Redpill me on the 4th Crusade...

Redpill me on the 4th Crusade. Why did the Pope sack Constantinople if the goal was to retake Jerusalem from the Muslims? What the FUCK was his problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Latins
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation_of_Constantine
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because the orhodox didn't believe it was right to have a war of Christendom and never actively supported the crusades

War, in their oppinion was a matter of state not if the church.

So they were just going to sit there and be indifferent and let Jerusalem, a city so holy to them, be lost forever unless their emperor changed his mind and tagged along with the Romans?

I don't understand fully, but the crusaders never got payment for the 4th crusade.

Sacking Constantinople was their response. After that, it was simply a slow death for the Byzantines, the sacking of constantinople in 1453 by the ottoman's was inevitable. And to be honest, the Ottomans were a lot more merciful to the inhabitants of the city than the crusaders. The crusaders just raped anything they saw, pillaged everything they could get their hands on.

Greece/Byzantium didn't pay dembts to Venetian merchants, so the Venetians used the crusaders as their debt collectors.

It was essentially one big fuck up from one end to the other. Dan Carlins hardcore history for sins depth. It had something to do with the initial force not being paid and the solution ended up being (after a number of other occurrences) to support the sacking of Constantinople.

>pope dindu nuffin

Seems to be a recurring theme for the Greeks.

No the Byzantine state had been at war with the Arabs for centuries it was simply an argument of church dogma about weather war aught to be sanctioned or even in the realm of topics the church should be involved in.

As a result of this philosophical difference the fourth crusaders (if I remember correctly). We're. It welcomed in Constantinople so they sacked that city for going against the will of god

The pope dindu nuffin and excommunicated those crusaders. Blame greedy enrico dandolo and most likely his (((financiers)))

What's the title of the Dan Carlin episode you're referring to? Google search didn't really narrow it down for me.

Something about byzantine dynastic struggles involved the crusaders, who didnt get paid for helping and went apeshit

How fucking uneducated are you? The Crusades were an idea of the Byzantine Emperor Alexios Komnenos to recover territory lost by the Seljuks.
The ACTUAL reason why the 4th Crusade targeted Constantinople is because it was hijacked by Venice.
Basically, the Crusaders owned Venice a lot of money for transporting them, and while in their debt they would work for Venice.
Meanwhile, the pretender Alexios IV was dumb enough to believe that if Venice were to take Constantinople, they would willingly give it to him, so he struck a deal.
Of course, this was merely a pretext for Venice. The Byzantine Empire was Venice's main trade antagonist and the Doge of Venice, Enrico Dandolo hayched the perfect plan to destroy and partition the Byzantine Empire. He used the Crusaders as the bulk of his forces, and Alexios IV's claim to the throne as a casus belli to attack. The Pope had very little to do with what happened in the Crusade, and at first condemned it, until he realized that the majority of the Catholics were happy with it.

Byzantine cucks didn't pay denbts

because crusade was made for economic reasons, not religious. c*nstantionople was very rich back then and europe was poor af

deus vulting underage trash won't accept this simple fact obviously

basically the crusader mob was fucking retarded and sacked anything they set their eyes on.

No money. Bankrupted Crusade

Also may I add, that the subhuman brutes that were the Crusaders respected nothing in the City, they desecrated the tombs of the Emperors, including Justinian's, Basill II's , even Constantine the Great's, they robbed the jewels and threw the bones out in the streets for the dogs to eat. They robbed Hagia Sophia of it's jewels, they burned the Bible, and got a whore to dance of the altar.
Try to think of THIS next time you try to claim that whites are better than niggers.

The Pope did not order the sack. He called a Crusade to capture Jerusalem. The Crusaders were supposed to land on Egypt and reach Jerusalem from there, and they organized under Enrico Dandolo, an extremely old and also blind doge of Venice.

