What happened to Harvard?

Harvard now allows students to graduate with honors for making rap albums.
>The album, called "Liminal Minds," has earned the equivalent of an A-minus grade, good enough to guarantee that Shaw will graduate with honors next week.Shaw describes the 10-track album as a dark and moody take on what it means to be black in America.
>Rap and hip-hop have drawn growing interest from academia in recent years. Harvard established a fellowship for scholars of hip-hop in 2013, and other schools including the University of Arizona have started to offer minors in hip-hop studies.
>Clemson University announced in February that a doctoral student submitted a 34-track rap album as his dissertation, a first for the South Carolina university.
>Shaw plans to circulate the album online for free and hopes it opens doors to the music industry. In the meantime, he's headed to Seattle to work as a software engineer at Google.

Can't wait to see what this diversity hire does at Google. Keep in mind that his degree is in English (Ebonics), which somehow qualifies him to be a software engineer at Google.

Other urls found in this thread:

coed.com/2017/05/18/harvard-student-obasi-shaw-audio-submits-rap-album-english-department-thesis-university-college-senior-tracks-songs-hip-hop-social-justice/
linkedin.com/in/obasi-shaw-990297127
hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_RAP_THESIS
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Degrees have become worthless.

Ayo hol up missa dean see i gota dis fire mixtape rite hurr now i wuz thinkin i coold collects dem moneys for dems programs if i giv u dis.
Ya heard sum finna be one dem smart niggas so i can scratch all dat paper boii

Lol

>A-

Wow, what a bigoted and racist teacher to not give this young scholar the A+ that his rap album deserves. This is Harvard god dammit! We won't allow racism here!

I am hereby calling for this teachers dismissal immediately!

that's downright

R A R E
A R E
R E
E

Universities have been like this for years - an insider's club where people with (((connections))) go to rack up phony accolades. Maybe it's a good thing the door has finally been opened to blacks.

>A- equivalent

Harvard doesn't have grades.

Harvard's STEM is still top notch. This is all the other shit, where graduating means dick all.

He'll have his doctorate in ebonics or whatever the fuck, and all that happens is he's 100k in debt.

That's nothing. Allow me to read some of the masters theses that got approved at the liberal arts college at my university

>"The Legacy of the Fountain Pen in America"
>"Thank You for Your Candor: Examining Family Communication Patterns and Gender in the Post-Apocalyptic Film Divergent"
>"Queering the Princess Role: A Critical Cultural Analysis of Disney's Frozen"

>Implying he didn't have scholarship money fire hosed on him for being non-white.

>believes a (((Harvard))) degree is anything more than a ticket into the pedophilic (((ruling class)))

That's funny. I wasn't able to pursue an honors thesis when I was in college because my band was in the process of recording and mixing its first album. Didn't know I could've combined the two.

Well, his "degree" was in ebonics?

Isn't rap what ebonics is?

Wait, we're talking about the same Harvard, right? The 48% Jew undergrad Harvard? This isn't Histroically Harvard?

>"Queering the Princess Role: A Critical Cultural Analysis of Disney's Frozen"

An A for degenerecy.

>What happened to Harvard?
Nothing, this is what not-STEM looks like.

Now that's what I call

RARE
A
R
E

Please tell me the last line is fake. Please.

Which begs the question by Google hired him to be a software engineer.

What degree was he studying? I guarantee you it's worthless to begin with.

It really does
>Shaw made history, becoming the first person in the existence of Harvard University to submit a rap album as his senior thesis in the English Department.
coed.com/2017/05/18/harvard-student-obasi-shaw-audio-submits-rap-album-english-department-thesis-university-college-senior-tracks-songs-hip-hop-social-justice/

>Harvard University
>Bachelor of Arts (BA), English
linkedin.com/in/obasi-shaw-990297127

The more important question is what languages is he coding in? MUHFUGGA++?

nikka must be spittin pure fyre yo

ebonics or kangz

not real

Who cares, that degree isn't worth the paper it's written on

Ivy schools have turned into complete jokes in the past decade.

how the fuck can something get 'queered'

that is actually rare

Phony accolades is a good way to describe modern universities. I know some degrees are still real (STEM), but the rest are meaningless. And groids go for free, and live off stipends. It's not even a test of their tenacity, like it is for white students.

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_RAP_THESIS

>What it's like to be black in America

>Goes to Harvard

Oh, and I interviewed a niggress from Harvard once. She refused to do a coding challenge despite having her masters in a computing field. She just kept that niggress air of superiority and pooh pooh'd every question like it was beneath her.

Turned her down. I'm sure she's filling a diversity position somewhere now, making more than me.

>graduates from Harvard
>wants to be a rapper
Fucking niggers

Can't wait senpai.

