Christianity and Buddhism

I haven't heard much of a history of, nor a current state of conflict with Christianity and Buddhism.

Is it possible to form an alliance with the two against the Arabic pestilence?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_characteristics_of_the_Buddha
youtu.be/xY0Ib3aPG6Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Christ and Buddha were both chill.
I think they were getting at the same thing.

It sure is.

Christianity, especially orthodox christianity shares many key aspects with buddhism. Look how orthodox monks life, how they practice their faith and compare it to what buddhist monks do. It´s basically the same.

Buddhism is a religion that's meant to brainwash the masses into accepting the unchangeable status quo.

Christianity is a religion that's meant to inspire the masses to organize into revolutionary cells in an occupied state.

izvini ante al nemas pojma od cemo pricas.

Jesus and Buddha both knew God on a personal level.
>yfw Varg's children marry French soldiers who become crusaders and he does a 180 on Christianity and declares himself duke regent of Normandy

And both are being persecuted by Muslims abroad. I suspect new bedfellows may arise.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever backing that up?
>organized cells
Name one mainstream religion that is 100% solitary.

>heil odin...

>Jesus and Buddha both knew God on a personal level.
Jesus is God, you filthy street shitter. And Buddha is burning in Hell as I type this.

sometimes i forget why the world considers americans as barbarians.
thanks for reminding me.

You'd definitely enjoy reading GK Chesterton's view on Buddhism laid down on his book "Orthodoxy".

I believe there's a free audiobook available. Enjoy.

>Buddha is burning in Hell

For what, exactly? He never killed anyone or claimed anything about the existence or non-existence of God or a soul

and you shouldn't use google translate. the whole point of budhism is meant for one to become an "observer", something like when you spectate an EU4 game. while christianity is all about the truth above everything else.

Buddhists and Hindus are practically Muslim tier tbqh.

Then he's in the outer circle.

Why does Buddha have Chinese eyes when he is a blue eyed Aryan?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_characteristics_of_the_Buddha
>The 32 Signs of a Great Man
>Eyes deep blue

Mormonism. To the extent that they want to build a space ship to fuck off on their own, and actually follow measures to ensure they can do this.

>Buddhism is a religion that's meant to brainwash the masses into accepting the unchangeable status quo.
you have not got a clue what you're talking about

the CENTRAL teaching of Buddhism is that everything is impermanent

He lived 500 years before Jesus and even if it was 500 years after, there's no chance the Gospel reached his corner of the world by then.

Buddha came to his Nirvana thru prolonged suffering in a cruel world. Since he sat under that date tree the world is still cruel and the CENTRAL path to Nirvana is thru prolonged suffering and finding contentment in it.

The guy is right, but you won't find it taught in books about Buddhism. You need to infer it from his teachings and what he hoped his teachings would achieve for his people.

Don"t drag them into your shit tier holy war. Budda wants none of this.

Please go and find out more about Buddhism. You must.

no I don't. the human mind can only stretch so far within reasonable limits. It always retracts back to sanity at the same tension points. I've heard enough and read enough about all religions. There is nothing beyond what I said relevant.

The guy saw a rabbit immolate itself for him to sustain himself, when other animals could have done it better or more efficient but wouldn't. He found profound knowledge had been taught to him from a base born animal. Self sacrifice for the greater good can produce the good you need. That all relates back to accepting the world for its cruelty and working within it to ascent the cruelty. The quickest and truest way to that ideal is to suffer but accept that its relative to you.

Its still all suffering and cruelty and the need to accept it to transcend it. I think I've got the basics bruh.

>No chance the gospel reach there
You're wrong.

The apostle Thomas brought Christianity to India shortly after Jesus died.

Christianity has no room for understanding karma. Buddhism is another way of studying karma, the interaction and reification of souls transgression through the universe and universal consciousness. The messages of Jesus are just too plebian to be compared to those of the 9th avatar of Vishnu.

Buddhists are heathens, but there are worse heathens out there.

It wasn't a date, it was a banyan, and you should go there. Tree is still alive. He came to nirvana through understanding the universe, which required both the asceticism of a monk as well as the excess wealth of a kshatriya prince. Moksha, nirvana, enlightenment, etc. are the result of understanding the cosmic dharma, and guiding your own soul and those around you in a dharmic way.

who /Christian Buddhist/ here?

