Electromagnetic fags BTFO

You're going to use goddamned steam

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=reI43yUCaUI
youtube.com/watch?v=OywpJozEcKA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

makes sense since we are fighting people who fight like its medieval times

Electricity is without a doubt better than steam, you moron!

How do you think nuclear reactors produce electricity, user?

What happens when you battery banks are low after launching 20 jets and you cant recharge them in time to relaunch all 20 after refeuling?
Steam is easily replenishable. It take 6 hours to recharge a fucking commuter car. Imagine an aircraft carrier dipshit.

Also steam is free. The electromagnetic system will cost billions

whats up with his hair seriously?

its a fucking nuclear reactor. it doesn't need batteries.

redesigning the entire ship around switching to steam isn't free, it would cost billions. the billions on the electromag launch and arrest has already been spent

the reason for the new system isnt "ooh its futuristic", its the space and weight savings of miles upon miles of piping that is heavy, expensive, maintenance intensive, not to mention potentially deadly to sailors

they've already spent our cash on the new system, they'll make it work before the Ford's are deployed. Trump wouldn't see it any other way, presented with a full and accurate accounting of the two options

What trump knows about anything you could stick in a thimble.

I came in here to say this.

I don't know much about the engineering but I love that Trump blurts out some statement that tons of people will try to pass off as evidence that Trump is an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about, and then inevitably it will become clear that Trump is right.

>redesigning the entire ship around switching to steam isn't free,

most of the bigger ships are already nuclear

what the fuck is he on about go back when did we leave?

I hope he's talking about lifter reactors because the UN has been fucking us they only allow the Chinese to build those

Nuclear reactors need steam.

>the billions on the electromag launch and arrest has already been spent
>they've already spent our cash on the new system

Sunk cost fallacy.

>both do the same thing
>only one of them has nearly an hour downtime when broken compared to the minutes the other requires for repair
honestly, it was a nice advance, but completely not necessary

Im not taking a side on this issue, but nuclear reactors generate steam which turns turbines that spin generators to produce electricity. Radioactive stuff heats water creating steam, steam expands through turbines turning generators, generators spin magnets close to coils (or coils close to magnets) to create electricity.

you don't know shit

Can you further expound on the volume of information? How is it calculated?

Are you fucking stupid, the nuclear reactor and steam power catapult are two seperate things. the reactor would still power the catapult

Show me a nuclear reactor that doesnt generate steam as an integral step in creating electricity.

Liberals believe electricity comes from the post-scarcity-fairy which blesses any and all progressive green energy devices.

Does this signal the beginning of summer chan?

Are you fucking stupid
How to you think the steam gets to the catapult and arresting gear

Have you ever been on board an aircraft carrier? worked as a pipe fitter, or a machinist mate? naval architect?

then shut the fuck up,

I'll be sure to contract you to redesign the whole thing and section and backfit the finished and in progress ships to steam catapults you fuck tard

>Miles of piping
It's six decks straight up to the accumulator from the steam plant and two more to the flight deck.
Plus the steam cats can actually launch a Hornet that's carrying a payload worth puting in the air.

Nah dude the most efficient way to produce steam is as follows : Reactor -> steam -> turbine -> generator -> electricity -> pot of water on stove -> steam collection device -> catapault

Silly engineers don't know shit.
>the flat earth education system everyone.

?

just imagine the complexity of an electromagnetic launch system compared to steam. steam, you just need pipes and valves. electromagnets need plenty of electrical power at an instant, cooling systems, and all the wiring can fail, as well as the computing systems to fire the magnets at the right time. it's stupid to put that in at this point in time. use the cheap, tried and true.

you made the claim that steam generation is a separate system from the nuclear reactor. He is disputing this claim.

He's talking about the aircraft launch systems, not how the ship moves.

Yeah, in response to his statement that Trump wants to remove nuclear power and revert the ships back to steam.

>goddamned steam

nuclear power cycle - you know it dingus?

You sir are a fucking retard.

