As a Pennsylvania Dutch speaker should I give a shit about the "Palatinate"?

As a Pennsylvania Dutch speaker should I give a shit about the "Palatinate"?

youtube.com/watch?v=iJE9eVecJEY

Other urls found in this thread:

hiwwewiedriwwe.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's probably where your ancestors came from but it's up to you whether that's something worth caring about. Why are you asking Sup Forums?

What. A. Shitty. Language.

Even worse than fucking Afrikaans (actually this sounds like a forced rip-off of that).

Also

>Dutch
>High German words

Kys.

no
You have founded your own culture seperate from the american mainstream and the germanic roots you came from.

1. Are you amish? I thought no one else used the language?

The use of Dutch was just a mistranslation of Deutsch iirc. They have nothing to do with the Dutch.

Dutch is an older term for continental West Germanic speakers, it's a "High" German (actually considered Middle German). If you think languages can "rip-off" of each other than there's not really a point in insulting you back

I mean more about most of the stuff about Pennsylvania Dutch is from Germans from this region and I don't understand their angle. Are they separatists or are they trying to make money off Americans somehow?

My families mixed Mennonite and Reformed, I'm Reformed though. Amish seem horrendous Dutch, they mix it with English really badly

"Dutch" means German.
It's from before Germany was a country and referred to all Germanic languages.

The "Pennsylvania Dutch" were originally from Switzerland.

You should acknowledge that you are a negro and live with it

Dutch comes from Diets which are the orginal germanic speakers. Low francon germanic languages became Dutch and the middle German became High german.

Also languages can rip each other off, Hoch Deutch is literally a bastard version of Middel Diets only popularised by the plebiscite and Luther with his shitty bible translation.

sounds like schwäbisch from Baden-Würtenberg.

>Dutch comes from Diets which are the orginal germanic speakers.

I don't know what you're trying to say, are you postulating that Dutch is the most archaic variant of the Germanic languages? Because that's obviously not true

No. Simply that Dutch doesnt refer to Deutsch.
The same way Prussia and Russia aren't particularly related.

"Diets" is just how swamp Germans like our ancestors pronounced "Deutsch"

There is no "original Germanic".
Every village used to speak their own dialect.

>Swamp germans
>Our ancestors
Hey Mohammed, what are you doing up still so late?

do you intermingle with the wider society?

>Diets and Deutsch aren't cognates

ok

He's trying to retrospectively separate the Dutch from the (other) Germans.

It's revisionist bullshit but quite common.

In our national anthem these is a line mentioning our "founding father" being from "Dietsen" blood.
This means German blood, since HE WAS FROM GERMANY, but this fact is so triggering to some that they invented their own version of history.

They are, but they're very different from eachother.
Diets is old Dutch for Dutch whereas Deutch is German for German, you're comparing two different languages here

The words 'Dutch' ('Diets' in Dutch) and 'Deutsch' refer to 'the people'. Therefore it literally means 'language of the people.

Therefore, 'diet' in English is also a synonym for assembly.

We call our language "Nederlands" (Netherlandish) though, whereas the Germans use "Deutsch"

>Orginal verse
>Revisionism

Wew lad

>Nassau
>Being German before the 19th century

>Accusing others of revisionism

Tijd voor een lekker glas bleekmiddel, vieze mof

Yes, I work at a Fortune 500 Company and live in an urban area

Do you know how stupid what you're writing looks? It's like you're telling to ignore that Slovenian is called "slovenski jezik" and Slovak is called "slovenský jazyk" as they are "two different languages" and very different from eachother

>It's like you're telling to ignore that Slovenian is called "slovenski jezik" and Slovak is called "slovenský jazyk" as they are "two different languages" and very different from eachother

False equivalence

>Nassau was in the Netherlands

Keep telling yourself that, one day it will feel real.

No it isn't and you haven't even clarified what the hell you're even on about. Are you still trying to argue about the usage of Pennsylvania "Dutch" or is this something else? Why are you even in this thread?

>>Nassau was in the Netherlands
>Literally making things up that were never stated by me

Ik zeg toch mof, vergas jezelf.

oh shit my mom is Pennsylvania ducth

I grew up Plain Mennonite and can speak a little Pennsylvania Dutch. I understand it but it's been so many years since I spoke it I have troube remembering the words. It's a dying language.

>Yes, I work at a Fortune 500 Company and live in an urban area
i mean intermarry?

also
Have you your own churches or schools?

you need elementary schools and high schools speaking the language!

It's a neat language, I'm happy to speak it and I wish there were more serious efforts to preserve it over here. Part of what I meant in the OP is why most of the language preservation stuff comes from Germany, whereas most people here even a handful of linguists involved in it don't really care about preserving it in a spoken way or teaching it to children.

I'm a bit watered down to be honest, my mother is from a Norwegian-American family. My father sort of regrets marrying out, but that has more to do with their relationship.

Yes, a major issue was a push in the schooling system at the turn of the century that did away with German-language education. I mean, economically speaking anything but English was pointless and that had been apparent by the 1830's. So it's been a relatively slow decline. There was a resurgence in written PA. Dutch shortly before and during WWI, but I think it was killed off by anti-German sentiment. Still was an interesting period with a lot of really good dialect writing that is almost completely forgotten nowadays

Kanker-burger-mof

>During the Middle Ages the use of "Dutch" in English referred to West Germanic speakers of continental Europe in general. From c. 1600 onward it was mainly restricted to the inhabitants of the Low Countries.

>Many Pennsylvania Dutch were descendants of refugees who had left religious persecution in the Palatinate of the German Rhine.[18] For example, some Amish and Mennonites came to the Palatinate and surrounding areas from the German-speaking part of Switzerland, where, as Anabaptists, they were persecuted, and so their stay in the Palatinate was of limited duration

>peaking anything but English was pointless
Having your own language will give you a sense of belonging and a distance from the broader society allowing you to mold to culture with more impact.

also create newspapers and translate and write books in PA dutch

hiwwewiedriwwe.wordpress.com/

There is a few people doing this, but most of the drive is coming from Germany, not here. Very few people seem to care that much, even speakers. I plan on raising my children to speak it. If there were more of an interest I'd get more heavily involved, but it's mostly just this sort of thing, no offense intended to the poster
The average joe doesn't seem to care about the language.

your flag has autism

just got home from working at Al-bert Hajin, wbu

I should say, that Pennsylvania Dutch could be preserved if a serious effort was made to establish it within a certain small area, with schooling, churches, and all done purely in the language. With a complete k-12 education possible in the dialect. All of that is still possible if we people from all over the US and Canada that spoke it or are ethnically PA Dutch got involved, it is still possible at this point. But there just doesn't seem to be enough interest, for whatever reason, to pass it on by the current generation. Maybe they're just discouraged, I do know plenty of younger people that have expressed interest in learning it but haven't really had an ability to do so