way to mars
>start decelerating at 9m/s once you're half way
wow it's almost like gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable for an observer in a closed box

Couldn't the rocket use standard fuel but the shuttle have a nuclear engine like a submarine.

The other option is to build a space elevator a ship facility that orbits the earth. Then you can use the elevator to slingshot the craft as well. We will have to do this at some point if we want to colonise the system.

softly keked

Mars is a meme. If you can't put a colony on the Moon, you are blowing smoke up our ass about Mars. Prove it 1/4 of a million miles away before asking us for Trillions.
Fuck you Mars guys!

NASA can't even deliver cargo to low earth orbit. You need insane faith to believe they are capable of lunching manned mission to Mars.

They made a airfilter with duct tape and a thing of Styrofoam. and you say they need more funding, It's because who ever is handling the fucking contracts in NASA is retarded. Elon can make rockets 10x cheaper and more effective because he isn't contracting it to like 4 companies.

Constant acceleration is hard to keep up mate.

>Couldn't the rocket use standard fuel but the shuttle have a nuclear engine like a submarine.
Run that by me again?

>The other option is to build a space elevator a ship facility that orbits the earth.
That's not an option. There is no material that can withstand the tension.

Especially in nuclear rockets that have max thrusts of 3200 seconds or the whole thing melts.

Return fuel, other return supplies, and mission equipment in drone ships need to be sent first anyway.

We have already sent nuclear materials into space via nuke power for certain telescopes and other unmanned craft going deep where the sunshine is shit

Acceleration? are you high?
Your velocity's going to be so high with a gravity assist to mars and a nuke pushing you forward.

The actions of liberal elites would actually make sense if alien subversion was the driving force. It's not likely, but stranger things have happened.

To be fair the media, especially now in the fake news era, is grossly incompetent when it comes to complex, technical fields like science, medicine, and law.

He's the only one working. Lol

The rocket can use chemical fuel and the space shuttle that is on the rocket to get into space can use a nuke engine. It would minimise the waste if it did explode on launch.

and carbon nano tubes

4 companies who refuse to share info cuz muh proprietary meme and then the rockets explode

Problem with nasa is the same with every gov entity.

Is that Black Cosmos Man? Do you think he's sad because Bill turned into such a cuck?

The most we've ever sent at once was 33kg aboard Cassini.

The bare minimum for a NERVA is 50kg. For a good rocket you're going to need a lot more than that. And to heft such a large thing will require a very large and somewhat risky rocket.

HNNNNNNG

Exactly, no one wants to point fingers when a rocket goes kaboom. so then they have to spend a year looking for evidence for the fucker who messed up. Rather than the whole entity being to blame.

i hope no one actually believes this is going to happen. they're just going to fake it like they faked the moon missions in the 60s and 70s. it'll be a great way for the government contracted corporations to embezzle a trillion burgerbucks.

NASA is basically a large scale version of the "booksmart engineer" stereotype, because that personality type is basically everyone who works for NASA. They are straight-A students, great at doing math, have an encyclopedic knowledge of science and are great at finding a way to solve complex engineering problems, but they are absolutely awful at everything else like money management, public relations, keeping good relationships with the people who give you funding, finding girlfriends, selecting the right shirt to wear on TV, and replacing O rings.

It's no wonder they're getting their asses kicked by a meme billionaire and ULA.

You can't do a brachistochrone with a solid-core nuclear rocket because the reactor will melt down.

>The rocket can use chemical fuel and the space shuttle that is on the rocket to get into space can use a nuke engine. It would minimise the waste if it did explode on launch.
You can't use a nuclear rocket to get off the planet anyway, the thrust is too weak, it's literally just steam. it doesn't matter how you get it up there, if it explodes high up you're going to see a spike in global cancer rates.

>and carbon nano tubes
While they are strong enough to do the job as individual molecules, they ONLY have that strength as a single molecule. Geostationary orbit, the altitude you have to put the end of the space elevator for it to stay up on its own, is 22,236 miles straight up.

