Life in Britian

Hey Brit Sup Forums I'm a lonely, 23 year old neet with a degree in cyber security. I was just wondering what kind of job opportunities within the governmental sector I could get into with zero actual work experience but a degree and what is the current political climate towards Americans? im looking to move there permanently, any suggestions on a safe place for a libertarian American neet?

bump

labour will win

>cyber security
Theoretical or can you actually find and use exploits?

I can find and plug never really bothered to learn to exploit them

This should probably be posted on Sup Forums.

To be honest it's hard to get decent jobs here without experience even if you have a degree.
We do though have job roles that are advertised to people distinctly coming out of university hence would be more suited to you.
Another option is to do volunteer/apprenticeship work as to get some cheap experience to allow you to move on.

As for opinions on Americans, don't take credit for anything you didn't actually make/do or act overly pretentious or giddy and you'll be fine.

I like that you're libertarian, we need more people who will counter the authoritarian mentality that pretty much every major party has here...

It's still unlikely, the conservatives are still ahead just not as ahead as before.
As a libertarian you should be hoping both lose.

Sup Forums has been slowing down and figured i get a quicker and more straight forward answer here.

its the same over here in terms of job opportunities without experience or knowing someone.

where would you recommend looking for a place? I was looking at Essex.

Is there any form of Libertarian party in the UK?

You wouldn't get a job in the UK Government sector as you're a yank. You'll probably need to get DV clearance and they only give that to British nationals.

t. Has DV clearance.

Could you please fuck off back to ? Sage.

Pick a company, find their exploits, tell them and offer your services. If they knock you back, record their recognition of your service and use it as a reference of sorts.

I'm more British than you Ahmed

Fair enough, I've noticed that as well.

I don't have much of a rundown of where the best jobs are in this country but our network infrastructure tends to focus more southern so I wouldn't recommenced anything north of Birmingham(Not that you'd want to be anywhere near Birmingham anyway.)
I live in Bedfordshire and I know Milton Keynes is a bit of a hotspot for general computing jobs.

Either way though you'd be better off with Essex yeah, especially considering how Cisco is not far from parliament.

work for gchq

There's less importance placed on internships (in most fields) in the UK than in America (although they obviously help) so you shouldn't let your lack of work experience necessarily worry you. You'll be best served applying to the graduate programs most companies run although I expect you'll need to check if they accept applications from outside of the UK first. And I'd get on it quick because the intakes for most of these jobs start in September and run on a yearly cycle.

thank you for the information!! I was actually looking at Bedfordshire as a possible place to move to but it just didnt seem like as good of a fit as Essex would be.

i hope Sup Forums gets an uptick from all this fcc and net neutrality shit over here.

I've already applied for my visa and been looking around for places that'll hire me. pleasantly surprised by hearing there isnt much value or importance placed on internships and what not over there it's hard to even get internships over here at least where i live

If you want a guaranteed job then London is the place to be

I wouldn't recommend it though, the place is a shithole, as others have said, look for junior and graduate roles. A full on grad scheme might not be a bad shout either.

How easy even is it for Yanks to move here

Don't get me wrong, they are valued and the are a benefit (if you have them) but there's a recognition that most people won't have any or that most people spent their student years working in a pub at the weekends or whatever. Outside of finance, there typically isn't the same MUST HAVE INTERNSHIPS obsession here that you see in the US; firms take graduates on in the understanding that the grad position is probably their first real work experience.

Glad to help.
You're right, Bedfordshire is a bit naff when it comes to IT jobs other than one cisco hub.
Though Milton Keynes as mentioned is in Buckinghamshire, just so you know.

Indeed, It's been a while since I've seen anything enterprise/server related.
You might be in for a bit of a shock broadband wise by the way as we don't have anything like google fibre, the best broadband you can get publicly is 300mbps down, 20mbps up with virgin media only...

easy if done by marriage to a UK citizen. hard if I actually want to work for it.

To add to that, in most places the best you can get is BT/Sky/Plusnet at like 70down 10up

I'm not sure I could live without 1gb up and down.

Do you think immigration from the us to the uk should be made simpler?

Northumberland and Cumbria are absolute beautiful. Besides from the band of Labour constituencies in central Newcastle, the area is over 90% white for 200 miles in every direction & is classic English countryside with villages inbetween. Mostly cheap stone properties.

Not much has changed has changed there since the last mines closed at the end of the 19th century. It has quite high unemployment which is something you may want to look at though.

that looks lovely!!
do you know if its mostly old white folks or more of the younger generation cause if its the old folks I could open a cozy IT shop and repair their computers.

More computer savy people like you here will help bring change though which would be great.

To an extent, I don't agree with free movement but I'd be willing to make the process faster and more efficient system if there's a low chance of people abusing it.
In comparison to lets say European nations, I can imagine the abuse caused would be minimal/negligible if such a deal were struck with America.