It's a degree from Harvard, so that'll land him a job doing something somewhere.

Those are actually fine for thesis papers. The point is to show you can write a paper and argue your position well, not have the best subject ever.

>which somehow qualifies him to be a software engineer at Google.
Probably took a bunch of coding classes in minor positions. You'd be surprised how many English majors cross-discipline. English degrees also cost about 1/3rd of STEM degrees and let you pick a lot of non-english electives.

10 MuhGibs = INPUT "WHERE IS MUH GIBS, HONKY?"
20 IF MuhGibs = NoGibs THEN
30 CHIMPOUT
40 ELSE
50 If MuhGibs = ObongoGibs THEN
60 BITCHES AND CRACK Y'ALL
70 GOTO JAIL

This

moonman graduated in '86
Killing niggers ever since

Democratic presidential nominee in 15 years

You have a nice flag

I actually see nothing wrong with this.

If the content of the rap is unique, features an intricate rhyming scheme and delves into somewhat deep subject matter whilst maintaining a sense of academic content, then I honestly see no large issue with this. Especially if it's paired with an actual report which explains the lyrical content in depth, connects it with recurring themes of society, etc.

Illmatic by Nas, based on its content matter, elegant rhythmic scheme, flow and elaborate storytelling, could be a contender for a Bachelors thesis. I'm being 100% serious, too; not even trolling.

If hip hop is really taken to the fundamentals, then it's spoken word poetry and many poets have written a thesis demonstrating their skill. Recital of poetry is also quite popular.

I can get outraged by a lot of shit in academia (e.g., that black female mathematician who is batshit insane), but not this.

Completely false, famalam. But whatever makes you feel better.

Blacks are statistically least likely to enter college, to graduate and to earn top employment. Blacks are also statistically less likely to get lucrative scholarships on average.

Look up the stats. STEM black majors are at the lowest since the fucking 80s and there were only like 7 STEM majors back then, m8. Blacks are literally moving backwards in every field. They were better in the 70s, 80s and early/mid 90s.

I'm in my mid 30s and without a GED. Is this all that you have to do in order to pass Harvard of all places? I'm not sure if I want to bite the $10k annual tuition bullet in order to try my luck at posing as an SJW to see how much ridiculous shit i can get away with and simultaneously get credit for.

I think you and the rest of you are missing the point.

For him to graduate with Honors means that he has taken approximately ~120 credits without thesis credits and attained the equivalent of an A- GPA. I graduated with a 3.79, and I wrote a thesis (mine was in control theory), but I was going to graduate with Honors regardless of me writing a thesis or not.

A person doesn't just graduate with a 3.0, write a banging thesis and then gets "Hons." attached to their name.

"Have you finished your thesis, Obasi?"

"Nah, bitch- check out my mixtape."

>What happened to Harvard?

>A person doesn't just graduate with a 3.0, write a banging thesis and then gets "Hons." attached to their name
True, but a nigger does.

>For free
>Online

Where can I listen to this master piece?

THIS FLAG IS MINEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>In the opening song, “Declaration of Independence,” Shaw sings, with a haunting beat in the background, about the incidents of police violence against black men and finds fault in the whole system.

Composing like Beethoven, to the deaf, or just the hard of hearing —
Complacent faces, vacant breasts, bereft of all the feeling.
A nation due for inspection, this is the audit, herein
Lies the fear in the eyes of our departed dearly —
Cold bodies facing .22, man in blue.

>In the closing song, “Open Your Eyes,” Shaw strikes a more optimistic tone when he focuses on the progress gained by African-Americans with resilience, courage, and hope in their struggle for rights.

Just watch the thrones, our people are known
For making history of the impossible.
From rap to White House, we unstoppable.
Jumping Jim Crow to playing Oscar roles.

>thrones

WE

>Shaw was managing editor of the Harvard Ichthus, a journal of Christian faith produced by undergrads, and a member of the Christian group Harvard Faith and Action.

OBASI SHAW IS A DEGENERA-

NVM

CLOSE THREAD ... Sup Forums is hating on the good guy again

I can understand if it's for a degree in music, but software engineer?

Hopefully employers know about him and see he couldn't even do anything related to his field. Of course he'll be a diversity hire.

If those are for Liberal Arts or gender study degrees, what's the problem, besides them having no work with their degree?

Based Caltech

>English degrees also cost about 1/3rd of STEM degrees and let you pick a lot of non-english electives.

Where do you get that, or is it graduate degrees you're talking about? It's usually $5,000 a quarter for 8 or more credits.

Even Mormons are closer to true Christianity than black churches.

His degree is in English. It's a bit of a mystery why Google hired him as a software engineer other than diversity points. Guess all of those "Silicon Valley Diversity Scorecard" reports got to them.

Any monkey can code
>what managers really believe.