Is gender a spectrum?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender#Gender_taxonomy
youtube.com/watch?v=BMYBl2uzXEw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_transsexuality
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There is only one gender, Women are property

Maybe?

By far the most common genders are XX and XY but weird disorders and conditions can give you things like XXXY and other wacky combos.

You still can't choose your own gender.

No, it is a social construct

no.

If 99% of people are at one end of the "spectrum" it's not a spectrum. It's a bi modal distribution with a couple of outliers.

this

a good example I use on people is saying that some people are born without limbs or with extra limbs, we call those birth defects, we don't say that humans have a "spectrum" of limbs

No.

not really no
99.99% of people (even most trannies) are men or women. Maybe there are some people who are unironically non binary but they're a fraction of a percent and you can't say that because that tiny bit exists then the rule that's true for the vast majority is wrong.

That's actually a pretty damn persuasive example

Any proof for any of this? I've been searching don't find very much.

yes, because sexual traits are subject to evolution just like anything else. anyone who says sex or gender is a spectrum is an uneducated moron. Anyone on pol who says women are mentally inferior and otherwise different are hypocrits of they also meme gender as something not real, as if minds are sexually dymorphic they too will be subject to the same mutations and quirks.

these attitudes are only common because muh dugeneracy and retarded leftie snowflakes. anyone with an ounce of understanding of evolution knows distinct categories are hard to come by in the whole tree of life.

tell me about it, I was in a political science class with everyone ganging up on me when I came up with it and it shut all thier asses right up

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender#Gender_taxonomy

no

men have a dick

women have a uterus

without those two things, humanity ceases to exist. there is no hybrid male/female.

No.

There are an (effectively) infinite amount of genders. This is why the concept of 'gender' is useless, and we should stick to sex.

Educate yourselves.

sexuality is a spectrum everyone is on it
even (You) might like it if you sit up on it

and yet that is bullshit. They where born without limbs, all traits are inheritable. you can say we don't describe it that way, but that is arguing semantics at that point, evolution and mutation occur and sexual dimorphic traits do not have a special exemption, nor do traits that appear negative somehow don't count. all traits are created equal. It's the environment that determines usefullness.

If you think it id please kill your self.

Hold up, you're going to have to define your terms.

Gender, the made up definition that means whatever LGBTWTFBBQ wants it to mean at any given time?

Or Gender, which means biological sex?

Because the first one is not real, it is literally a subculture's social construct. I guess they often talk about how it has a spectrum, but since it isn't real, who gives a shit?

And the second one is a definitive no. There are males, there are females, and there is nothing in between. Hermaphrodites, and non-XY/XX chromosomal groupings are not a part of healthy human biology and therefore do not constitute a gender.

No. You're either male or female, but people of either gender can have elements of the other. That doesn't make you some kind of in-between gender, though. You're still either a guy or a girl.

>There is no hybrid male/female.

Yet

If you define gender as a set of personality traits common to a biological sex then yes. That's why we can say that a woman is a butch because she likes work about raw strenght or a man is a sissy for caring a lot about his manicure. However, that doesn't change the fact that a personality trait is either male or female, so the spectrum is just about how many male or female traits someone has. As you may have noticed, that is only about personality, saying your personality is female doesn't change your biological sex. I don't understand why people care about gender so much since the only concrete thing is the biological sex. It doesn't matter if you act like a faggot, you are still a man. Too bad that the 'cure' for this is about pretending that reality is subjective and chopping your dick off and pumping yourself full of hormones. It's like curing a hypochondriac by giving them the illness they think they have.

Arguing in terms of gender is where the right went wrong. We should ignore gender and just talk about biological sex.

neither are real you moron, theyre both convinient words that categorize a bunch of like things, not rules that restrict nature

Spectrum of faggotry
Penis- man
Vagina- woman
No dick- Canadian

>men have a dick
guess casteration victims aren't men?
>women have a uterus
gues those born with atrophyed or no uterus are not women then? what are they? men?