Nope, its a mix of both. They certainly aren't cute little retirement villages, they're villages where people actually live and work. Its on the border with Scotland so a lot of opportunities in both countries from there. You could definitely do something with IT in some places.

I go to Cumbria every year and It's mostly 40ish year olds really.

Most housing is rented out of people on holiday and those that are renting are the ones that tend to be old.
Network infrastructure in ridiculously poor in parts there though, that last place I stayed had 2 mega 1.88mbps down, 0.38mbps up, 4G was actually better at 42mbps down, 13.35mbps up...

Fuck off we're full. Plus Only British citizens can work for governmental agencies

i guess it still has that natural beauty. is your countries internet infrastructure that far behind than everyone else?

t-thats my line

16-40 is the main age group in Cumbria, which is absolutely fine for IT. I'm from Northumberland myself, but I commute to areas in Cumbria regularly and "most" housing ibeing rented out to people on holiday is rubbish.

I can list 10 villages off the top of my bed, and then another 10 cities where you could go just off the top of your head. Ulverston would be no different to Newcastle's city center on a good day.

If we're talking about countryside and villages here, that's 80% of the UK's landmass. You could find that 45 minutes away from London and not even know there was an invasion going on near you (though it'd be more expensive).

The atmosphere in the north counties and the countryside culture is the last remnants of what existed pre-WW2. Probably to do with the mine closures like i said.

you spelt Bamburgh wrong, though it's weird how's it's spoken like BamBRough. Can confirm Northumberland is a nice place, it's a little out of the way though, not many cities close by apart from Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle and they are all a good 1/2 hours away.

Yeah I know. I live in Alnwick which is 10 minute drive away from Bamburgh , not sure what the fuck happened there. In fact I worked in Bamburgh for 2 years.

Ah yeah it's one of the most natural locations in England, happens to have England's largest mountain as well.

Certainly behind yours and Scandinavia, don't know about Europe though.
There are plans to have a large infrastructure upgrade soon, that is if the conservatives get in which they stand a very good chance of doing.

If you say so, you're more local after all, admittedly I've never gone further north than Keswick.

i wanna fap to this to make god really uncomfortable

You're right in saying Northumberland is a bit out of the way, definitely. Cumbria has a lot of other options in that case to my knowledge, because of places like Whitehaven.

The outskirts of Newcastle are nice. Villages like Lemington, Throckley, Newcastle, Walker, etc, but you'll always be a 40 minute drive away from Little Mecca in that case.

Well, I've only left the North twice in my life, so perhaps its me who has nothing to compare it to.

I don't think IT would be a problem in Cumbria though. As I said, places like Whitehaven are filled with younger people. Northumberland would probably be worse for that, atleast I'd say so.

>Newcastle
my bad
Newburn* INSIDE the city of Newcastle.

doubt it. your quick response to anger at his comment shows your not white.

your late response shows how lazy you are Ahmed

To be fair I've never visited Whitehaven so I'm not one to talk either.

i just got in this friend thread Pablo, we dont need fruit pickers, we got enough of our own illegals doing those jobs.

What's your budget? I'm just going to say right now, you could get a 3 bedroom house in the North for the same price you'd get a 1 bedroom flat in the south.

you don't even know what you are saying esse i fuck you up real good

I wouldn't bother, its a shithole and overrides the rest of Cumbria which is beautiful.

But for anything like IT, it's god sent.

sorry, im tired not been to sleep yet and ive got work in a few hours, not that you'd know what work is eh? keep LARPing as white, but you'll never be white.

anywhere from 1250 to 1500 not sure how much that would get me in the UK Here its a fair bit

Yank. I'm originally a Londoner and have lived in the North of England for 30 years. If you can get a good job, Northern England is a good place... Yorkshire Dales, Northumberland, Cumbria all good. Dont do any West Coast hippy talk and you be fine.

That's enough to live off a month in the north. It's very cheap here.

its about £1100 at $1500

this I forgot to convert

More than enough if you live within your limits. That's enough to rent a decent place.

Depends where you are, 1bed flats where i live go for about £80 a week to rent, then there is gas/electric + water and then Council/poll tax.

He can do it if he saves up first, but remember we are going through a polorising election.

would it be a necessity to own a car or would biking/walking suffice in that area?

I live in Alnwick, and its quite a low value area. £500 pm for a 3 bedroom house ain't bad at all.
Public transport is very efficient, the metro is great too but based off your own needs, where you are & where you need to get to on a daily basis, it might be best to. I couldn't answer without knowing. Biking is always an option no matter the case.

biking/walking is doable. i bike 5 miles to work and 5 miles back, i have a car but do it to save on Diesel ect. takes me about 30 minutes.
alot of women will judge you if you dont drive. so there is that, plus its helpful if you need to do big shopping or transport stuff, but for that there is always the "Man with a Van" option that you can hire out.