After gathering, however, they realized that they lacked the logistical means to reach Egypt. Then a desposed Roman Emperor approached them and offered to pay them money, lend them the Roman navy, and also put the Orthodox Church under the Pope's authority; in return, the Crusaders would put him back in charge of the empire.

So they arrived Constantinople, entered it, and put the guy in charge of the country. The people didn't like him at all, however, and soon he was killed. But the Crusaders demanded from his successor to keep the now dead guy's promises. Not only had he not promised them anything, it turned out that the Roman treasuries lacked the money to pay the Crusaders.

Dandolo, partially motivated by the fact that he was blinded in Constantinople during a bar fight or some shit, ended up sacking the city. Numerous works of art, knowledge, and infrastructure were destroyed. The Roman Empire, which was preparing for another golden age due to the weakness of Muslim Anatolia, collapsed instead. Constantinople was re-captured by one of its successor states a few decades later, and it was revived; however it was so weakened by the Crusade it fell prey to the Ottomans a century or so later. Had it not been for le epic plus sign meme men, perhaps it still would have been around today. Thanks to them I am now a T*rk.

The Crusaders also completely forgot about Egypt, of course.

>I am now a T*rk

no you're not. you're one of the disgusting racemixed minorities we sadly have

>Thinks he himself is not a disgusting mongrel.

(((Venetians))) were able to leverage (((debnts))), the Great Schism and the massacre of the Latins to kill the Byzantine Empire.

We might still have a direct line to the Roman empire if it wasn't for this dark deed.

Based turk

>cockroach calling another cockroach a cockroach
heh

He got sick of the Ottomans invading n sheeeit and also before the Romans actually invaded Constantinople the first time it was nothing. The Romans turned it into a world-class city to begin with.

The Frankish Crusaders told the Venetians they'd need ships for 30,000 men, and then showed up with like half that number. The Venetians gambled their entire economy on constructing this gigantic fleet, and needed to make up for the other half of the payment that the Crusaders couldn't come up with, so they sacked Constantinople.

Unlikely, i think the roman empirw would have collapsed eventually before the modern age.
It might have lasted a couple of centuries more though

When you sack Constantinople juuust right.

Wtf. Why isn't this a bigger deal? This should be common knowledge.

>when you destroy the roman empire and open the way for muslim invasion into europe juuust right

nah, muh evil barbarian turks narrative is just better for (((business)))

The Ottomans didn't exist in the 13th century. It was seljuks and kwarezmian or however you spell it.

Winner writes history.
Like why dont people know about hitler?

Because it would make the wersterns look bad

Well yeah you`re right, I meant the Turks and their ancestors anyway.

Ottoman Empire survived until 20th century and would still be around if it was not for Kamal(pbuh).

Pay denbts

suck a dick

So much shit in the world today can be traced back to the 4th Crusade yet in the minds of most its nothing more than a fart in the wind. Wow.

you don't mention the latin massacre which makes the byzantines look bad too

the ultimate redpill is that the crusader's were undercover jew's

>that pic
>mission accomplished
Pic related.

Yeah but whats that got to do with rome

If I was a Greek I'd never support reconciliation. Do Greeks even care anymore about reconciliation? Do Greeks feel like everything that's happened in the last 200 years is a direct consequence of the crusade?

Really gets the old noggin joggin.

The Byzantines were arogant and disloyal to the Crusaders. In 1182 they had massacred the Catholic population in Constantinople even though the Crusaders had helped reclaim the Anatolian coasts from the Seljuks. The actual Byzantine/ Roman empire ended in 1204 when Boniface I and Enrico Dandolo had enough of the litteral Greek plays of the Byzantines and took that shit out.

Why are the Crusades seen different to any other conquest during the thousands of years of fighting between different factions on the European continent and the Middle East? Somehow the 4th Crusade in particular is to blame for eeeeverything that`s wrong with the world today? I don`t think so.

Also, they didn't sack it. They conquered it.