Call me cynical, but i do not see us manufacturing several million molecules each slightly shorter than the circumference of the earth, and getting them all straight up into geostationary space "somehow" without fraying any of them.

Because the Earth is FLAT.

We can't leave the Flat Earth, there is a dome covering space.

There is no Mars, it's all a TAX SCAM from NASA.

Look at this bullshit CGI from NASA..

oh hey its the same crater in the middle

You should try getting a better telescope m8

ǝɯǝɯ ɹɐʍ pןɹoʍ sı sıɥʇ

sʇuɐɥɔɹǝɯ ʇou sʇɔɐɟ ǝsn

˙uoos˙˙uʍop sn ʇnɥs ןןıʍ (((ʎǝɥʇ))) ʍouʞ (noʎ) ǝsnɐɔǝq ʎןǝʇǝןdɯoɔ ʇǝu ǝɥʇ ɹosuǝɔ oʇ pǝɔnpoɹʇuı ǝɹɐ (((sʍɐן))) ǝɹoɟǝq ʍou ʇı op

sǝop buıʞɔnɟ ʇı ǝsnɐɔǝq˙˙˙ʇı uo spuǝdǝp uoıʇɐsıןıʌıɔ ɟo ǝɹnʇnɟ ǝɥʇ puɐ ǝɟıן ɹnoʎ ǝʞıן puɐ ʎןssǝןʇuǝןǝɹ ןןıɥs ˙ʇǝu ǝɥʇ ɟo ɐǝɹɐ ʎɹǝʌǝ ןןıɥs oʇ pǝǝu ǝʍ /ןod/

˙ǝɹɐɟɹɐʍ ןɐqıɹʇ puɐ "ןɐɹnʇןnɔ" ɥsıʍǝظ sı sıɥʇ ˙ʍǝظ ǝuo ʇsnظ ʇou s,ʇı ʇɐɥʇ ǝbɐssǝɯ ǝɥʇ ʇǝb ǝןdoǝd ʇɐɥʇ os ˙ǝןqıssod sɐ sǝıɯɹou ʎuɐɯ sɐ oʇ ɟooɹd ʍoɥs

ɔʇǝ spıʞ ʎuuɐɹʇ puɐ uoıʇdopɐ ʎɐb 'sɯooɹɥʇɐq xǝs ǝɯɐs 'ɯןq ˙ɥsnd ןɐuıɟ ɐ uı uʍop buıןqnop uǝǝq ʎןʇuǝɔǝɹ sɐɥ uɐʇɐs ɟo ǝbnobɐuʎs ǝɥʇ puɐ˙˙ɹɐʍ pןɹoʍ ןɐɔıboןoɥɔʎsd buıʞɔnɟ ɐ sı sıɥʇ ˙buıop ǝɹɐ sʍǝظ ʇɐɥʍ buısodxǝ ɹoɟ ɥsɐןʞɔɐq ɔıןqnd ɐ ɟo pıɐɹɟɐ ǝq oʇ pɹoɟɟɐ ɹǝbuoן ou uɐɔ (noʎ) ˙ʍou˙˙˙ǝɹɐʍɐ ǝuoʎɹǝʌǝ ǝʞɐɯ

˙uoɯǝp ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ ɟo sbuıʍ oʍʇ ˙sʍǝظ buıʍʇɟǝן puɐ ʇɥbıɹ 'ʎq pǝןqɐuǝ puɐ 'ʎq pǝsnɐɔ ןןɐ ˙ʇsǝʍ ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ sǝǝbnɟǝɹ pǝʇıɯıןun puɐ ןǝɐɹsı ɹǝʇɐǝɹb ɹoɟ sɹɐʍ uoɔoǝu ˙ʇı ǝǝs uɐɔ ןןɐ ǝʍ ˙ʎʇıuɐɯnɥ ʎoɹʇsǝp puɐ ǝʌɐןsuǝ oʇ sʇɹoɟɟǝ ɹıǝɥʇ pǝʇɐɹǝןǝɔɔɐ ǝʌɐɥ sʍǝظ
(((()))) ǝɥʇ ʞɔnɟ

NASA is a nothing more than a diversity program for women and WE WUZ's. You're kidding yourself if you think NASA engineers do anything, they don't. They're glorified astronomers.

