Question to everyone on Sup Forums

Question to everyone on Sup Forums.

Why do we still refer to the language spoken in the US as "English?" The vast majority of people in this country have never been to and never will be to England, as it is of no more relevance or importance to us than Argentina or Turkey. Although the language we speak is similar to that spoken in England, we have changed the language and made it our own, eliminating pointless spelling errors which are maintained in England, rationalizing other spellings, and contributing far more culture and literature to the language than was ever contributed by the English themselves.

We speak a language that is entirely our own, and the rest of the world speaks it too. The rest of the world does not speak "English" because the English speak it. They speak it because we speak it - and for no other reason. American businesses and culture rule the world, dominating every other nation to the point that they are forced to adopt our language.

Why do we not recognize this? Why are we not proud enough to stand up and declare once and for all - "I don't speak English, I speak American?" Is this further evidence of national decline and a loss of our spine and identity? I have no interest in being part of an "Anglosphere". I am an American, and I stand proud and independent. The rest of the world speaks my language because they recognize our superiority.

What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

famguardian.org/publications/propertyrights/Pamlaw.html
britannica.com/topic/Magna-Carta
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment#Politics
thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/20985-self-defense-in-the-uk-is-illegal
bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/09/eight-reasons-brits-move-to-america
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Relationship
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Graham_Bell
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck off nigger we love our britbros

>fuck off nigger we love our britbros
Have some pride in your country and your identity.

>heyyy guyyyyss

It doesn't matter when I speak to Muricans I don't think "English" in my head, I think "hamburger".
Why complicate things.

Haven't you got a British royal to bow to?

Pride for one's country is equivalent to pride for one's ancestry. You would understand if you weren't retarded. The US was fathered by Great Britain. Honor thy father.

>country and your identity
Our country and identity is derived from Britain.

Im only here for the rupees.

>The US was fathered by Great Britain.
We repudiated that link when we broke away in violent struggle to form our own independent nation. We have long since surpassed Britain in greatness, achievement, and sheer power. We have taken their language, made it our own, and forced it back on them. They use our vocabulary, increasingly our spellings, and our slang is regarded as superior to their own.

We've long since won the culture war. I just want my nation's superiority recognized.

>Our country and identity is derived from Britain.
Nah. Our country and identity is derived from the Founding Fathers, the War of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.

Have some pride in your nation.

We speak English and we have English blood(unless you're one of those subhumans). Most of our culture and our technology has it's roots in Britain.

>We speak English
I don't. I speak and write American. How do you spell the word "color"?

>we have English blood
Nope. I have a mixture of Scottish and German ancestry. Everyone from my great-grandparents down was born in this country.

>Most of our culture and our technology
The Constitution, the Bill of Rights, Congress, all these things were invented in Britain? The car, the computer, the Internet, the aircraft, the telephone - how many of these were invented in Britain?

Tell me what it is like to actively diminish the standing of your country in the world. Have some pride.

Real Americans are just Anglos on another continent (your elite, the WASPs, are an example).

Everyone else is just a foreigner residing in Anglo lands.

>Real Americans are just Anglos on another continent
Nope. We're your superiors. There's a reason your youth and your brightest citizens want nothing more than to come to my country.

We speak the American dialect of English, it's the same fucking language but with slight differences.

>Nope. I have a mixture of Scottish and German ancestry
Literal subhuman

>all these things were invented in Britain?
Invented by rebel British colonists.

We invented shit too but a lot of stuff can be traced back to the British, they started the industrial revolution after all.

Fucking this. I speak English because it's my heritage and the heritage of this country. Anyone that knows the actual history of this country understands that America is an English idea to its very core.

>Invented by rebel British colonists.
You honestly do not view us as an independent nation, forged by the bravery of those who died to secure our freedom and strengthened by the ingenuity and industriousness of a young people in a new and unconquered world?

It's when I'm talking to people like you that I understand why this country is going to the dogs.

Of course we're an independent nation you fucking idiot. I'm just saying it's wrong to deny the fact that we owe our heritage, and in part our success, to the British.

How does that make Americans not very English? It's not like a switch was flipped and suddenly they forgot their entire culture overnight in 1776. The Revolution was a deeply English idea in the first place, rooted in the English Civil War of the previous century.

