Do you know how to read and write in cursive?

strawpoll.me/12875846

>A single sentence, uttered in the trial of George Zimmerman for the shooting of teenager Trayvon Martin, has catapulted an issue into the national spotlight.

>When asked if she could read a letter in court, witness Rachel Jeantel, her head bowed, murmured with embarrassment, "I don't read cursive," according to court testimony.

>Is it any surprise that cursive -- the looped, curvaceous style of handwriting that's been a mainstay of education for generations -- is all but dead?
source: cbsnews.com/news/is-cursive-writing-dead/

Should cursive be allowed to die? I learned cursive in school around 10 years old (I was born in 1987) and today I asked my daughter's teacher if they teach cursive in schools anymore and she said no and kinda of laughed it off. I feel like it's a more dignified way of writing and more important to know as opposed to texting and autocorrect making people shitty at spelling and grammar.
>"LoL wer U @ brah?"
What do you guys think?

I think it's a valuable lesson to learn. I was made to write in cursive from the 2nd through the 5th grade. I was surprised when in the 6th grade our teachers didn't mind us using plain old print script. To this day I still write in a combo of the two.

born 86

i can read that sentence

think of the Constitution if nothing else... it looks beautiful in cursive

Born in 83 and I can read it and write it

I can make it out but can hardly write it. It is basically a dead language and will only continue to become more and more useless. Typing skills is what is being taught and what is important in our modern age. Hardly anyone puts pen to paper and if they do standardized print is more productive and easily taught.

In the coming years it will be a secret code we use after the day of the rope to send communications.

do you care either way if it dies out, or your children or grandchildren never learn it?

It is already dead, like latin. We don't teach it

How is it not obvious?

I also write a combo of print and cursive, I occasionally practice cursive though because my older coworkers and professors write notes in cursive.

I used to write only in cursive. I went to private school until second grade, and we learned to write in cursive. Then my dad lost his job in the tech crash, and I had to to public school. I had to relearn how to write because the teacher couldn't read or write cursive.

Born '98. We were taught to write it in years 3 and 4, and I can read it just fine, but fuck it's so wide

cursive writing alters how you think, it allows thoughts to be expressed smoothly and logically. Don't fall for the handwriting jew, learn to write smoothly with the large muscles in your arm. Its not about the pen never leaving the paper its the concept that all words and sentences are connected in your mind, you don't actually have to connect all the lines but all print writing should be a cursive shorthand and not a unique kind of chicken scratch that your 5 year old brain cooked up while slacking off in elementary school.

I can puzzle it out, but I can't read it in real-time anymore. Haven't seen anything written in cursive since elementary school. Writing it would be a mix of print and cursive, depends which shape is easier.

Learned in 3rd grade and it was never used again for anything.

No cursive should not die, but no one should be forced to use it. I think it will never doe because almost everyone signs thier name in cursive

>Learn cursive in 3rd grade. >Learn how to write my name.
>Never use it for anything else again.

It makes your signature pretty but it's useless for anything else.

Writes in all caps and only uses cursive for my signature crew checking in

90 . I can read and write it. Maybe its so future kids can never have a chance at reading the constitution

How do you sign checks and legal documents then?

It is useful only in its purpose to allow you to develop your own print cursive hybrid which is quicker to write

Cursive leads to communication errors, and the purpose of writing is to communicate. It results in prescription errors and that shit's no joke.

Enjoy it like calligraphy. Otherwise it's just a way to write with primitive ink pens.

Only used it from like 3rd to 5th grade. Then never again. 15yrs later now and I couldn't write in cursive if my life depended on it.

>sign checks

just how senile are you

>tfw have an hard time to read cursive

No. People will write later in life like retards anyway, but cursive in elementary serves the purpose of developing much better eye-to-hand coordination.
That goes for most subjects you learn in schools, it is not about what you will use later in life, it is about training your brain to deal with different tasks and solve problems.

born in 76.

to me, printing is more odd than cursive. we wrote in nothing but cursive almost my entire time in school.

it should be mandatory to type cursive and non-cursive and also be at least trilingual.

dude i wrote a cheque today, and I'm under 30. not dead yet

It allows you to write down your ideas faster and more coherently than the chicken pecking bullshit like kids write in today. If i had to write everything a letter at a time i'd lose interest pretty quickly and i'm sure the quality of my writing would suffer.

