Why is studying Philosophy so derided?

Why is studying Philosophy so derided?

It's an incredibly difficult field to get your head around and is a real litmus test in determining the truly curious from those who just go through life as dull automatons.

Personally, I also love exchanging philosophical bon mots with my friends, although I try to stay away from anything related to deconstruction (Derrida).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X8aWBcPVPMo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I mean you can get a philosophy degree if you want, I'm sure you're coworkers at McDonald's will find your views interesting brother.

Hello,

Return when you are an addition to society.

Best wishes,
Engineering student.

t. mindless automatons

I pity your ilk.

It's mostly mad STEMfags, but also the fact that most philosophy courses are barely anything more than marxist doctrine and abstract semiotics juggling.

I studied philosophy at university

it's derided because most people are at university are there to get qualified for a job, not to learn

also there's no real jobs aside from ((((((((((academia)))))))))))) doing philosophy, uni costs money, so basically you're going into debt in order to not get a job and pay it off

you can learn everything you learn in university, on your own, and probably more efficiently

tldr uni is worthless for everything

I only studied because my dad payed for it and said do what interests you

I am now the most qualifed worked in my roading crew

roading is good btw, I get 37 an hour for driving a digger

Philosophy makes a great pre-law school major, FYI

Good god, you went from studying philosophy to doing manual labour?

> It's an incredibly difficult field to get your head around and is a real litmus test in determining the truly curious from those who just go through life as dull automatons.
Very true. But I would rather just continue reading it in my spare time.

Depends where you guy. In Australia you can pick the units you want to do.

Hello,

Return when you are an addition to society and learn some fucking philosophy.

Best wishes,
Physicist

I thought you were supposed to take rhetoric

Anyone can be a philosopher. But 'studying' philosophy is retarded. Some people will just have a better insight than others.

He went from having a head on his shoulders to someone with a head on their shoulders who gets paid.

We live in a totally anti-intellectual society, but philosophers are partly to blame. Post-modernism and the tendency to ask stupid questions as if they're meaningful killed philosophy.

youtube.com/watch?v=X8aWBcPVPMo

?

Are you one of those people who look down on manual labour?

I know a guy doing philosophy but using that to get into law school. Will that help him?

>Why is studying Philosophy so derided?
Probably because the only thing a philosophy degree is good for is being head Barista at Starbucks.

What is more meaningful in life than performing a function? You see? I'm a defeatist nihilist and a cynic. See? Since there is no god for one to submit to, there is no system of values that would give absolute meaning to your existence. You could adhere to ideals and values, but such construction are faulty and incompatible with your animalistic nature. So the only option left is suicide. But suicide itself is not a solution since it would have been preferable to not be born at all than to live and die. There is a void of consciousness before and after your existence, and after death the distinction would be impossible for you to understand for you and the universe you constructed are no longer. But by experiencing consciousness you subject yourself to the suffering that is implicit for all conscious mortal and non-omniscient beings. So while I do think that the only purpose in life is suffering, suicide is a futile endeavour for it's ends both the self and suffering. Why bother doing anything, owning material things and interacting with people? Well I'm an engineer in training because math and science are distracting me from my torment. So call me an ignorant. Whatever is your approach the terminus point is the same for both of us.

before enlightenment:
>chop wood, carry water

after enlightenment:
>chop wood, carry water

Checks out.

People go to uni to learn how to gain money, and function properly in society, in order to get what they need. They don't go here to be indoctrinated in cultural marxism.

Saying that you cannot become an intellectual if you don't go to uni is btw extremely pretentious. Everything is available outside, books, and now internet. And of course the most important (not to be found at uni): the will to do hard work and study; dedication.

most philosophy students hate studying logic and have great difficulty constructing or following a precise , rigorous argument.

they generally study philosophy in order to write woolly, unsubstantiated opinion pieces and construct imagined frameworks of how the physical world and beings which inhabit it work without ever gathering empirical evidence in a systematic way and testing it to support their imagined frameworks.

>Click here

Problem with studying philosophy (and not other fields as much or more as well) is people get trapped in beautiful, but purely theoretical worldviews that are incompatible with reality.

So many people are communist because the philosophy made sense to them and lack the knowledge of economics to understand why it's a fantasy.