You're crediting our independent development of distinctly American ideas and cultural traditions (personal liberty, the right to vote in your leaders, to own firearms, etc) to Britain, when we rejected British rule and supremacy at the birth of our nation. I'm not denying we have cultural roots in Britain, but they are no longer relevant to us.

They're not distinctly American ideas retard, they're distinctly English. Read English history because I fucking KNOW you haven't or else you wouldn't make such an ignorant post. The Revolution was not a rejection of Englishness, it was a rejection of royalism. You have a babby-tier understanding of your own country's history.

>they are no longer relevant to us.
unbelievably retarded

>unbelievably retarded
Are you kidding? We own Britain. They do our bidding. They admire us and want to be more like us. They gave up their influence and power in the EU specifically so they could become closer to us. They're like a European Canada.

>They're not distinctly American ideas retard, they're distinctly English.
Right. Which is why everyone in Britain has the right to keep and bear arms? And there's no such thing as hate speech laws? And the most powerful person in Britain is voted in by the people? You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

>we have English blood

Nope. Most White Americans have German ancestry. Try again, Anglocuck.

A lot of those ideas and cultural traditions are actually British. The right to self defense is one of those British ideas. The founding fathers didn't just pull these ideas out of thin air. Our law system is an evolution of English Common Law.

famguardian.org/publications/propertyrights/Pamlaw.html

britannica.com/topic/Magna-Carta

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment#Politics

The vast majority of people in Central and South America have never been to Spain........

>The right to self defense is one of those British ideas.
thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/20985-self-defense-in-the-uk-is-illegal

In the US, we have the right to defend ourselves. In Britain, you go to prison.

The entire world would consider you retarded if you claimed your own language.

>The entire world would consider you retarded if you claimed your own language.
Thank you for speaking American. We'll consider giving you a trade deal if you continue to obey us.

Go read a history book. The British government isn't known for respecting the rights of it's citizens.

>There's a reason your youth and your brightest citizens want nothing more than to come to my country.

By all means, start calling it American. We'd laugh our ass off.

bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/09/eight-reasons-brits-move-to-america

We have the best universities, the biggest companies, and the brightest opportunities. There's a reason Brits have to wait so long to get a visa to enter our country.

Nice try with this divide and conquer bullshit. We love you to ameribros. The world is ours.

>The world is ours.
Ours, actually. You're a small has-been island in the North Atlantic.

>They gave up their influence and power in the EU specifically so they could become closer to us. They're like a European Canada.
Wtf does that have to do with American culture? That's just politics

>Right. Which is why everyone in Britain has the right to keep and bear arms? And there's no such thing as hate speech laws? And the most powerful person in Britain is voted in by the people?
well I really hope you're just trolling or something man because this post is supremely ignorant of the past

>well I really hope you're just trolling or something man because this post is supremely ignorant of the past
I don't care about the distant past. I care about this country's present, and our future.

>That's just politics
It's their politics. They know they are no longer able to stand by themselves, and they crave a strong protector.

They were thoroughly assimilated to the Anglo-American way during the anti-German hysteria of the world wars. All we really have left of their identity are strange Christmas traditions.

OP is your typical civic nationalist in an identity crisis. He's probably some pacoshitskin who believe's genetics to be irrelevant, and environment to be the 100% determinant factor of a human being.

You're not an Anglo-Saxon, OP. You're not even a white European. You can't just forge a country out of nothing. It's rooted deep, deep in the DNA of a human being, from caveman ancestor to modern day.

You will never be an American, OP. Why? Because you're not part of my tribe. We don't share the same ancestors, like myself and white Americans. Mine are from Western Europe, yours are from Mexico. That's it.

>I don't care about the distant past

you can't understand the present or positively affect the future without knowing the past

>They gave up their influence and power in the EU specifically so they could become closer to us
But that's wrong you fucking retard

>You will never be an American, OP. Why? Because you're not part of my tribe.
I don't understand how you can think that makes sense. You're not American. We threw out people like you when we created a great, strong nation. England means about as much to us today as Canada.

>Mine are from Western Europe, yours are from Mexico.
To be honest, Mexico is probably more useful to America than England. What do you provide us with anyway? At least Mexico gives us an endless supply of avocados.

