Quitting Smoking

I made it 24 hours Sup Forums, before I cracked. It wouldn't go away, the incessant thoughts and the itches.

And now as I smoke this fine cigarette, I realize that the last 24 hours were for nothing.

How can something so degenerate be so ingrained in american culture? What are your thoughts on smoking?

And after all the shittalking has settled, are there any protips for quitting?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ecigs. Quit for 5 years now because of them.

Most important factors:
Do you actually want to quit?
Is the environment you're in conducive to smoking?
The first part I struggled with. I smoked from 15-23. I felt like I wanted to quit around 21, but looking back I didn't really want to. I just knew that I should. If you don't actually want to quit stop here.
If you do want to quit, it's really not that hard, the most important factor being is the environment you're in one that causes you to smoke. After I decided I wanted to quit for good, my biggest obstacle was work. It was retail, aka mildly stressful, and my coworkers all smoked. Unfortunately it wasn't until I found a different job that I managed to quit for good, and now here I am.

> are there any protips for quitting?

Yes.

PROTIP: Quitting smoking the successful cessation of cigarette use. If you break down and use cigarettes again after quitting, you are doing it wrong.

That all sounds eerily familiar. I'm 21, and you read me like a book. Damn, dude.

Cold turkey is the only and best way.

Quit 2 years ago when my RBC count dropped to 4.7
Usually people who stop smoking, supplant their addiction with something else, mostly excessive alcohol.

If you don't want to quit, you won't. If you do, make it three days. After that, it's all mental.

you fucking peat gavel

I said I was going to quit last week and I managed to stop for 3 days. The first 2 days were brutal as fuck, but on the third it was nowhere near as bad. Apparently it all gets better after the third day. Only started again because my mate offered me one.

I'm going to attempt stopping again tomorrow. Last one I had was 3 hours ago and I'm all out.

It's just those first 2 days. Stay strong.

Also, at £8.15 a pack. Is it worth it?

>Are there any protips for quitting?
Yes, break the habit. Identity periods where you want to smoke such as in the car or after dinner and replace it with a different, less cancerous habit. My buddy got into pen spinning so that something occupied his hands and sucking on sunflower seeds so something occupied his mouth, the dirty slut.

Goddamn, I've never heard of this 3 day concept, before. I've got to try again..

You can do it, bro.

Maybe try nicotine lozenges. I couldn't have quit without them. I haven't smoked in 6 years. Quit the lozenges about 4 years ago.

ecigs.

Dont go cold turkey because you think your a hard nut. Really cut down on smoking, to the point of chopping them in half so you can only smoke half

E-cigarette is the way to go.
>but muh mouth fedora! muh hipsters!
Bitch, do you want to have the ability to breathe, or do you want to let internet memes rule your life? Make your choice.

Only the weak can't kick the nicotine Jew. Man up.

Thank you, everybody. I don't have a strong support system, and it helps to not feel alone.

I've got a lot of thinking to do.

Just fucking stop. It's going to suck for a week, then it's gone. Replace the habit of putting a cig in your mouth by chewing nicotine gum or regular gum and sucking on a straw. Do push ups when the feeling comes on strong, do whatever you need to do to get your mind off of it. As time goes along the craving gets less and less until you don't want it anymore.

i bet it aint even bad for you if you dont use radioactive fertilizer

When I quit smoking for the nicotine lozenges, there was once or twice I relapsed for a short span. When I would go to quit again, I noticed that it was about three days before it didn't really suck not smoking.

This. Assume all anti-ecig posters are shills for big tobacco.

I quit for a year cold turkey, but ironically the post-thanksgiving dinner craving brought me back.

>are there any protips for quitting?

Don't be a bitch about it

You have to constantly reaffirm that you don't need it. If you can't do that, you'll never stay quit.

Just quit dude, you're going to anyways if you want to live. Eventually it leads to such shallow breathe you cant get around and you get scared and hit the emergency room. I quit after 16 years of smoking and moved to a vape mod. lungs feel great, no chest pains, no smokers cough, no wreaking like stale smoke. House smells better, complexion looks better, no ashes and ash trays, stinky fingers, teeth are like 10 shades whiter. And you can take a big pull off a mod. little hit off a cig doesnt compare anymore if you're a hog like me

Do the lozenges and gum even have any adverse effects? You're not inhaling smoke like regular or e-cigs, you're not cutting your gums with dip, and you're not getting the additives that are in either, it's just nicotine right?

