What Happened?

What happened to architecture? It used to be proud and beautiful. Now all we have are glass towers with literally no facade aesthetics. 432 Park Avenue is a bunch of square windows in a checkered pattern and 3 WTC is a blue glass giant with awkward looking zigzag bracing. How do we save architecture?

Other urls found in this thread:

alamy.com/stock-photo-building-in-secession-architectural-style-josip-juraj-strossmayer-75163891.html
alamy.com/stock-photo-art-nouveau-facades-of-houses-at-strelnieku-street-in-riga-latvia-21862749.html
worldalldetails.com/sightseeing/vienna_architecture_597040.jpg
awaywithjoanna.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IMG_1797-1024x768.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hey fuckface, my firm designed 432 Park Avenue and it is a marvel of structural engineering.

>Now all we have are glass towers with literally no facade aesthetics.
Because it is cheap. Like in USSR when they stoped to build Stalin's empire style buildings and builds 100s of commieblocks.

>let's go back to 1960s tower blocs that look like prisons

A fucking giant glass filing cabinet

Go to the top and jump off

It is horrible and so is your firm.

Because it's a reflection of our societies.

Because we used to be proud and beautiful.

We cared about our cities and thought about our descendants.

When we became ugly, depraved and superficial, so did our cities. And also our cars, our music, our relationships as well our nations.

It has impacted all areas of our live - we look at old photographs and feel a distant longing despite not being able to clearly define what is it we want.

We want beauty. Once we work for bettering ourselves and fostering grace, elegance and style within ourselves, it will impact every area of our live.

Don't be discouraged if you feel alone - every single one of us can make a difference; you never know who is watching and who will take on your example. Always do your very best and if even a - relatively speaking - small group of people keeps at it, we might see a change we had never expect to come.

Good post m8

It's no wonder why anime loves white man's traditional style.

New York is full of fake buildings with not that many real floors.

They realized that creating miserable conditions for people to live in actually makes them more money and makes the population easier to control.

You see, back in the days of enlightened absolutism, they thought that they were supposed to make the population happy, healthy, educated, cultured, spiritually enlightened, that sort of crap.

Thank G-d for progress!

People today have no fucking imagination.

I wish we could have the classical style with modern updates like black glass pillars and more metals used for details instead of rock carvings

We were strong, innovative once.
Now we are weak and fragile.

What the fuck is with this thread and strawman arguments, all the buildings today have a contemporary architectural style, they have a lot of effort put into constructing them. We looked back on old buildings with nostalgia because they're old, people in the future will be fascinated by contemporary architecture.

I just want traditional architecture back, is that too much to ask for?
It looks better and is far cheaper.

buildings today look like cars today.
designed by a computer with little difference between the brands.

Yeah pretty sure they'll be amazed of our rectangular boxes.

>Implying this is beautiful

What's the deal with you Europoors and your obsession with dildo skyscrapers?

JUST

This looks so miserable. There's nothing welcoming about it. It's cold and brutal.

Because we abandoned god and started worshiping money.
Money has only one commandment:
>Engineer human existence down to the lowest common denominator. This is the law of the profits.

I really like contemporary architecture, but yes, sometimes it feels like a bit lazy compared to the ones of 80+ years ago.
Also I'd like to say that (at least here), except for some examples, architecture in the 50's(after the Facism) started to be horryfing but it's improving imho

Fastest way to get rid of the ugly glass and rebuild into something beautiful AND get rid of useless people at same time is an all-out war.

Not sure if stupid or just trolling

Jews

FUCK

I have a Ford SUV that's just black, like everyone else who isn't driving white or silver or medium gray. I swear I've tugged on the wrong car handle 5 or 6 times since I've owned it. It's really hard to tell one car from another between brands. Every single make has the exact same car as mine with a very similar body design.

You're not wrong upside down Indonesia desu baka senpai

The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion are the minutes of a meeting of Jewish elites in which a master plan for world domination, to be completed over 100-plus years, is laid out in chilling detail.

The Protocols tell of Jewish control of world banking, world media, communism, liberalism, and political parties of every type. The master plot includes plans to:

- Destroy the Catholic church and all Christianity

- Replace religion with science and materialism

- Corrupt minds with filth and perversion

- Promote senseless "modern art" and dirty literature

- Create entertaining distractions

- Rewrite history

- Place agents and helpers everywhere

- Use bribery, threats, and blackmail to control individuals

- Use anti-Semitism to keep "lesser Jews" cohesive

- Introduce a progressive tax on wealth

- Replace sound investment with speculation

- Create economic depressions and inflations

- Use state debt as a weapon to enslave countries

- Subvert and control all existing governments

- Appoint puppet leaders

- Create "controlled opposition" to themselves

- Manipulate women with ideas of "liberation"

- Control the education system to spread deception and destroy intellect

- Manipulate college students with phony idealism

- Start fights between different races, classes, and religions

- Encourage people to spy on one another

- Abolish all rights and freedoms

- Assassinate world leaders

- Spread deadly diseases

- Commit acts of terrorism

- Sacrifice people (including Jews sometimes) when necessary

- Keep the masses in poverty and perpetual labor

- Take possession of all wealth, property, and especially gold

- Start a World War which will include the USA

- Set up world government after an economic crash

It's called the International Style for a reason

MY

No idea but I completely agree with you OP. buildings made pre-1950 are all modern boring pieces of crap. Look at the Vatican and Washington DC buildings and New York and chicagos old buildings, and look at their new ones. Fuckin huge drop in quality

SHIT

The Flatiron building is novel but a poor example. It was built to maximize available space but I'd hate to work there every day. A competent modern-day architect would almost certainly design something more functional and aesthetically-pleasing

I hate modern architecture. It really is another means to homogenize culture. That being said I work in real estate and try my best, while still keeping economics in mind, to make whatever building as aesthetically pleasing as possible. I still take pride in that shit

UP

Are we talking about your moms vagina?