I am not saying that the byzantines were angels.
The latin massacre was a black page in the Bynantine history.

maybe the church of Andrew should have heed the words of Jesus and not rolepalying as the church of Peter

Remind me again how Christianity was good for Europe, it's culture and its integrity?

Protip: you can't

They sack it and then they conquered it.

>desecrated the tombs of the Emperors, sacked the palace, raped and murdered everyone they could get their hands on, got a whore to dance in the holiest place in the city
>"they didn't sack it"
kek

The pope didn't sack, the crusaders did. They were just men looking for riches, so they didn't really care about what city to sack. They ended up in Constantinople due to ((merchants)), so they sacked Constantinople. Simple as that.

Rome too could have survived. They would have expanded all the way towards Anatolia had it not been for the Fourth Crusade.

Lying barbarian. Dandolo tried to get involved in Roman politics. After he failed he sacked the city out of pure greed and hatred. His reasoning for the sack was how the Romans didn't keep the promises they made to him... but the emperor who promised him shit was forced upon the country by him, and overthrown later on.

Remind me who got blown the fuck in the middle ages

I just thank god i'm not German

>Also, they didn't sack it.

>The Latin soldiery subjected the greatest city in Europe to an indescribable sack. For three days they murdered, raped, looted and destroyed on a scale which even the ancient Vandals and Goths would have found unbelievable. Constantinople had become a veritable museum of ancient and Byzantine art, an emporium of such incredible wealth that the Latins were astounded at the riches they found. Though the Venetians had an appreciation for the art which they discovered (they were themselves semi-Byzantines) and saved much of it, the French and others destroyed indiscriminately, halting to refresh themselves with wine, violation of nuns, and murder of Orthodox clerics. The Crusaders vented their hatred for the Greeks most spectacularly in the desecration of the greatest Church in Christendom. They smashed the silver iconostasis, the icons and the holy books of Hagia Sophia, and seated upon the patriarchal throne a whore who sang coarse songs as they drank wine from the Church's holy vessels. The estrangement of East and West, which had proceeded over the centuries, culminated in the horrible massacre that accompanied the conquest of Constantinople. The Greeks were convinced that even the Turks, had they taken the city, would not have been as cruel as the Latin Christians. The defeat of Byzantium, already in a state of decline, accelerated political degeneration so that the Byzantines eventually became an easy prey to the Turks. The Fourth Crusade and the crusading movement generally thus resulted, ultimately, in the victory of Islam, a result which was of course the exact opposite of its original intention.[50][51]

Your grandparents still had a country and a culture. Then people stopped being Christian, and now you have ethnic food joints.

>implying that the papacy was not responsible for the schism

It was Venice not the pope. I'm pretty sure the pope was extremely pissed when he found out what happened.

>We are less religious than Britain
>We are still white
>We still have our culture
huh

Venetians.

the guys that control the jews.

maybe the church of Andrew should have answered to the church of Peter and Jesus intended.

You don't have as many rich Jews that's why m8

Because christfags are cuckolds and Jewish pawns.

>How fucking uneducated are you?
You're the fucking uneducated one, Alexios Komnenos just wanted mercenaries, the Crusades were the Pope's idea

>Why did the Pope sack Constantinople

how retarded do you have to be to conclude something like this or is this just american thing with history

eternal Venetians are to blame

Which one? Rome or Antioch?

>>We are less religious than Britain
You probably still value your culture, i.e. the Christian heritage. You don't need to believe in a god to have Christian values, Christian morals and Christian norms. Hundreds of millions of people are really Christian in all but name.

I thought the real problem was Charlemagne. He was crowned the Emperor of Romans, so the Emperor of Romans took exception to that. He was crowned by the pope though, that's true.

