Okay Faggots I'm Done

Lately I noticed a lot confusion on this board and elsewhere when regards to free will. If most of you don't believe in free will then whats the point of doing anything at all? Why do you still strive for a better society? Still believe in Ethics? Truth? Humanity? If everything is determined in your view then why are you so persistent on trying to change peoples minds to synch with your world view? I find it all ridiculous

because you cant choose not too faggot

Thats a contradiction on so many levels.

Niggers are dumb.

Shadilay.

because you will only have a role as a cuck if you don't try.

what the fuck?

The ego of the basement trolls must not be underestimated

There is no 'try' in a deterministic universe, neither any preferences. You have zero free will to choose, therefore no higher cause to strive towards.

dude, I'm saying it does not matter since you can't tell the difference. You will never be able to convince yourself that the absence of free will is a good enough reason to give up and die of NEET lifestyle.

I'm asking a legitimate question and you claim its bait. Oh Sup Forums never will you surprise me with your stupidity

>Lately I noticed a lot confusion on this board and elsewhere when regards to free will.

I never noticed this. When has Sup Forums ever discussed free will with any regularity?

trips...spooky

Just "go with the flow", that is the meaning of life if there is no free will.

Nothing wrong with it, but it does put into question giving too much of a shit about anything.

>>I'm asking a legitimate question and you claim its bait. Oh Sup Forums never will you surprise me with your stupidity
how often do u even come to Sup Forums?

Well if you do away with free will you actually gain a lot in compassion. It promotes restorative rather than punitive justice. if people on both sides of the isle realised that our political alignments are more due to circumstance and environment than actual reasoning, they'd be far more open to discussion. its something desperately needed on the left, but also to some extent on the right.

THIS

chemical determinism, nigs

>If everything is determined in your view then why are you so persistent on trying to change peoples minds to synch with your world view?
arguing is still influencing another persons chemical neurotransmitters that has an impact on their thinking from that point on

all your eyes and ears do is convert visual and audio information into neurotransmitters. with enough processing power every neurochemical interaction can be modeled and predicted given a set of initial conditions

Do you Sam Harris?

that's just your immature understanding of the world.

it's a pyramid. there's people who win whether you accept it or not. there's an objective standard called beauty. and that's the game eeeeeeeeeeeverybody is playing.

Determinism is a cop out ideology that liberals use to eschew personal responsibility.

But why try to change them? If you, and them are supposed to be exactly where they are. Compassion...Who's feeling the empathy? A chemically determined robot that is running automatically? If there is no free will, there is no 'you', there is no soul. So why even try? You are nothing more than a meaningless unfoldment, a rock rolling down a hill.

Free will means you are capabable on acting on your emotions with no internal barriers. It's non arguable.

You are arguing that we are all controlled by our emotional state? sure buddy lets ignore reason and logic

I'm glad u explained that. I read that leaf post 10 times. I got dumber each time.

I've never seen anyone on here talk about free will. This is some bullshit philosophy stuff to slide.

/thread

Reason and logic had to be invented, and it has to be beaten into people so they can learn it. It's certainly not our natural state.

Not at all.
Key word is "capable"

If you wanna kill you can kill. There is no barrier other than you that's stopping you.

Which is yourself...that is able to decide, predict, and change....and create abstract ideas based on understanding of the world. A numerous other evidence that say we have free will...awareness itself included. Okay faggot believe what you want

What?

Your argument is because we learn how to do things in youth somehow means we have no free will? what

Where did I say that?

>Reason and logic had to be invented, and it has to be beaten into people so they can learn it

I was paraphrasing what you typed

So, constructing a strawman rather than addressing anything I actually said? Where's that innate logic and reason of yours now?

>If most of you don't believe in free will then whats the point of doing anything at all?

We shape our lives by the choices we freely make and everything plays out exactly how it is supposed to. There is nothing you can do to change that.

Why?
Or
Why not
Don't let the delusional ideals of men distort reality,for men know nothing

fpbp

What's the point? There never was a point. Life is ridiculous.

Your body is compose of innumerable automated subroutines which were necessary for life to persist. Because they succeeded in persisting life, later generations inherited them. This is why we have drives to eat and reproduce.

But then we became aware of things. Awareness is what causes change, not Will; you will always will the same general things as other humans, barring what small genetic deviations you possess, and what you are aware of. You cannot will yourself to do something you are unaware exists. You can't will yourself to believe something you know (or think you know) is wrong. The Will is bound by what the body permits.

Awareness grants new possibilities that didn't exist previously. You don't have to want to know more things, although typically it seems consistent with self-preservation to provide oneself with more options. The capacity to make logical connections like these are likely to be an advantage from an evolutionary perspective. Even complete lummoxes agree knowing things is usually good, even if they're bad at it.

Just as it's consistent with self-preservation to have good neighbors, which are helped made by laws and ethics. And, it's consistent to have a desire to persuade people who disagree with you, because getting others on your side is potentially an asset. If there are indeed genetic factors that play into these behaviors, you'll just want to do them because your brain is organized to want to them, because that organization of the brain is what allowed your ancestors to thrive instead of die out.

Not everything is determined (unless I guess you zoom back far enough in scope, maybe?), but there are normal human responses to certain stimuli under certain conditions. You get different people by changing the conditions, including those inherent in the individual.

I forgot what my ultimate point was, but I guess stay in school, kids. Knowledge is power.