Scientists Identify 52 Genes Tied to Intelligence

nature.com/ng/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ng.3869.html

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/05/22/science/52-genes-human-intelligence.html?_r=0
mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/opinion/sunday/the-difference-between-rationality-and-intelligence.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Intelligence is associated with important economic and health-related life outcomes1. Despite intelligence having substantial heritability2 (0.54) and a confirmed polygenic nature, initial genetic studies were mostly underpowered3, 4, 5. Here we report a meta-analysis for intelligence of 78,308 individuals. We identify 336 associated SNPs (METAL P < 5 × 10−8) in 18 genomic loci, of which 15 are new. Around half of the SNPs are located inside a gene, implicating 22 genes, of which 11 are new findings. Gene-based analyses identified an additional 30 genes (MAGMA P < 2.73 × 10−6), of which all but one had not been implicated previously. We show that the identified genes are predominantly expressed in brain tissue, and pathway analysis indicates the involvement of genes regulating cell development (MAGMA competitive P = 3.5 × 10−6). Despite the well-known difference in twin-based heratiblity2 for intelligence in childhood (0.45) and adulthood (0.80), we show substantial genetic correlation (rg = 0.89, LD score regression P = 5.4 × 10−29). These findings provide new insight into the genetic architecture of intelligence.

>intelligence is genetic and inheritable
This has been known.

Yup. This is why I quit psychology, I was flat-out told we don't talk about genetic differences in intelligence or ability because it "creates fears that science could be used for scientific racism", in other words we are afraid of telling the truth because inferiors don't like being told they are objectively inferior.

I have 20/400 vision and I am perfectly aware this is inferior. Why can't people with an 85 IQ not be able to accept they are inferior?

>people with an 85 IQ
Can people with sub 100 IQ even think beyond the immediate and tangible.

92 and below is where you get the high point common criminal intelligence range, so pretty much

>Have a 140 IQ
>A white kid with a 90 IQ tells me I'm objectively inferior "on average"
>I should listen
Kys

>american education

You can't be a nigger and have 140 IQ. It never happened.

It could happen but they wouldn't be on Sup Forums of all places.

mate your response shows that you don't have 140+ iq

I beg to differ, as a white person with 142 IQ professionally tested, I am on chan every day. I believe he could have an IQ like that, but online tests are bunk.

>Why can't people with an 85 IQ not be able to accept they are inferior?
I guess the problem is the implications of those findings. Your shit vision can be corrected or effectively mitigated, your intelligence not so much. The lengths at which people go to jump around any notion of intelligence differences like this is total bullshit, but the conclusions most of the advocates seem to want the broader public to draw from those differences are just as unpalatable.

>tfw 130 iq brainlet

The fact that you can't even capitalize a fucking acronym correctly shows you don't have any place to talk, either.

it should be noted this research has largely been laughed at by reputable publications

Not an argument

Don't you study Rushton, Jensen or Lynn?

For example, nytimes.com/2017/05/22/science/52-genes-human-intelligence.html?_r=0 ?

tied to mental illness**

But on what basis? By itself that doesn't mean much.

this.

>extrapolating population-level averages to the individual level
>claim intelligence

Fucking stormfaggots

Appeal to authority. All I got out of that sentence was "scientist A is laughing at scientist B", which is utterly inconsequential.

>extrapolating population-level averages to the individual level
Nobody does this.

sure they don't

>Whites are smarter than blacks, so because I'm white that makes me smarter than every black
Who? Who says this?

>It's another "Sup Forums anons take an online meme test as their actual IQ and believe they're super geniuses despite being mostly NEETs" thread

majority of high IQ people have some form of Neurotypical behaviors so its more likely than you think

If your IQ was that high, wouldn't you realize that if we want to genetically engineer ourselves to be smarter we'd have to acknowledge intelligence is inherited? If a person has bad vision, they get glasses or corrective surgery. If a nignog is dumb as fuck, should there not be ways for them to enhance their intelligence or get corrective surgery?

>nigger
>140 IQ
Yeah, and I'm 6'6 with a 9" dick, bench 400 lbs., make $300k a year and have a PhD in physics

whatshisface the author of the bell curve predicted this, everything being a social construct breaks down when all the intelligence snps are proven

What is the bell curve?

I am Mulato and have an IQ of 139

Intelligence is a very vague term and is notoriously difficult to measure or quantify. Before anyone links specific genes to intelligence, they first need to develop a detailed definition of the term.

Interestingly, studies show that people of above average 'intelligence' (IQ in this case) are no more likely to be rational than people with below average intelligence, and in some circumstances are actually less likely to be rational. Studies also show that rationality can be taught and learned.

mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/opinion/sunday/the-difference-between-rationality-and-intelligence.html

Biological determinism is a shitty meme that needs to die.

Intelligence doesn't exist for normal people, anyone can train their brain to become good at school and learning unless they're mentally handicapped. Most people to choose to be idiots because it's the easier path.

You're such a fucking leaf holy shit

what you're saying is true to some extent but a kid with down's syndrome isn't going to be an astronaut by trying hard enough

We're likely to be more intelligent than "you".

I was writing about the average person - which means average in health, mental capabilities etc. The average person does not have down syndrome or anything similar (however much they might act as if they do).

Individual and partial exceptions don't alter the matter.

So which race has the better of the 52 genes? Are asian's the masterrace?

if there are genes that make people more likely to be physically attractive then there must be genes that correlate to better intelligence. not that this will matter - no one will make it known to the masses.

just as the harsh negatives and realities of feminism never see the light of day. we live in a fucked up society.

Repeat a set of tasks based on a system of predefined rules. I just lost for my calculator.
Robots are better astronaut than humans.

Intelligence is the set of skills designed to solve complex problems without causing more bigger problems.

Since when can't neural pathways be developed and trained?

I'd bet 50 bucks one or more are also tied to autism.

>going on the internet to tell lies

Sad life.

no amount of training is going to make anyone here a running back in the NFL

Because you can get prescription glasses, stupid people can't take smart pills

What does that have to do with neural pathways?

the analogy works for both intelligence and for physical traits

there are limits to what the brain can do, and those are physical limits, not psychological ones