You can just put an x, you don't need to write shit. Don't fall for the signature jew

Born in '88 here.

During the insane shitfuck that Ontario's schools were in the 90's - I was taught about half the alphabet in cursive in about grade 3.

Why only half, you ask? Simple. One day some dumb cunt from the board came in and blasted my male teacher: "Cursive? These kids need to learn to TYPE!"

So the next day the school took away our cursive books and we spent the next three months learning to type. Something all of us already had taught ourselves to do.

On the upside, we were able to find boobs on the internet.

>do you care if it dies out
The only people who use cursive are those who ironically have the worst handwriting and are just trying to be pretentious

You don't count, you also put milk in bags when Tetra Paks have been around since the 50s

kek'd no fucking way senpai

kek, came here to post this

I was taught and only write in cursive. Problem is my hand writing is poor as I hardly need to write anymore.

Mfw I've only used microsoft word for about 5 years and my hand writing went from presentable to the point where I cant write joined up and I can barely write the basic versions of the actual letters.

And since part of my post got cut of. I was born in 97.

Cursive is fucking easy, it's just normal writing except you join all the characters in a word.
What's not to understand?

We were also fucked in my private catholic school. Also we got really bad scholastic advice. Wakawaka!

No but serious they made us write cursive with our left and type with our right hand at the same time for months. It still fucks with me to this day.

Taught in middle and high school how to read/write it. Got into the real world, no one uses it or wants you to write in it.

I only use cursive to write my name.

Born in '91, can read and write in cursive.

The (((teacher's unions))) are doing whatever they can do dumb down the curriculum and make their jobs easier though, and have been. I'm not surprised so many my age can't write it. It wasn't heavily emphasized, and I just kept writing like that because it was a more fun way to write and more beautiful and individualistic.

look at the difference between lower case Z and cursive Z..... they look nothing alike. Same with many other letters

All-caps master race checking in, I write in cursive for notes and all caps when I'm writing for normies to read. My friend calls it "dad handwriting," because she claims only old guys write in all caps.

cursive is significantly easier to write, rather than just printing, which also happens to look like shit. it's normal writing except faster, looks better and you can simplify characters. who doesn't enjoy handwriting?

embarassing

God damn, when I read you were born in 1998 I thought you'd be underage. Years are going by so fast.

That's some fancy handwriting. I can read it all, being a man though, mine doesn't nearly have as much flair but it's easily done.

Cursive lower case z doesn't look that different. For real differences you have lower case q and x.

Cool
How bout Sütterlin?
Because cursive is going the way of Sütterlin

Born in 92 and I can read and write in cursive
I learned cursive in 3rd grade

Checks are still very common in America for some things.

>cursive notes, caps for normal
>Dad writing

I IMMEDIATELY thought this, my dad does the exact same thing.

Cursive is still the norm in the UK.
Anything else is pleb tier.

Well no shit. That's the main reason cursive is the way it is. Each letter flows into the next.

lower case z and cursive z are the same thing you cretin

written in sharpie on my monitor, thanks fuckers

Cursive z looks more like the number 3 ...

I can read cursive just fine but if I tried to write in it it'd probably look pretty shit since I very rarely ever had to actually do it in real life since learning it.

Born in 72. I can (duh) read and write in cursive but I never liked writing in it because I am left handed and shit would smear. Palmer method printing was the shit.

cursive will be replaced by "syntax" style of writing

please allow me to translate your cursive into syntax:

>from="Ylenderson"
>to="Ken"
>time="20170700"
>status=howAre(to)
>d sendGreetings(to,"doing well",0)
>d bookRental(time+1)
>

Another sacrifice on the altar of diversity, how much further do we need to lower the bar?