Obviously yeah, w/ tax that wouldn't be enough with £1200 but just to give you an idea of the value in this area.

3bed house where i live is about £700pcm. Coupled with no reliable work around here makes the situation dire. its all about the area you live in.

check out GCHQ lad
they offer bursaries, internships etc with training - if you have a degree in cyber security you could easily wing it through the initial stages of acquiring a bursary - if youre determined.

political climate depends where you are but generally people will find you arrogant and patronising, theyll never tell you this though and over all no one has a problem with americans unless theyre in the same camp as idiots that have a problem with any individual based on where they were born as opposed to how they act.

i'd say pursue the security thing either with GCHQ or MI5 (recruitment is surprisingly easy and they offer great opportunities like learning a language, how to fight, behaviour training etc) and move to Dartford - quiet and nice with beautiful surroundings

£1200 is enough in most areas that have work available, and im talking real work not a Mcjob, outside of a Mcjob you'll earn more. i get about £2000 a month and a work in a factory (after income tax, NI, pension and union fee) [Pension/Union Fee is optional]

ive been looking at jobs in middlesbrough and Sheffield as well as sussex and london

>its all about the area you live in.
Honestly, my best advice is to find an area coupled with natural beauty AND practicality. That's not too difficult to do in the north.
Paying 500 pcm added on with tax, food costs and whatever else i have, i couldn't live off £1200.

>london
Don't. just dont.

Go into private pentesting.
Look for paul Mason.

London is extremely high value. and what this guy says, just don't.

fucking disheartening seeing my friends live 4 males to a house. because good work has dried up where i live.

not looking to live in london but purely work I'd commute to and from. it sounds like a real shit hole now.

Even then, the commute can be so much hassle. There is plenty of opportunity in the north, and there is more coming aswel if re-industrialization happens

It's hell to get in and out of, if you want to drive you gotta pay the Kike Charge, not worth it.

its awful. i've been through my hard times here but wouldn't leave the north of england ever, i'm doing alright at the minute, but i plan on buying plot development land in Berwick eventually. gotta have a plan that works.

unemployment is high here as i said which is something OP needs to consider. it's a beautiful area to live but still have to plan.

You can't work for GCHQ or MI5 if you're not British, duh

london is a shithole mate. you go to london to see its history and then you fuck off back to places that are nice to live in 2017, and exit the 1800s.

Is the metro any better than driving in and out or are the subways just public shit holes like here in the states

This. At least im fairly certain unless they allow contract work like they do here with NSA

The London internal metro is garbage and if you want to commute from out of London on a train, let's just say i'd personally prefer to jump on the tracks than the train.

Sheffield is comfy (at least the south and west suburbs are).

I hear the London tube is a mess but the metro here isn't so bad.

Isn't Sheffield quite high value as a whole?

More options than trains, We have busses that start at 4AM and do routes around the local towns and cities for workers in the morning where i live.

Then there is the option of bicycles if you manage to get a place reletively close to work.

sorry to keep you guys up so late thank you for answering my questions though it is much appreciated!!

its 3PM here lad lel

How do you "find exploits" of companies?
Any general ideas (I know it would differ from company to company)?
Just asking for a friend of course.

thought it was like 2 am or some shit

One of the best places I've lived for buses is on the outskirts of west Newcastle. One bus comes every 10 minutes from 5am to 11pm and takes around 30 minutes to get to the city center.

>my area is now less than 90% white

fuck

feel sorry for you mate, the only constitutency besides central newcastle that is below 90% white is around 50 miles away lel.

Varies, but not really, certainly not compared to anywhere in the south - you can rent a 3-bed house in an OK area for £5-600amonth, more in a really posh area.

Start your own cyber security firm and become a contractor. Good fucking money, easy to do.

Really? That's the same I pay up here in Alnwick for a 3 bedroom house. That's not bad at all.

how's Sussex if anyone knows

Moral of the story in this thread it seems is White Rose > Red Rose and fuck london.

Usually you can't work for government if you don't have nationality. And if you have one but are a foreigner they probably still won't give you job especially in cyber security issues.

Firest result on rightmove has a 1bedroom flat for £575 pcm. That doesn't sound good. Will give it a look over.

thats like a studio apartment right. that doesn't sound too bad desu

Bring back the Kingdom of Northumberia.

Northumbria*

Keep in mind that UK flats are like half the size of US flats for the same number of bedrooms, same with houses

Looks like a cuckshack to be honest but yeah, does seem to be the area its in which is a place called Selsey which looks very high value anyway. There are different some low-to-medium areas in and around Sussex.

The studio apartments here are hellholes. Most of them are Houses that have been converted into single room bedsits.

An actual apartment here will set u back about £800 a month where i live (talking about separate rooms).
If you move there are independant landlords that you can try, in my experience the younger landlords are the better ones to deal with.
They usually just want som1 to live in their place and get money from it without hassle, in return you live somewhere without hassle.