Is there any reason to own a home?

What advantage does it offer over renting at this point? It's just romanticized.

Enjoy freezing to death on the streets you fucking moron

Well, when you are old and retired, you will have a place to stay rent free and you will just have to pay rates and taxes. Which will be way cheaper than your average rent.

Yes goyim you don't need to own a home. Just give us a few shekels every now and again and we'll take care of the rest.

>over renting at this point?
you're not burning your money and you won't be kicked out

I recommend what I did:

Inherit $850k and buy an apartment building and use the tenants' rent money to finance your own home.

Smart people rent. No maintenance, no mortgage, no depreciation, no long term commitments.

My grandfather had a lot of land. My father inherited all and built 4 houses.

I'm the only male child I'm already a crorepati(millionaire) so fuck you OP.

Paying 800 for rent for ten years comes out to be 96,000 and at the end you have zero to show for it.
Paying 800 for a mortgage for ten years you will have 20,000 minimum in equity.

Renting is for mobility, ownership is for stability.
Also, faggot landlord can't kick you out if you are the faggot landlord.

But what about when you're old and no longer earn any income

Good idea.
Please put me in your will and kill yourself.

>You pay for a house for around the same money it cost to rent one monthly
>Is paid around 20 year
>No more rent for the rest of your life for you or your future family/generations
>You OWN the house unlike rent that leave you cucked™ after you leave.
Good goy :^^)

Holy shit it worked

I own 3 homes 2 of which I rent my fellow white men.
It has its advantages.

I could literally sell any one if them and leave at any time.

What, you're not renting to an underprivileged individual of color?
racist

I think the point OP was trying to make is that these days you really don't own a home if you're paying the bank on the mortgage for the rest of your life.

Statistically proven to cause more damage and be less dependable when renting.

if you know how to play the market, its a good way to make big chunks of cash.

statistics are racist.
You should be accepting of your fellow man, regardless of the end-result it has on your investment and standard of living.

But op is wrong. Renting is for a select set of people.
College students
Single women
Poor people
People with shit credit
Old people

If you are older than 30 and not poor you should purchase a home. There is no good arguement on why not to.

Nobody except for astronomically rare cases makes massive amounts of money off of real estate unless they're already massive capital/land holders in it. It's a relatively safe and low-return but low-risk market and investment.

Use it solely for tax deductions. Other than having a backyard and a garage, that's the only advantage.

No fucking payoff. Renting is money paid out to the world. A mortgage is money paid into a lifelong asset. I don't even live in the house I'm paying the mortgage on, I rent it out and the rent I get pays my mortgage and goes some way towards paying the rent on my flat.

>House will be paid off in 5 years
>move out
>rent house
>buy new house in nice neighborhood
>use rent to pay mortgage on new upscale place
>live 20 more years
>now have two houses
>repeat

I am also looking to inherit 8 properties, but they all have a lien on them preventing sale, or if I do sell, I'll have to pay-out 80% into a trust or some bullshit. Retarded old people and their wills.

Good luck for even relatively wealthy people trying to buy a nice and livable spacious home in NYC, Melbourne, Sydney, or any major city. You'll be slaving away your whole life to pay off just that.

I am accepting of my fellow man. But when it comes to business decisions you have to make smart business decisions. A sports team wouldn't hire a bad athlete just because of skin color they take the best player they can. Business is business. Separate from social acceptance.

Dont live in shit cities like nyc then idiot.

You absolutely need a stable income for 20+ years, and then that income needs to be substantial enough to afford the rent, plus the taxes, maintenance, repair costs, etc.

Renting is much cheaper in the short term and easier to walk away from if you can no longer afford to live where you are. You can't easily walk away from a house purchase, and if you get fired and your income is gone, so is your home. It's not yours until it's paid off.

You move it from a liability to an asset. Real estate has been very good to me.

Now's a horrible time to buy though. The bubble will pop eventually.

Yeah because that totally makes sense then:
> Home ownership is great
> Fuck off owning homes for the majority of people in the country living in cities like this
You're essentially proving my point, it isn't advantageous for these people to own homes anyway.

