Bill Nye Cultural Appropriation

Hey Sup Forums - I just started a YouTube channel to try and talk about how stupid I think Bill Nye's show is. Any feedback?

youtu.be/J-sdM2g9Djo

This is politics related because Bill Nye tries to connect science to social justice politics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Jx3drhbx-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>immediately stuttering
You're a fucking retard and your channel will die

I tried a different version where I read from a script and didn't stutter at all. I uploaded this one instead because it felt more authentic / relocatable. Here my thoughts aren't scripted out, but I'm just talking off the top of my head on a subject I've thought about.

Would you prefer a video with no stuttering or um's or uh's but where the content was essentially being read from a script?

I'm just being harsh because that's how I would be treated if I shilled my stuff on Sup Forums. Unfortunately I'm the motherfucker that saw your thread. Try again later.

Implying you can talk any better, fucking leafs man.

>talk any better

Posting reaction images of trump. Why not use Trudeau?

Because Trudeau is a faggot and I want to see him publicly executed, not in my reactions folder.

That's alright. I posted it here because I wanted feedback, and to share the content I created. I'm planning on going through more of Bill Nye's stuff and doing similar reviews, but I want to find a good style.

Yeah, nobody cares.
Your content is shit.
Your dreams are shit.
You are shit.

Right on man. Do your thing, I actually feel bad for being a dick so here's a non-sage post. And here's a picture of Trudeau to appease that dumb burger.

spend more time in the creative process.
people who spend more time playing with their ideas usually come out with a better finished product.

Your biggest mistake is having it go for 20 minutes.

He is greedy. You get more money for a 15+ minute video on YouTube.

>I want to see him publicly executed

Nice edge there.

But I do agree with you that OP shouldn't stutter. It's pretty pathetic he's even shilling on here.

That's not a thought that even crossed my mind.
I'm speaking in regards to attention spans. Even with an effective hook longer videos suffer unless you're hooking by making your audience angry enough to disregard their attention span telling them to go watch another mister gear video.

After actually watching it, here's my advice:

Make sure you're doing the basics when it comes to the audio mix and recording. If you're using a desk mic, put a t-shirt under the stand to absorb a lot of background noise/low frequency noise. Use Audacity or something similar to mix it optimally, you can use this video for reference:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Jx3drhbx-g

>I'm gonna powerpoint myself to Sup Forums fame

fuck off you kike

All anger aside, I found the show really weird. Mainly from a tonal standpoint. It almost felt conceptually like a satire on crazy SJWs and leftys, but was actually serious? Strange, it looked like a severly unfunny SNL episode.

That's good advice. As I mentioned earlier, I tried doing a scripted version of this. My scripted version was slightly over 10 minutes. I liked that the scripted version was more focused, and more to the point. However, it felt somewhat robotic and inauthentic - like I was reading from a script or doing a school presentation or something like that. I wound up going with the unscripted version instead, even though it is less focused. Thanks for your feedback though, I'm keeping track of the feedback I get and will try to focus on doing better.

That's good to know. However, greed isn't my motivation (yet). I like to give my opinion on things and I'm trying to work out whether or not I can do that in a way that other people will be interested in. I don't expect to make any money from this, and I think it would be fairly silly to expect that.

>It's pretty pathetic he's even shilling on here.
Why is that pathetic? I watch a ton of YouTube videos like this. I browse pol a lot. pol has been talking about Bill Nye. Offering a link to the video, one time, where I talk about a topic that pol is talking about doesn't seem pathetic to me.

>It's pretty pathetic he's even shilling on here.
it's content that's geared towards pol related topics, and this is how you build an audience. give the guy a fucking break.

i would follow the script to a degree, and go off on tangents from the script once you've started. it'll cut down on the dead air (which there wasn't much desu), stutters, and repeating "umms". still, it wasn't bad.

my biggest criticism is what the other user said about cutting down the length, and using more cuts in your editing. like whenever you quote someone or when you talk about the suits being culturally appropriated, cut to a new image. the more cuts you have, the longer people will watch your video. still, not bad, dude.