>you can't understand the present or positively affect the future without knowing the past
I know about the past. I just don't give it an undue importance. We used to be ruled by the British. Now we rule them, along with the rest of the world.

>Mexico is probably more useful to America than England

civic nationalist paco detected

>Mexico is probably more useful to America than England
You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. Half of our fucking defense industry is British.

>Why do we still refer to the language spoken in the US as "English?"
You don't, it's referred to as "American English" because the webster guy was to retarted to spell and removed/changed vowels in words because muh independunce, the changes are minimal (grey/gray, colour/color)

>and contributing far more culture and literature to the language than was ever contributed by the English themselves
wot

>We used to be ruled by the British
no you fucking retard
we weren't some kind of subject nation
we WERE the british
that's a huge difference

The computer was actually designed by a British mathematician you dumb fucking pillock. Since you're not aware of this fact, it's safe to assume that whatever drivel you're writing is also full of ignorance. A smile grows on my face to the fact that 22 soliders kill themselves every hour.

so all those countries that speak english but also drive on the left side of the road? do they speak english only because of america?

nth for fuck off with your divide & conquer shill shit, OP.

This is a message to the actual Americans on this board, the white ones. Op's attempt to reinforce sense of civic nationalism via subtraction of ancestry is laughable.

We are the Anglosphere. We share culture, religion and ancestry. Our roots are the same. OP is mad because he will never be a part of that.

Best friends forever.

That is true, but pharmaceuticals are Mexico. Gotta change that soon.

Remind me what value England actually provides my country with.

>it's referred to as "American English"
I still don't understand why. The language we speak is the standard spoken throughout the world. Foreigners find the English accent difficult, but American is crystal-clear and easy to follow.

>the webster guy was to retarted to spell and removed/changed vowels in words
Why should there be an "e" in gray, and not an "a"? Why does it make sense to spell "harmonize" with an "s", when everyone pronounces it with a "z" sound?

>we weren't some kind of subject nation
Yes, that's exactly what the Founding Fathers believed. We were British, so we had to fight against the British to achieve our freedom.

Wait...

>22 soliders kill themselves every hour

Really? Fuck, that's sad.

>come to Costa Rica
>call yourself an 'American'
>get bitched out by local Costa Ricans who claim "I'm American too"
>fucking central America

It's so beautiful though, they just couldn't handle the freedom overdose HOORAH

>Remind me what value England actually provides my country with.

Literally everything prior to it's existence. Don't worry, I wouldn't expect a Hispanic anchor baby to understand or appreciate cultural/ancestral heritage. The majority of you are mongrels, it explains your failure.

You all speak Canadian, heirs to the Empire.

Bow to the leaf.

Some spic countries speak a more bastardized version of Spanish than we do of English and they still call it Spanish. A language needs to change a shit load before its worth calling it something else. We just have a different dialect

Because it's the English language you div. If America develops its own language independent of English then it will no longer be speaking English until then it is an English speaking country.

Well, it is until more spics show up at least.

We really need to make English the official language.

I...it's not already?!?

Nope, we don't have an official language.

>Literally everything prior to it's existence.
What value does England provide my country right now, in this year, 2017?

Its still the same language various words such as "trousers" vs "pants" are just separate evolutions of slang, but it is still very much the same language

>I just want my nation's superiority recognized.

desu, you sound like a kraut behind a proxy.

The language is still English. The spelling and pronunciation is very rarely different Compare with french vs quebecer. Those aren't even remotely the same language, might as well compare spanish to italian.

No. You don't fix what's not broke.

This is why so many people around the world hate the USA. Idiots like this OP who dont understand their history and culture and just want to scream AMERICA and FREEDOM as loud as possible

because people in England can still understand Americans when we speak

Together we are the secret empire that rules the world.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

Why do we still refer to them as """French Fries""" - we clearly should be calling them Freedom Fries.

becuase its fucking english you stupid cunt

also this is a slide thread to cause anglo flame war SAGE

>what is a dialect

You speak english, in USA.
Quebec speaks french in Canada.
Mexicans speaks spanish in Mexico.
Many other examplea in Europe.

You don't have an identity or culture other than burgers, obesity, aids, egoism and ignorance.

