Do states have the legal right to secede?

Do states have the legal right to secede?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_overruled_United_States_Supreme_Court_decisions
youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

legally no

legally only Texas as far as I know of!

>citation needed
inb4 Texas v White

In the secret debates of the Federal Convention of 1787 it was argued that only the consensus of all the states should dissolve the union and that no minority of states should be able to dissolve it. This was significant because at the time several states were opposing the idea of a union, particularly in preference to the Virginia plan, but those states did indeed ultimately sign the Constitution.

The Supreme Court ruled in 1845 that all states were bound by the terms of the Constitution and this implied their subjection to Congress.

Article V of the Constitution allows any convention of states to ammend the Constitution in any way with a majority of 3/4ths. This means that 3/4ths of the states constitute a quorum to dissolve the Union (or alter it in any way they choose) by right and by law.
Hope that answers the question.

>In the secret debates of the Federal Convention of 1787 it was argued that only the consensus of all the states should dissolve the union and that no minority of states should be able to dissolve it.
That is not the US Constitution

only texas has the legal power to potentially

Read the rest of his post.

No state has the power to break from the US. last time that happened we ended up killing 1/3 of the male populace

Where in the constitution does it say a state cannot leave?

Only with the consent of congress

Because the North chose to go to war over it

also know as never

Fuck legality

No legal right to secede. That's the basis for the civil war, and it hasn't changed since.

I'd support you though, I would love for the north and south to be separate, so the modern financial might of the north and west can stop carrying the retrograde retards that we drag around as dead weight. You can be free to impregnate your sisters and cousins (as long as they are white, of course) and stay on your side dying without healthcare and making $2 an hour once you figure out that closing the borders and alienating a globalized world doesn't work. 50 years from now you'd essentially be what Cuba is today.

Nice little buffer between the North and Central America too. I'll stay over here with the rest of us 'over educated' sons of migrants, making $20+ per hour doing cushy jobs, living in big houses and worried about buying the next expensive gadget and DVR our favorite shows, while you sit in obesity and heat unable to afford A/C, suffering of simple curable deceases, convinced that god meant for you to have it all and favors you for the color of your skin, meanwhile you can't even get a girlfriend, not even a white trash low-class POS like yourself.

The civil war proved many things. One of course being that states could leave if they wanted. It also proved that they better have enough firepower to hold whatever they are taking.

Southerners may not like hearing this, but the war started because they took over US military bases and would not give them back. You can't take US property and expect not to fight.

Texas already seceded. It was part of the CSA

Oh. In that case, read Texas v. White

Yes.
When the government becomes immoral and corrupt it is the DUTY of every citizen to over throw that government.

20 an hour lol. Youre poor.

American Civil War is the easiest topic for a D&C

> citation needed
> but don't use the proof that refutes me

Is OK considered "South West"?

You mean where they had to go back and cite the Articles of Confederation
I was acknowledging that the Court already said you cant
I just dont believe they are infallible

I'd call them the "frontier strip" but honestly there aren't any region names nailed down yet.

Yeah. You could even argue that their opinion is bullshit but, unlike your opinion, theirs is binding. So legally, a state cannot decide to unilaterally secede. Of course, that ruling can be circumvented by a Constitutional convention. That was the point made here

No. There is no provision for this in the Constitution. Legal arguments for secession did not hold up in the 19th Century.

>The civil war proved many things. One of course being that states could leave if they wanted.
The Civil War did not settle if they could legally secede or not
If they did leave the Union would still be able to invade a foreign country for whatever reason they want

>theirs is binding.
muh precedent
The Supreme Court is a joke

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_overruled_United_States_Supreme_Court_decisions

>The Civil War did not settle if they could legally secede or not
Yes it did. Who cares about US law. They left and formed their own country. It happened. Sure they went to war with US and lost, but they were two countries, two flags.

I'm not even sure what percentage of "southerners" are related to confederates. So much moving around from north to south and vice versa since then plus legal immigrants.

Yes, it is a right guaranteed by the Second Amendment

Texas does not have the right to secede.

TFW niggers cost you the lives of countless good white men on both sides of a conflict.

>There is no provision for this in the Constitution
What is the 10th amendment

>overruled supreme court decisions by a subsequent supreme court decision

>Muh Supreme Court is a joke
>Cites the powers of the Supreme Court as evidence of this

Try harder. You know my previous post was correct.

If Texas wants to succeed then they couldn't hold any US military assets without provoking war, same as last time.

This of course is a major quagmire because they have no chance of independence without stealing those assets.
Of course the point is a joke, because if with those assets Mexico would still win and take back the territory without US involvement.

YES
THE NORTH ARE A BUNCH OF TERRORISTS THATS WHY THEY USE LIES LIKE MUH SLAVERY AND BLACKS AND OPPRESSION

AND OTHER BULL SHIT
yes this and also the people are included as part of any law making, if we dont agree the state cant back stab someone. federal.

