Is quitting video games red pilled? I have everything from Xbox to Oculus...

Is quitting video games red pilled? I have everything from Xbox to Oculus, and I'm not even 24 hours into this and going insane. Attempting to quit for 3 months thinking it will help better myself

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=utddDvJ1Rvo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sell all of it, thank me later.

Story perhaps?

I'd keep some for social reasons but sell all the autist ones for sure. Depends on your friend group.

Just keep the social kind with party games and a few single player gams. dont play the autistic mmo shit etc. Vidya is a nice little hobby to kill an hour or too but this "videogames are a lifestyle" is a retarded hype.

Sure why not.

I used to be really into video games. Especially online games that you could play competitively. It was basically my entire life for a while. I would watch videos about games, learn strats, try to do competitions and stuff, and all my friends were gamers.

I don't remember the exact spark that got me to leave it behind but I know I had a nagging sense of 'is this it... is this my life?'

So I tried just cutting back for a while but over time I came to resent video games and I just said fuck it and sold everything. All the consoles, switch my computers to OSX and Linux and now I don't even think twice about it anymore.

Completely turned my life around with the extra time and energy - got fit, got a good diet, and most importantly I feel like I have freedom. It's hard to explain until you see the other side of it but video games become a prison, especially if you are fucking around with VR stuff like you are talking about. It warps your mind a bit.

Now when I go on twitch.tv and watch people play games I honestly feel bad for them. My mindset has done a 180. My favorite thing to do now when I want to play a video game (rarely) is to download an emulator and some roms and play oldschool games for a day or two and then move on.

Sum of the story is that video games are a waste of time and money. So is TV and movies too. All they do is blind you to reality.

so fucking sick of stupid stories like this
YOU WERE NEVER A GAMER TO BEGIN WITH

This is what denial looks like. Sad!

Depends what you're doing instead, video games is a waste of time if overdone.

I have been playing almost every day non stop since I was 12, 26 now. Most games are addicting to me but I play lots of games where you play with friends and that makes it harder to quit, it has become my social life. I've failed some classes because of it. I've had women throw themselves at me only to shrug them off because of how entrenched I was in them.

Well it sounds like you know what needs to be done, especially since you made this thread. I'll back you up and say your gut feeling is right, you need to leave it behind. You'll feel free I promise you, it's a great feeling.

>videogames, movies and tv is a waste of time
>posting on Sup Forums is not
I'll never understand this logic.

Lol, I would have said the same shit about 2 years ago. Pic related, one of my accounts.

I still play games but really only THPS and I fire up dota to play with friends every once in a while. I feel like I was in a time warp in the years 16-19 when all I did was play vidya

You obviously found things that you had comparable interest in. Whenever I try to put down the controller and pick up a book, I get bored.
It's hard to beat the instant entertainment gaming gives you. How did you fill the void?

just look for something else to do in life

Mate that's why I had to sell them and switch my OS. It's not until they are really gone from your life that you find new things to do.

Your brain will figure something out if you give it true freedom in which to operate.

If your games are always one power button away you won't bother to find something else.

We all want off Mr. Bones Wild Ride, but there is no end.

Keep all of it, thank me later. This stuff goes out of production eventually and everyone regrets selling video games. It's better to just keep them in a box.

This right here. This is one of the major things

I probably won't sell it. I put it all in a safe, probably will give my sister the key for a month

I'm disappointed in your lack of resolve but that's a decent start. I wish you luck though, for sure.

If you need someone to help you, you have bigger problems.

>3 years ago
>gaming has been my main """hobby""" for like 20 years
>I would literally give anything for another online game of socom 2, to feel the glory online days of Red Alert 2 on my first pc or to relive that first magical play of MGS1
>these are my dearest life memories
>realize my priorities are all fucking twisted
>Im a human being for gods sake, this cannot possibly be all there is to life
>realize I fell for the virtual Jew
>decide to sell ps4 and never look back
>get /fit/
>get handsome
>fuck hot girls
>pursue real life success
>acquire happiness

Breaking my gaming addiction has been the second best decision of my life

Glory awaits if you would focus on your actual real life the energy you spend on fucking video games

And this wouldn't help? What would be the bigger problem?

This, especially consoles are a virtual shekel grab

I drastically cut back my gaming because I realized it doesn't directly translate into any real world benefit. I still play games, but I play them in a foreign language that I am try to learn so it doubles as study time. I also still follow game news a bit because I am interested in the medium, but I have lost the feeling of needing to play every AAA title that comes out.

You should be able to just put it away and not touch it. If you don't think this is possible then your "addiction" is just going to turn into some other bad habit, or just return later.