If you actually live in nyc you dont care about money. It is illogical to actually live in the city. People are so stupid about cost of living. I assumed most on this board were smart enough not to live in major cities.

you could either throw money away each month on rent...or build equity thru appreciation.

I just sold my house after 2.5yrs for a 30% profit. Hard to find returns like that elsewhere.

ah, you can pay it off early. My house will be paid off in 2 years (I will still be in my 30s) barring any major financial situations. We built our house about 12 years ago, we could afford a nicer house now, but the one we live in is fine. In 2 years I will be completely debt free and my money can start working for me instead of the other way around.

t. ruralfag, built a 2000 s.f. house on 13 acres for under 200k.

Those properties are worth more as rentals than outright sales anyway. If you live in a busy city and could keep them filled up you can even make 4-10x as much turning them into weekly/daily rentals through AirBnB.

Hire a housekeeper and run them like hotels, more profit but more labor. Monthly rentals are lazy but less work for less profit.

Or it could be that you were born there and can't leave because of costs of moving, or you have a job there you can't really leave and find somewhere else.

Cost of moving? Haha you fuckin kidding me? That cost would be made up in two months.
No admit it you are poor.

You're welcome.

I have owned my current home for 1.5 years and value is up close to 20%
Cannot match the returns and if your handy and make renovations you can make a killing.

I don't live in a city like that but you're way oversimplifying this and completely ignoring externalities.
> Muh fuck poor people
You just sound like a fucking asshole.

You are lazy. All those excuses and you wont ever get out of the big city. It has you by the balls so bad you feel you cant leave. Newsflash fuck head. You could leave tomorrow.

Assholes are succesful cucks like you are not.

If I have a family I want a home, simple as that. But I would hardly look at it as an "asset", considering you don't fully own it till you're about 60.

>a small loan of 850,000 dollars

All section 8, in poor towns, in bad part of the poor towns. Basically anything that came up for auction that could be purchased for under $50k cash.

Now imagine what type of shitty places you can buy with $50k...

Because renting in Nova Scotia is pretty much like paying mortgage, electricity, and phone, all at once. This is why I bought a house. Why rent when I can eventually own the house?

Owning a home has way more advantages.
>You look like a reliable man to your spouse and/or children
>You save hundreds of thousands of dollars not renting
>You own the property so if you decide to sell it you make money
>It's your land and you can do whatever you want

Renting is the ultimate sign of being a beta loser.
Even the poorest homeowner beats the richest renter.

>can't leave because of costs of moving
Really? I'm co-owner of a recruiting firm. Virtually every client we have pays moving expenses for those we place.

If you buy a modest house in the right location it will be cheaper monthly than an apartment, and its an investment. The money you put into your house doesnt just disappear into somebldy elses pocket, you can sell a house and get your money back, but what happens when you pay a few tens of thousands on an apartment over the years then move? That money is just gone because you're afraid of a small commitment.

>>It's your land and you can do whatever you want

There's the biggie. I can have a bonfire any time I like. We literally sit on our back patio and target shoot. I can piss in my back yard if I like. Try that from an apartment.

Lel same smart people who don't have kids n vote democrat? :^)

>Renting
Schlomo likes your post and thanks you for paying rent to him

>Buying
I pay schlomo too but I'll be done within 15 years and own a property with a liveable house on it that i maintain and improve myself

Choose your favorite, live with your choice.

1. I have no one who can walk into my home.
2. I can do any drug or drink that I choose.
3. I can stay up as late or wake up as early as possible with no issue of disturbing neighbor.
4. I can play music as loud as I want as long as it can not be heard outside the boundaries of my yard.
5. Pets
6. Fence
7. Guns (big one, since you can't keep guns in most apartments).
I mean I could keep going on.

I have a greater since of community too, since I know I am here for a long time. I know all my neighbors and could call them if we needed help (or visa-versa). There is more security because my neighbors look out for us. I never did that when we were renting an apartment... it was just random people moving in and out.

I don't know, like, not being homeless?

Hey ruralfag, did you use local contractors?

Build from ground up? Any architects?

