Warming ocean tempurtures

Why can't we just convert sea water to freshwater then freeze it and drop it all over the oceans?

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalfisherman.com/northeast/maine-shrimp-program-showing-good-returns-far/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why can't we just freeze the water and carry blocks of ice back to the north and south poles?

Well we kinda need the water we have now plus by using ocean water you don't alter the amount of water in the ocean

Because the earth is flat you fucking kike

Because thermodynamics dumbass

Just do this

Educational gif for you guys

I'm fucking ded m8

You'd expend so much energy doing this you'd probably still cause harm, unless you made an entirely new hydroelectric facility (the easiest type of energy to get the kind of power you need, that isn't fossil fuels), but even then it would be for a temporary effect, and one that could cause a cold shock that devastates crop yields in areas that rely on regular ocean currents.

you're right but what else can be done to lower ocean temperatures safely

Cooling technology is generally about moving the heat someplace else rather than truly eliminating it and separating freshwater out of saltwater likewise takes energy and heat.

Funnily enough is slightly more realistic for these reasons although the specifics and scale along with eventual water increase would probably make it less viable. Maybe if you devised a cheap way to expel excess heated water into space or something like that.

Why would we have to put the water into space though? I think that would be a huge obstacle that could be avoided

Well if you believe that it's caused by climate change then there are some radical ideas to hypothetically make a change in a useful timeframe.
I forget the details but some guy got imprisoned for bioterrorism/pollution stuff for dumping large amounts of some compound in the ocean to try to balance stuff out. The counter arguments being that such measures might do more harm than they fix and idk how they interacted with ocean acidification which is a related and no less important issue.

Things might be fucked desu but you'll probably die before the worst of it if that's any selfish comfort.

I guess but I also live near a beach my great grand children will have a beach front house if we're supposed to believe their memes

Well if you just keep adding cold water from outside the system then water levels will eventually increase and I was suggesting you could kill two birds with one stone by putting heat waste into extra water and expelling it from the system.

It's not really a viable option desu I'm just talking about hypotheticals and how the heat/water systems work.

There are maps you can look at for a rough estimate of how water might spread inland with different increases.

President trump even applied for government grants for some of his business property in the uk to shore up the beach for erosion that's predicted from sea level rising.

Yeah I get it this isn't viable but the original idea was to use converted ocean water to not change the amount of water. Though it still probably would do more damage than good.

Yeah my whole futurama space ice example was about how you could hypothetically make something similar to what you suggested work.

As I explained cooling technology really just moves the heat elsewhere so your idea as presented in the op doesn't really cool anything down, just temporarily moves it around, and actually creates extra heat from the cost of moving all the heat around.

what if the heat moves into something that is not necessarily water or maybe can be removed

In the 70s they were dusting the arctic with coal and soot to induce melting due to global cooling

So yeah they dont know what the fuck theyre talking about.

The only way you can survive in life without being able to idemtify lies and deception is if you live in a government that steals from people who work and give it to people who cannot discern between truth and lies

That's why I suggested the futurama example.
It's a little silly and would require a cheap method of launching stuff into space and a more robust rocket program but any solution to the problem will be obscenely expensive and we could use the launch method for other stuff.

I mean it's basic grade-school water cycle stuff that even if you take warm water out of the ocean or put cold water in it'll eventually balance out and it'll cost energy and produce more heat every time you move heat from one place to another.

I am not presenting these as facts and I don't think anyone should get the idea that I am I understand that this isn't the cure I'm just having a discussion.

The problem I'm having with that is that there is no way for us to have a cheap way to launch stuff into space it's extremely expensive.

Well with current rocket systems it's too expensive, there are theoretical structures that could do it cheaply and they'll pretty much be necessary eventually. The "space elevator" is the most well-known but also least likely option because of the challenges.
Again, I'm not saying this is THE solution but any fix will be expensive and this would also be a huge space-economy advancement. I was also just playing around with how the original op idea could be changed to be more realistic.

>muh we're warming the oceans
the oceans are so ridiculously large that whatever caused the warming we witness now happened 300-400 years ago

...or it's a gradual ongoing effect.
It's also not like it's all warming evenly or at once.
A while ago I read about a discovery that the flow of currents and heat in the ocean has been pulling up very deep very cold water from around antartica that hasn't seen the surface in thousands of years and accounts for some of the apparent slowed heating in the area. Likewise, I live in maine and the waters off our shores are heating faster than waters elsewhere which has eliminated the local shrimp harvest for years and the lobsters aren't expected to be too far behind.

nationalfisherman.com/northeast/maine-shrimp-program-showing-good-returns-far/

user, lobsters and shrimp are older than man. If the ocean acidifies or warms by 3 degrees. They'll adapt.