I just found out about this 5th-6th century Anglo Saxon pot in the British Museum with a swastika on it and it and my...

I just found out about this 5th-6th century Anglo Saxon pot in the British Museum with a swastika on it and it and my mind is blown.

I specifically remember my history teacher telling us that the Nazis stole the swastika from Asia and it had no origin in europe.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29644591
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I believe the oldest swastika ever found was in Ukraine, will see if I can find a source.

Swastikas on a mosaic in a Roman villa in Britain

yea i heard it was bulgaria or something

Swastikas were used all over the world. Even in cultures that had no contact with Eurasia.
>Pre-Colombian North American Indians.

bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29644591

The Greek god Hermes had a swastika on his throne.

Fylfot

It's a symbol of the sun so yeah pretty basic.

Anglo Saxon brooch

Vinca Culture of Old Europe also had it

5th century Anglo Saxon funerary urn

It's a symbol of motion, of will.

The anglo-saxon means many foot.

Neolithic farmers in the Balkans used it and they didn't even speak Indo-European.

It's a very simple shape. I'm sure every culture has drawn it. Your post is almost as absurd as saying "I thought Pythagoras invented the Triangle but here I see it in Native American art too!!"

So , aliens then

It is a pretty aesthetic symbol. There is something subconscious about them. Sit down and doodle. Most people would draw some kind of spiral/swastika or concentric circles.

Is there a specific meaning it has or was it used purely for decorative purposes?

Was told the same thing at school, but when looking into European civilisation you quickly find there's more too it. All symbols of the 3rd Reich have European origin. If you travel to Hitler's home town of Braunau and visit the cathedral you can see swastikas, hundreds of years old cut into the stone ceiling.

>expecting your History teacher to tell the truth.
C'mon, user. I mean c'mon!

This.

Holy shit why are people so stupid, it's just a cross with hooks.

these things are so hard to draw