TFW I work with a guy (labor/still cannot be automated) and he writes like he's signing the Declaration of Independence.

I laffed

My nephew told me the other day they don't teach cursive in school anymore so I'm teaching him and making him learn. It's sad how much penmanship has gone down the drain. I don't expect everyone to be a master of Carolingian minuscule but the fact that most kids these days can't write properly in cursive is disgusting. Show some class you fucking maggots.

Oldfag here. Cursive is still way faster for making notes and expressing thoughts on paper. Should still be taught in schools.
>inb4 we have laptops for that
If you create a dependence on all things electronic, you've already lost.

I can literally read Japanese better than cursive. That's fucking sad. Why did you make me contemplate this?

Can both write and read it (usually, unless it's a chicken scratch handwriting). English isn't my first language, just wanted to write in smoother moves like I used to. Now I use both.

many merchants don't want to pay transaction fee's to (((Visa))) and (((Mastercard))) or big banks, so they accept cash or cheque only

ell o ell

This. Even when you learn brachygraph, writing in cursive just makes for easier and faster note taking than blocks, and it makes you feel like you are building concepts, not letters.

I was amazed at how note-taking isn't still an integral part of study and review in schools. That's how I learned to memorize things in a single day: write them out and explain them while doing so. Block letters simply do not work for such a personalized and dynamic activity.

Actually, how do kids even memorize stuff? Brute force repetition?

1994 here. Learned it in 4th grade along with writing a paycheck.

Wtf is that

i was practicing cursive at home when i was around 7 years old. i wanted to learn it

how does pic related look like a z ???

>tfw I am one of such merchants

There's just basically no real need for it in an increasingly digitized world.

Born in 1990 and grew up in Israel. Unfortunately Hebrew doesn't have cursive and no one in school taught us how to write or read it. Over the years I began writing in semi cursive and can read almost fine but never quite grasped it.

Google is your friend you mouth breathing retard

Fucking weeb, kill yourself

>Do you know how to read and write in cursive?

What am I? White?

>Rachel Jeantel

If Ebonics is a real language, why doesn't it have a dictionary and shit?

I know cursive. I am very good at it.

Writing is a poor form of language communication now. We have these things called computers. There is ZERO use for physical writing. ALL business is conducted via the computer. No, kids should not waste their time on a useless skill.

Born '84.
I can read that sentence.

kek

A question to you burgers that can't read cursive.

Don't you need to take large amounts of notes, like when I was in School I would fill at least 2 pages of AA size paper per class. Cursive is kinda a must since it's faster.

haha, you mean how does a Z, look like pic related.

THOSE ARE GOOD NIBS. I USE HUNT SPEEDBALL BRAND, MYSELF.

>jewgle
>friend

>almost everyone signs thier name in cursive

lol

Signatures are for faggots

>born 86
We're birth year bros, bro! How can other years even compete?

Fun fact: the cursive "z" derives from the Scottish letter "yogh." Yogh makes a "y" sound, but when the printing press was introduced to Scotland, most printers substituted "yogh" for "z" because they look similar.

It is for this reason that the Scottish surname "MacKenzie" is pronounced with a "z" instead of its original pronunciation "Mak-en-yee."

Ouch

Went to Catholic school. '93 here. They made us write in cursive. Now, I kinda write in a mix of it, but often write down notes just cursive.

I like it a lot. Learning Russian helped

Just type them, unless you're poor or something. Even people who can write cursive "fast" barely hit 50WPM, and an idiot can type faster than that. Anyone with some practice can easily hit 100WPM typing.

How can you not read cursive? It's closer to the print language you and I are typing in versus Japanese.

>constitution written in cursive
>dumb fuck on jury can't read it
ON JURY
CAN'T READ CONSTITUTION ohhh fuck me REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not very well. I don't have all of the cursive alphabet memorized. I usually just write my name in it. Sometimes I write in cursive to people I know can't read cursive just to be a dick.