Prove me Christianity caused the Dark Ages

Or prove me it didn't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NmH4GRYOkNw&ab_channel=DaveJ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Empire#Loss_of_the_Western_Roman_Empire
youtube.com/watch?v=-ilFbbk9jw4
wordsthatfollow.com/play/game.php?gid=1130
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There were no dark ages

The Roman Catholic Church suppressed scientific development for many years.

One such case involves Giordano Bruno who was imprisoned and executed for heresy. One such "heretical" theory of his being heliocentrism and the theory of stars being distant suns with their own orbiting planets.

That's just one example though. The old Roman Catholic Church was much less about faith and following the Lord, it was a massive power play. Anyone that taught or preached anything contrary or more than what they did was branded a heretic.

If anything Christianity progressed Europe OUT of what is known as the "Dark ages"
>Crusades unified the European continent, allowed nations to be formed and stableized
>Church preserved as much information as possible after the fall of Rome and the rampant snow nigger viKANG incursions
>Black Plague, that's nature my man

It's a myth, Christianity is the only reason we retained any ancient knowledge in the first place

Pretty much this.

Fuck off with your grade 9 understanding of the Catholic Church, Good Lord this board is pure cancer now

>One such case involves Giordano Bruno
that wasnt durring the "dark" ages

Islam caused the dark ages, fucked up the trade routes.

>t. Pic related

I would put the blame on the power vacuum left after the fall of Rome, muzzie incursions probably did some bad shit to the economy tho

This is also retarded, it's named as such because of the fall of rome - the lack of any powerful centralized Empire to control Europe. I hate Muslims as much as anyone but you can't just blame them for everything - ESPECIALLY before Islam even existed

if a group of people swarm you and torture trying to force you to submit to a lie you have every right to eliminate them

> T-t-that is a 9th grade level understanding of the Church!!!

either refute him or fuck off, cuck-licker christfags

>1000 years of almost none scientific development
>coincidentally the catholic church was homogeneous during that time in Europe and you could burn to death because of free speech

The dark ages didn't exist. Humanity has only been around for about 1000 years. History shows this to be true.

He didn't make an argument, he simply referred to a case that happened well after the "dark ages" ended.
>christfag
fuck off plebbit

To be fair, I'm a Christfag myself, but the Catholic church is and always has been ass backwards. They didn't even allow people to own or read their own Bibles for the longest time.

They were in it for power and control. It's kind of sad really, they once wielding that authority mightily, but look at what they've become now. The current pope is a joke, as is the Vatican.

>Crusades unified the European continent
>mfw 1/3rd of Germany died because they believed in unity the wrong way
ehhhh ok

That's retarded
>burn to death because of free speech
No, it's because of heresy, and the Catholic Church was, and is, absolutely autistic about keeping the doctrine of the church correct
My refutation:

WUT!?

The person he mentioned was borth in the 1500s
That is not the "dark" ages

Are you talking about the Protestant Reformation? The one that happened WELL after the Dark Ages? It's like nobody reads the fucking OP

also
>implying Martin Luther wasn't a nigger who needlessly shit over Christianity and created the worst, most cucked branch of it as a result

Fall of Rome caused the collapse of trade routes, rising and invasion of Islam caused resources to be diverted to fend off the threat for as long as possible until it really became a problem with islamist encroachment and sacking. There are other factors at play, but it's as though the internet and trade would suddenly be cut off in your country, shit would happen. Christianity 'helped' but the catholics were tremendous cunts only interested in feathering their citadels and enjoying burning innocents at the stake. With the black death from chinese rats/fleas, it was a vicious cycle that took Europe all too long to pluck themselves from while the Middle East enjoyed our sacked riches from the Barbary Slave Trade and worse.

Try READING a book.

Is the earth also flat nigga?

It was an example, because they kept doing the same shit well after the "Dark Ages" ended.

>earth
>flat

What are you? Retarded?

Just because some idiots ITT think the Dark Ages extended from 400BC - 1850AD,

It was roughly 600-700 years, approximately 100AD to 700AD before Europe started seeing improvement in education, population (increase), and the arts.

civil war never happened
youtube.com/watch?v=NmH4GRYOkNw&ab_channel=DaveJ

Ok but what were they doing during the dark ages other than protecting knowledge from raiding pagans

>100 ad-700 ad
Why would you include the Roman Empire in this assessment and then exclude the Plague?

The Fall of Rome was due to excessive taxation and government confiscation. People had to abandon their property and society decayed. Rome was weak by the time the barbarians came around.