>that pic
if it's male on one side and female on the other it doesn't change the gender

it's not arguing semantics, a "spectrum" distribution and "bimodal" distribution imply completely different things, also your posts are so full of pseudo-intellectual gobble-de-gook it is almost impossible to even understand what you are saying

spoken like a true faggot snowflake

"i'm desirable and beneficial ... somehow"

Gender cannot be a spectrum because gender does not exist.

No.

His name was Seth Rich.

>words aren't real
>biological sex isn't real

You're literally retarded. And I assure you, the retardation you experience is quite real.

No. Barring legitimate physical and genetic defects

There are men and there are women.

Masculinity and femininity exist on a spectrum and all people display a mixture of both. And gender roles do vary to a degree between cultures.

But gender itself is fixed. There are males and there are females. That's it.

Everything is rooted in biology. Does the male sparrow gather food while the female warms the egg because it is a "social construct" for them to do so?

Does the female lion hunt the gazelle while the male lazes about because of the patriarchy?

FUCK ANIME
THIS IS POL FOR FUCKS SAKE

Is there a letter BETWEEN x and y?

even more then that , gender is a behavioral expression of and identity based on the person's culture .
since each person behaves differently and his life and thus influence from culture is different then we can conclude that each person's gender is distinct .

therefor there's no point in even talking about gender and since genders are associated with sex why not just talk about something empirically measurable like a person's sex instead ?

Did you know that, historically, when Jews would criticize the host nation (in order to subvert the traditions and morals of the social hierarchy as well as allow forward advancement for fellow Jews) they would place the critique within a "scientific" framing.
This is because science is very clearly the modern form of rational thought, logic, reason, and accuracy. If cleverly described enough, any critique could remain unquestioned. It's science, after all!!

Yes, it's a very very very very limited spectrum, so limited that it only allows 2 values.

Is being dead or alive a spectrum.
I suppose if I have impaled you, and you're dying but not dead yet that would make you...
....still alive.

Binary

clearly you are a shit troll, but since I think it is important to understand that this response exemplifies a misunderstanding of "principle vs circumstance"

(this is on gay marriage but the idea is still rleevant)

youtube.com/watch?v=BMYBl2uzXEw

I wish we could break past the bickering and start focusing on what is actually ON the X and Y chromosomes, it's so fascinating.

Multuple MAOA variants, neanderthal dystrophin, Y-DNA A00, etc.

Having one or more Y makes you a man. Not having any Y makes you a woman. Still two genders.

>lets abandon science
may as well let the jews win you retard. without it we are just pompous psuedointellectual animals.

you are wrong, there is a point in discussing gender with impreical measurements. You are correct that most of my political leaning peers have been swallowed by irrelevant genderqueer bullshit.

the whole point of a spectrum in the first place, is it's a spectrum! not a fucking checkerbord of distincts.

>durr political debate
no. gay marriage is a human right nigger.
principles and circumstances are irrelevant here. we are discussing science.

Does this look like a spectrum to you?

No, but gender dysphoria (a strong desire to e the opposite sex) exists and is also, ironically enough, proof that gender is not a spectrum.

>this comment

thus proving that you are indeed a shit troll

it's a shame, I love a good argument

No it's not, being an very effeminate man doesn't make someone a genderfoxqueer demifluid girl, it just makes them a massive faggot. A massive faggot is still a man

you'll never get anyone to do this, they only care about gender and chromosomes so much as it props up their fragile world beliefs, they are sexist as fuck, but how many of these people who think women are mentally inferior do you actually believe are interested in the scientific rational for such a thing? of the additional questions and discoveries it poses?

pol is one big echochamber

guess that means you better change the birth certificate of everyone with androgen insensitivity

You either have a penis or a vagina
Is correct as well.

roygbiv is a spectrum and each one has a name

what are the names of the genders in the gender spectrum?

no you don't, or you would reply within the context of the topic, isntead of trying to politicise

>proof that gender is not a spectrum
mental illnessis not proof of anything

i.e. schizo's aren't proof that all human's have multiple personalities

Prenatal androgen insensitivity causes fetuses to develop into XY females.

shut up shut up!!!

its proof of the opposite actually, because those with gender dysphoria have a list of other feminine mental attributes, including the ability to pick up and recieve certain pheremones associated with women.

