THOMAS AQUINAS THREAD

THOMAS AQUINAS THREAD

Alright Sup Forums Christians time to put these fedora fucks in bed with some theology.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/121880695/#121900250
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Which theologian is the most hardcore?

I'm tired of modern cucked Christianity where you can be a huge degenerate as long as you pray for forgiveness and just believe.

What are we expecting from this thread?

Well I posted an updated explanation of a basic argument for God and His nature via Aquinas in this post. This is the first of three parts of the discussion and the other two parts follow it.
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/121880695/#121900250

There is more to Catholic theology and it's Scholastic tradition than Aquinas though.

The scholastic tradition is generally good.
Scotus, Bonaventure, Aquinas, and the like. The whole tradition.

Edward Feser is a good current commentator on the whole thing.

Will it save me from degeneracy and give me purpose in life?

Luther

Any theologian worth their salt would say prayer is more effective then anything they themselves could produce, but it couldn't hurt

I would recommend you go Presbyterian

Can't read shit faggot

No, it would tell you you already have one.

What is some good introductory material on Thomism. I am already subscribed to Edward Feser's blog.

It is the ultimate degeneracy, leafbro. Think for yourself.

Feser's Scholastic Metaphysics: A Contemporary Introduction is a 10/10 intro. Introductions to this stuff are hard to come by but once you get the basics the whole thing opens up.

>memeing a person who is searching for answers

Don't be so foolish.

Christianity is weak and pathetic. Fuck your God.

Am a Presbyterian myself. Very good church, non-cucked Pastor who calls out degenerate behaviour and political interference in the Church.

>theology
The study of making shit up? It's such a great field because any given retard can be an expert in it.

And this shit is why the west is in turmoil.

What denomination? Every denomination in Canada is very liberal. Otherwise, that's great to hear. Blessings.

>Which theologian is the most hardcore?

St. John of the Cross.

He'll fuck your shit up.

Why do you respond to him? Did he phrase that in a way that would invite debate and civil discussion ?

> t.brainlet

> Any theologian worth their salt would say prayer is more effective then anything they themselves could produce, but it couldn't hurt
i.e. Calvin

PCC. My pastor is a bit of an anomaly to be fair, we are in a small town away from any city, and he reckons that he is one of 3 true conservative pastors left.
However the PCC recently voted down a proposal to allow homosexual marriage and pastors. So there's still some hope left.

>Augustine
>Aquinas
>Calvin

Anyone who advances the idea of double pre-destinationism (ie God creates unbaptized babies in order to damn them) is pretty hardcore.

You need to look outside of Protestant bullshit. Look to a field such as Natural Theology.

I find it best to work with everyone.

abandoning the true faith is degenerate itself
Catholicism can be the only church
everything else has its basis on degeneracy

Puppet master: "tell religious people to think for themselves. now, think only with your dick. hey, here are some pozed traps"

Bit thick for a newbie. A bit softer of an intro would be Lewis or Chesterton. I'm a large fan of Chesterton to be quite honest.

> You need to look outside of Protestant bullshit. Look to a field such as Natural Theology.
You mean theology based on God's revelation?

It's not a matter of being conservative but rather being true to the word of God.

> everything else has its basis on degeneracy
So Protestantism which is based on the Bible is degenerate since according to your memelord mind the Bible is a degenerate foundation

Thomas should have kept to whoring, drinking and gambling.
But his guilty conscience led him to try and foist Platonismo on everyone
>Dyonisus >>>> Ares

Pretty much

OP, what's your opinion on ratzinger as a theologian?

>being true to the word of God.
To me that is what conservatism is - they tend to take the Bible more literally, whereas the liberal denominations here interpret things through a cultural lens based upon the modern paradigm. Which to me is the epitome of degeneracy.

?

Fair enough. But the sooner you get to primary sources the better off you will be.

Strangely, I'm more interested in Chesterton as a political scientist than theologian.

As a non-Catholic there are some things I think he gets wrong, but for the most part Summa Theologica is fucking Gospel.

Most importantly, The Blessed Truth of Monotheism is proved logic in Part One, question 11, article 3.

Actus Essendi these spiritual cucks.

Whew I like you burger.
My father reads the New Testament in Greek, pretty close to primary source I reckon.
Chestertons idea of Distributism is fantastic to me, I think that if administered properly it could be a very true form of governance.
He didn't do anything groundbreaking in the field of Theology, but his apologetics are strong and excellent for a beginner.

The West isn't in turmoil, it's dead. Gone. Finished. Christianity helped bring about that too. It bred weakness and infected society.

>kept to whoring, drinking and gambling.

That's Augustine. Aquinas was a monk by the time he was 18.

