Why the fuck are we not using the Metric System?

Why the fuck are we not using the Metric System?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States#20th_century
youtube.com/watch?v=5q4FjKU3tFw
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill
wired.com/2010/11/1110mars-climate-observer-report/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because we are the best and the rest of the world can suck it.

we slowly are most things are both metric and imperial plus they teach metric in middle and high school science classes

we do for electricity

Metricfags can talk when they land a man on the moon

Why the fuck are the French not using paternity tests?

Because the Britcucks gave us Imperial in the 1700's and we've been using it since.

Also Imperial is much easier to approximate using just your eyes alone.

Estimate what 1ft is, and then do the same with 333mm or 33.3cm or 3.33 decimeters or .33 meteres

Because nobody brags about how many centimetres they are.

Metric fags fail to realize that the imperial system works pretty well for most day to day things. Also, all measurement units are arbitrary. Further, the whole base 10 thing in metric, you can do the same with imperial. Anybody with half a brain can figure out what a kilo-pound or a centi-foot is.

>we slowly are

Bullshit.

Do you get the day's temperature on the news in Fahrenheit or Celsius? What about baking? Are the speed signs on the roads in mph or kph? Do you buy gas by the gallon or liter? Is your height on your driver's license in feet/inches or cm, etc., etc., etc.?

They've been teaching metric in schools since the 1970s. Doesn't mean anyone uses it or even remembers it, unless they get a job that requires it (even then, they drop it as soon as they're off work).

>american intellectuals

kilogramsforce, newtons, kilograms

poundsforce, pounds, slugs

you aren't an engineer if you don't know the difference

Because we are special snowflakes and we are the best because I say so, go team!!11!!111111111!1

We do use it, we use both

COUNTRIES THAT HAVE LANDED SOMEONE ON THE MOON: USA

COUNTRIES THAT USE FREEDOM UNITS: USA

CASE CLOSED EUROFAGS

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States#20th_century

t;dr We were actually going to in the 70's, but Reagan's budget cuts squashed that plan.

Because it's more useful in practical situations.

>soon to be chinese colony

WE
WUZ
KANG
HENRY
N
SHEIT

Nobody seems to want to say the correct answer.
We started out with the imperial system when technology was being advanced during the industrial revolution, and our machines were built using imperial standards. Roads, milk bottles, cars, and many other products and services have imperial standards and changing them to metric would cost so much money that you can't even fathom it. Imagine changing literally every mile marker in the US.

In the UK we:

>get the temperature in celsius
>have signs in mph
>buy petrol by the liter
>measure fuel efficiency in miles per gallon
>measure height in feet, unless it's official
>measure weight in stone
>buy food and drink by the gram or liter
>drink our drinks by the pint

>poundsforce, pounds, slugs
Retarded burger.

its faggy

Where I live, you have to be familiar with both systems, and I actually prefer the imperial system of 1/2s, 1/4s, 1/8s, etc, to the metric system of 1/10s, 1/100s, 1/1000s, etc.

But they both suck for temperature, so use Kelvin/Rankine.

I wish we did dude, it'd be nice

Why use kelvin instead of celsius?

>Why the fuck are we not using the Metric System?

Better question: Why the fuck do people keep asking this?

It was tried in the 70s, went over like a lead balloon, the Metric Board was abolished in the early 80s. No American politician talks about it anymore. Did you see Trump or Clinton discussing it at the debates? No. It's a 100% dead and buried political issue. Metric lost, and it's not coming back.

youtube.com/watch?v=5q4FjKU3tFw

I recall a story of Americans taking exception to pi as a decimal 3.41 and wanting to round it off at 3.

That pyramid argument is pure autism, date thing is clearly ordered by how you say it not by the numerical value.

U N D E R R A T E D

Because if I were 98.6 degrees celcius I'd be dead you fucking retard.

Kek'd and checked

>every mile marker in the US.
Probably cheaper than actually fixing out decaying roads and bridges.