You're absolutely correct

however, you either have to transport the steam from a circuit near the reactor, or power something else to create it where it is needed (way less efficient)

Nothing wrong with steam, it's just too late for this class of ship. whether they were right or wrong to go with the new tech, you can't take a design that took over a decade and change it that drastically without a lot of time and money

BUT MUH ELECTRICITY

THE RUSSIANS USE STEAM STEAM IS BAD!!!!

inb4 shariablue and naziboos d&c denying SUPERIOR 5D RAMPS

We steampunk era now!

What's wrong with Steam? I mean, it doesn't bug, it's free to install, Doesn't require maintenance often, and ontop of that, you can play TF2.

E M P
M
P

They're already here, they are just intentionally misinterpreting the statement and trying to imply he wants to revert ships back to using steam power and remove the reactors.

kek

>leaf

>Nah dude the most efficient way to produce steam is as follows : Reactor -> steam -> turbine -> generator -> electricity -> pot of water on stove -> steam collection device -> catapault

Silly engineers don't know shit.
>the flat earth education system everyone.

I like the way you think, let's just tow a Russian carrier behind it and run some of them umbilical things

its sarcasm you silly autist

This
>Surely the invisible hand of post-scarcity will solve our problems

I mean it probably will, but not unless we pour the majority of budgets into genocide and the fusion race

>mfw Trump is pro-steam powered catapults because he thinks US aircraft carriers run on coal

Electricity is useless if the enemy uses EMP dumdum

That makes sense.

The nuclear generator uses steam to produce electricity.

It's more efficient to just use the steam to launch the catapults, instead of losing some of the power on conversion.

Haven't seen one of your ilk in a while, toothpaste junior

Are they talking about the Railgun? Disregard the railgun, go back to steam-launched projectiles?

People will glance at this and think he wants to make steamboats with a ragtime piano player for entertainment.

youtube.com/watch?v=reI43yUCaUI

put the carrier in a faraday cage. Problem solved.

youtube.com/watch?v=OywpJozEcKA

I was away.

>It's more efficient to just use the steam to launch the catapults, instead of losing some of the power on conversion.
That may be true but it's not the full picture.

it isn't, its just that we have more experience with the steam than rail guns.

There was a time when we had more experience with propeller planes than jet engines.. and prop planes could outperform jets. Fortunately the DOD kept putting money into jets.

Are you saying using the steam is less efficient, than converting the stream to electricity and powering large fucking magnets?

God you people are ignorant. The current catapult system used on all operational CVNs in the US Navy today are steam driven. What this is about is the enormously expensive electro-magnetic catapult system in the, as yet, non-operational Ford-Class carriers. Specifically, they have proven extremely problematic.

His point is that they could have continued with proven technology at a much lower cost to the tax payer. The other side of the argument is that the new catapult system on the Ford-class carriers should prove more reliable over time (once the bugs are ironed out) and it greatly simplifies the internal layout of the systems, since there is no routing of steam from primary power production.

I think his point of view is short-sighted, but there is absolutely a valid argument against the newer system, especially given the massive costs overruns and failures involved.

>liberals
>post scarcity
You realize Liberalism is a right wing ideology? Sup Forums so stupid to when it comes to liberalism.

needed a way to dumb this down for those of you who just dont get it, so we'll use wikipedia as a source:

>
Compared to the Nimitz-class reactor, the CVN 21 reactor has about half as many valves, piping, major pumps, condensers, and generators. The steam-generating system uses fewer than 200 valves and only eight pipe sizes. These improvements lead to simpler construction, reduced maintenance, and lower manpower requirements as well as to a more compact system that requires less space in the ship. The modernization of the plant led to a higher core energy density, lower demands for pumping power, a simpler construction, and the use of modern electronic controls and displays. The new plant requires just one-third the watchstanding requirements and a decrease of required maintenance.[32]

We should be more worried about these scary lasers and gender neutral berths

Trump is right
>entire Carrier is vulnerable to one single Emp bomb attack

Ramps starting to look a little better now eh?

Wouldn't the planes be fucked too anyways though?