Really? It looks painfully stupid. A blotch on New York City, honestly. Should just knock it down, it's like a zit.

I wish more people talked about this, every car and suv is the damn same im glad I got my jeep wrangler

See, the funny thing about that is, if you pick buildings from the same time periods, almost all of Europe can look the same too. For example literally every city will have a medieval historical center that will look the same, then every city has secession buildings that all look the same, and so on.

>Don't be discouraged if you feel alone - every single one of us can make a difference; you never know who is watching and who will take on your example. Always do your very best and if even a - relatively speaking - small group of people keeps at it, we might see a change we had never expect to come.
My friend, realize that the path we are on is only headed in a certain direction. Now is not the time for false hope.

The only positive trait about this one is the height
It looks like it came out from Minecraft

Post-1950***

Jesus Christ, look at how beautiful this is. 1930s Dallas, Tx

It's more efficient to build simple shapes. You can build beautiful skyscraper in 15 years with very expensive cost and have the outside walls full of nice sculptures. Or you can build a glass building in 5-10 years.

That is simply not true at all

Wisdom.

hey, we found your mom's dildo

>look at how beautiful this is.

Looks like generic concrete consume-till-you-drop trash to me, mate.

Them's fight'n words

The world is a whore now. Every now and then you have a chance to lay her on her back and "get some" and if you slip her an extra few bucks she might even let you kiss her. But when you look into her eyes you can see that she is bored that no matter what you do or say it means nothing to her. Her eyes are just cold empty sociopathic caverns.

You're getting yours. She's getting hers. You should feel fine about that. But you don't. Every nut you bust with her makes you feel a little more empty. You pay each other but neither of you break even. Neither of you get back everything you put into this ever strained relationship.

You ask yourself "What do?". Do you get fucked up and bareback her raw and hope your luck finally runs out? Do you accept that there's nothing for you to be gained and go jump off the nearest bridge after firing one last steamy load in her face? Do you squeeze her and watch the life slowly drain from her?

Nah. You just do what we all do... Just stay the course... Slowly fade away from entropy.

They're gonna build one of these even in my city, altough this new one seems nice

Psychopaths with no understanding of beauty took over the upper echelons of society. We entered an era of sterile, dehumanised culture, politics and economics.

>It's more efficient to build simple shapes. You can build beautiful skyscraper in 15 years with very expensive cost and have the outside walls full of nice sculptures. Or you can build a glass building in 5-10 years.

um try again sweetie ;)

At least generic glass buildings are an improvement from 1960s brutalism.

Last two are not simpler shapes.

Literally looks like a place in hell where you ho to be brutally tortured and then eaten alive by satanic penguins with raging hard-ons.

O___O O___O
__F__F F__F__
___T_T T_T___
O F T B B T F O
___T_TTTT_T___
__F__FFFF__F__
O___OOOO___O

Architectural styles were largely uniform/with very similar elements, that's why they're called styles. And their popularity spread very fast throughout the entire Europe. What exactly is "not true" about this?

Some examples of secession which is what most people think of when you say "European architecture":

Croatia:
alamy.com/stock-photo-building-in-secession-architectural-style-josip-juraj-strossmayer-75163891.html
Latvia:
alamy.com/stock-photo-art-nouveau-facades-of-houses-at-strelnieku-street-in-riga-latvia-21862749.html
Austria:
worldalldetails.com/sightseeing/vienna_architecture_597040.jpg
Spain:
awaywithjoanna.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IMG_1797-1024x768.jpg

They built this museum in my city

>O___OOOO___O
>__F__FFFF__F__
>___T_TTT_T___
>O F T B B T F O
>___T_TTTT_T___
>__F__FFFF__F__
>O___OOOO___O

Why is that shit building cost 4b?

I like the one on the left tho, looks like a fish.
OC coming through.

>It looks like it came out from Minecraft
whew, i'm stealing that

Mainly because of politics

4 goddamn billions for that monster?

It's my uni's library.

And this is my uni's cafeteria.

wew

It's like the perfect metaphor for the disturbing and grotesque distortion and breakdown of modern education.

Why are 60s buildings like that?

looks like a post islamic bombsite

I'm convinced that Art Deco is Godtier architecture

urbanization, capitalism, jews

>complains about cars all being the same nowadays
>buys a jeep wrangler

It's a museum for human rights. It was made so whitey can feel bad about what we did to niggers and natives.

Pretty goodt. Kinda corny and cheesy though

That's it! That's the style I've loved since I was a kid. I could never figure out the name. Thanks user!

who pays for these buildings? if it costs more doesn't that mean workers end up paid more or longer? if a building is shitty but one man pays for it out of indulgence what does it matter to you? its true capitalism.