>tfw Jesus and Buddha are chilling in Japan

Nope. We don't like Buddhism just like how we don't like Islam. But we respect them as fellow human beings.

The post to sum up why Christian fundamentalists are ISIS tier and the Christcuck normies are faggots beyond redemption.

You are a nincompoop.

That doesn't exist burger. You have to choose.

if he was nestorian you could be both

That alliance has to be within yourself. You should look at youtu.be/xY0Ib3aPG6Y

I'm atheist Christian, is that close enough

The Buddha was an athiest. Buddhism is very nihilistic.

the world is not cruel. our understanding of it is mistaken, which is why it appears cruel

"The universe is hostile only when you do not know its laws. To those who know and obey, the universe is friendly."
- Werner von Braun

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

I also heard that in early christianity, teachings of rebirth wasn't uncommon

it would necessitate a living example of christ buddha

>Buddhism is very nihilistic.
wrong

Buddhism is the exact middle ground between the two extremes of nihilism and eternalism

Buddhism is strictly non-wordly religion. It is not about politics. Though, ofcourse we are in the same boat against that kind of people who think they have the moral right to oppress us, because of our religion.

t. Studied Buddology in institute and then converted from christianity.

for almost 2 thousand years before Christ the idea of "an eye for an eye" prevailed in the Middle East from Hammurabi's code in 1750 BCE, till this day that philosophy is deeply embedded. It took the ideas of love, compassion, acceptance of evil in the world from the East to be fused with Judaism that brought us Christianity, thats where Buddhism fits in

they are compatible, so no reason for conflict

>I haven't heard much of a history of, nor a current state of conflict with Christianity and Buddhism.
>Is it possible to form an alliance with the two against the Arabic pestilence?

You basically described Central Asia under the Mongols

so to find it not cruel I have to "obey" its laws instead of understanding its failings and working within it to transcend it. Sounds like a way to cage the soul m8.

Its the human mind that finds beauty in reality, not that reality is inherently beautiful. We strive to find it orderly and planned, even the suffering, we find it to be a challenge and something to learn from it. Reality doesn't care that you learn, it just is.

To a buddhist the Spartans killing their undesirable babies would be something the now dead child should have contemplated on and learned to respect, due to their death their limited nation state will POSSIBLY prosper that tiny bit more. But they can't, because its not possible for them. Only the adults who are knowledgeable about it can muse on it and come to that conclusion, not because reality gently pushed them to that conclusion, but because they had to push AGAINST reality to make something better.

No, you really can't. Christianity and Buddhism are only similar on a superficial level. If you go deep, they are dramatically different and exclude each other.

I know because I practiced both for over ten years and it led to a serious life crisis trying to unify both contradicting truths. Far bigger difference than between Christianity and atheism.

How funny of someone to say this who literally had thousands of slaves and of which at least hundreds died.

But I guess the rule of the universe is that if you are an important enough Nazis, the US boys will not bring you to Nuremberg and instead let you build a moon rocket.

It wouldn't happen so much if Indians had embraced Buddhism. Pic related.
I'm quite skeptical of that claim.

wouldn't be so sure of that

Karma is not so simplistic. Karma is like dirt, it simply exists in the world and as you live, it clings to you and colors your soul. To become free of karma is to understand the way of dharma, and to be one with the universal soul and understand the karmic colors it paints in, and in so doing you become free of karma and see the world in the splendor of the universal dharma.

I'm a Christian/Buddhist

Obviously I think the two are quite compatible with one another.. of course I'm a little bit Gnostic so that helps merge the two, since believing that Christ found enlightenment and we are all children of God, capable of performing many of the miracles Christ did if we ever became pure enough in spirit and trusting enough in the divine. Both religions strongly emphasize compassion, both are very moral and philosophical at heart.. I think the two have a lot more in common than is apparent at face value

There are no failings from the side of 'reality'. It is only our confusion which creates the appearance of imperfection

suffering exists. but it's cause is something impermenent. otherwise there would be no buddhist patg

Oh fuck I did not mean to post that lol

It's all lie, the Universe is infinite. All boundaries are purely subjective. Go get lost somewhere.

I'll bite. The Amish

i will read it

both of you need to stop smoking so much weed and actually study buddhism properly

Buddhism does not support the concept of a soul, in the normal sense

Very telling how they tried to brand HIM as a terrorist and evil sadist.

