My brother work(ed) as a salaried truck driver for a delivery company

My brother work(ed) as a salaried truck driver for a delivery company.

Yesterday (Friday) when he went into work the company had blocked off all the entries for the trucks and announced that all their positions were no longer needed. After that they announced that if any of the truck drivers want to come and work as sub-contractors they can walk in and discuss things with management in order to continue working there.

The company basically wants to re-hire all the drivers as sub-contractors so they don't have to pay all the added extras/fees/insurance/retirement that comes along with having a full time salaried driver, effectively giving them all a huge pay-cut and making all the drivers responsible for their own insurance/retirement etc.

Is this actually legal?

And people say there is no longer a place for unions. Exhibit A.

This contract shit is everywhere in Ohio.

A union would be useless when this company could (and will) just hire less qualified individuals for less pay and less liability.

All employees fall under the collective agreement. Not for less pay.

Yeah, here in Burgerland bosses will schedule people for like 34hrs a week because at 36 (I think) they are full-time and require certain benefits.

happened to me when i drove forklifts and turrets in a warehouse , fucking dog cunts .

Are you positive about the lower pay? Hell, your brother should be able to negotiate higher pay as a self employed entity.

hello fellow master race

pretty sure it's legal, to an extent

my old mans an engineer and just went through a very similar thing

they can't sack for no reason though.
if they say it's because there is no work (the job is no longer needed) the worker is entitled to a severance pay

but if they say there is no longer work available, why are they rehiring staff at less?

i would get your brother to find out why they're firing everyone, then seek legal advice.
he should definitely be entitled to severance pay if he was employed full time

No, they'll just hire someone else, even someone with less experience.

Well, Ohio has laws that allow them to fire anyone at anytime, unless you make a particular agreement with the employer (At-Will Employment).

It makes me wonder, what do the desk/office workers at these kinds of companies think when they see an entire department of their company get cucked like this? Do they feel bad at all or do they all laugh and talk about how intelligent they're and that it's the other workers fault for not working a white collar job like them?

all good and well, but OP is an Aussie, as am I

the law, as you can imagine, would be very different

If you say so. Most businesses don't find it a good long term strategy to hire unqualified morons for a quarter less than skilled people.

unions dont work if you can hire illegals you retard.

Ahh, sorry.. saw Ohio right below and incorrectly made the association.

>it's the other workers fault for not working a white collar job like them?

more than likely

it's their job to 'run' the business, if they can save the business money and drive profits up, it will appear they are doing a 'good job'
basically a lack of empathy and a greed for money/power/promotions/flashy cars/boats/girls with fake tits

Nigga, if you can't put that on a spreadsheet and show it at your next meeting with your boss it doesn't mean shit in most large businesses. If you can show them that you're saving them money it's all bonuses and prostitutes. In 3 years when things start to fall apart a bit you'll have that guy's job and shit on the guy working below you for not being able to handle it. It's the American way.

The short answer is likely no, but it's not of much use unless he wants to seek independent legal advice. How much it's worth is a question, and a workplace lawyer will be able to tell him prior to actually opening a file.

If he's in Sydney, send him to carrol and o'dea. MB and Slater have good people in them but they are very inconsistent.

>Muh free market
>Wahhh I'm screwed by the system

My dad experienced this a few years ago. Worked office stuff for a manufacturing business. Blue collars get laid off, white collars stay on. He felt like shit about it, but he couldn't/didn't want to do anything because he needed the job and the pay was still good (nothing really changed for him).

Believe it or not most of these people do have souls, but they keep their head down because they don't want to be next.

Fucking leaf

Shut up burger

All your talk online don't mean shit

even have a meeting with the Fair Work Ombudsman.

it's free, and you will recieve all the legal advice you need to decide whether or not to persue it further

>It makes me wonder, what do the desk/office workers at these kinds of companies think when they see an entire department of their company get cucked like this?

Two reactions: for the people with higher employability, they update their resumes and start hunting for new work. For the less confident, they worry that they're next and do their best to seem compliant. Nobody gloats, it's always silence of the lambs territory when large scale redundancies happen.

The vast majority of white collar workers are normal people trying to earn a living like blue collar workers. They don't see themselves as above anyone else because they're just as likely to get shit on by management as anyone else.

All your talk online don't mean shit leaf...

Ok

Unions are almost just as corrupt now. They started hiring unskilled foreign foreign workers just for the sake of making more money through union dues. When we go to vote on something, and for say vote against it, they just come up with a new agreement and skip the vote anyways.

Unions are not what they used to be

Eh what? You know what? We can do this... Give me an address and I'll meet you. I'm right next to my pieces bitch

Answer - Yes, they can probably do it.
Benefits - The contractors should negotiate increased pay and the former employer can NO LONGER dictate how the job is done (i.e performance at this time between these hours, etc). If they dictate hours, etc, then they've got employees again.

Yea but you're still competing against pond jumping hard hat fillers who are completely lost when they arrive to any site and have to be babysat all day instead of productive workers

>Answer - Yes, they can probably do it.

You come up with this answer with the knowledge that OP lives in Australia which has a completely different workplaces relations situation to any US State?

>asking pol for legal advice
find yourself a nice jewish lawyer and quit bothering us

Give me a fucking address motherfucker

master race reporting! ancestors have farmed the land beneath my feet for 200 years.

WE
WUZ
KANGZ

Give us a company name, son. Ill see of I can get an outrage machine going. This isnt about your brothers business anymore. If we sink this business in retaliation for doing this other businesses will toe the line.