I don't know why I typed it like that, disregard me I'm a huge faggot.

I'd probably also be dead if it were 98.6 Fahrenheit

Na, this is the story

You guys got to the moon with imperial, no other country has achieved that feat
It's a testament that it doesn't matter what system of measurement you use in higher math and physics, they all use the same equations

Burger can't into mathematics

Because Kelvin and Rankine are properly zeroed, so that temperature simply becomes: energy per particle per degree of freedom. 0K(=0 Rankine) has no motion of molecules. This also means you can convert between units by multiplying, just as you do for distance, mass, etc.

Because we're not faggot ass Europeans

America, where the only thing we use to metric for is measuring our soda.

For those that don't know, this is the remanence of the American push for metric back in the 70s.

That's what scientists use because absolute zero = 0 Kelvin
Only school kiddies use Celcius or Farenheit

Never understood why we use both interchangeably. We don't even get taught imperial at school anymore but most people naturally start using it.

But can you use it to determine the salinity percentage of water by freezing it?

Reply if your country invented pretty much everything in the modern world.

Coz:

Don't know but the photo is retarded.

wtf i rarely see anyone using 10s or 10ths of units. apart from cm everything is done in 1000s. what's the point of that king Henry thing?

>he says as he sits on his Swedish chair, typing on his Japanese computer, using the British Internet, counting with Arabic numerals, writing in English, then going out to drive in his German car to buy Chinese products from his Saudi-owned baseball team shop, in order to support his favourite player from the Dominican Republic

Pascals are the shittiest unit ever.

i dont get it
explain

>he can't use both the metric system and the US system

You guys are fucking retards if you can't use both systems.

why

Because it's such a tiny amount of pressure for being SI.

>A non-American was so buttblasted about American superiority he made this copypasta and saved it, thousands of others have done the same

>You guys are fucking retards if you can't use both systems.

wired.com/2010/11/1110mars-climate-observer-report/

>Metric fags fail to realize that the imperial system works pretty well for most day to day things
You're literally applying your own experience with imperial as a general rule. If you're educated in metric, metric makes more sense.
>all measurement units are arbitrary
Not metric.
>Further, the whole base 10 thing in metric, you can do the same with imperial
Go ahead and tell me when your road signs measure speeds in kilofeet per hour
>Anybody with half a brain can figure out what a kilo-pound or a centi-foot is
Which basically just argues in favor of metric.

Inches are a really nice unit of measurement.

I use both though. To me, using a 9 inch hammer makes more sense than using a 23 cm hammer. If youre strictly using metric, you're using a lot of tiny numbers.

The superior being uses all the measurements.

Which I guess is why you just kPa. Same can also go for calories.

apollo's computer used metric internally, only used imperial for crew readouts

which pretty much says it right there, desu. why does it matter if that's what you know? do the math in metric, show the normies in imperial.

Also, metric will be fizzled out once we start realizing base 12 is the proper way to do things.

Coz we're a bunch of pussies. The only thing we might have as much freedom as you is on private life. We don't use paternity tests for the same reasons that a record of someone without them knowing it cannot be used in court.

ikr imperialfags can talk when they don't crash landers into Mars bc they had their own special snowflake units confused with the rest of the world units.
You must mean after WWIII

Because it's gay

t.pilot who had to learn celsius.

Imperial temperatures are better for day to day because imperial temp is based on water in the human body. Also since each single degree in Fahrenheit is smaller it's much better for measuring precise temperatures for casual uses.

When are we all going to convert time into metric base 10

fpbp

then you should measure it in Kelvin.... every fucking argument put here is so fucking stupid, it's literally impossible to switch between each system without undergoing massive expenses to train a whole generation to use a system, they're unfamiliar with, a system for each pretty much everything is standardised for in each region, conductor section, nail sizes, you name it...

