Akarta governor sentenced to 2 years prison for blasphemy

An Indonesian court on Tuesday sentenced the minority Christian governor of Jakarta to two years in prison for blaspheming the Quran, a shock decision that undermines the country’s reputation for practicing a moderate form of Islam.

The five-judge panel said Gov. Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama was “convincingly proven guilty of blasphemy” and ordered his arrest. However Ahok immediately announced he would appeal the guilty verdict and sentence.

The blasphemy accusation against Ahok was a decisive factor in his defeat to a Muslim candidate in last month’s election for Jakarta governor. It sparked massive anti-Ahok protests in the city, boosting hard-line Islamic groups that said it would be a sin for Muslims to vote for a non-Muslim.

The two-year prison sentence was a surprise outcome after prosecutors had recommended two years of probation.

The lead judge, Dwiarso Budi Santiarto, said Ahok’s comment during the election campaign that people were being deceived if they believed the Quran forbids Muslims from voting for non-Muslims had degraded and insulted Islam.

“As part of a religious society, the defendant should be careful to not use words with negative connotations regarding the symbols of religions including the religion of the defendant himself,” he said.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/samanthahawley/status/861793058089607169
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can America please kindly nuke us?

this just another proof that islam is cancer and any religion shouldnt infiltrate law

praise kek i hate islam so much pls bring buddha militias to cleanse this shithole pedophile praiser cult

Jakarta is a shithole anyway.. how did you get Sup Forums on your browser indo bro.. i live in bali. But work in aus... love bali cant get indo flag but

>Jakarta is a shithole anyway
Some people who want Ahok thrown into the jail come from outside of Jakarta.

If you're using telkom speedy you can just use dnscrypt, idk about other provider maybe some of then need vpn.

This is where I say to liberals.. yeah.. I think we SHOULD kill all 1.3 billion muslims on earth.

... and on most issues I AM liberal.

to me, it makes no sense to be liberal, support individual liberties... and somehow support Islam, which is not only a religion but a system of government that rules societies and makes them intolerant to individualism

Islam's very existence, is a threat to the enlightenment ideals that liberalism is founded on.

Ploppers gonna plop

People in here hate him actually because he was Chinks..

like he's the collective embodiment of all chinks?

FUCKING TOWELHEAD JUNGLENIGGERS REEEEEEEEEE

Resa Aslan: "Welcome to Indonesia. Here we have moderate Islam. Christians and Muslims living in peace."

I have a friend from Indonesia. She's pretty cool

See 1998 Anti-Chinese riots

He better get his ass out of there before they Haram his ass.

You know if he goes to jail he will be murdered in there.

Ahok will come back from this, just like Mandela and Aung San Suu Kyi

He will be President of Indonesia one day

Video of Muslims celebrating

twitter.com/samanthahawley/status/861793058089607169

>moderate form of Islam.

I wonder which will die first, this meme or western civilization

>As part of a religious society, the defendant should be careful to not use words with negative connotations regarding the symbols of religions

So no concept of freedom of speech whatsoever, then?

And lose all that New Guinean gold? Hell no.

Depend, if it's talking shit about any religion other than islam, big chance you can just get away with it. Minority always have to tolerate and never retaliate in any way, this include very light and non-hostile bantz.

How dare you say such a bigoted thing? You're even worse than Ahok now.

How western are we talking about anyway?

These dumb poorfag islamic cunts wanted the corruption in our system to end yet they put the man who could've done that in prison because of their own fucking religion

these dumbfuck subhuman mudslimes in Indonesia needs to be slaughtered for their shit religion and their stupidity

Indonesia increasingly becoming islamizied. Better not bring that shit here in Malaysia! We are a diverse country.

A muslim literally did an isis salute in the background of tonights abc report. Right at the end.

They made their bed, they will soon have to lie in it, no straight politicians are going to bother anymore.

abdool bumiputras would happily kill all chinks and indians. muh diversity