I smoked for 12 years and quit cold turkey. Got real sick, had fevers, kept falling asleep at 6pm but after a month or so it died down. After ~4 months it was pretty easy but I smoke cigars every other week or so which helps out too

Why did you start smoking? Is there a good reason to start other than something to bitch about later?
I'm genuinely curious. Aren't patches and gum just as reliable for a healthy fix of nicotine?

I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day for ten years. I had to quit three times before I finally gave it up for good. Each time you quit it gets easier because your brain rewires and get's use to not smoking. From my experience it takes about a week of heavy cravings before they fade away. The first 4 days are the worst. If you can push yourself to three weeks you wont even give a shit anymore and will be free from the demon. You just have to make sure you don't slip and have even one, because you will be right back in the loop again. Cold turkey is the only way that worked for me. I must say though even now I still have occasional dreams about smoking cigarettes and I enjoy them but I will never go back it's too expensive an I don't want to die from smoking. It feels great once you quit and you'll definitely notice the difference. Good luck OP

OP here, I did try the nicotine gum for awhile.

My problem with it was that you only chew it a few times, and then "park it" on the side of your gum.

The nicotine felt nice, but you're not doing anything about keeping your hands or mouth busy, and that's where I choked.

Cease smoking completely and use a nicotine patch for some time

7 months and 8 days for me. The physical urge is completely gone and I have a lot more breath and endurance, but I STILL want one. I miss the impact of the smoke against my lungs and esophagus, and the numbing buzz that follows. I miss the aroma and the taste of a red after a long day of work, or during a stimulating conversation or movie.

You have to see very important benefits of quitting in order to take it seriously enough to stay off of them. Just knowing "you'll be healthy" or "you'll spend less money" don't mean shit, at least not to me; you have to see reasons why those reasons matter. You have to have a big, passionate goal that smoking is preventing you from reaching in order to quit for any real length of time. For me it was getting fit and purifying my mind of corrupting influences.

Its not 3 days, its 3 weeks. That's how long it takes for habits to get kicked.

Every day is a battle.
The first thing you should do is refrain from buying them.
You can't smoke something you don't have.
Also don't be too hard on yourself if you do have a smoke.
You get weak. You light it. You realize you were weak. You put it out. You walk.
The inner strength is something cultivated over years.
Just don't smoke for the rest of today.
That's really the best you can ever manage.
And that actually does count for something.

>smoked for 10 years +- few months
>start vaping hard. ( Frequent and hard nic) to quit smoking regulars
>smoke weed as well real hard
>develop deadmans cough, like a painful cough that comes in not only every morning but before every conversation
>cant vape anymore, coughing unbearable - switch back to regular cigs because of craving + still smoking weed
>cough not going away, my gf leaves me for her ex (cause he attempted suicide or something and it was like wow for her)
>decide to fuck everything and everyone
>quit smoking all together
>fast forward few months - cough is gone, it appears only if i smoke weed from time to time
>still havent visited a doc (was suicidal when gf left me, so just didnt get help)
>now quit everything all together - feeling like born a new

stop smoking

Drink a glass of water or do a small task or chore any time you get the urge to smoke
It worked for me with drinking and I had been drinking every day for five years or so. Going on day 33 sober and feel good.

Vape. It will get you off the cancer sticks right quick.

> theeasywaytoquitsmoking,.pdf

Just go cold turkey, I've been smoke free since the 12th and i'm fucking done with cigarretes, no headaches no sore throat and i no longer smell like an ashtray. my teeth are beginning to clear too and my skin. feels good man.

Sunflower seeds, my dude

i am 50 years old smoked since i was 14 tried everything 30 fags a day of which 20 were joints .i'm on champix no nicotine for one month vape the weed but not as much as the nicotine in the joints made me feel more addicted to the weed than i realy was

Call me when you get addicted to something that you can actually get addicted to.

Quitting a ten-year, pack-a-day habit was about as hard as quitting Coke Cola.

Alcohol? Xanax? You wouldn't make it.

Once you start smoking you can never quit. So with that said try and improve your life so you dont need them. I often take breaks for years then smoke for a few months then a break again. It becomes easier over time to give them up. If you are smoking a pack a day then you will get sick, i was there for about a year, its hell. So smoke less take breaks but never have the mindset to quit it will only make you want them more.

