Why isnt voting mandatory...

why isnt voting mandatory? why not make it compulsory for eligible people to show up at at a polling station to vote even if they choose to vote for nobody?

shouldnt people have the right to have a government that actually reflects 100% of their society?

Other urls found in this thread:

elections.nsw.gov.au/voting/penalties_for_not_voting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

not voting is the truest form of freedom

Mandatory in based aus

duh. those in power dont want the proles to vote. look at how much money republicans spend on suppressing the vote and repealing the voting rights act.

poor people voting is the worst nightmare of the wealthy power elites.

how does that work?

what is the penalty for skipping out on voting?

im not suggesting that people have to vote but merely show up at the polls when a vote is happening.

not entirely sure mate but from what i know each suburb has their own place where they vote and you tick your name off of a list outside the place (authorities are nearby so no one fucks with it) and you go in and do your vote, it can be a donkey vote which is like a fake vote. Failure to get ur name ticked off can result in a fine which is like $50 and you can get your driver's license taken away or be taken to court in some instances

Are there any interesting historical reasons for it?

dunno but it's probably just a way for the government to make money out of voting

>i want the poor, disinterested, and retarded to compose 70% of my electorate
have fun with communism

i think it makes it harder to buy votes since most votes are bought from people who have no real interest in voting.

You could buy your votes from an aussie by inviting them to a barbecue with a couple of cold ones

wtf? your ballots are ranked?

that is kind of neat.

how are yours done

Yeah, democracy is dangerous if there is a large retard demographic in the population.
If voting was made mandatory, I'd be 100% in favor with the deep state (don't let the Jews make voting mandatory).

we pick one person cause if a ballot gets multiple people checked then it is a dud.

Do you like that way?

OP is sad he didnt get made a electoral college delegate

i did locally
for ron paul

booyah reddit nigger get back to ur 9-5

inb4 anyone suggests voting day be made federal holiday

fuck you nigger, i wouldve voted for trump if i wasnt a leaf.

i actually wanted to discuss the implications of such a system. im not some faggot redditor who thinks the system should be changed because i lost.

i think people would be more inclined to actually learn more about candidates and what they actually stand for if they are going to have to make some sort of decision.

as for the ranked ballot thing im not sure if its better or not. what exactly is the point of it?

Its mandatory here.

We use two round system, this means we give vote for one candidate and if the most voted candidate have less than +50% of the votes, there is a second round with top 2 candidates where we vote for one candidate between the top.

this 50% of the votes, means just the guys that voted at an candidate, if you dont vote, vote at an candidate that doenst exist by picking a random number, or pick the "blank vote" choice, it wont count as "valid votes".

Obviously this valid vote thing is a bullshit idea. If only 20% of the population give votes to some candidate, and this candidate get 75% of those votes, he will win at the first round, with just 15% of total electors.
If he gone to a second round with the second most voted candidate he would have an chance to lose (assuming more people give valid votes), but our shitty system dont think logically about their election rules and dont see that flaw in its rules

In aus I don't think you're voting for a person per se, but a party and since there are more than one they give you the option to rank them. As far as being concerned with the candidates, cunts don't really care here, we all know they're going to lie and backstab us in the end

we do vote for a person who is the parties representative in my riding.

ye same here

Voting should be mandatory and people who dont vote should be punished

Doesn't that still mean the most favourable person wins?

>100% of their society?

Have you ever been outside of mom's basement? Go take a good look at "society" and tell me how many of those mongs you want to have power over your destiny.

It is mandatory here

>shouldnt people have the right to have a government that actually reflects 100% of their society?

It also gives the illusion of representation as it means about 40% of the vote simply because its mandatory and tend to vote for parties they wouldnt otherwise.

>how does that work?
They pressure kids with other kids to register then fine you if you dont.

>what is the penalty for skipping out on voting?
A $20-50 fine. Although they once jailed a lolberterain who went around with pamphlets to convince people not to vote.

Major parties realising that without the first past the post way of counting this is an easy to get more votes as normies dont research or vote third party as much.

Unless it's changed recently, the penalty is an $80 fine. It only goes to court if you dispute it, and I've never heard of anyone getting their driver's licence taken away for that.

from here on dowhill

Are australian spiders ancap?

>poor people voting is the worst nightmare of the wealthy power elites.

Its actually fantastic for them because

1. (((their))) governments can claim to represent %100 of the population

2.The mass of media receptive normies dilutes the influence of radicals and outsiders.

i kind of like that idea... its almost like a football tournament.

>liking the american meme sport

Nah, they have no respect for private property. I slaughter them daily for their NAP violations

im talking about soccer

State Debt Recovery Action
The State Debt Recovery Office may issue a penalty notice enforcement order against you. This may lead to the cancellation or suspension of your drivers licence, cancellation of your car registration or worse.

elections.nsw.gov.au/voting/penalties_for_not_voting