You have 5 seconds to explain why patents should be legal

Patents are just a simple way for people who can't compete to get the government to monopolize them through law.

Explain why this should be allowed in this day and age.
>you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e4wbFdePb-k
businessinsider.com/elon-musk-patents-2012-11
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, I agree.

Copyright law is the same.

Go to China. Every idea they have is copied from America or the rest of the world. Absolutely nothing original comes out of China, because there's no protection of ideas, so there's no incentive to develop anything new.

US patent system might be shit, but that doesn't make the fundamental idea of protecting creativity a bad one.

to stimulate inventors

not really

Sure, but maybe that copying is actually a good thing! Letting people innovate off of each others' ideas freely allows for tons of innovation.

Look into Shenzhen, China. It's one of those cities in an economic zone with no IP laws, and they are miles aheas of the world in tech because of it. I'll even link you a video, just to make it easy on you.

youtube.com/watch?v=e4wbFdePb-k

If Disney and (((the rest of them))) didn't modify IP law it wouldn't be so bad. Exclusivity can pretty much be pushed forward forever. I think 5 years or something would be fair

if there's no copyright then you'll be unable to get money for your inventions. Therefore no one is gonna invent anything.

Because there's no incentive for me to spend 10m $ on reaearch and development if some chineese company is just going to reverse engineer my product at a thousandth the cost.

I forgot to add and undercut me with slave labor.

Patent law enables Chinese technology theft.

>allows for tons of innovation.

That is exactly the opposite of his argument and it is, well, not an argument and unproven.

Also, to say letting people copy shit without trying creates innovation is just blatantly false where having restrictions on what you can create, like somebody else's patented idea, creates innovation.
>See: Everything ever.
>I want to do the same thing that guy's thing does but I can't so I'll do it differently and better.
>Innovation.

One one hand If you have a patent and monopoly on something, it encourages you not to research further. On the other you have what people said about the chinks, I get it. Reduce
it to five years and let's have a middle ground.

Just because you state something doesn't make it true.

Also it doesn't have to be chineese.

If I spend the money to research I'm in the hole that much money. If people can freely copy what I invent I'll never make that money back. So effectively it becomes optimal to never try to invent anything if the cost is substantial which for most modern technologies it is.

Considering literally everyone could make money this way no one would try to invent anything except people who didn't care about profit which isn't sustainable.

to protect hard working individual vidual inventor from having their ideas mass-produced by financially secure individuals or companies who have greater innate access to the reources to do so.

businessinsider.com/elon-musk-patents-2012-11

No, having a patent/monopoly on something encourages other people to research so they stop paying the monopoly price.

The only real problem is when monopolies use their extra profits to lobby congress to make their substitutes illegal or harder to research. This is a governmental overreach problem not a patent problem.

the inventor should be compensated. when you say cant compete obviously your not talking about intelligence because at this point in time theres to much shit that has been made for a person with a newly acquired patent to not be clever at the very least

so why should dumb people with a pile of cash be allowed to mooch of the smart people

Yes and coke has never patented coke either. The problem is that doesn't work with everything. Only things that are insanely hard to reverse engineer like literal rocket science.

Patents and Copyrights should last no more than 7 years. The way the US does things, where they allow corporations to hold patents and copyrights on things almost a hundred years old is stupid.

I would also guarantee you they have you sign a waiver that says you get sued if you talk about what you are doing too specifically.

There's also things like chemical reactions where there is literally only one way to do some process and by creating a patent you're simply letting someone monopolize (through patent law) that process to the detriment of everyone that needs it.

OP is a faggot but this user is on the right track. Corporations shouldn't be able to profit off the labors of some inventor 50 years after the inventor's death.

>spend 12 months perfecting new widget
>1 day of sales later
>no more sales
>go bankrupt
>kill self
>world loses another inventor

Patents are purely a way for (((lawyers))) to suck wealth from society

Is tech good? That's debatable. But what is not is that it is better if you are in competition to have the better technology.

So in a world with competition it is good to foster technology for yourself.

It's a tradeoff between incentivizing disruptive innovation, and allowing the new innovation to be taken advantage of swiftly.

The longer the term of the patent the more it tends to stifle progress. There is a sweet spot where we still encourage innovation but do not delay the full adoption of technology though excessively long monopolies.

The term of a patent is reasonable for most things outside of software. Copyright has been extended very far longer than the sweet spot for media that would encourage its creation yet not inordinately hinder it's dissemination and consumption.

More and more this is creating a black market for content.

You are correct open source ia thw only way humans ity qill moce foward o yea and unlock the over 5200 patents deemed national security risk because they pose a threat to ((their)) system.

>so there's no incentive to develop anything new.
truest of the redpills here.

>not an argument and unproven

But it is. It's proven time and time again. You don't need patents for people to innovate, just competition.

Watch the video. The proof is right there, in your face. Just watch it.