Dip instead?

I smoked for 19 years and quit 2 years ago.

keep at it, don't let one failed attempt stop you from trying again

I'd recommend cessation methods (nicotine gum or vaping) over Chantix.

also, read Dr. Allen Carr’s book, "Easy Way to Stop Smoking"

disgusting

Virginia Slims Superslims Menthol.
Everybody dies of something. Be happy and Enjoy your life.

Also smoked from 15-23, but I have some contention with your statements:

Yes, leaving the environment that seduces you to smoke is a good way to quit, but it isn't a stable way to do it; that is if you only quit because you stopped being around smoking or in a stressful environment then as soon as that changes you'll be tempted once again. You may have reduced the temptation by beating the physical addiction, but as I mentioned in my last post I have been off cigs for over 7 months and I still want one for psychological reasons. So doing it that way is better than nothing, but it isn't an acceptable substitute for really nailing down a solid motive to quit.

I work with a ton of smokers and I have 2 kids and a gf whose insanely stressful to be around 70% of the time and I don't smoke anymore still.

Why would you even start smoking I always got a fucking headache from smoke since I was a kid. I can't imagine it feeling good anyhow.

I quit halfway through college after smoking all through high school, then started up again during finals of my senior year in college, and quit again a couple years later into my working life. Haven't looked back since.

Both times, I used a thought process where "every day I don't quit, is another day I become more addicted, therefore quitting today will be easier than tomorrow, and so forth" to be EXTREMELY helpful.

I also thought of the adjustment process in a way similar to that of entering high school. The first day is the hardest. The first week is hard, but not as hard as the first day. The first month is tough, but not as bad as the first week. The first year is moderately difficult, but nowhere near as tough as the first month. After that, you have adjusted to your new lifestyle, and its all about never going back.

You can do it friend. Quitting smoking is difficult, but nowhere near as tough as advertisements would like you to believe.

Both times I used the nicotine patch simply following the directions on the box.

I also identified certain things that triggered my desire to smoke, such as drinking beer, and avoided them for about a year. I can now drink without wanting a cigarette.

I used an electronic cigarette for a while and
I slowly lowered the rate of liquid nicotine. At one time i dropped the device and it was easy. I haven't smoked since 1 year now.
The hard time for me was when i had a coffee or a beer and after eating.
Try to drink a lot of water (when you want to smoke) and eat healthy, it helped me.

The patch. It requires cold turkey from the smoking itself and the gradual nicotine step down over 6 weeks in three steps. Used it myself a couple times in the past.

1996 - 2003 - Smoked 1+ pack per day
2003 - 2005 - quit
2005 - 2008 - Smoked 1+ pack per day
2008 - 2014 - quit
2014 - 2015 - Smoked 1+ pack per day
2014 - current - quit

This is how I feel about alcohol so if you drink then just look at it that way.

I suggest you switch to an ecig, then when you are ready avoid all smoking friends and stress for a week to cut back to a 0% nicotine e-juice. You want to be in place that you cannot bum. Also cut ALL alcohol out for the month you quit.
It worked for me, and its worth it.
Goodluck user!

I started smoking because I was young, hated life, and didn't care what happened to me. also, cigs were $20 a carton when I started

I just switched to weed.

stop being a pussy?

I quit dipping a year ago after 7 years of use. As a smoker you will never land a descent woman and you smell like shit all day.

Get a vape they're super faggy but they're easy to quit just lower the nicotine til ur at 0 quitting is mostly about breaking the ritual. I haven't smoked in 6 months or used the vape in 2. Just make sure u get a good rda and temp mod you'll never look back. It's 100000000x cheaper too gl user

Ecig, I smoked for 10 years, switched to vaping for six months, now i dont need nicotine at all.

I haven't smoked cigars for over 15 days because of a tooth extraction. Waiting for the gum to heal so I can smoke again. No problem.

I only smoke because I'm bored, cigars do work in giving me that mood kick and I don't plan on living long enough to need my lungs in my old age. And besides cigars taste good, unlike cigs.

Yeah, again just pacifiers. Focus all of your mind on WHY you want to quit. Come up with a reason that's just unbeatable. Only decent solution.