Do you actually think in such cartoons? NASA is an organization, so it hires managers for management, PR for PR, accountants for accounting, and nerds for the nerd work. It's not a free range nerd safari with a chequebook

This. Also, meme billionaire's company and some traditional defense contractors are closer than you think. However any progress is (((classified))) since the government would like for NASA to get the credit. At the end of the day, it's still white males (not Bill Nye the Good Goy white males) doing the engineering to make it happen.

who said anything about a booster?

What the fuck is that diagram? Orion?

An orion launch would increase cancer deaths significantly.

No, no this would be specifically space related acceleration. launching with it is too unpredictable

ɹi∀ lǝq ɟo ǝɔuiɹԀ ǝɥʇ sɐ ǝuoɹɥʇ ʎɯ uo ʇis o┴
ǝɹǝɥʇ ʎllɐuiɟ sɐʍ I
ɯopƃuiʞ ʎɯ ʇɐ pǝʞool I
,ɹǝʇɐl ɐʎ llǝɯs sǝɯloɥ oY, ǝiqqɐɔ ǝɥʇ oʇ pǝllǝʎ I pu∀
8 ɹo ㄥ ʇnoqɐ ǝsnoɥ ǝɥʇ oʇ dn pǝllnd I

,ɹi∀ lǝq oʇ sǝɯloɥ 'oY, - ,ʇi ʇǝƃɹoɟ 'ɥɐN, ʇɥƃnoɥʇ I ʇnq
ǝɹɐɹ sɐʍ qɐɔ siɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ʎɐs plnoɔ I ƃuiɥʇʎuɐ ɟI
ɹoɹɹiɯ ǝɥʇ ui ǝɔip pɐɥ ʇi puɐ ɥsǝɹɟ piɐs ǝʇɐld ǝsuǝɔil ǝɥ┴
ɹɐǝu ǝɯɐɔ ʇi uǝɥʍ puɐ qɐɔ ɐ ɹoɟ pǝlʇsiɥʍ

,ɹi∀ lǝq ui ǝlɔun puɐ ǝiʇunɐ ɹnoʎ ɥʇiʍ ,uiʌoɯ ǝɹ,noY, piɐs ǝɥS
pǝɹɐɔs ʇoƃ ɯoɯ ʎɯ puɐ ʇɥƃiɟ ǝlʇʇil ǝuo ui ʇoƃ I
pooɥɹoqɥƃiǝu ʎɯ ui ǝlqnoɹʇ ƃuiʞɐɯ pǝʇɹɐʇS
pooƃ ou oʇ dn ǝɹǝʍ oɥʍ sʎnƃ ɟo ǝldnoɔ ɐ uǝɥM
looɥɔs ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝpisʇno llɐq-q ǝɯos uiʇooɥs llɐ pu∀
looɔ llɐ ,uixɐlǝɹ ,uixɐɯ ʇno ,uilliɥƆ
sʎɐp ʎɯ ɟo ʇsoɯ ʇuǝds I ǝɹǝɥʍ sɐʍ punoɹƃʎɐld ǝɥʇ uO
pǝsiɐɹ puɐ uɹoq ɐiɥdlǝpɐliɥԀ ʇsǝʍ uI

ɹi∀ lǝq pǝllɐɔ uʍoʇ ɐ ɟo ǝɔuiɹd ǝɥʇ ǝɯɐɔǝq I ʍoɥ noʎ llǝʇ ll,I
ǝɹǝɥʇ ʇɥƃiɹ ʇis o┴
ǝʇnuiɯ ɐ ǝʞɐʇ oʇ ǝʞil p,I pu∀
uʍop ǝpisdn pǝuɹnʇ-pǝddilɟ ʇoƃ ǝɟil ʎW
ʍoɥ ʇnoqɐ llɐ ʎɹoʇs ɐ si siɥʇ 'ʍoN

Because. When the said that he meant SpaceX.
SpaceX will be launching manned missions to Mars starting in 2020 with manned missions to the moon next year and a heavy lift vehicle debuting this year.

