Are college degrees a meme, or are Tradess a meme?

Should I just become an electrician or would I fuck up my life and pay doing that.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yC9b-rh6ywE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends, are you going to get formal training or just get hired by small company to apprentice? You can make good money but the work can be grueling. On the upside you will generally never deal with the public, which is why I enjoy electrical work.

Life is a meme

Jobs themselves are a meme. The problem is that shit is too expensive.

Probably from union.

Im worried if I choose that path that I may get fucked in life tho, also maybe fucked out of good pay in my career.

Dont care about gruelling work.

woah.....

>Im worried if I choose that path that I may get fucked in life tho, also maybe fucked out of good pay in my career.
what did you mean by this?

idk like getting stuck at a certain pay level for life

Start your own contracting company or go into management after several years if you're worried about pay. Become a site superintendent or something.

If you go union, you can expect the usual middle management politics found in most other corporate companies. The upside is the training, structure, prevailing wage and benefits. You will do shit work for average 4 years until you cert and become journeyman. Commercial jobs are cluster fucks and you will stay on projects for upwards of months at a time.

that can happen anywhere. I already topped out in my union. Now I have to get my shit together if I want to make more.

Don't think that can't happen in some shit hole salary job because it happens even moreso than the union

Best thing to do is start your own business or consult.

You can make good money as an electrician depending on where you work
I'm currently studying to become an electrician myself and I aim to get a job aboard a ship or maybe on an oil rig in the north sea
Also electricians are in fairly high demand as far as I know as more and more things need electricity so you could help contribute to society by working as one

what would you say the most you could possibly make through the electrician trade a year.

Listen up kiddo, stick with the union, earn your way and you will be making $45 an hour in less than 5 years. That figure is not the ceiling, but average base pay for journeyman on union job in West coast.

I don't know where you are but that depends entirely on what you do.

Our experimental engineering electricians for development and testing top out at $39 per hour. If you are working on the production line for modifications you will get overtime and can probably earn $110K to $125K a year but its a lot of hard work. That is an example of a topped out pay for hourly.

To make that kind of money in Salary you have to be a production manager (or operations manager). You don't start seeing $200K till you are director level with 20+ years of experience and a masters.

I look at it like this: become really fucking good at what you do and ditch any plan to go salary. Consult for $500k and specialize. Companies like mine pay out the ass for consultants.

In general, how stable is it? Ive also heard mixed things on free time people have away from the job.

>tfw orangutan so don't have to worry about college or electrical stuff.

You are a free agent in the union. You will be called upon by different companies to complete contracts. As I mentioned earlier these jobs can be a months work or three years. You can also be permanently hired by the companies, which is a bonus to avert not working full time year round.

If you have to ask it meens you have no real interests and don't belong in college.

Life is a meme (its a hologram in the electro magnetic spectrum).

Do it if you're under 35. Union job pays with seniority, not merit. Big money later if you stick with it.

Im 18

Both. Neither. It's complicated.

People legit need to take courses of study that they can live off of. We don't need people who only know how to analyze fiction or gender roles in film.

The reason more people don't want to do trades is that you work with/for dipshits for a few decades and then hurt yourself and die in agony and poverty. People with degrees can work until they drop dead. Also, 90% of "shortages" in any labor market are fictional and used to justify low wages. Trucking companies don't have a driver shortage, they have a shortage of drivers willing to work for bullshit. The trades shortage is inflated.

On the other hand...

Companies need to be less risk-averse when it comes to hiring. Ever notice how seemingly every industry has companies bitching about not being able to find anyone? That's because they refuse to hire anyone who isn't 300% qualified and can do the job perfectly on day 1. That's what needing a specific degree and needing 3-5 years of experience for an entry-level position is. Having a marketing degree doesn't actually make you even a little better at marketing. Ever met a creative marketing major, or one that was actually good with people?

Also, though, people with less marketable degrees need to learn to develop skills and sell themselves. I got into my field without having a degree in it by working hard and staying focused, building skills and experience. When potential employers ask about what my degree (history) does for me, though, I'm ready to rattle off some really good shit about how it makes me right for the job in question. You can study what you want, but either pick up a minor or accept that you need to be smarter than average to do well.

Trades are a good way to make money and live a good life, and are super necessary. Not everyone is going to be an academic. If you're smart, you'll live well in a trades career.

trades:
>low prestige
>you will be physically injured and live in pain the rest of your life
>union labor is going to die under trump
>you are pretty much a subhuman ("blue collar") if you do these

>I already topped out in my union

HahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaHahahahahahahahahahahahahaahha

This user ate the bluepill

Do what you enjoy first then figure out how to make the most income from it

Notice I did not say 'money'

Compensation is more than cash.

Benefits, insurance, total package stuff

Dont let a retarded society dictate what makes vyou happy

pls stop

Learn a trade until you decide what you want to do with your life.
Maybe you'll just like being an electrician.
Maybe being an electrician makes you want to design some new electrical device.
If you have no idea what you would go to college for, with no plan, don't go to college.

Depends. Hard sciences are a good route as are the high-ranking professions (doctor, engineer, etc) that require more than a B.A. you can also make good money in a trade but the working conditions often suck and the risk of death or injury is higher.

If you go to college and major in a liberal arts degree you're going to end up teaching. I majored in History and that's what i teach (along with government.) but that's what I've always wanted to do so i got what i wanted. Don't expect to major in history and actually become a professional historian though, or a gender studies major and get some fantasy cushy job. Most likely you'll end up teaching or Starbucks

only retards injure themselves m8

>tfw I paid my way through college

literally why do normies ree about tuition? I worked full-time every summer, didn't work during school time, lived on my own, and graduated with no debt

>learn a trade
>save money
>once you have savings start going to community college part time
>decide if you want to pursue degree
>have trade to fall back to

how does one actually get into "consulting" work?

It takes a lot of hard work and there are several different ways you can go about it. The easiest is to be smart already and use your STEM/Business degree to get an entry level job in a firm.

The way I want to go about it, I would use my network in the industry to provide solutions that the big companies don't have the capability to do themselves. Many companies farm out work to reduce insurance liabilities. Offer yourself as a consultant to guide them to make the best decision in farming out that work and you can get some real money that way.

you made 30k a year working full time during summer only? Fuck off, retard.

youtu.be/yC9b-rh6ywE

It is all memes

this

Hard question user.
First know who you are and what you are capable of, choose a career path that suits your personality. Getting these baselines correct is key, as you can end up unhappy for a large portion of your life.
When you do decide on a career you need to be smarter along with other attributes, than 80% of people in the field. You need this to suceeed in the dominance hierarchies in the workplace e.g. promotions.

Do you want to work on electrical stuff and not be in an office all day and have a decent chance of running your own business some day? No? want to sit in an office and office politics your way to upper management? Better at kissing ass and faking it?

It all depends. Id have been far better off getting a vocational certification than pursuing a finance degree.