Yea that will show dead idots from the past who constantly contradict eachother and themselfs

no
protestantism is not based on the bible, or else it would've been present since Christ as the church of Peter, the only true church as Jesus put it.

protestantism is based on catholicism, Luther nailing the thesis on the doors of a catholic church should've been sufficient metaphor for that to be obvious.

protestants are just quitters who abandoned the church of Peter. quitters are degenerates. abandonment of the church of peter is degeneracy

Maximus the confessor is about ass hardcore as you come, however I encourage you too stay away...start with something light, Thomas Merton for instance.

In terms of being the most "Donatist" for lack of a better term I would choose Tertullian.
Otherwise, Aquinas is the go to Theologian in Catholicism.

actually converted. well done

Read paul he is your apostal not peter unless your a jew

Pretty sure the reasonings behind the reformation were legitimate. Mary worship is foul, as was the idea of indulgences. The least cucked denominations are hardly the Catholic Church anyways, what with your Pope bowing to other religions. Some protestant churches are certainly very liberal, but there are many that stand strong morally and in the Bible.

post on /his/ if you actually want your convictions challenged. you're here because Sup Forums won't buttfuck you over this semantic-garbling non-sequitor hack.

"potentials" are abstractions and are not inherent to the universe. there is no such thing as "potential ice". there's water, and there's ice, and there's H2O which is an umbrella term over the two. this is an easy and significant flaw in the basis of his reasoning, without going into his semantical arguments and just deciding that things are so with no support because it's convenient for his argument. "this is what motion means! this is what change means!" not really but k dude.

christians like this guy because he gives the appearance of a strong argument for god to the uneducated, but that's all it is. a big puppet of an argument.

>events in reality are a chain
evidence! semantics aside, one could with the same amount of evidence suggest that they are a loop, such a weak argument it's pathetic.

>this chain cannot be infinitely long
says whom? I just shouldn't even get started here fuck

I don't care if you're religious, I'm not even going to tell you god isn't real or anything like that, but I'm not going to pretend that this guy makes any valid arguments.

Aye another Feser fan, also good taste.

the true church has been around since same time as the Catholic
read "the trail of blood" by Jim Carroll

That's how a man should be educated. I took latin in 7th grade, the rest of high school, then Greek in college, then New Testament Greek. It's made a world of difference in my life.

I've been meditating on an idea that I think I got from Chesterton. Being conservative is a losing battle because the world is constantly changing. What about it are we trying to conserve?

Don't you have a tinder date you need to start drinking for?

>Tinder
Tinder is vile and disgusting.

If you want to see fedoracucks squirm like the little babies they are just send them this link
they literally never refute it and make assumptions replying to your comment that you can tell they didnt even open it

Mary's esteem among the early church was evident at least as early as the martyrs

So orthodox Christianity and spooky eastern traditions like nestorians and the copts have never existed?

>it's like you have been brainwashed since your childhood

>I've been meditating on an idea that I think I got from Chesterton. Being conservative is a losing battle because the world is constantly changing. What about it are we trying to conserve?

Truth. Absolutes. Humanity.

Modernism denies all of these.

>Pretty sure the reasonings behind the reformation were legitimate
I'm not questioning the issues Luther had.
I'm questioning the way he dealt with it, which was abandoning the true church.
One wrong, did not make a right.

>Mary worship is foul as was the idea of indulgences
Indeed. And no catholic priest today will tell you to worship Mary. Some catholics do it (woshipping of mary and saints and even prostrating before idols), but we all have our failures. We can't go around abandoning the true church everytime some Luther has issues with its followers. That is literally abandoning the true church to the wrong people.

>The least cucked denominations are hardly the Catholic Church anyways, what with your Pope bowing to other religions
Yes, yes the current Pope is a complete shit. Still, we can't go around abandoning the true church everytime a bad Pope comes around.

You just can't abandon the true church because it fails from time to time.

protestantism kept splitting for this reason. there's no point to it, which is something Protestants don't seem to understand.

There is only one truth, and nestorians disagree with both Catholics and most protestants on basic christiology

In time you will be kneeling before the Lord, before you are thrown in hell, and be forced to confess "Jesus is Lord"

>I will force you to do as you're told and will brutally punish you if you do not do as I ask
>I love you though, I am your father
Fuck off.

Studying my catechism.

The more I learn the less worthy I feel of Christ's gift... I'm such a useless sack of shit.

please refute and dont do what i know you will do

Just a load of Judaism-Lite claptrap.

Is the PCC good? I currently go to a Baptist church, it's nice but i feel it's very "lukewarm". They're even sponsoring a refugee project (not sure if it's only christian refugees, but I doubt it)

I live in Vancouver, do you have any recommendations? Is the PCC good all around or is it just uncucked in your hometown?

