LIBRARY OF BABEL - Sup Forums needs to see this -- i'm shitting my pants

>guy creates algorithm
>it contains everything

>Divided into pages, it is built to produce and locate on demand any 3200 character combination of English letters and the comma, space and period.
>Basile has organized it all into hexagon-shaped rooms, each with four walls of books containing five shelves with 32 volumes of four hundred and ten pages each.
>Each page is given a unique sequential page number in base 10. The text on each page is encased inside this number.
>An algorithm Basile created uses the page number as a seed to generate a unique big number. That output is then converted into base 29 so that it can be represented using every letter in the English alphabet as well as the comma, the space and the period.
>Basile has made sure that the algorithm will produce every possible combination and the same page number will create the same output every time.
>Which means that what is on each page is already predetermined.
>every page already exists. It only needs to be looked up.
>The contents of a page can be converted to base 10, sent through the inverted algorithm and turned into the exact page number they're found on.
>It's a truly eerie experience, because you can find the permanent location for any 3200 character text.
>You can find in this library the description of your birth, every possible description of your death, every poem, every joke, every lie, anything that could be said can be found on this site.
>10 to the 5,000 different pages are offered by the Library of Babel.
>In comparison, there are only 10 to the 80 atoms in the observable universe.

youtu.be/GDrBIKOR01c?t=1020
@ 17 minutes

TEXT: libraryofbabel.info/search.html
>go here
libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?,enqnmgbz209:1
>ctrf f "donald"

it's Sup Forums related because it brings up questions about with free will/determinism/history
and also legal issues (it contains EVERY possible image that could be made)

Other urls found in this thread:

libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?jno,mcouql,eovf_gf,rmwpgiw345
libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?dkptrjctnggmadhrskyt281
libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?,enqnmgbz209:1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you don't read much do you faggot this literature is easily over 80s years old. next you will try convince us that house of leaves is some revelation that we should all read you faggot.

>overgrainers colobomas weltanschauungs nonrioting should claimers di
gs reduit irradiant starlit becrimed jooks valorise lensed landholders interline
ates kludgy flak caisson mashers gannisters democratise misogynic mozzarella fur
nitures tsutsugamushis barbastelle spumonis presbytery ossicle labrusca chumming
apostilles pseudopodia disbars
so, it's a website with 10^5000 pages of random text?

BORGES
O
R
G
E
S

The tower of babel was a spaceship that got shot out of the sky and the life pods scattered across the world. So many decades past before they found each other that everyone spoke different languages.

what you just wrote is on this page
libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?jno,mcouql,eovf_gf,rmwpgiw345

your post is here
libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?dkptrjctnggmadhrskyt281

Did the page exist before he typed it though?

Yeah, that Library sure is something.

This is stupid because he could just map every English word to a number and reduce his search space. He could have a different library for every language and it would still be smaller.

>Did the page exist before he typed it though?
yes
>>Basile has made sure that the algorithm will produce every possible combination and the same page number will create the same output every time.
>>Which means that what is on each page is already predetermined.
>>every page already exists. It only needs to be looked up.

Wow. He invented a compression algorithm. That has literally never been done before.

It's pretty interesting. Has nothing to do with determinism really, it's not of philosophical importance because, while containing all information about the past and future it's impossible to tell what is correct.

It's sort of like saying 'when i flip this two sided coin, it will land on one of the two sides, therefore i know the future'

It's literally just a compression algorithm. Except that it's useless in all other scenarios that don't involve compressing a random string of 3200 characters in base29

Welcome to Sup Forums - Politically Incorrect
This board is for the discussion of news, world events, political issues, and other related topics.

Off-topic and Sup Forums-tier threads will be deleted (and possibly earn you a ban, if you persist). Unless they are quality, well thought out, well written posts, the following are examples of off-topic and/or Sup Forums-tier threads:

>Red pill me on X. (with no extra content or input of your own)
>Are X white?
>Is X degeneracy?
>How come X girls love Y guys so much?
>If X is true, then how come Y? Checkmate Z.

The variety of threads allowed here are very flexible and we believe in freedom of speech, but we expect a high level of discourse befitting of the board. Attempts to disrupt the board will not be tolerated, nor will calls to disrupt other boards and sites.

Old as shit user.

yes

So someone actually made the monkeys try to type Shakespeare?

You know what would be cool? Give the algorithm as many texts that already exist. This books have their original weird code name. Find a pattern or formula that predicts the name of the books that you gave the algorithm and see if it comes with some new intelligible books.

On one hand it is impressive that he has managed to compress down 10^101 possible permutations into a compact form.

On the other hand it's like I said earlier. It's basically useless. And useless things tend to have less entropy than useful things.

it's like perpetualmotion fags who put a bicycle wheel with spoke beads on a bearing and then spin it. It will spin forever. Because it's not doing anything useful. There's very few avenues for entropy to take hold.

So to is this "library of babel". There's no real use for the algorithm. That's why it can compress such a huge amount of information into such a compact form. Because it's fucking useless that's why.

you know it is not real right

>If you arrange letters in every possible way the results will include the exact arrangement you have searched for

uhm ok?

Basicaly this.

Try sharing a link to a page with your information text. It is same length as your information text.

And 99.99999% of it will be fucking gibberish, what's your point?

God's work, user, god's work

>australia

Nonono yall are missing the point

The point of this project is that information and its relations exist independantly of whether or not we hold relation to it.

I.e. the nature of subjectivity and determinism. As in the future exists without us being related to it, and reality exists without us being related to it.

Wouldn't you have to believe in a multiverse for that to make sense?

No, the point is that OP is a faggot and anybody who buys his hype is too.
First off
>muh 10^5000 pages
I don't know where the fuck he gets that from. There's 3.9x10^101 possible permutations of both the result and the input required to achieve the desired result.

So it's literally fucking nothing. The number of volumes required to store those permutations would increase and so to would the complexity of the algorithm as you desired to gain more information from the volumes.

It's literally just dehydrated water.

But when I go to read the book the page just contains what I typed and no further information. Imagine my disappointment. I wish there was a next page function so I could keep reading and see what the number were. Anyway this author is probably no better than a room full of monkeys sitting at a typewriter so I wouldn't expect a thrilling ending.

IMAGUN MY SHOK

If you think the text one is nuts, go look at the picture one. Fucking scary man.

confusing the real with the actual.

>libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?,enqnmgbz209:1
>ctrf f "donald"

>donald j trump will be elected president of the united sta
tes on november eighth two thousand sixteen bixnood nigger four chan pepe kek

lol wtf

haha wat

No

Sp inform me as to how what I said isn't relevant.

Would you look at that

you are a massive fucking retard and I can prove it. No algorithm can explore the depest recesses of my mind. It is an enigma. The origins of my genius are in a vault no machine has access to- no algorithm can reason!

double nigger shit

>reality exists without us being related to it
Not really. With no observer paeticles do bot have to choose a state.

Schrodiengers cat also says no

Why does Schrodinger's cat always find itself in this shit.

Fucker can't get a rest. I hope that cat is ok/not ok.

that reddit shit is the linchpin of the deception on physics.

only the big bang can rival it in pointless bullshit fed to arrogant nigger atheists.

>fireballs nasalizing whillyhawks
PROPHETIC!

For real though, don't you think someone could make an algorithm that goes through the image version and picks out all the "real" pictures? Google and Facebook already have those crazy image recognition algorithms