Corn is not profitable to grow

Corn is not profitable to grow.

Should subsidies for corn, ethanol, and the food industry in general not exist, I dare anyone to tell me Americans would still be fat and that the food industry would be an oligopolistic syndicate.

Other urls found in this thread:

authoritynutrition.com/20-foods-with-high-fructose-corn-syrup/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_failure
farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2017/02/the-profitability-of-ethanol-production-in-2016.html
biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2017/01/31/valeros-q4-results-saved-by-profits-from-ethanol-unit/
wsj.com/articles/big-oil-companies-reap-windfall-from-ethanol-rules-1477564201
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't get how its not profitable to grow. If it was just pure free market, there would surely be some rich people out there that love corn so much they would pay a lot for it, and therefore the price could be raised to match demand and therefore be profitable. Is government interference fucking things up again such that no one wins but them?

You used two three syllable words in a row that means I can safely write any garbage here and you'll respond.

>subsidies
why? if something is not viable then let it fail

That's what I'm saying. Corn is heavily subsidized in the US, such that the vast majority of our farm production is corn, on the backs of taxpayers.

Corn is a high yield crop

>lel just let cornerstones of US agriculture collapse
>lel everyone should only grow cash crops
>lel just depend on food imports from asia and africa

High fructose corn syrup is in everything, yet it's not profitable.
>OP is a faggot who has no proof
>garbage slide thread that should be deleted

> Corn is not profitable to grow.
You're retarded.
t. Nebraskan
> Somebody doesn't understand why agricultural subsidies are a thing
When all of the farmers in your country grow nothing but cash crops, deplete your soil, and ruin your country's agricultural economy you'll understand why.

>lel I'm a retard who doesn't know what a subsidy is

>lel it's impossible to grow better crops more efficiently or effectively unless government steals everyone's money for us

>lel let's just sink money into something that makes us fatter and stupider but doesn't pay back

>lel markets never learn to sustain themselves without stealing everyone's money for corporate welfare

> Market failure isn't a thing and government oversight or regulation can't help markets run better or more effectively or help people out
God I hate Free Market Fundamentalists

They literally can't though.

If they stopped the subsidies they would increase the price over time since farmes would stop harvesting it.

Yes they can, look up information asymmetry and market failure.

>I'm a faggot that sucks on Jew cocks: The Musical

Market's don't fail; individuals and companies fail, go bankrupt, sell their assets, and new owners learn from the mistakes and figure out how to do things better.

Corn is profitable what are you talking about
It's subsidized because you have special interests in Washington keeping the subsidies, anyways thanks for the cheap corn at your expense

You still offer zero proof, Ann's that's not an argument. California is the most heavily subsidized state, and they don't grow corn, you idiot.
When I was stationed in HI, they grew sugar cane. Now because corn syrup is used in everything Hawaii grows corn. It's profitable, you're just a fucking idiot.
authoritynutrition.com/20-foods-with-high-fructose-corn-syrup/
Using your logic, because gasoline is heavily government subsidised, it's not profitable. That's how stupid you are.

Fucking obviously, markets don't actually exist, they're an abstraction made up of people and the things they do, but those things in aggregate can fail at doing what a market is generally supposed to, i.e. efficiently allocating goods and services, and that's what's deemed a market failure, and government action can help to alleviate it. Just spend 5 seconds googling market failure before thinking you know everything because you read some bullshit about Austrian economics.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_failure

I love corn though

why are americans this dumb

You dense fucking moron, bankruptcies due to unprofitability and resource misallocation are not the market failing, it's the market WORKING. If corn is not profitable, those farmers should go bankrupt and sell their land to someone who will find something more economical to grow on it. If land is depleted, the farmers and companies who depleted the land should lose everything because they horribly misallocated resources towards inefficient growth. Resulting depressions help sell those assets off for cheap so resources can be put in things that make a profit and don't deplete the fucking land. Maybe a land replenishment industry could pop up as well.

Why is the government taking people's money and giving it to Monsanto and their slave farmers if corn is profitable? To boot, if farmers in CA are not growing corn, it's either because other crops are more profitable, or the government is handing them more money to grow other things; typical California central planning.

>when no one is willing to buy your crops in the free market but the government thinks better than anyone else and send tax money to farmers

>government action can help alleviate it
What a perfect country America would be if that were true

US government has controlled food prices, won't let is rise with inflation.

You can get US gov money for turning you field into forrest. I don't know if this program is still active.

If ethenol ever takes off, corn prices would rise affecting beef, chicken,...

Also corn shows up in your poop.

>If ethenol ever takes off, corn prices would rise affecting beef, chicken,...

what is tesla.
what is cheap oil.

Ethanol was killed in its cradle.

Get rid of subsidies and the supply will decrease to an equilibrium where in that amount would be. Learn microeconomics fag

*Would be profitable

Thank christ for that. Until we can effectively break down cellulite biomass cheaply there will always be a net loss to ethanol production. Some of the solar roofing shingles (happy to see that patent finally developed) and home/commercial battery development are actually promising. Till then fracking it is

Um...if subsidies are eliminated, wouldn't supply and demand eventually determine a viable market price for corn? Then if that market price is below farming costs, either growers make farming corn more efficient, or they stop and grow something else.

> Then if that market price is below farming costs, either growers make farming corn more efficient, or they stop and grow something else.
Yes, and prices would go up. That would also force higher order goods prices to fall.

>When all of the farmers in your country grow nothing but cash crops
That's what farm subsidies are causing, you retard. Why do you think there's corn in everything?
>Now because corn syrup is used in everything
And why do you think that is? Farm subsidies are the cause of the problem. They need to be completely eliminated
>It's profitable
Because of being heavily subsidized.

>Stop reading actual articles about economics and books and start just googling stuff.

Nice advice there.

> Austrian economics
> Actual economics
kek
You do know that corn farmers don't grow corn all of the time, right? They grow it in rotation because they are subsidized to do so. They generally switch it out with soybeans or some other crop, oftentimes sorghum, at least here, in some temporal cycle.

Corn is profitable.
Ethanol runs motors now, and it's made from corn. Are you trying to say fuel isn't profitable?
farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2017/02/the-profitability-of-ethanol-production-in-2016.html
University of Illinois disagrees with you.
biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2017/01/31/valeros-q4-results-saved-by-profits-from-ethanol-unit/
Valero claims billions in profits that prove you wrong.
wsj.com/articles/big-oil-companies-reap-windfall-from-ethanol-rules-1477564201
Wall street says you're full of shit. So where are your sources?

California is a nanny state that couldn't survive without welfare and subsidies.

Corn absolutely is a cash crop. The majority of it goes to animal feed, sugar, and ethanol. Americans already eat too much sugar and meat, and ethanol production for fuel is basically a wasteful racket, so I do think corn subsidies should be cut or at the very least reduced.