600,000 people died in the civil war. That was not 1/3 of the male population in any sense.

>When a state joins the Union it agrees to abide by the Constitution
>this establishes the Constitution as the "supreme law of the land" in the state
>secession, either through independence or through joining another nation, would establish another government as supreme law of the land in the state
>this would be in conflict with the Constitution unless the Constitution was first changed either to remove the supremacy clause or to alter it to not apply in a particular state or states
>as such states in the Union can only legally secede through Constitutional amendment, not unilaterally
>nothing prohibits a state from leaving the Union without seceding
>US lands not held by states are considered US territories and governed by Congress under the property clause
>The property clause allows Congress to unilaterally decide how much "if any" of the Constitution applies in a particular territory or territories
>Congress could grant a territory its independence or establish for it the means to grant its own independence, but the territory could only act under the will of Congress until then
Yes, states have the legal right to secede, through Constitutional amendment or through first leaving the Union and then being granted their independence by Congress.

Anything else is either going to violate the supremacy clause by placing another law as supreme in the land or the property clause by denying Congress its power over federal property. Nobody has a legal right to violate the Constitution.

ok another bullshit NORTHERN LIE

There IS NO USA ARMY

that IS A CORPORATION yo8u are speakingi ABOUT and any one can have WEAPONS look at the 2nd AMENDMENT FUCKING SHILL

JEW SHIT SHILL

The idea of precedent is a Supreme Court ruling is suppose to be the final say
If they cant take it seriously and overturn it then why should anyone else

THERE ARE NO SUPREMACY CLAUSES BUT MADE MY SUPREMACISTS
and there isnt one in the consituttion. if you look at the BULLSHIT ETH NORTH DONE YOULL FIND WHAT COCK SMOKEING FAGGOT HERE IS SAYING

That argument did not hold up in the 19th Century.

"If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede."
-Antonin Scalia

>What is the 10th amendment
Irrelevant because that Constitution already gives its range and authority and the means to change either in its text thus precluding secession (something that fundamentally alters either a government's range and/or authority) from being a state power.

They cited the Articles of Confederation in Texas v White
The Supreme Court does not give two shits about the Constitution

any of you FAGGOTS want to debate me on this one? faggots didnt think so, your a bun ch of fucking punksThis is a godamn lie nothing was ever resolved

this is more NORTHERN PROPOGANDA TODAY IN THE GODAMN YEAR OF OUR EMPORER DONALD J TRUMP

the CIVIL WAR never resolved SHIT YOU LYING BITCH

If it was resolved by the Civil War then what was Texas v White for?

Where in the Constitution does it preclude secession?

Scalia was fucking retarded.

The dude argued that precedent of at least a generation was in and of itself rational basis for the continued existence of a law.

The part where it limits what could alter the supremacy clause to Constitutional Amendment and limits authority over US territories to Congress.

FUCK THIS GODMAN FUCKING TOPIC
I KNOW THE STATES HAV EA RIGHT TO SUCEED, THESE STUPID SONS OF BITCHES WONT ANSWER ANYTHING CONSTITUTIONALLY

FORGET THIS TOPIC
LET THEMN BLAH BLAH ANYONE LEFT IN IT, IS A FUCKING SHILL

>ALSO I KNOW THERS AN ANSWER BUT GO DO WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO DO.
USE JEWGLE TYPE IN "states secede constitution" TO FIND THE ANSWER THEYRE BITCHING ABOUT BUT YOU WILL SEE THE PROPOGANDA JEWGLE AHS PUT OUT FOR YOU INSTEAD OF REAL ANSWERS.

If you support "states rights" you support Aztlan.

States are not territories

yes states have a right to sucede, the north are terrorists

one BIG FUCKING QUEESTION TO ASK IF THYE DONT
WHAT ABOUT HTE BILL OF RIGHTS?

Right. But they can become territories under the 10th Amendment in order to leave the Union.

It's just leaving the Union and leaving the country aren't the same thing.

I never said states were territories. I brought up territories in reference to one of the two legal ways a region could leave the United States.

The Philippines did that shit.

here guys exactly what th ejews want u to believe
dont believe me?>

go do exactly the search i told you
theyre pushing theis propoganda nd using a search engine to pretend its real

they really beleive their shit this thread is literaly northern propogand with no real information by shills akahow stupiod is this
>Right. But they can become territories under the 10th Amendment in order to leave the Union.
no the 10th amendment was made before the civil WAR GODAMN YOU

theese people are SO STUPID you can wait for DUMB SHIT TO COME ALONG

>proud member of the 2/3 confederate non slaveholding whites, drunk off his ass in his natural habitat

>no the 10th amendment was made before the civil WAR GODAMN YOU
So was the 1st amendment. What does that have to do with anything? The 10th amendment doesn't give a state any power to secede.