I identify as a man who feels that people who think gender is on a spectrum, are fucking retards.

Personality is a spectrum. The gender spectrum is just an act of mental gymnastics in an effort to produce more special snowflakes who can be victims to a system.

The only "proof" you need is in your pants. If it's long and snakey you're a man, if it resembles two pancake you're a woman. The end.

How come the left uses animals showing homosexual tendencies as proof that homosexuality is natural, but won't acknowledge how animals have strictly defined gender rolls for males and females as proof of their only being 2 genders in nature?

it would be a spectrum if there was a way to measure it and place a person on this spectrum. since there is none theres no reason to talk about it .

im not saying the idea of gender is useless , im saying its nowhere near scientifically developed enough for anyone outside behavioral psychology research circles to talk about .

its useful in animal research mostly , you can operationally define certain characteristics as male or female and see how certain genes\environmental conditions change gender expressions.

>no science to back it up
>literally only "the feels"

No. Youre male or female. Now whether you have a mental disorder is another thing completely

>BUT SEX ISNT GENDER

retards playing semantics

try reassigning your chromosomes. you fucking faggots.

>reading comprehension

What I said in my post is that Jewish tactics to subvert the social order are given a scientific 'flavor.' This is to make it seem more believable to the masses, but it will not stand under any form of scrutiny.

I did not say to abandon actual science. "There are no races. Just the human race" is one such example that is demonstrably wrong.

see just because something exists doesn't make it universal. Most gender roles are also bullshit. do you think for most of human history women had a home to manage? what home nigger?

This "gender is a spectrum" crap actually infuriates me, frankly. I believe that these people who "identify" as some gender that doesn't actually fucking exist need actual help, as in mentally. They're confused and delusional and need mental health care. This Leftist ideological garbage only enables their delusions.

If gender is a spectrum, then why do transgenders seek to be explicitly the opposite sex, instead of settling for some middle section of spectrum. Were it a spectrum, there should be some middle ground, yet in the vast majority of society, transsexuals included, there is no middle ground.

200% agree my dude

>pheremones

pls tell me more

Nope,

Because while it will imply that in the middle there are hermaphrodites,
Fags and lesbians and other degenerates (traps, trannies) would be at random places of spectrum

If it is, it is not one dimensional.

See how is sex not gender? I dont understand how people think like that

Extra chromosomes leads to potatoes, not extra genders.

Does the Pope shit in the woods?

neat, didn't know the right worked for the jews. gender is a spectrum. science supports it. It isn't just some half researched field. it's litterally part and parcel of evolution that between every arbitrary grouping we name is a continuum of individual variance. Gender falls into this just as sex and just as species.

>If gender is a spectrum
gender is not a spectrum.
there is male and there is female. besides that, there's mental illness (i.e. gender dysphoria, ect) but those people who suffer form such disorders are an extreme minority (0.2% of the population)

Give it 50 years or so and that may be a possibility.
That's if brain transplants don't get there first.

cut it in half, yes
There are feminine males and masculine females
For example, a baker is more feminine than a blacksmith
A girl who likes to shoot bows is more masculine than a girl who likes to bake

>vast majority
>no middle ground
this is like bitching that your cut is too small, so it's not a cut.

Yeah as someone who works in genetics, Id love to see your scientific proof

its whatever you want it to be it seems. Which means I will call it irrelevant and only ask for what sex a person is.

>all traits are created equal. It's the environment that determines usefullness
So what you are saying is that it is somehow wrong to categorize traits based on their usefulness in the carrier's survival?

I am arguing against gender being a spectrum, not for it.
Even the majority of the mentally ill view gender as binary.

And then they commit suicide when they could have been rescued.

But it's lots of money for the "gender pathways" industry.

And it's so politically incorrect that the psychology establishment has been made to scrub their literature of anything against it.

The worst is the poor kids who are given hormones, permanently screwing up their development.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_transsexuality
blanchard's opinions are bullshit, but they do have some explanitory power even if half of it is 100% garbage

Well men actually do have a piece of DNA that women do not.

BUT!