I like the idea about the foreign language that's pretty smart

Honestly, videogames kinda saved my sanity.
How many of you have been bedridden for any significant amount of time? Even just a few months will start to really mess with you.

Valid point t. I wonder if I can turn it into a "good addiction". If there is such a thing

Seen that happen to a friend. VGs saved him too

>the feeling of needing to play every AAA title that comes out
Is this a real thing people have? Who can justify spending that much money? The fact that big-budget titles are so shit is just the icing on the cake.

>I wonder if I can turn it into a "good addiction"
If you don't think you can do it yourself without getting a third party involved to enforce rules, then no. It's not really an addiction anyway, just a habit. You just need to do something else with your time until you don't default to it in your free time. Chances are you're just bored and you allow it to take up your free time because you have nothing else to do. If you had anything else you would probably already be doing it and unless you can find something you really want to do instead you're just going to relapse.

how to turn into a good addiction? Make money from it.

Video games in and of themselves are fine. It's the addiction that'll destroy you.

There's nothing wrong with playing video games, or having preferences for one over another. The problem is they're meant for entertainment, and are very addictive. When you're addicted to something, you close off other parts of your life in order to pursue your addiction for the instant gratification it provides, however brief. THIS causes people to sink into the typical gamer hole - becoming fat, lazy, sedentary, only talk about the latest mod or perk, etc. THIS is the cause of it.

It's okay to be unproductive from time to time. Play a game for an hour. Watch an episode or two of a show on Netflix. But don't let it consume you and everything you do.

This. Moderation is the real red pill.

The fear of missing out is a very real thing.

I feel it's all I know sadly. I also feel it does get in the way of things I could be doing, it is so engrained I had to at least try a third party to help

No. Videogames are like any kind of enteraiment.
I play about 3 hours per week. Playing 6 hours daily is degenaration. But is same for watching tv or movies and drinking. Dont do it too much.

You could cut yourself from all kinds of pleasure if you want and call it redpill.

I play video games regularly and I would hardly call it a bad habit. For starters, I noticed most of you are talking about multiplayer/competitive games, whereas I play single player almost exclusively. I don't spend my entire paycheck on every AAA title, mainly because I have enough sense to wait for reviews to come out first, or sometimes I'm just not interested. Video games don't even take up a majority of my time, my average would be about 2 hours each day.

Must be a thing for console plebs. Everyone I know is hugely cynical about new releases (for everything, not just games) so we wait for reviews and particularly for prices to drop.

The few times I've really wanted to have a first-hand experience with a new release I just pirated it. I'm not going to pay $60 for a demo. Every single time it's been a massive waste of my time since new releases are extremely buggy and barely function until weeks or even months of patches, most AAA shit barely runs on top-of-the-line hardware, and there is usually half of the game missing to sell as DLC later.

Even indie games are horrible now since they're all early access garbage sold while still in development. Similar problem, there's no point in paying until it's complete and functional later. Buying new stuff just because it's new is a bad practice in general, but particularly in the past couple of years it's like you're not even supposed to play new games.

This too. The "early access" scam is the newest thing

I haven't played any video games in a week. Moderation doesn't work for me, I either play a lot or not at all. I would play LoL or Old School Runescape. If you dont have some kind of activity to replace games then you probably wont make it. I started trying to learn German again and have been watching youtube quite a bit. Good luck man, we are doing the right thing.

I literally have not slept tonight. It is now 430am and it's ridiculous that I crave something this bad. I hope so

>stop playing video games
>waste more time here instead

What interests you in the slightest? What skills do you have?

I work in a hospital and I'm very good at what I do there. But to further myself I need a better degree. I like learning but always hated school of any kind. I feel like I can blame VGs for almost all my bad grades. Would I just put school off even without VGs? I don't know

Do it. Really.

>24
>been playing video games since maybe 17 or 18 years
>nothing else to do
>on games 16 hours a day
>bored, play 30 minutes, bored, switch to Sup Forums
>rinse and repeat
>it's my life
>boring person

I have nothing else to do

youtube.com/watch?v=utddDvJ1Rvo

I used to have those sixteen hour days. Digits I go for three months. Three digits I sleep and sell everything in the morning

And absolutely nothing hahah ..oh man.

sweet digits and I stop everything, I promise

it is time then.

thank you Sup Forums

God bless you

Is that the way to phrase it? Let me try. Sweet digits and I'm out for three months

Super sweet digits and I'm out for three months, I promise

it's not redpilled so much as a voluntary decision you'll make because you'll stop having fun playing them

it comes along with getting a job and living a life, and realizing that vidya sucks time away from doing everything else better.

digits and i quit playing so much fucking fifa

one more roll