You still have not shown me where in the Constitution it says a state cannot legally leave

its called states and its called a union becuae its the united states of america not the UNIOn FUCK YOU
its AMERICA NIGGER

what's to stop them

shut ur GODAMN NIGGER MOUTH

>The 10th amendment doesn't give a state any power to secede.
Yes it does because nowhere in the constitution it says they cant

yea what makes some godamn paper think it can tella grupo of states what to DO?
the point IS IS THE BILL OF RIGHTS

withotu ti FUCK THE BULL SHIT

>You still have not shown me where in the Constitution it says a state cannot legally leave

>This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land
How are you gonna leave the United States while the Constitution is still the supreme law of the land you're in?

Alternatively, how are you going to change the supremacy clause that says the Constitution is the supreme law of the land you're living on without a Constitutional amendment?

If you can answer either question, you win a prize.

THERES NO REASON WE SHOULDNT BE SEPERATE STATES
>NONE AT ALL

Yes, but only if done by a constitutional amendment.

Once you leave you are no longer in the Union and the constitution no longer applies

>burn

BURN

>$20 an hour

abject poorfag

You're confused m8. The Union is not the entirety of the country. Things outside of the Union are still territories and at that point whether or not the Constitution applies is decided by CONGRESS, not your former state.

>whjyu should it stay togeder for?
so what? so you can love dem nigggers or something like that and gibs them theyre reparations and sheeit and do some speak and spell so they can be smarter as whiytees or some other stupid shti?????????
??
this is this topic guys, THIS IS FUCKING STUPID
yuou guys are retarded, who think this and shit that the states cant succeed from THE UNION which is only the name of an agreement.
fuck you.

oh wait
READ WHWAT THIS FUCKING NIGGER= SAID
YUR FORMER STATE
THATS RIGHT AFTER THE CIVIL WAR YOU DONT HAVE A STATE AS IN A REAL ONE

THIS FUCKING NIGGER WONT ANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION ABOUT SUCEEDE OR NOT.
CAUE THEY CANT ANSWER ME PECES OF SHIT

thats also why theselittle niggers talk ALL this shit.
what type of dumb ass shit topic is THIS?
tHEYRE REAL POINT IS A SHILL SEARCH ENGINE WHICH ISNT AND IS A SPAM BOT
JEWGLE>the shit story
the REAL STORY

>The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State

And where does it say states belong to the United States

>New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union
States belong to the Union
>The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.
The Union of States belongs to the United States

Remember the point of the document is to
>form a more perfect Union

TO MAKE THE UNITED STATES SEEM THAT THEY ARE RACISTS AGAINST THEYRE TERRORITORIES OR ANY PARTICULAR STATE BEING IN VOLVED WITH THIS SAME STATEMENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
territories like britain teritories, thin k of them
cuba, puerto rico, virgin islands. what country are they?

They are in the Union
They are not property of it

dont talk to them this is bullshit theyll make up anything
debate me FAGGOT
>

see, FAGGOT, you changed the name from AMERICA to
>union
FUCKING FAGGOT

Semantics. You said belong to. I took that to mean member of.

The point is that states are in the Union and the Union is in the USA.

You leave the Union, you're still in the USA. Territories clause applies. You try to leave the USA and the Union at the same time, and you run into the issue where unlike with properties where the Constitution may not apply in full depending on what Congress decides, it does apply in full in the Union, and the Constitution says the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

>america
FAGGOT

ONLY Texas

union is the name of a bunch of people who made an agreement

like t he internet is just the name of a palce for people to do free speech

NOT ANOTHER COUNTRY FOR YU JEWS TO LEACH AND SUCK BLOOD OFF OF

Yes it fucking does either my dad was lying to me all his life or you're a nigger.

>ONLY SAYS JEWGLE PROPOGANDA
>WONT DEBATE
>SUCKS BAGS OF COCKS

>You said belong to.
The Constitution says property belonging to
>You leave the Union, you're still in the USA.
Why would a state leaving the Union magically become territory?

UYOUR A FUCKING FAGGOT EVERY STATE HAS TEH RIGHT TO SUCEDE IN THE CONSITUTION AND BILL OF RIGHTS. THERE ISNT A CONSUTITION WITHOUT A BILL OF'
RIGHTS

SO THESE FAGGOTS DONT CAREA BOUT LAWS THEY CARE ABOUT SOME DEFINITION OF SOME WORD OF AGREEMENT PEOPLE MADE

SHOOT ALL THE JEWS

You need to off yourself you incoherent rambling duck turd.

I HATE THESE STUPID TOPICS
THEY COME IN TALKING TO EACH OTHER
NOT VERY SMAART FOUND THEIR ploy ON >JEWGLE

all fags
>debate me bitches