>Burgers fell for the (((rent))) meme

are inheritances not a thing in the USA or what?

we cleared the area around our house ourselves, hired a contractor to build the house. I designed the house myself (I use autocad everyday for my job), but we did have to get the roof plan (wind loads) done by an engineer. We did the fencing ourselves. We are off grid except for power - solar panels will be my next purchase after we pay off the house in 2 years.

Do the math.

If you're paying in rent more than you would pay in mortgage fees and interest then buy. If you believe there is no Bubble then subtract the house value increase as well.

End of thread.

I mow my neighbors lawn for 30 dollars a week.
I try to be friendly to all my neighbors.
She is an old lady who just sits out on her porch. She would call the police at a moments notice if someone broke in.

So I do get what you mean.

>rentfag here
Rent is dead money and landlords are stingy as fuck. The only benefit to renting is that you can up and fuck off when the work dries up. On that note, if you're renting and you're not looking for better work, you've fucked up. You need to look at doubling your paycheque every few years and save up for somewhere permanent.

>What advantage does it offer over renting at this point? It's just romanticized.

architect creating your own house occording to what you want it to look like.
not having to console your land owner if you want to make a change to the house.
its your land so you can make changes to it as you see fit while not having an asshole landowner bossing you around.
just 3 of the advantiges over renting op.

also
>once you finish paying for it, it will be yours. Renting means you'll be paying forever, and several times the price of a house.

At least here in Spain, where renting prices are sky high. It's cheaper to pay a mortgage, even knowing that you'll pay a house and a half in interests.

and you are basically "fixing" your payment for the next 20-30 years... when rent prices go up, the mortgage payment stays the same.

(our economy is relativly stable) so the rent isnt sky high.
not to mention you can have generations of your family live in one family house.
and your faggot landlord cant kick you out.

>Inherit $850k and buy an apartment building

is this possible in the US?

How many units in the building?

My house has went up more monthly in equity in the last two years than my monthly payments.

Im planning something like this.

Any tips or reading material?

I can recommend that, too. topkek

you dont have to pay rent.

I'm sure he means a house with rentable rooms.

I looked through a ton of house plan books & online plans and took the elements I liked from a bunch of plans and merged them into one. If you are good with a cad program, you can actually draw in the standard size furniture and make sure the rooms are the right size for your tastes.

If your lot is wooded, I would invest in a good chain saw. Shop around for a contractor, sometimes a smaller (less known) contractor will give you more one on one service than the bigger companies - and prices will vary greatly.

I guess the best advice is to just take your time and make sure you are getting exactly what you want. I have a lot of pride in my house & property because we did a lot on our own. Make friends with like minded people and they can teach you skills you couldn't get on your own.

My Dad passed unexpectedly recently (was my best friend and totally devastated me), and I was his sole heir. I got his house and used his life insurance to pay off the rest of the mortgage.

I've rented before, but home ownership is a tradeoff because you take care of your own lawn / things that break (fine by me, I like being handy). You also get huge tax breaks and no matter what, you're putting money into your own equity instead of a landlord's pocket.

Plus, you can rent it out if you want.

Renting is for beta cuck fags.

better yet get an apartment approved for section 8 so you can make 200% market value

All that money won't make you white

You aren't breaking legal covenants by putting a picture up on the wall, for starters.

If you rent an home in a short amount of time, expecially if your career probably will take you somewhere is a smart choise, if you live for more than five years in the same place just buy an home at a low cost zone, of course nigger free, and live there, with some luck it's vaule could rise.

Just pay for a hotel room indefinitely. Hell of a lot cheaper, room service, free internet (usually), free cable, and free electricity.

Well, in Germany it's a big advantage to own your own home, because the janitors here are so autistic, that they search for example your paper trash for small plastic pieces and letters with your address to send you a written warning.

Some are autistic enough to search you organic trash for paper or plastic.

Buy a house and if you have to move rent it out. It pays for it self.

New homeowner here. Rent in my area is fucking absurd, my buddy is paying 1,400 burger bucks in rent alone for a fucking shoebox.

My mortgage payment, utility bills, car insurance, and internet bills are less then his rent by a few hundred.

Renting is for idiots, buy a damn house.