This is basically what I did. Even used 0 nic for about 2 weeks for the habit but, then I knew I didn't need it and stopped.... once you get low on the nic do not drink for the love of God, you'll have serious cravings and will likely cave.

First you got to commit to quitting smoking, I find drinking lots of water and eating well helps, also chewing gum really helps when the urge to smoke hits

You don't actually inhale cigar smoke though, do you?

Hahahaha I remember moving from NY to NC, I was like:
>Alright. New place, new life, better make some new good habits. Time to get smoking
>Wait...you're telling me these cigarettes aren't $10? They're only $5?
>Holy shit, I can't afford NOT to smoke!

This. I quit couple of months ago completely. Though I haven't had an analog one for couple of years. Don't know why I even was on ecig so long, I could have quit even faster desu.

smoked 20 plus years. First time I quit for a couple of years I was bedridden for a week. didn' go outside was too weak, ( and I didn't smoke indoors) so after I week when I was feeling better I didn't smoke,

2nd time i was on e-cgis did well but had a bad day had a cigarette and slippery slope.

this time around i've been suffering from acid reflux really bad. The smothach acid has been fuckign up my throat. the pain was killing me so much i thought cigs had fucked me.

but again i did e-cigs and then switched to one of those vape things. and puff occasionally which seems to suit me fine.

My advice.

Use something like a cigarette ( brand logic vapes were good). BUY 30 refils and 5 batteries. This means A) you have enough ecigs to stop you running out and reaching for a pack of cigs. b) you arent faffing around with liquids and shit C0 its easily to swap refils.

once you've gone over the hump of about 2 weeks you should be good. lower your dose. I stopped completely and one day felt the urge. again. but i didnt have a refill so i brought a vape with liquid and it was tobacco free. JSUt the trick when i occasionally feel like a puff.

you can do it user. I literally quit and restarted 5 times the beginning of this year before it stuck. Don't be a slave to the jew cancer stick.

No, I retrohale like any good cigar smoker. You are bound to get some in your lungs either way.

i forgot to say you feel shit for 3 days due to withdrawal. take some holidays stay in bed and take multivitamins to keep your energy levels up.

you are weak

It helps you deal. Im happy you are living a life were you dont consider using a harmful substance necessary.
I would say try some wine you are missing out if you dont. Make it a social affair. have a glass with a dinner. I would say at least try its a good experience. Unlike smoking where you should never touch it.

I used a vape to quit. Just vaped for a month and lowered nicotine amount and eventually used no nicotine and then quit totally.

Vaping is cringey to some people but I'm a body builder chad so nobody said shit to me outside of my gf teasing me. Glad I gave up cigarettes, shit was too expensive in my state at 10 bucks a pack 2 packs a day.

This. I had one cigarette after 3 months of just vaping, tasted like utter ass, now it's been another month and the cravings haven't come back.
For reference, started smoking at 13yo, I'm 33, one or more packs per day.

I used to smoke 4 packs a day. Wellbutrin was the only thing that helped me quit

havent smoked in a year.
get like me senpai

You just have to quit, faggot
Crumple a full box NOW and get it over with

I can enjoy a glass of wine or a few beers here an there but any time I take shots or go beyond the point of "light buzz" I just feel tired and sick and angry. I can't party with alcohol.

No side effects. The gum did not do it for me. I tried that first. The mints were awesome though. I loved those.

Weak mind.
Just stop.

>I realize that the last 24 hours were for nothing.

no, you still went 24 hours without a cigarette and thats a win if you're trying to break a habit.

what if you got used to just having 1 or 2 cigarettes every 24 hours without going down a slippery slope?

think of that as your bench mark. you know now that you made it a day without it. think of it as someone putting weight on a barbell. day 1 in the gym you don't squat 300 pounds. 1 day is the amount of weight you can put on your "bar." buy a pack, pick out one cigarette and have that one cigarette.

or even if you still smoke a bit, so what? just make sure youre conscious of what you're doing. 4-6 cigarettes in a day is physiologically much healthier than 10, 12, 20. if you cant limit yourself to just one a day and you feel like shit try different strategies. or even try out increasing the amount of time between cigarettes. say you'd have 2 an hour before, switch that to one an hour for a week. then one every 3 hours, so on, so fourth. experiment but keep trying to quit, don't feel like a failure if you go back to it as long as you keep making progress and realize what you're doing.

these are just some ideas.