He sure didn't fucking mind when they started bringing him Anatolia back, did he?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Latins
DEM LATINZ WUZ GUD BOIS DEY DINDU NUFFIN

Why do you hate yourself? Anatolia was always ethnically mixed. It was never a single race that owned all of it. In addition to many native cultures like Hittites, Sumerians, Lydians it was subject to constant invasions including Ancient Egyptians, Phoneicians, Persians, and most notably the Greeks. The latter made a big point of "hellenizing" the place during the long stretch of the Ionian/Alexander/Roman times but it was similar to how Spain "hispanacized" Latin America. I.e. the genetics of the place stayed more or less original like how Mexicans look different from Spaniards.

By the time of the Seljuk conquest Anatolia was culturally Greek but genetically mixed. The Seljuk/Ottoman years and in particular the Ottoman implosion of the late-19/early-20th centuries took the gene mixing to the next level as the Slavic, Tatar, Circassian, Georgian, Albanian etc pro-Ottoman converted populations poured into Anatolia to escape persecution in their newly independents homelands.

Maybe an old man with a flaccid cock should not claim infallibility.

yeah he excommunicated them

Christianity gave what were otherwise savage pagans living in mud huts a culture and a common set of values that were the building blocks for society.

It's almost like multiculturalism is a bad idea. And has been for a thousand years. Who would've thunk?

The sieges that he had to watch over because the Crusaders were untrustworthy bastards?
Look up the history of the Crusades then start bitching and moaning you fuckhead

just pretending to be dumb?

How does this contradict what I said?

Yah and who is more open to loving thy neighbor and giving them the clothes off your back? Leftism is Christian slave morality made into a political ideology.

Pic related. Here is the pope in Anatolia a thousand years later licking nigger feet.

I guess it's then good that the commies ran our economy through the shitter.

Yeah, that's exactly your strategy Portubro
Daily reminder that the Catholics used forgeries to push their fallacious claims
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation_of_Constantine

because venetians are seaniggers, also their leader was blind

maybe the church of Andrew should have not grown prideful and gone against the words of Jesus
two wrongs did not make it right

It was an accident. Byzaboos fuck off.

so you're not pretending, you're just dumb

Oh, we're the prideful ones?
Remind me how "first among equals" means "primacy of the Pope"
Disprove me then faggot

>An accident

No burger.Breaking a glass is an accident.

Sacking the richest city in the world is not.

The pope condemned the sacking and that wasn't the intention. The fourth crusade was about going on to invading Egypt. A Byzantine nobleman offered financial aid and Byzantine military aid if they helped overthrow the Byzantine emperor and install him as the emperor. The siege went out of hand and ended up with the destruction of the city.
Seriously you guys keep saying >muh popish army raped a gorillion.
When it was the western knights who liberated most of Greek Anatolia from Turkish Seljuk occupation in the first crusade.

>Yah and who is more open to loving thy neighbor and giving them the clothes off your back? Leftism is Christian slave morality made into a political ideology.
Nietzsche had some good points, but I think he was wrong here. We are a social species. We are supposed to take care of our own. We need to have slave morals for our own family. Altruism is a force for good when practiced in moderation. And that is where the real problem lies, we've taken it way too far. Dindus and sand people are not our people, we are not supposed to take care of them.

That's a truly disgraceful picture by the way. I'm not even Catholic, but that's just pathetic. That cuck should be tossed in the Tiber.

pay debts

Published works have concluded it was sacked you broke fucktard. Fuck off.

I am sorry m8 but the words of Jesus was to claim you can do no wrong while you literally SELL forgiveness for money? Is it Jesus' word to burn people on the stake? Holy war?

Both are non believers so what's the problem?

Stop being mountain Jews first

This board is obsessed with racial purity. But when you are mixing historically potent peoples in Anatolia whether they be Greeks, Turks, Persians, Arabs, Caucasoids, or converted Slavs its not necessarily a bad thing to be "mixed".

Greeks weren't able to handle their country as they are today. So Western knights had to come to take over their country, other wise they would have never payed their debts.

/thread