I have a feeling that X linked mosaicism occurs in the female brain so they might have different advantages, and i would bet that they are complementary (gasp) to whatever is on the Y, and as they pass down, the allele that fits the environment better is more likely, as the other one is likely silenced epigenetically

There is so much we do not know, and most of it is far more interesting than emotionally driven hegelian traps

it isn't

>do you think for most of human history women had a home to manage?
The women managed the children you moron, homes came later and women began to manage those as well because it was where the children were.

Is OP a faggot?

Behavior and Character are a spectrum , perhaps sexuality , Not gender .two set of pipes ! get don't confuse genitals with personal Identity.

I could have selected more of you to respond to, but maybe enough of you will read this anyway.You are all being very obtuse, and it's mostly because of a junk version of scientific realism that you've inherited.

Gender does not necessarily mean anything to do with chromosomes. When people were called masculine or feminine for most of the history of those terms there was no knowledge of chromosomes, so that cannot possibly be the only or definitive meaning of the term. When people talk about 'gendering' they're talking about the cultural practices of expecting/demanding/encouraging certain roles based on sex.

What do you think happens when the little dicks on here who's daddies bullied them start calling people "low test betas." What do you think is happening there? Their masculinity is being called into question. Implied is that some are more manly and some are less manly. Same thing but reverse when a woman is called a "bull dyke" or a "tomboy"; the implication is that they are behaving in ways that we don't associate with or encourage in their sex. It's right there in our language, right there in the language used by polonians.

we are in agreement then; gender is male or female, not a spectrum.
the vast majority of the mentall ill (i.e trannies) want to be known as either a male or female, not something inbetween

underrated

Actually, many are doing just that. I don't know any statistics but from browsing my friend's tumblr there are actually more people going trans and identifying as pseudo-genders than there are identifying as simply trans-male or trans-female, for example, "demiboy".

>I work in genetics
>I don't know what mutation is
your arbitrary biases don't change reality nigger. sexual traits are inheritable, they vary between person to person and are subject to evolution. this creates individuals who do not fall neatly into a perfect square hole. It's effects are in every level of biological expression. just as you would expect if it was caused by mutation

castrated males don't have their dicks cut off you retard.
And women with no uterus are a nature's mistake. Maybe just round them up somewhere and put a bullet in their head with the other trannies would be doing a good thing for humanity

faggot is still male

>What I said in my post is that Jewish tactics to subvert the social order are given a scientific 'flavor.' This is to make it seem more believable to the masses, but it will not stand under any form of scrutiny.

>gender is a spectrum. science supports it. It isn't just some half researched field. it's litterally part and parcel of evolution that between every arbitrary grouping we name is a continuum of individual variance

hmmm. really activates the ole almond.

What is your definition of gender as you would like to define it?
What "science" supports the concept of a spectrum of genders in the animal kindom and specifically in humans?

Sort of. Sex is a biological classification scheme based both on genetics and sexual dimorphism, but cases exist where neither sex can be clearly assigned, like people who are XO, or XXY, or androgen insensitive.

Gender, on the other hand, is how society collectively understands and categorizes people and behavior according to sex. Although often stereotypes, these help people to navigate complex societies in which they have to try to determine, roughly, the rough likely place of everybody else they will ever meet within it, whether or not they are a threat, and all of this for everybody they ever come across - and all of this with little more than a second of visual contact, or a sentence or two of speech if very lucky, to guide them.

For both of these, only "male" and "female" have enough members for a common set of attributes to be developed in a person's mind, so there can only be said to be these two in any meaningful sense.

However, it is also possible for people to be "neither", and this concept isn't new; a classic example being eunuchs, who in many cultures were seen as not being the same gender as intact men (e.g., the Bible).

There is also evidence that the apparent biological basis of gender - in utero hormone exposure profile, the thing that makes people "feel" male or female, and separately determines sexual orientation - is somewhat variable as well (hence bisexuality).

So to answer your question, there are only two plausibly useful classification categories, "M" and "F", but "neither" clearly also exists because of people born intersex, both physically and mentally. "Neither" isn't really a gender, but it is possible for a person to plausibly be neither male nor female.

Gender just means being masculine of feminine and in that sense it's a spectrum.

A dude that cuts his dick off might be a very effeminate man, but he is not a woman