Book recommendations also

Book recommendations also

Am currently on an ancient history bender, you all ought to read Herodotus and Thucydides once in your life, if you can find the time.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!B4dB2SzQ!h_pMC30v2a_y31iD0dy0sg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ancient history is dope

Do you like the penguin and Oxford classics translations for Roman primary sources?

I've been wanting to read the first book of Livy, and perhaps Tacitus, sallust, and Suetonius.

I recommend the history of Rome podcast if you haven't listened to it.

I personally buy Oxford classics when I can. They usually are more professionally written and stick to the core of the book instead of Penguin, who I've found are very fond of inserting 100 page prefaces whilst shortening the actual books down significantly.

The covers are also nicer. I like the uniformity. Looks good on a shelf. Those academic prefaces can be nice but not if the actual text is sacrificed.

I like to challenge myself with reading, so when I see a book has 600 pages instead of 500 I get interested automatically.

But when I find out those extra hundred pages are filled with "what did x mean by y on page z", it feels as though I am paying for an index all while not getting the full value of the book. So yeah go for Oxford

I've been on a WW1/WW2 kick, myself. Also almost done with Gulag Archipelago.

I'm jealous of people who can read that much.

mega.nz/#F!B4dB2SzQ!h_pMC30v2a_y31iD0dy0sg
Here is a large collection of books to read.

You should read the culture of critique and yockey, faggot

Did you read any accompanying texts for these roman historians or did you jump right in?

I've been seeing a lot about Solzenhitzyn on here. I have a copy of ivan denisovitch that I haven't gotten around to reading yet. How are you liking gulag archipelago?

Ignore this.

I've enjoyed it a lot, gives you good insights into just how bad things can get under a communist dictator and how badly a population can be transformed to work against its own people.
It gets a bit confusing keeping track of all the russian names and locations though.

Don't really recommend this, but I'm surprised at how it sounds like Sup Forums

I read a couple of books in my childhood but besides that this is all