>GK Chesterton
post it again, it loked hot as shit pol is nsfw anyway

I'm gonna assume you meant buddhist path. You are supposing because a thing exists it needs to exist by writ. That simply isn't true. Its our morality that finds meaning in the chaos, not that the chaos is attempting to teach us something.

Again, I'm not saying Buddhism is wrong in its assumptions entirely, its just foolhardy to seek a meaningful message from every action or inaction. To seek for it in all things is to desire it in all things. It leads down a rabbit hole that will more often than not completely derail most people from achieving Nirvana.

I wonder if Trayvon Martin was contemplating on the lesson he can learn from the bullet barreling into his skull as it happened. If buddhism is a reflection of realities will then all beings should be able to recognize it inherently, being a part within the whole and the whole at once. In light of that, I highly doubt his thoughts went anywhere beyond 'muh skittles'.

Yeah, instead of a soul with innate good/bad programmed in it assumes that all beings are capable of nurturing themselves into beings capable of finding oneness. More than 1 actual buddha recognized by buddhism would pop up. Face it. Siddhartha led a garbage life of excess, rejected it out of his own morality, then spent his years reflecting on why he was like that in the first place. Then accepted it was his fate to die like all other things and died. He had an emo-esque midlife crisis and a faith was built off it. All because India was that shitty, even as it is today.

>More than 1 actual buddha recognized by buddhism would pop up
I'm not sure what you're tryng to say. There are countless Buddhas

Then why do we only hear about Siddhartha Guatama? I don't know about yuroop but in the states any time any contemporary buddha is brought up in literature or something there is always that tinge of doubt about his authenticity. But that only applies to the ones claiming it while still living. Based on that I thought there was an unspoken rule of shooting down the possibility of other buddha.

Do they all teach the same lessons or do they have their own views on achieving enlightenment?

>Then why do we only hear about Siddhartha Guatama?
because you haven't studied buddhism properly

all buddhas are manifestations of the same promordial enlightenment, but they teach in different ways according to the capacities of the beings in the world at the time

Fug thats gud

Japanese Buddhists slaughtered Christian missionaries and their converts by the bushel.

Wow so they are exactly as efficient or inefficient as their success dictates. Interesting that there is such a perfect no accountability clause built right in to being a divine being of primordial enlightenment.

So in our modern times, lets just take the last 10 years for instance, how many people would you assume reached Nirvana? your answer doesn't matter, "as many reached it as their capacities at the time could afford." No matter how few, how many, your answer will always be "the right amount".

What about the ones that don't reach enlightenment, what about those that died without even knowing of the CONCEPT of it?

Its all a morality lesson that has been blown way out of proportion to what its aim was. Similar to christianity and all other religions that get so big and complex.

catholicism outright renounced buddhism as part of their all roads strategy, but thats about all I know of conflict for it and christ

this was not a religious decision but the decree of the dymio

> Chinese eyes
That's just because Asian artists makes their statues looking like them; for the same reason white people represent Jesus having blue eyes and blond hair...
Real Buddha probably looked like a modern Indian and was not obese.

>I'm a little bit gnostic
have you read the very soil?
madoka magica marries the two faiths in both their stories

I don't even know what you're trying to communicate desu

If you;re actually interested in a debate, I'd recommend understanding the four noble truth before you worry about the metaphysics

I'm not really debating man, I'm just conversing while I watch star trek. The only stuff I've read about buddha beyond popular knowledge is the manga series "Buddha" by Osamu Tezuka.

In the end, Buddhism is exactly what each person needs when they need it. It changes for each individual depending on what that person is seeking for. Whatever they are seeking, in whatever manner, there will be a wishy washy teaching about how to find it. But in the end its down the the individual to find it. That takes the power out of the cosmic realm and into ours. It is us that creates our own happiness. It is us that creates our own sorrow.

One person may find revulsion in death, one may find beauty in it. But they both find exactly what they need to find in it. Apply it to all aspects of your life and BAM! you've found all religions, married and divorced at once.

Sorry if you thought I was having a scholarly debate with you, but I was just conversing. I generally tend not to take anything on pol with much weight, as a rule. But maybe thats where you find the most weighty ideals, so you've got me musing on it more than I thought I would.

Its better than arguing about traps and niggers thats for sure.