1. The Roman Empire was already in decline by 100AD
2. The Black Death didn't happen until the 14th century, which is, fucking AGAIN, far after the so-called "dark ages" ended.

You can't just assume every bad thing that happened to Europe was during the Dark Ages. Italy was already making massive strides in technology at this time, the "dark" was fucking over.

fpbp

Christ saw a vision of the future and had to set the dark ages in motion to lead to a narrow chance of humans surviving the great filter

Rome had to fall, it was the best of all possible worlds.. or it will be, after the crucible.

>implying dark age existed
Confirmed for never reading a history book

There was a dark age. Then Christianity went full autist. Then there was a dark age. Where's the confusion?

This. Dark Ages is just a meme that reddit loves to jerk off over.

The closest thing was the instability caused by viking invasions.

The confusion is in your sentence familia

>2017
>still believing in "dark ages"

gtfo out of here newfag

Christian Rome collapsed because of pagan migration and the destruction of culture. At the same time, the Christian Byzantine flourished.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Empire#Loss_of_the_Western_Roman_Empire

Germanic invasion and rule caused the dark ages. Eastern Roman empire did well during the "Dark Ages."

Islamic attacks on Europe and constant raiding and pillaging caused the dark ages.
Watch the presentation of Stefan Molyneux
youtube.com/watch?v=-ilFbbk9jw4

With the fall of the Roman Empire, Europe progress was essentially returned to tribalism. There weren't any more highly organized societies. It would take around 700 years until proper civilizations would rise again, with strict social structure, vibrant economies and such.
Imagine if we would get overrun by muslim horders now, we would return to Saudi Arabia cultural level, and it would take some time to create something worthwhile again.

THE FUCKING FALL OF ROME IS WHY THE FOLLOWING CENTURIES ARE REFERRED TO AS "DARK"

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FUCKING IDIOTS ITT

ISLAM DIDN'T EXIST UNTIL THE 7TH CENTURY, THE VERY FUCKING END OF THE SO-CALLED "DARK AGES"

> preserving information, books, manuscripts, copying
> estabilishing universities, cathedral schools (like one from Chartres), artes liberales, science figures like St. Albertus Magnus
> orders like Cistercians or the one of Saint Benedict building the economy
> Saint Thomas Aquinas, scholastics (Salamanca)
> philosophy, art
"How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization" by Thomas Woods Jr. should be mandatory.
Seeing such thread I understand, why the West deserves to die. Every civilization which renounces it's origins will die sooner or later.

Don't lose heart my polack friend, it's just the retards from r/atheism on their first visit

You forgot to mention Islam started the dark ages through their years of conquest and library burning building up to the crusades, but good post.

>graph with no units
*tipping intensifies*

I'm sure Islam played somewhat of a role in it, but it's not as big of a factor as the fall of Rome

>that pic

>"scientific advance" on the Y coordinate
really makes me think

Nigger Mohammed didn't scribble his first line until 610AD, don't fucking post if you can't even google

*axis

>Crusades unified the European continent, allowed nations to be formed and stableized
United? Really? Tell that to the Byzantines crusaded just because they were believing in the diffrent version of Christkikenity.
>Church preserved as much information as possible after the fall of Rome and the rampant snow nigger viKANG incursions
Wrong. Many of works of the ancient great men wouldn't survive if the Arabs didn't save them.

>not posting the full image

Yes, many great classical works were preserved by the European monasteries as well as the Arab slavers. You must know that mos of these important translations were done by Kaffir slaves, no?

*most

I'm not trying to glory the muzzies. Just mentioning that christkikes HAD NOT BEEN REALLY preserving as much as they could.

Islamic conquests occurred around the 7th century and went all the way to spain. Raids happened all the way into france.

>could
Ok, what information did they willingly tossout?

very nice.
didn't know there was more to it.
thanks

Rome fell in the west, but did not categorically impede trade routes.
In the east rome never fell until the pre modern age

Please for the love of Christ read the fucking OP. This is about the Dark Ages, many idiots ITT are claiming it was due solely to Islam, whereas Islam didn't even exist until the very end of the so called "dark". I'm well aware about the Islamic conquests, but for fuck's sake the Moors didn't conquer Spain until 710AD

This is true, there was a serious schism in the Church whether or not to even preserve "pagan" philosophy like that of Aristotle, Plato, etc. Regardless, they decided to preserve it. We may not have the entire collection but God Damnit they kept some of it

>700ad
That is the dark ages if you could call it that

>We may not have the entire collection but God Damnit they kept some of it
Would not really glorify them for preserving "some of it".

