What was it like when you could smoke inside public places?

What was it like when you could smoke inside public places?

I was born in '92 and I remember going to buffets (or diners) with my grandparents and you'd still have to specify whether you wanted a "smoking or non-smoking" section until the early 2000's. At least, in Texas.

there used to be giant ashtrays about 2' in diameter filled with gravel next to the benches in the shopping malls

Terrible.
I don't know how it was ever allowed.

Pretty atmospheric.

Was awesome watching people with breathing problems wheezing.

>What was it like when you could smoke inside public places?
Smokey.

in most places it was cool. even then there were places that i wouldn't smoke, restaurants, offices, public buildings.

Just go to Japan and experience it yourself.

>giant ashtrays about 2' in diameter filled with gravel next to the benches in the shopping malls
Holy shit, that is fucked up. What the fuck is wrong with people that they'd let shit like that go on?
>in most places it was cool
Maybe for a filthy addict like you. Not for normal people.
You've obviously never been to Japan.

Terrible. All the furniture was rotten and had a layer of tar on it. Smoking-designated areas are stupid. Smoking on the plane was even worse, however I do feel maybe it should be up to the business whether or not they allow smoking on their premises instead of a "you have to be at least 3 metres away from the nearest entrance" type bullshit.

I think Amsterdam have a good model, though maybe a bit over the top. Some bars and cafe's will allow smoking of cigarettes inside and some don't. Seems to be a good system and I see no reason why it can't work elsewhere.

> Holy shit, that is fucked up. What the fuck is wrong with people that they'd let shit like that go on?

You have to understand that tobacco has long since been a sort of traditional and socially acceptable vice in the Americas and Canada also, even after it was proven to be stupidly dangerous. It's not until recently that they just outright banned it. I think it's better that way but people back then didn't really know any different. My mother and father remember that you could smoke on air planes- I find that a bit ridiculous.

I remember my mom smoking at the grocery store. There was an ashtray mounted on the rack halfway down every aisle. Some of the grocery carts had built-in ashtrays, if you can fucking believe that.

My older brother used to take me to a lot of movies. He would sit throughout the whole movie with an unlit cigarette in his hand. If the film broke (happened fairly often back then) he would immediately light up (along with every other adult in the theater) and smoke until the movie restarted.

I can still smoke in bars in Katy. Some airports used to have a smoking room which was cash. Maybe they still do. I vaguely remember those golden tin covered paper ash trays in mcdonalds or Burger King but I don't remember ever seeing any smoking in a restaurant.

I reckon it was gloriace.

smelly

Born in the eary 80's. Dutchfag.

People smoking everywhere. Ashtrays everywhere.
Cigarette vending machines outside on streetcorners.
I dont wish that time to come back. I dont smoke myself. But i really hate how they outcasted smokers nowadays.

>I can still smoke in bars in Katy.
TX?

I guess it was a county-by-county ordinance and not a statewide thing, but I remember somewhere around the early 2000's you just couldn't smoke indoors in "public spaces" anymore

Fkn great. Sat in the pub with a pint and a tab, comfy af

I thought there was a lot of smoking in Russia?

You can still smoke inside bars that allow it in Montgomery County, but not Harris. I think it was a county-by-county thing.

You were allowed to smoke inside hospitals in the 90s

Go to Vegas, you'll see. It's not initially all bad, but I blew my nose on the plane home and my boogers were black

>has long since been a sort of traditional and socially acceptable vice
False, it's only ever been a habit of the lowest scum.
>people back then didn't really know any different.
Bullshit. Even a retard knows breathing smoke is bad. Low-tier people are just stupid.
>I remember my mom smoking at the grocery store. There was an ashtray mounted on the rack halfway down every aisle
What the fuck?

con ta bai mi bruder?

stop picking your nose