And people don't speak english because of USA, they speak it because of the British colonisaton.

>because people in England can still understand Americans when we speak
Because they watch our movies, read our books, and desperately try to be like us. We export our culture and the rest of the world swallows.

>Together we are the secret empire that rules the world.
Nah. The US is. We just share with you. Seriously - if every other nation dropped out of the Five Eyes, we would be the only country almost completely unaffected. The UK would be barely able to cope. The remainder would collapse.

The computer and the telephone are British inventions.

where is the one with israel leacing you?

>The computer and the telephone are British inventions.
That's so self-hating it's almost pathetic.

>Because they watch our movies, read our books, and desperately try to be like us. We export our culture and the rest of the world swallows.

(((Your))) culture

Every time I go to the UK I say ironic shit like this on purpose to other americans when bongers are listening in order to troll them.

Other gems are things like "yeah man europe is pretty much only free because we saved it in two wars".

read this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Relationship

Stating facts is self hatred?
Should I just agree with all the bullshit that you post because you do it with the same flag? Fuck off and stop being a retard.

it's not an evolution of slang you hay seed. trousers and pants are not the same article of clothing.

Oh fuck off you assblasted Anglocuck. We are superior to you in pretty much every way. And what's sad is that all the White Americans that built this country were of mostly German descent. It's OK, you're not the only European country to have an inferiority complex towards its former colony.

Nigel makes a good point. Even if there's no ego here, and there clearly is, this fellow burger completely fails to understand what a language is. For fuck's sake, there are dialects of German that are *completely* incomprehensible when compared to the standard form and are still called German.

Scots (NOT Scottish English or Scottish Gaelic) is clearly very different and yet there's still a debate on whether it's a language or not. And I am more inclined to believe it's not.

Yes, our culture. Can you name any entirely British-based and British-made movies which are popular in cinemas worldwide right at this moment? I can't.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Relationship
What's it worth to the US?

>Stating facts is self hatred?
How can you seriously believe that the British invented the telephone? That kind of ignorance about your country and desire to give away its achievements to others reeks of self-hatred.

I believe the British invented the telephone because the British invented the telephone.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Graham_Bell

>the White Americans that built this country were of mostly German descent.

Reminder that Sup Forums was an Esperanto exclusive board until 2014

You really don't know how to argue effectively, do you? The computer and telephone were British made, look it up on your precious fucking Wikipedia. Its hilarious watching you try to shame Americans for not being complete mindless cocksuckers with no independent thought.

Americans invented the TV. Much cooler invention.

>What's it worth to the US?
It's the reason we became a super power after WW2. Britain couldn't maintain their empire so they effectively handed it to us, they share everything with us, espionage, military tech, everything.

>I believe the British invented the telephone because the British invented the telephone.
Odd. Boston, Massachusetts is part of the UK? (Separately, why did a brilliant engineer leave the UK in order to come to the US to work)?

>the computer and telephone were British made
Neither were British made. British people played minor roles in their eventual creation, just like French, Italians, and Germans did. However, the final invention of both the telephone and the personal computer took place in the USA.

You sound like niggers who claim that they built the country cause they worked the cotton fields

part of the reason*

>Scottish

Television is pretty awful desu but it's most certainly an important invention, this fucking retard doesn't know that it's an American invention though hence why he's trying to argue that the telephone is instead of actually focusing on American inventions.

Also he left Scotland for Canada then came down to America, if you want to argue that Canada is a better place than America by your same arguments then you're the only self-hating cuck here.

The first solid state computer was invented by a German

>if you want to argue that Canada is a better place than America
Why would I? He left Canada to come to the US. It was in the US that the telephone was finally invented.

>Charles Babbage
>Alan Turing
>Alexander Graham Bell
>minor
Stop making my country look retarded.

He left Canada briefly then returned to Canada, by your logic this makes Canada the superior country.

Its Sad. The Brits have invented many things. I'd argue that Americans have invented more or rather more notable inventions, but that really does not matter.

However, the telephone is British. Why is that hard to comprehend?

If I went to Canada and invented a device, then that wouldn't make my invention of Canadian origin you dumb fuck. I'm going to go assault a homeless veteran now because of you, happy freedom!