Bill Nye sold out to get them shekels on netflix talking about everything in a way that isnt even scientific to say the least.

Your voice has a very dull and monotonous quality to it. Very indepth though, I suggest the use of, not quite a script (although do if needed) but something to prevent stuttering. Engage your viewer more and edit vids more concisely. Good luck in the future.

>Your voice has a very dull and monotonous quality to it.
this, too. i think the script might help alleviate that as well though.

Thanks for the feedback. Editing is actually something I need to work on / learn how to do. I took a "shortcut" with the editing this time by just doing the whole video in one shot, that way I didn't have to do any editing. I have been figuring out how to use some video editing software though. In the future, I'll do a different shot for each slide, that way I can get one slide down well, and edit each of my "good" versions next to each other for a whole presentation of only the best take from each slide.

What don't you like about the powerpoint?

i could help with the editing software if you've got any questions, big guy. was gonna message you on youtube, but you've disabled messages.

i subbed anyway. my first videos were shit (different type of content entirely though), but after around the fourth or fifth one you find your rhythm. it's all about repetition, just like anything else really.

Write your words and I might read them. I wont even click on a youtube link. I can read an article in seconds, why would i want to spend minutes watching some cunt rambling on

Thanks, I appreciate that. Right now my editing questions are probably best solved by google, just real simple things like how to arrange two clips next to each other. I've got Lightworks and I think I understand how to do it right now.

Also thanks for pointing out that I have messages disabled on my channel. I'll correct that in a minute!

Thanks, I did write the scripted version, and I have a website I can put the scripts up on. As I reference at the end of the video I plan on making some videos on topics that I've already written about on my website, e.g. the immigration crisis in Sweden - yourtalllife.com/article?articleName=Sweden

I'll need to format and edit my script for typos before I post it, otherwise I'd share the link with you. I do think this is good feedback though. People like to consume content in different mediums.

> it felt somewhat robotic and inauthentic - like I was reading from a script or doing a school presentation or something

Rehersal is a big part of script reading to avoid this very thing. Think of it like breaking in new shoes.

>Your voice has a very dull and monotonous quality to it

This. I suggest OP should at least sound more enthuastic and add more humor if he wants to create better content to eventually gain an audience.

Thanks. Feedback on my voice being monotonous has been fairly consistent. This is something I'll definitely try and work on.

One of the influences that was in my mind while I was doing this was Sam Harris. His voice always sounds steady and calm, which is the kind of sound I was going for. I see now though that I may have gone to monotonous instead.

>This is something I'll definitely try and work on.

If you manage not fuck it up, I'll be curious to see your other Bill Nye segments. You make interesting points which I agree with but your voice is dull so it's hard to get through it.

If you don't mind me asking though what other bill nye segments were you going to discuss?

I'm working on my next idea right now. It hasn't come together into a fully thought out video yet.

One thing I definitely want to respond to is his episode on gender. I'll argue that you can tell to what extent gender is social versus biological by changing society and seeing if gendered behavior changes, or changing biology and seeing if gendered behavior changes. In other words, are there other cultures around the world or through history where women are bigger, stronger, more violent, typically leaders/inventors/authors etc? If there are, then that means gendered behavior is influenced by social rules. If there aren't that suggests the opposite.

Similarly, are there animal species where the females are bigger and stronger and if so, are females more violent, do they take on leadership roles, etc? As an example, female orcas can be bigger than males, in addition to being intelligent social creatures, and can dominate and lead packs.

I haven't seen all the episodes of season one, so I'm going through and watching them all. The thing that stands out to me the most is how "science" is used as a setting. This is the type of thing that is done in Star Wars for example. Science is there to make pretty pictures or settings, but nothing in the plot is really scientific or realistic. Similarly, Bill Nye's show has him doing things like pouring fluid into a beaker while the audience applauds and oohs and aaahs. They are using science as entertainment and then tacking on social ideas to that.

I need to finish watching before I now exactly how I'm going to respond. But, from everything I've seen so far, I suspect there is a lot of material here.

Who are you even replying to?