Private industry is doing it better. Amazons blue origin also plans to go to other planetary bodies in the same time frame.

>Can't deliver to LEO
Shit, those guys in the ISS mustn't eat much then

No, I'm saying the only people in NASA that are good at their jobs are the nerds, who probably overstep their area of expertise and try to meddle in all the other affairs of the organization because one thing straight-A engineers don't know is their own limitations.

Convince me the earth isn't flat.

Protip: you can't

i wish we would go all in and use nuclear bombs to provide thrust for spacecraft

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

it would make my cock explode

Private industry has always made rockets for nasa are you fucking stupid?

Boeing made the Saturn 5.

kek

SpaceX does it for them on contract.

Tldr nasa has value. The value of nasa is being a government contractor agency which bids out contracts to actually go do space exploration. This is the emerging model and it works SpaceX has done more from an engineering standpoint than nasa has done in 40 years since Apollo ended and has done so in under ten years.

We should not get rid of nasa we simply should not put nasa in charge of building mission infrastructure or launching it instead have them plan the mission and bid out for the rocket and spacecraft

Holy shit, there's a black person in that photo

On a cost plus contract because there was no competition so they could charge whatever they wanted (wound up at over a billion dollar a launch vehicle just for flags and footprints)

I know someone who works at JPL. They basically do nothing all day there. It's a dream job in a way.

Yeah going to the moon is expensive, especially the first time.

If musk does it cheaply, it's because he's riding other people's coat tails.

But he's a con artist, so i wouldn't trust what mr. "we live in a computer simulation" says.

>replacing O rings

I think my sides might have just exploded in LEO. Please stand by for confirmation, over.

>Because the moon landings were a hoax and NASA is just a giant welfare program for women with science degrees

This, here's some proof that Nasa has been total dogshit since day one.

shit, here's the proofs.

youtube.com/watch?v=SjnKa_PH4QQ

>ten percent of the federal budget
We'd have colonies across the solar system and be heading to Alpha Centauri if NASA had anything over 0.5% of discretionary.

oh come on, success never comes without sacrifices and risks, look at Colon and the explorers for fuck's sake

>Replacing O rings
kek

>Make NASA exempt from diversity hiring
More men working instead of doing PR stunts
>Increase funding
>Manage contracts better
>More nuclear power
>Establish moon bases first to learn how to survive in space for extended periods of time
>Then go to Mars

The problem with NASA is the same problem with every formerly-functioning government apparatus: Flooded with women and diversity-hires, rather than talent.

Under Democrat leadership, basically every government agency is a welfare system now. An agency which once put people on the moon is now saddled with dumping millions on research projects to study the impact of climate change on women in Stanistan, instead of funding actual useful projects and research. Any 'climate change' research at NASA is effectively an estrogen sink for female hires the same way HR departments are sinks at any corporate enterprise. Ie: They don't actually do anything useful, but its good PR and mandatory via regulations. So in the past, NASA was dedicated to doing one or two very specific things. Today, its budget is cannibalized by hundreds of do-nothing make-nothing fluff pieces that are ultimately meaningless.

Everyone wants to credit SpaceX for all its recent advances, but truth be told SpaceX is basically a government program (it is, its nearly entirely funded by the government) and is doing the things NASA used to be able to do but now can't, because of progressivism.

NASA will never reach Mars at this rate. Not until there's a general purge of staff and a drastic Executive Branch-level mandate that they MUST do it, with all other priorities and projects frozen.

NASA is the government, therefor NASA does nothing of value during times of peace.

Pic related, NASA's "talent". See circled for only one I'd fuck.

the good aerospace engineers moved to boeing and lockheed martin. NASA is permanently ruined, we need to let the private sector do it's thing. (even if the government subsidizes private firms)

The only man in that image is the only one working.