Giordano Bruno imo. They burned him at the stake during the Inquisitions for his beliefs, and he went down in flames with it.
Statue of him in Italy

I don't know much about Acquinas, maybe some of you historyfuckers can give an introduction

blah blah blah muh latin One™True™Church™ blah blah protestants

Southern Baptists, Ill have you know, are not cucks.

Life isn't a gift, it's a curse. You're in what Christcucks would call "Hell". Enjoy the ride.

>Catalog
Yep congrats man you did what I knew you would do.

Do you want a cookie?

dont know why
>Catalog
showed up

but yes your retarded

No, your religion is just desert shit. No need to refute it.

none of those were founded or claim to have been founded by Peter and as such should answer to the catholic church

you're right where religion wants you to be

that's not where christianity wants him to be

though prideful is also not where it wants him to be

You proved me right again. Thanks its almost to easy with you fags

>he's defeatist as well

Why are c*tholics always such huge roleplaying faggots? Ditch the trip loser and take your One™True™Church™ with you

St John Of The Cross changed my life.St. Augustine's Confessions too.

>Christianity is weak and pathetic. Fuck your God.
God gave me the skiil to beat your fucking brains out.
God gave me the skill to blow your head off from a mile away.
God gave me the knowledge of how to blow your fucking house up,
And God gave me the fucked up attitude to actually do it.

So tell me again how weak and pathetic this Christian is NIGGER.

Perfect equilibrium

Learned in every religion and dogma, everyone search for it even though they don't realize it, the extremes will end up touching each other eventually

I firmly believe that Christianity can give you the equilibrium our soul wants us to find, the perfect rule of perfect 3, freemasonry, Talmudism, Islam and pagan religions try to emulate it, no one cans but Christ

>catechism
read the bible instead, it'll teach you more.
why are you spending so much time replying to people with the same shit? did a catholic priest touch you or something?

ditching things and leaving is something more of the likes of protestants...

>implying im wrong about the fate of the West
I bet you're from the Middle East. Same place your shit religion belongs.

ditching anti-biblical and flat out false doctrine? i guess we're guilty

If I still have doubts would my baptism be invalid?

I think it's the devil that's causing this. The miracles of the Church have convinced me but there is still a seed of doubt in my mind.

Is reciting the apostles creed with a seed of doubt in my mind considered lying (sin)?

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

You are seriously arguing that a single ambiguous verse gives the bishop of rome universal control of the church?

>this fag

>this fag

If you had a trinitarian baptism you're fine. Baptism does not save you.

you aren't saved by some water being sprinkled on you.
have faith in christ and his word, and do not be swayed by "miracles" for they are works of the devil to lead God's sheep astray into the hands of the whore of babylon

Reading comprehension and following a thread rather confusing for you cuk?

Not baptized yet. The Church makes you wait almost year to get baptized so I have time to foster faith with prayer, I guess.

I was brought up Evangelical and it turned me into a fervent atheist for over 10 years. Still recovering from that.

no, ditching the one true church as laid out by Jesus, which was and still is theirs by right

protestants think they've done something good, all they did for the next centuries was splitting more as the catholic church reformed to a point every argument against it is just nitpicking.

in the end all protestants ended up with was losing the one true church, being scattered like pebbles across the land and being responsible for such things as mormonism

pride is all that keeps protestants away from the catholic church nowadays.

>cuk
You follow the same desert religion blacks and Arabs follow. Pathetic.

This. Many of my inlaws are Protestant, and pride is definitely the root of their "faith". They can't let go of the idol they made out of their internal monologue.

Fuck off, Josh.

>(((Goldberg)))
Funny you post someone with a Jew surname, yet follow the teachings of Jesus, who was Jewish.

>The Church makes you wait almost year to get baptized

And that's why the church is screwed up.

All these "religions" catholic, protestant, Lutheran, Baptist....

As far as I am concerned you may as well be a Mormon.

The first church, the Orthodox Church, is where all Christians should go.

The rest are just social clubs.

>pride is all that keeps protestants away from the catholic church nowadays
What about heretical teaching? Do you know why the Protestant reformation happened? Do you know what Luther's intentions even were? It goes much deeper than "there only has to be one church" (which Jesus never said, and Peter never intended).

>Why doesn't the Catholic Church believe Jesus died for our sins?
>What of the Orthodox Church, are they also founded by Jesus? Or are they Schismatics? Only one party can be right.
>Why does the Catholic Church
>If the Pope is infallible and Jesus' vicar on Earth and he is divinely appointed, how do you explain the degeneracy and corruption many Popes have been involved in? One even going as far to say that he doesn't even Believe in God?
>Call no man but me father

If you would like me to elaborate on any of my questions, I'd be happy too.