Yes, at the tail end of the Dark Ages, by all historical accounts. So again, Islam didn't "create" the dark Ages. That's all I'm saying

So none would be preferable to some? Are you a pagan or something?

No 700ad is the dark ages.
Not before, there were no dark ages before that

Could you at least try?

>Are you a pagan or something?
Yes, I have no reason to believe in a jewish nonsence and a lot reasons to trust my forebears.

That's not the fault of the church that they couldn't preserve EVERYTHING, shit happens, empires fall, information is lost. The best you can do is pick up what's left

Alright Varg, whatever. I don't care if you're a pagan but you should at least brush up on your history before pretending like you have

wordsthatfollow.com/play/game.php?gid=1130

join lads

Autism

Your forebears were almost certainly Catholic so I really don't understand what you're talking about

Rome was Christian long before it fell. The cultural enrichment of the Germanic tribes, Vandals, Huns, and such is what caused the Dark Ages.

Wait really? Can I get more Info?

underrated

Niklot and Zadruga? You have to go back...

The fall of the roman empire caused the "dark ages." War was rampant. The Black Plague didn't help either.

>muh oppressed scientists

There are a few token examples about the church repressing views about the orientation of celestial bodies.

You first.
What dark age before 700ad are you referring to?
Britain? I suppose the saxon invasion can be considered a dark age

>The best you can do is pick up what's left
And they didn't do that. Also why has the Empire fallen? Hasn't it fallen because of being weakened by chirstianity? Hasn't the Rome been captured and burned by fellow christian "barbarians" (protip: Goths and Vandals were not pagan).
not an argument
not an argument
Protip: Humanity wasn't born in 1 AD, therefore the most of my forebears were not Catholic, or were not really Catholic.

twoja ziemia obiecana gdzies tam ---------->

Hrs referring to the power vacuum left after the fall of Rome

The Dark Ages never happened.
And no, the idea isn't just that the period wasn't "Dark", I mean the time period itself never existed.
There was no "early" Middle Ages, it was created by latter scholars and kings.

Nigger come the fuck on, don't argue semantics on something that is CLEARLY defined.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)
The concept of a "dark age" didn't even occur until the 1300s. I won't argue that the snownigger viking raids were devastating, but you're just distracting from the fact you have no fucking clue what you're talking about

You do know the Crusades started to SAVE the Byzantine Empire and the Orthodox faith, right? Please read Urban II's speech at Clermont to educate yourself.

In the late 8th century, the Caliph passed laws banning Christians and Jews from holding positions in law and scholarship. Less then 10 years later, these laws were repealed cause the Saracens couldn't do these jobs. The myth of the enlightened muslim still going strong, I see.

>Giordano Bruno

Bruno was executed for heresey of saying like Jesus was not the son of God but a talented magician, the holy spirit was the earth's soul, the devil was redeemable ect.

Are your parents or grandparents not Catholic? that's all I was implying. No need to be such an autistic faggot.

>muhh you believe in God therefore you're a hardcore evangelist
no I don't believe the world is 2000 years old you stupid fucking redditor

Not the dark ages and only in western rome. All the barbarians that settled on roman land were 1.christian 2. Swore fealty to byzantium 3.traded with rome

That article says scholars dont even use the term "dark ages" anymore

>You do know the Crusades started to SAVE the Byzantine Empire and the Orthodox faith, right? Please read Urban II's speech at Clermont to educate yourself.
I haven't said that the crusades were not started to "save byzantium" (or more christkikes' interests).

But you have to educate yourself on the Fourth Crusade.
>no I don't believe the world is 2000 years old you stupid fucking redditor
You don't get my point. My grandparents or even greatgrandparents are not my only forebears. My ancestors comes even as far as the Neanderthals, who already had their own religion.

Catholic church was pro-white genocide during middle ages if it got them gold and new slaves. Look up northern/baltic crusades.

Which were backed by the church.

Yes, how the Catholics treated Orthodox Christians was abhorrent and inhumane. I'm not going to argue that for even a second.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the "dark ages caused by Christianity" though

>Confirmed for never reading a history book

That concept only came around after the enlightenment. How can you call people who built something like Chartes Cathedral ignorant or incivilized?

"Dark ages" were caused by the fall of the Roman Empire in combination with the islamic takeover of the formerly hellenic-christian sphere of the civilized world.

Christianity actually managed to preserve the ancient knowledge and unite new Europe against the islamic threat.