3 weeks cold turkey and going strong. You just got to suck it up for the first week, it's hell but doable.

>Crumple a full box NOW and get it over with

Not a good idea in my experience. Finish a pack with the intention of quitting, that way you can get a feeling of closure. I've tried the "flush them down the toilet" routine and I relapsed because I felt that I just needed my last cigarette to be thoughtful and enjoyable, not just another cig.

going cold turkey is always hard, try just lowering your in-take, eg, only smoke 5 a day, then 2 a day, then 1 a day, then 1 every day 2 days, then 1 every 3 days, ect, ect until you dont want them as much anymore

in general, both are true

it takes about 3 days for nicotine to leave your body. these days are generally brutal, but after it is over things get WAY easier. nicotene replacement will only drag this misery out for longer, lowering your chances of actually quitting. from personal experience, it was really the first 5 days that sucked. i didn't use any replacement

between "3 days" and "3 weeks" you will crave, but they won't be physical cravings, it'll be psychological. it'll still be sort of difficult, but manageable

after 3 weeks (and this was true for me) it's like you're still smoking as far as how much thought you give it, but without actually smoking. it's nice. still have to be vigilant, and you'll miss it from time to time

some advice:
>don't drink the first week. drinking makes you crave.
>avoid friends/coworkers that smoke the first few days, if you can. if you're with friends/coworkers and they go out to smoke, just don't
>exercise when craving. go for a brisk walk or lift for a bit. it helps

>What are your thoughts on smoking?
It's a filthy habit for worthless scum.
Just don't do it, shit, how hard is it to not do something, you retard.

I've been smoking since I was 14. Almost 14 years of smoking. It's just something I've always done. I've never even considered quitting. I don't think it's even possible.

>I would say try some wine you are missing out if you dont

Dude might be like me and just can't drink. I get a bad head ache and feel like shit no matter what I drink. Even top shelf gives me a head ache and makes me feel like I have a flu.

My doctor said it's probably an Allergy to alcohol, I don't know if he's right though.

>flush 10$ of cigs
>go and spend 10$ more
Ummm, try saving that money

yeah me too. I still have to hide it from everyone because it's frowned upon even more than smoking though. But it's relatively inexpensive if when I buy the liquid in bulk, like 250ml. I've only ever found one tank that didn't leak everywhere on me also, iclear 30.

That's really weird. There must be something wrong with you.

It's possible man but you actually have to want to quit. If you don't want to quit you won't be able to because the cravings will do it. I feel like it's harder to quit when you're young because the consequences seem so far away.

That's easy considering I don't smoke anymore. I owe my success to the methods you're arguing against, too.

instead of killing yourself slowly over time why don't you just put a loaded double barrel in your mouth and pull the fucking trigger. Get it over with now

>>don't drink the first week. drinking makes you crave.
I went out and partied i even got drunk solo.
>>avoid friends/coworkers that smoke the first few days, if you can. if you're with friends/coworkers and they go out to smoke, just don't
Went out a few times with my friends that smoke and i even carried a pack since they didn't know i had quit.
>>exercise when craving. go for a brisk walk or lift for a bit. it helps
I can now do 50 pushups from 10.
Smoked for over 20 years and this is the secon time i've been so long without a cig.

>It's just something I've always done. I've never even considered quitting. I don't think it's even possible.

I smoked for 20 years and thought the same exact thing as you. Two years ago I decided to see, just as an experiment, if I used a vape would I be able to quit for a day or two. After the first day when I saw how easy it was, a switch clicked in my head and I realized I didn't need or want to smoke cigarettes anymore. That was 2 years ago and haven't smoked a cig since.

i chew smokeless tobacco, it seem nigh impossible to quit because unlike smoking i can always have a fat lip. what do?

>>develop deadmans cough, like a painful cough that comes in not only every morning but before every conversation
>>cant vape anymore, coughing unbearable - switch back to regular cigs because of craving + still smoking weed
>>cough not going away,
The cough was the result of quitting smoking. That was the coating of tar in your lungs breaking down, and your body trying to expel all the horrible shit it had been holding in. Would've happened if you quit cold turkey, with patches, with gum, or if you'd switched to dipping. Vaping wasn't the issue.

I quit by combining reading this:
amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155
with using the patch. It's worth the 9 bucks to but, but the .pdf also can be found on torrent sites.