>filename
kek

fucking kek

You jackass. The person in charge of allocating the money to different projects to NASA is not even a NASA employee. He/She is appointed by the POTUS. The deputy administrator is in charge of that. Another major reason NASA costs so much to do anything is that they use strenuous safety requirements to oversee all projects.

The thing about SpaceX is that they rely heavily on NASA engineers to produce their rockets. Their safety requirements are lacking, at best, which is why they have such a high fail rate in comparison
The real fucked thing about it that SpaceX is competing for government grants, but are using NASA minds for their R&D.

Then use ios instead???

We have had UFO tech since at least the 50s, gtfo it you dumb faggot

The base of such an elevator would have to be ridiculously strong and would take up a massive area. It'd be much simpler to build a ship manufacturing station similar to the ISS

You fucking retard, once you're in space you can cut the engine and float there until it's time to decelerate. Zero gravity.

I think all the visionary types at NASA had their souls crushed after their post-Apollo dreams of moon bases and interplanetary nuclear tugs flying to Mars were mercilessly crushed and replaced with 30 years of a giant flying brick that couldn't really do anything. They were basically taken over by a much more risk-averse mentality so that they could safely continue operating without having their funding or projects cut.

Now that the shuttle is finally dead and commercial spaceflight is making great advances, things could actually start happening again. But it will take a while for NASA to shake off that "safe" way of thinking.

If you cut the engine you stop accelerating.

the challenger exploded too. Albeit in 1986 but it fucked a lot of things up and then the Columbia in 2003.

The airfilter was a quick, short-term fix. You're not seriously thinking about astronauts to Mars with air filters made of styrofoam, right?

>But it will take a while for NASA to shake off that "safe" way of thinking.

That's why the Russians kept kicking our asses in the space race. They didn't have to worry about public opinion because if their launches fail, they just tell everyone there was a fireworks display in Kazakhstan in honor of glorious communist utopia and everyone who doesn't believe it is executed. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it turned out Yuri Gagarin was actually the 3rd or 4th man in space and the first 3 burned up in the atmosphere or were launched at escape velocity and are still floating around up there.

What in the name of cancer is that shit? Dead machine of space No.1?
Returning. How?
Precision adjustments. How?
Keeping the equipment necessary to live. How?
Material resistance to the explosion?
The fuck?

Columbia disintegrated, it did not explode.

youtube.com/watch?v=gWhqLVkjK50

>respectable "scientists" jumping on the muh equality bandwagon

They're doing it out of fear at this point.

They created viable nuclear propulsion systems for planes a long time ago.

Look up project pluto and the SLAM (Supersonic Low Altitude Missile).

They designed, built, and successfully tested them.

Unfortunately, if a vehicle used a nuclear ramjet engine it would salt the earth in shitloads of radiation wherever it went.

So they said they discarded the project after they came out with plans for a drone version that could fly automated for months on end doing circles around the earth shitting radioactive exhaust everywhere. Did I mention they decided to design it to carry a shitload of nuclear warheads to drop wherever it went and had an estimated cruise speed that made the blackbird look like a cessna?

Just kidding they never scrapped the project. They built a bunch and moved them to underground hangars in Alaska to do some Dr. Strangelove shit if Russia ever actually meant business.

Codename Pandora, not to be confused with the online radio station.

India will be the first on mars, screencap this

how do you stop if there's no friction in space (barely)

you stop accelerating, your velicity stays nearly constant, dipshit

norks are testing nukes putting off more rads than any non active reactor could hope to do.

launch site is more important, don't launch from florida, launch from the place they did all that nuclear testing in the 50s

explain meteorites, and comet impact craters on earth then genius.

You can maintain a constant velocity but create acceleration by utilizing centrifugal force.

Create a big ass hamster wheel space living environment basically.

NASA is about funneling money to the (((right))) people. Just like most of the infested federal government.

slowing down is also considered an acceleration

>this whole fucking thread

> They don't even get 10% of the National budget.
user, they don't even get 1% of the national budget...

Checked, and it's for the reasons you don't want to hear tbqh

>Guess you're fucked bro

>He doesn't know the definition of acceleration