Faraday cage.

just like your car, the rubber tires would insulate

even if it were plugged into something, its not a big deal, there are redundancies

lightning strikes in the water aren't really a big deal. on land yes, even in port there's nothing to really be scared of, being 200ft up an antenna mast during a lightening storm. builds character!

Also, this, beyond not being grounded, and all the redundancies built into the ship and planes, the hull is basically an enormous faraday cage

>point of view is short-sighted

I would agreed if we were talking about some regular ass consumer product (like smart phones using newer tech like 5G) but this is a couple billion dollar weapon of war that needs to work.
If the new system fails and we can't get our jets the air, the carrier is a sitting duck. If the system isn't working and the due date for these things are soon, just wait till the next generation of carriers comes up, but then, the system should work.

WRONG

I'd use steam cars before electric cuckwagons

>being 200ft up an antenna mast during a lightening storm. builds character!
Sounds really fun to be honest. I got chased off lake mi in my kayak by a coastie helicopter once when a gnarly storm was coming in.

hopefully these protections will prevent against an x class CME hitting us too.

cvn-78 is scheduled to retire in 2110

that is 93 years from now

its not a 30 year ship, we can't just rip out the steam piping and say "oh shit guess electricity was a good idea all along"

>its a fucking nuclear reactor. it doesn't need batteries.

It has massive capacitor banks for catapults.

>I don't know much about the engineering but I love that Trump blurts out some statement that tons of people will try to pass off as evidence that Trump is an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about, and then inevitably it will become clear that Trump is right.

Ford-class carriers were designed to utilize electromagnetic catapults from ground up. Money spent on EMALS will be wasted. USN should deal with teething issues on EMALS. Quite often first ships of class have all kinds of problems to deal with.

>Are you fucking stupid, the nuclear reactor and steam power catapult are two seperate things. the reactor would still power the catapult

Not really. Catapults take their steam from same secondary cooling circuit and steam generators as turbines that run generators and propulsion.

Lets add another less than perfectly efficient steps to running catapults.

>Not using the burp-powered wonkamobile

>x class CME
should have said x class solar flare or a CME. They are different phenomena, but a direct hit on Earth could (and has in the past) mess up a LOT of electrical stuff.

>Sounds really fun to be honest. I got chased off lake mi in my kayak by a coastie helicopter once when a gnarly storm was coming in.

It's a blast, only really scary the first time. And you already know if you climb down, you're going to wind up having to make the trip twice,

>hopefully these protections will prevent against an x class CME hitting us too.

Would probably work out ok for some airplanes and ships, but i'd be more worried about the chaos when 99% of the world loses power, and communications. just contemplating it make my brain hurt

>steam is free

>i'd be more worried about the chaos when 99% of the world loses power and communications
Holy fuck, you're right.

#ramps4lyfe

Trump was trying to explain that the military brass are complaining that the electromagnetic catapults don't work. So basically we wasted billions on an aircraft carrier with electromagnetic catapults that don't work.

So steam works better, obviously, it would, steam is very powerful.

>Trump was trying to explain that the military brass are complaining that the electromagnetic catapults don't work. So basically we wasted billions on an aircraft carrier with electromagnetic catapults that don't work.
Make them work. What the fuck are the fuckers at your universities busy doing, designing electro-magnetic bongs or something?

Might as well be, it doesn't take much to charge the accumulators compared to what the steam generators are outputting. Plus the carriers are never running at one hundred percent power, nor are the turbine generators operating at full capacity. The whole thing is designed to go balls out and still launch airplanes so there's always an abundance.

Think of it like the switch from coal, diesel, or nuclear steam turbine propulsion, or direct drive (shafted from gas turbine or diesel to reduction gear to transom two wheel). All the subs do it. The new diesel powered royal navy carrier did it. Even the new Zummwalt DDG1k series did it.

Even if there was a slight loss in efficiency while the motor winding tech catches up, you've just eliminated thousands of pounds of shafting, carrier bearings, gearboxes that weigh as much as the engine and cost a lot more too. You have a genset or motor that can be upgraded or repaired or replaced without dry docking and sectioning the hull,

You don't see many steam locomotives around for a reason any more.

Once you commit, you can't un-suck that dick!