I pity you.

Philosophical question do not examine the world. They essentially examine language.

As a french living in the uk, who had philosophy classes as all french students do in college, I see a big cultural difference in great britain regarding philosophy. Philosophy seems almost something taboo at times here for me. For a brit it is a violent thing to discuss and debate an idea, a concept. It's isn't proper nor polite, it's rough and cruel. I often feel that brits avoid this type of exchange, they can't do the Voltaire thing of respecting the right to voice a different opinion, they have a hard time reconciling after a disagreement.

Philosophy clashes directly with the political correctness enforced in the British culture. That's why it's derided imo.

And what is language an extension of?

>implying you need a system to observe how the world works

You understand the implications from, what you just said? If we take this premise as truth, than there is also no truth to science, since it's tought and preserved in language and is impossible without mathematics.

In that very Moment you have more, than just isolated incidents you observed. You already have build your system.

Spot on Frenchie.

Political Correctness in this country is almost awe inspiringly fucked up. We cannot even say the word 'black' in some places, regardless of context, because there's always some fucktard that will get offended and deliberately assume negative / racial connotations.

>Anyone can be a philosopher
Dishonest argumentation, of course you could find a definiens including everybody, but we saying everyones truth claims are equaly good is stupid.

Language is a system of symbols that we use in order to complete all manners of diverse tasks.

Truth, in science, is very rigourously defined. Science contains both the definition and the method for finding truth. There is no problem with this kind of truth.

But what does it mean to search for the truth of truth, some transcendental truth? It means nothing, language cannot accomodate it.

There is a relatively short and accessible essay by Wittgenstein named "On Certainty" that somewhat toucheson the subject.

Roughly paraphrasing Nicholas Nassim Taleb:

One should not study philosophy. They must have philosophy thrust upon them in order to solve a problem, otherwise the field on its own is worthless.

You're talking about programming languages.

No, our ordinary language.

Don't. You are buried in the same type of shit I am. If you believe in God, and it turns out that God is not real than the only addition to your life was that the hope of absolution alleviated some of your pain. Otherwise if there is a god (something I cannot prove or disprove) then of God allows hell to exist, he is a tyrant, and if there is a heaven it should be universally accessible. And if there is an all forgiving God, what is the meaning of this existence. The only meaning you have in your life is social. Probably this os the reason cunts turn into sjw's. I would go completely 14 88 if I wasn't a sloth. I prefer apathy.
And for OP. Regardless of the utility and validity of philosophy, while in uni you will only be exposed to feminist and marxist bullshit anyway.

im a philosophy dropout who is a landscaper now

Implying I don't have to learn physics to a certain degree in uni (and study individually concepts that are not fundamental to my work).
Implying that most physics students, don't pursue engineering careers after graduation. Only a minority have a career in theoretical physics.

>Truth, in science, is very rigourously defined
>defined
You are makeing a normative judgement. The claim I made still stands.
>But what does it mean to search for the truth of truth, some transcendental truth?
Either there is truth or there isn't. Mathematics is certainly a language and there are axioms, which you have to agree with in order to use it. Science is based on M.. So either you say that language can have a realation to truth or it can't, but it also means that Science is either also true or it's just some random signs.
>On certainty
Yes, I know and I've read it. It also written in a language.

>It's

>It's an incredibly difficult field to get your head around and is a real litmus test in determining the truly curious from those who just go through life as dull automatons.
If you're TRULY curious then you don't need to go to college and study philosophy.

All the material is already there. If you can't read it and draw conclusions for yourself without being specifically told what's going on, you're just a common dipshit aren't you?

Joke degree.

Philosophy has been dead since the birth of psychology and psychoanalysis with Jung and Freud. Nietzche is really the last philosopher worth reading. That's why. Everybody should study philosophy, but not as a major in Uni.
I have a pretty great job, you aren't very Sup Forums-worthy if you haven't delved yourself in Greek philosophy and worked your way up. Get the fuck out.
>He literally hasn't done anything with his life yet
>Is probably 17
>Tells others to return when they are an addition to society, something he isn't as of the moment of posting

Because you can do philosophy in your spare time, it's not an employable skill.