Base 10 sucks. We're only used to counting in tens because of ten fingers. Base 12 is much better having more factors... divisible by 1,2,3,4,6 and 12. Much easier to divide into thirds AND quarters. Works much better IRL applications involving geometry, i.e. architecture and construction. We should get rid of decimal and use duodecimal, then we will reach next level intelligence.

desu that's the only thing metric i fucking hate.
0F is fucking cold.
100F is fucking hot.

0C is kinda chilly
100C is fucking dead

0R is fucking impossible
0K is fucking impossible too

100K is really fucking dead
100R is even fucking more dead

for normie-facing measurements and psychometric temperature, fahrenheit just fits better

"teacher, why do we say it's 310 degrees outside?"
>put your thermostat on 290

kelvin and rankine are only really important for gritty engineering crap.

why the fuck are you fat as shit but still using a scooter to go buy processed ford at walmart? because its the american way, user

Because we are too stupid. If you go up to Canada for a weekend. Boom. By the end of the weekend, you are easily using metrics. We Americans are just too fucking fat and stupid

I believe all nations in the world should use Kelvin
Celcius and Fareinheit are arbitrary measurements

>0F is fucking cold.
lmao americans arent even white

yes because 1ÂșC resolution is not enough for you to know if you need to put a coat on or not...

Some nations use the metric system and others go to the moon.

t. Ahmet Abdul Bin Mohammed Aziz.

Not until we learn a shorter way to say the units. Once we do, citizen numeracy will improve drastically and we won't be so able to bamboozle with sduhtistics.
Doesn't everyone pretty much use AWG for electrical wire?

In France you can't get a paternity check to prove its not your child in court

As several people have said, the system we are using works a lot better for literally every day to day task. Metric is really only superior as a system where you are talking about really large or really small numbers and having base 10 makes things easier for calculation. Conversely, because it's an arbitrary base 10 for everything, no metric measurements really related to anything and are frequently too large or too small to really make much sense. For example, you pretty much have to read metric temperatures in decimals.

no, everyone in Europe at least in Power Eng, at least for MV and above uses mm^2, from my experience

Base 10 sucks ass.

Also, metric socket sizes are fucking retarded!

why do i see decimal points on the weather reports there? 0~100 gives you a natural-looking gradient that covers about everything you'll encounter in most weather, but the same thing in celcius is, even rounding it to the nearest int, -18 to 38, just kinda janky in comparison

In Europe I'm pretty sure they measure by cross sectional area instead of gauge number, which desu is better, awg is shit

a kilo's about 2.2lb
a meter's about a yard
a liter's about a quart
and a second's a second

other than celcius metric base units are actually pretty natural

So when are you going to adopt metric time?

Oh wait, you agree that sometimes things don't have to be in base ten to make sense?

Time to commit sudoku.

Instead of pushing the retardo metric system, the Masons should have pushed for base 12 numerical system.

You can easily count to a gross with your fingers in base 12.

Oh, where we use kilo-circular mils (?) which is sorta metric.
Nonsense. A degree Celsius difference is not quite twice as big as a degree Fahrenheit difference. Round to the nearest half if you must.
We probably should. 86400 ~= 100000

>travel to other univeerse.
>know how to get the fucking killogram and metter together you literally redevelop the same system like back at home with basic tools.
>be british. land in other universe. all you got is that feeling to be fucked.

>other than celcius metric base units are actually pretty natural
wrong.gif

Anything scientific we do.
for regular shit, we're just used to it by now.

Using Imperial is part of our culture and heritage, we can use both just fine. I want to go into a pub and ask for a pint, not 660ml.

1 foot is about a third of a meter. Easy peasy. You may not be able to imagine what a meter is, but if you grew up with it, it's just as easy.

>Round to the nearest half
Metric doesn't have halves. That's the whole point of metric: getting rid of fractions

So 100 days per year?

Good luck with that!

>sorta metric
>1 Circular Mil:Area of a circle with a diameter of 1 mil, a mil being one-thousandth of an inch.

>be faggot german hun
>shittiest english imaginable
just stop

nigger i just pointed out how the metric base units are actually pretty close to imperial units