Should only qualified people be allowed to vote?

In Book VI(The Republic), Socrates points out the “flaws of democracy by comparing a society to a ship
If you were going on a sea voyage, “who would you ideally want deciding who was in charge of the vessel, just anyone, or people educated in the rules and demands of seafaring?”

What's Sup Forums take on this?

then it's not democracy.
Just admit it faggots, democracy has failed.
Fascism is the only solution for degeneracy in the world.

Only taxpayers should get to vote

I think a requirement to vote should be some vested interest in the future, both near and far. Business owners, people with children and grandchildren etc. What we have is 20 somethings voting for things that affect future generations without having children (and never planning on having children) that want to live off welfare/their blogging for the rest of their lives. If that happened you would see a sharp turn towards conservative ideals across the board. Parents and people that actually have a legacy of any sort care about the future further than "My feelings are hurt".

Or we could just go full Hamilton and be a true republic

and who decides who is qualified?

Only property owners should be allowed to vote

No, a republic is. A true republic, not a shame democracy where the people think their vote counts, and the people put in positions of power would be there based off of merit and virtue, not off of the emotional will of the masses.

Ideally yes, but we could not apply this idea today. You leave out in talking about The Republic than in Socrates' perfect city, there is a class system. He goes on to say in summary:

Wealth and poverty cause a lust for luxury and un-devoted work. This is prevented by a system of three societal classes. Each class does what they do well and is happy in their occupation. The city will not be too big to be governed and will have the ability to fight a wealthier city keeping outside influence put as a result of the utilization of warriors.

This does not represent our thought of freedom but puts people in these three classes based on who they are and what they are good at. So a worker is places into a trade he is good at and given the luxuries to keep him happy. While warriors do not receive the same luxuries nor do the Guardians who steer the city from corruption. This concept in its self seems to work but as I stated could not be applied in todays society for obvious reasons.

So only everybody above 40? Millennials aren't going to get property anytime soon

While I agree that you should be an educated person to be a voter I disagree with the idea that being a business owner automatically makes one suitable. I have dealt with many small business owners that are greedy and uneducated. They are skilled at their craft and can manage a small business but know nothing of politics and care of nothing but lower taxes.

The problem comes in who makes the decision on what is a suitable education and who has it.

the founding fathers knew exactly what they were doing and we fucked it up

property ownership as a prerequisite for voting was a great idea

also only having males vote, but that's a whole other story

>“who would you ideally want deciding who was in charge of the vessel, just anyone, or people educated in the rules and demands of seafaring?”

But if a navigator is the one skilled and knowledgeable in the act of navigation; who is the equivalent for the state? Remember, the dialogues are dialogues, not guides and this question is never concretely answered.

This idea would be unworkable today. In the minds of those who control the education system, educated = leftist.

No, lets let every fucking retard who hasn't done shit to prove his worth as a human being either to himself or to his nation have the same say in the affairs of the nation as someone who has proven them-self worthy of that responsibility.

Surely this will make a healthy and stable nation last

the president would be responsible for defining the criteria used to determine who is qualified

I agree with the statement, but the captain needs to have the support of his crew in order for the ship to sail properly; i guess that means I'm a right wing populist

does this include people who haven't yet paid off their mortgages?

>The Republic
>talking about voting
is there a single society any where in the world that is a direct democracy? this is a meme thread right?

digits of truth

Good point

DELETE THIS

the republic is a meme
euthyphro and the apology are better by far

The votes of those who have more property worth would have a higher value than someone who rents a flat?
What if I rent 1 square feet of land for each nigger for letting them vote?

just give people a vote proportional to their net worth
we're pretty close to that already, and it seems to be working fine

That would just make every corporation cartel officialy dominate the country. It already works like this, but in the shadows.

USA is not a direct democracy though, its a democratic republic. So, in the analogy, the "everyday people" on the ship don't have to be good at seafaring stuff, they have to be good at picking out people who are good at seafaring stuff.

>be a multi millionaire
>let people bid on my vote
>make even more money
>let people on my even more influential vote
>repeat

Monarchy is the ultimate redpill. The Jews were behind the French Revolution. Just think about that for a second.

Yes, only qualified people should be allowed to vote.

are you qualified?
why or why not?

Are you fucking retarded. The French are absolute savages who can't stop themselves from mass rioting every few decades. The French revolution is a joke. Look to the English and American revolutions instead.

Yes
>service equals citizenship

I wish I could just give my husband my vote. Unfortunately I don't see the vote being restricted any time soon.

you can certainly ask him who/what to vote for and then go back to the kitchen

That's what we already do. :)

only white male land owners should get to vote