Haha
Nicely done Sir

This is what my counselor always told me too

Problem is I didn't sign up for philosophy because I wanted to be a lawyer. I signed up for philosophy because I tripped on mushrooms and decided that I didn't care about money or getting a good job I just wanted to discover the true nature of reality

3.5 years later I figured out I screwed myself and dropped out. I didn't have the motivation to even finish my final semester

Because it's a useless degree.
I mean it's good for your intellect, but in the real
world, all that knowledge is non applicable to the excruciating minutia of every single daily event.

>Didn't even have the motivation
Problem found.

Because critical thinking or elevated understanding of life/culture/thought doesn't make anyone rich and certainly doesn't lend itself to keeping the status quo

>Either there is truth or there isn't.

There is truth, but it's a word before it is a fact.

>So either you say that language can have a relation to truth or it can't

Or the question is completely meaningless, why do you think we need to extract truth from language when truth is itself language.

>Yes, I know and I've read it. It also written in a language.

The genius of Wittgenstein is that he attempts to show you, rather than tell you.

How do you learn philosophy on your own? It all sounds very interesting, but it's such a big field, and it all seems to build on itself in layers.

You can not be on Sup Forums if you are a minor. Try again.
> and you are implying that philosophers are not children themselves
Philosophy courses are redundant in this day and age because every assertion of note has been conceptualised already. Philosophers are just reiterating the same shit over and over again. While studying it might be an addition at an individual level. Trying to do research in purely theoretical philosophy is futile. The same goes for logic. Both of them are finished products and are worthless as a course in uni but great things to study individually. The only way to expand the understanding of what it is human is through psychological and neurological analysis. Philosophy ain't gonna develop any further.

wonder why none of these comments mentions the ridiculously high earning rate of philosophy majors compared to other B.A.s

>You can not be on Sup Forums if you are a minor. Try again.
Only a minor would say this, as if there's some kind of magical forcefield keeping literal and mental children like yourself from posting here.

Understanding history and culture and the ways in which thinkers of their eras influenced society is a huge part of learning about yourself and how we ended up in the here-and-now, kiddo.

Manual labour is honest work, and is better for society than lawyers.

pasta/10

Refer to thisI didn't argue that that information is useless. But your formal education shouldn't be something that anyone with some free time can acquire. Studying philosophy is a wonderful thing. Having a career in philosophy makes you a parasite. Anyone should know it.

Only idiots berate philosophy.

see, Learn to read you underage cunt. Come back in about 6 years when you're old enough to post here.
>Everybody should study philosophy, but not as a major in Uni.

Then we are in agreement.

>So their children's children have the right to twerk, take estrogen hormones and convert to Islam

John Adams was a cuck.

>Why is studying Philosophy so derided?
I don't know. I'm not saying it's inherent to the subject, but it seems to attract a lot of pretentious pseudo-intellectuals who want a degree that makes them sound smart but lacking the IQ points for STEM.

He's Australian. We have a culture that has a mix of tall poppy syndrome and also holds the tradie in higher esteem over professions in the arts and sciences.

Having a knowledge of it is important to make rational decisions but actually studying it in school is stupid as fuck because most of it is an excuse to teach certain viewpoints with bias and it's useless in most career fields.

better than being unqualified for any sort of labor like you will be in perpetuity you pseudointellectual drone

STEM degrees don't make you sound smart anymore, it isn't 1980.

>you can learn everything you learn in university, on your own, and probably more efficiently

No. This opinion must stop being presented to people by other, wrong, people. If you don't yet know the material you can't form a more efficient course for learning that material than others who know the material already.

>I didn't have the motivation to even finish my final semester
idiot.

Depends on the field. The point stands regardless: philosophy sadly attracts the wrong kind of people.

i majored in philosophy after taking a class on phenomenology....

I thought it was bullshit but realized it is a different to prove (or well argue) that it is.

too dumb for chemistry or physics I kept on.

Its mostly horseshit and I think a good history//summary book is the way to go.

Roger Scruton say.

derrida is literal nonsense.

so is the (((Frankfurt School))) and post-Structuralists..

its all 'I have a worldview'

a worldview is not philosophy- its a theory in which Everything is shoehorned

>a worldview is not philosophy
All of it is a "world view". Show me the philosophical framework that doesn't assume some basic premises before it starts building up arguments...