How do we know if something is right or wrong

How do we know if something is right or wrong

Bump. C'mon Sup Forums

Our feels and how much they mirror society.

Prove me wrong.

To let it happen and recognize the fruits of it.

For example...?

This

Is it wrong for two men to sleep together? Is it wrong to chop off the right hand of a thief? Is it wrong to deny someone the ability to vote? Is it wrong to invade another country for resources? Is it wrong to kill someone who invades your house?
And how do we distinguish between good fruit, and bad fruit? I'm all for evidence-based policies, but this doesn't help us recognize when to pull the plus on programs, policies etc. One person says that the aid provided to illegal immigrants is good, and another says that the aid provided to illegal immigrants is wrong- who should we listen to? We could go on, and on, desu.
Do you deny any kind of objective morality then? If a society exists where rape is practised, is that wrong?

If it affects another being in a negative way

Depends on what you mean by negative. I believe that redistributing wealth is a moral good, and will use force if necessary to enforce that view /s

>How do we know if something is right or wrong
Are we philosophy 101 now

And even if we grant the existence of God (which I privately think is reasonable), then how do we ascertain whether or not something is right or wrong? Holy books are notoriously unreliable for this.

First Principles
Occam's Razor
--
advanced:
empirical evidence & logical theory = true

Choice of pic. is your answer " The Cowboy Way "
Follow ur GUT instinct.

>Is it wrong for two men to sleep together?
As long as it doesnt negatively affect people around them.

>Is it wrong to chop off the right hand of a thief?
Does it prevent more theft?
No? Then no.
Yes? Then sure.

>Is it wrong to deny someone the ability to vote?
Tough Q. IMO... That someone should earn that rights rather than immediately getting the rights once they reach the correct age. It's like making sure you don't give stupid gullible people power.

>Is it wrong to invade another country for resources?
Its right for the invader, its wrong for the victim.

>Is it wrong to kill someone who invades your house?
Fuck yeah, you have to show people that you can be messed with. Ending up like a pussy will invite more potential invaders.

It all comes down to one side of the situation. You can rarely have the right situation for both sides.

What's right for one is always wrong for someone else.

Your feels will reflect your thinking. Not the other way around. Examples:

Right
>I know all Jews are bad, and therefore, I'm emotionally ok with them all being gassed
Wrong
>I know all Jews are bad but I wish they weren't and feel bad for them so I'll pretend some are ok and others can be made ok. Yay I love civic nationalism and richard spencer!

>Is it wrong for two men to sleep together?
no
>Is it wrong to chop off the right hand of a thief?
yes
>Is it wrong to deny someone the ability to vote?
no, complex reasoning behind it tho
>Is it wrong to invade another country for resources?
yes
>Is it wrong to kill someone who invades your house?
yes, except when you have reasonable belief that he might attack / kill you

>Do you deny any kind of objective morality then? If a society exists where rape is practised, is that wrong?
objective morality exists, this is self-evident. Yes, rape is universally and always wrong.

You have to define right and wrong first.

It's trickier than you might think.

The difference of good and bad fruit have been set up by God. He proclaimed it by nature. But because man turned from nature, God gave us the law through Moses. So we can distinguish it easier.

For example. When you create a law, and you need 10 more laws to prevent people from misusing that one law, it shows that the first law is the problem, no the solution.

Honor God only.
Do not bow down to statues.
Do no use the name of the Lord in vain.
Keep the Sabbath
Honor your father and your mother.
Do not kill.
Do not steal.
Do not commit aldultery.
Don't bear a false testimony.
Do not covet anything that belongs to your neighbour.

People know these laws, it not exactly, they know it like this:
Give to God what belongs to God, and treat your fellow man like you would like to be treated.

What happens to you when you do the exact opposite of these laws?

You honor all gods with all their requirements.
You treat religious symbols are sacred and bow down to them.
You claim to honor God/gods better than anyone else, vanity.
You will not keep the day of rest.
You damn your father and mother.
You kill.
You steal.
You commit adultery.
You're a liar.
You desire to have the riches, possession and wealth of others.

Which of these two sets sounds more righteous?
Which fruits are good, which are bad, even you know.

Not in that particular society, everything is relative.

Would this be considered pragmatism?

It doesn't seem consistent or rigorous, but it has to fall under some category

>some category
yeah that's "opinion"

So, whoever is able to sway the opinions of the crowd, wins? No wonder out governments spend so much time trying to keep us docile.

no..
morality is objective (it has to be) and optional
>optional
that is the important part
----
any theory, including moral theories, have to be consistent and objective because reality itself is consistent and objective (compare to dreams: subjective and inconsistent)

so if you have a moral theory that says "murder is moral when I do it but immoral for you", that's inconsistent.. just an example.

>No wonder out governments spend so much time trying to keep us docile.

Our governments spend a lot of money to indoctrinate children that taxation is not theft and that murder is okay when you are wearing a costume.