Positivism

Why arnt you a positivist yet?

>Positivism also holds that society, like the physical world, operates according to general laws
>Positivism is part of a more general ancient quarrel between philosophy and poetry, notably laid out by Plato
>The key features of positivism
>>A focus on science as a product, a linguistic or numerical set of statements;
>>A concern with axiomatization, that is, with demonstrating the logical structure and coherence of these statements;
>>An insistence on at least some of these statements being testable; that is, amenable to being verified, confirmed, or shown to be false by the empirical observation of reality. Statements that would, by their nature, be regarded as untestable included the teleological; thus positivism rejects much of classical metaphysics.
>>The belief that science is markedly cumulative;
>>The belief that science is predominantly transcultural;
>>The belief that science rests on specific results that are dissociated from the personality and social position of the investigator;
>>The belief that science contains theories or research traditions that are largely commensurable;
>>The belief that science sometimes incorporates new ideas that are discontinuous from old ones;
>>The belief that science involves the idea of the unity of science, that there is, underlying the various scientific disciplines, basically one science about one real world.
>>The belief that science is nature and nature is science; and out of this duality, all theories and postulates are created, interpreted, evolve, and are applied.

Are you too stupid to handle all this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SBduslyq2rA
braingate.org/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can write an article on why this is bullshit but you're probably too dumb/wouldn't listen anyways. All I'm going to say is think about every single sentence very carefully before opening your mouth asking why people don't accept, unilaterally, all of the "secret knowledge" you've supposedly found while browsing some faggy, mlp blog

Fedora tier

Because pol is basic. A bunch of subhuman proles. Ideologies this realistic can never be made available to the public.

/thread

because its for degenerates or something. being positive about things i disagree with is against my religion.

No.
It is litteraly the reason why brasil is shit.

I don't get it. Nothing really wrong with those beliefs but seems like a pretty empty ideology. Where are the ethics, what does it say about God, etc.?

Positivism runs into a lot of logical problems, just look at some of the problems Bertrand Russel when trying to construct everything axiomatically. Honestly Constructivism probably makes more sense as a logic-based philosophy.

I don't want to "be" anything

I'll form my own beliefs and if they happen to coincide with an existing ideology than that's just great.

Ethics do not exist in reality. They are made up by people. There are only two things in this world, what works and what does not work. This is a solely scientific approach.

God(s) is/are not a factor. If his existence is empirically proven then great and if it empirically disproven then also great.

I will follow your creed only under the promise that I will be able to artificially cultivate myself a specific waifu

Your body exists in reality but "you" exist also in your consciousness and human society, both places where ethics exist and are relevant. We're not trees, rocks, or robots, user, and our ideologies have to reflect that to be useful.

The future will be bright, even for people like you.

youtube.com/watch?v=SBduslyq2rA

>Ethics do not exist in reality
Fuck off retard. Everyone has ethics and it's influenced by culture and the individual. The only difference between individuals in the same culture is the degree of their ethics. Many cultures even have the same ethics so there are some universal ones. Get out of here with your fedora crap.

Not really. People are nothing but a giant chemical system. Your thoughts are only ions moving in and out of cells. This can all be quantified. Not only on a cellular level but a societal one as well.

For example we already have neural interface systems such as the BrainGate (braingate.org/) which employs these electrical brain signals in ways not natural to the human in order to achieve a change in the physical environment.

We really are just machines, just like rocks tres etc, we just have more complex chemical interaction than do "rocks" per say.

It's in our flag and it is shit
Like literally every other ideology besides the ones that created libertarians and fascists

determinists are not welcome here.

People may have ethics but this is the creation of the human. Ethics has no base in empirical data.

For example if you shoot an electron perpendicular through a magnetic field it will ALWAYS behave the same way. This behavior has been defined and is know to be empirically true. Ethics, on the other hand, are only based on opinion. If you think killing puppies is bad that is great and all but there is no empirical evidence that doing so is bad.

Another way to think about it is by asking what would happen if all humans died right now. The electron would still move the way it does but there would be no one to opinionated that killing puppies is bad.

Ethics is about as real as a "gender spectrum"

Good argument

However the topic of determinism is interesting. Since our thoughts are just the movement of ions you could assume that our actions and outcomes as humans are determined by the laws these particles follow. However, you can also argue that our interactions with the environment, assuming they are of free will, shape our thoughts and spirit. The latter argument can be seen indirectly supported by the ideas of neural plasticity and epigenetics.

>Why arnt you a positivist yet?
>Are you too stupid to handle all this?

>be positivist
>only empirically falsifiable propositions have semantic content
>positivism not falsifiable
>hurr durr

Positivism, by its very definition, can be proven wrong. It is a science, as it attempts to apply scientific empiricism to society and humanity. Thus, as an expansion of science, must be falsifiable.

Your body is the chemical system, "you" are only your consciousness. Like, your brain is the hardware but you are the OS. It's true that all those .exe and.dll files are just energy trapped by silicon when the computer is shut off or the OS uninstaleed but that doesn't really matter because as long as you're alive and conscious the OS is functionally real

listen you double nigger: what empirical fact could falsify the proposition "only falsifiable propositions have meaning"

oh wait none because it's metaphysics. fuck off and suck betrand russell's cock, and at least find a metaphysics that isn't a century outdated

That is true. The function of the object is what matters. The function of moving ions to create consciousness is the ultimate function. Positivism does not argue against this. It just states that there is nothing metaphysical about consciousness and that every consciousness can be examined and quantified.

>Why arnt you a positivist yet?
Because Karl Popper killed it.

Remains to be seen, really. Plenty of very intelligent and learned people would disagree with you on that.

>Ethics do not exist in reality.
>What is natural law?
Stop being a nihilistic retard kid.

>"only falsifiable propositions have meaning"

This is similar to Plato. Only the forms have meaning. This is because they never change and last/exist beyond that of humanity.

Light is a particle and a wave, Human belief and feelings will not change this. Yet, this is falsifiable as we may not fully understand light yet.

Ethics has no meaning because it is changed simply by opinion. It is also not falsifiable. If I say killing puppies is bad there is no way to prove that to be false or right within the context of empiricism. Ethics does not exist beyond humans and is dependent on us.

Disagree with what specifically?

That's not what falsifiable means. Finish junior high, get into college and then we can talk about philosophy.

That there is nothing metaphysical about consciousness. But that wasn't really my original point. Even if metaphysics are bogus ethics still matter from a utilitarian standpoint so fuck off with the nihilism