Graduate high school in 2000

>graduate high school in 2000
>realize culture has not changed in any meaningful way since the turn of the century/millenium
>move forward from 2000, all music/art/fashion/political discourse is pretty much the same
>move backward from 2000 and you're in 1983 where life was starkly different in every way
>pic related: women wearing 2000 clothing, doesn't look retro at all
What is going on with time?

The fuck are you talking about?
Pop culture is always changing. You'd have to be an unaware child or out of touch geezer to not see the differences between todays youth and then.

speaking as a homosexual, I disagree

I'd say they look dated

Yeah they aren't dressed as slutty as you usually see today.

you are talking out of your ass

Who is the woman third from the right?

what ?

what do you mean ~?

I mean theres a clear difference between 2000 and 2017 but it seems more like today is just an evolution of that era instead of its own thing like all the decades last century seemed to be.

what do you live in a fucking swamp or something?
saged.

>what are you talking about?
The stuff I literally mentioned in the OP? Think of it this way, the 20th century was like the adolescence of our civilization. Every decade was aesthetically very distinct and shit from 10 years ago always seemed quaint and hilariously out of date, but now you can go back 20 years and that is simply not the case anymore. There was more of an algorithmic progress, but now it's flattening. If I woke up in 1999 it might take me til lunch to notice.

Don't let these newfags get to you, I graduated in 2000 as well. Sure, womens use the internet now and consider themselves "nerds, omg =P), but there was social media back in 2000. Friendster, maybe myspace.

It ain't like there is a new genre of music. There isn't an iconic "look" to our youth. Fratboy in knee shorts and a pastel T-shirt pretending to be an east coast yacht Kennedy isn't new. Maybe women wearing black tights out of laziness? I suppose that is different, in a shockvalue sort of way. One woman wore it in 2007 and looked hot, cause she was hot, and then zebra effect took hold.

So 2017 = tights. Gotcha.

I find my personal fashion to be cutting edge

That does look retro, they look like theyre going to work since thats what young employed women wear.
Girls their age are wearing much less

I thought this exact thing during Obama. That 8 year stretch where it was literally just things that happened on Twitter, Kardashians, GamerGate that felt like 4 fucking years, cars were boring, games were boring, it was that Wii-PS3-PS4 stretch, felt like not much changed, clothes, girls, yeah it was brutal.

Now it feels like a much different world. Like a apocalyptic version of the 1980s.

Fashions are really sexualized compared to 00s. Check out the girls in your OP, at least they are wearing dresses to the knee and pants. Girls will do anything now, like seriously, fuckin thong panties, shorts that ride up the butt, yogas, hooker dresses, its all possible. Guys fashions are always whatever. We have streaming video from anywhere, AI, light robotics, VR, technology is exploding.

Christianity being replaced by Islam, huge culture wars in Europe, halal haram, bombings, hate.

Its so much different now.

I agree 2003-2015 were possibly the most boring 12 year stretch in American history.

>What is going on with time?

1) Harsher copyright meaning any new idea can be immediately sued into nonexistence.

2) Extending from that, a massive consolidation of culture distributors.

2000 seems like only a few years ago to me, but yeah, the current teen girl idols dress far sluttier than this.

I would actually label this pretty modest.

>realize culture has not changed in any meaningful way since the turn of the century/millenium
things changed with computers,internet and shit though

ITT op is a dumb old geezer and hasn't come across an actual young person in a while

>doesn't look retro at all
Jeans aren't as tight fit as they are today, none of them wears leggings, cut of the dress of the 4th one from the left is absolutely outdated, same goes for the nigress' bandana. The bright and shiny trousers of the 5th from the left are something that wouldn't fly today either(they are relatively slim-fit though, still not to the point we have today and the cut at the end of it... what the fuck). 2nd and 3rd, again shiny material, again not modern.

Hairstyles wise 5th is literally 90's, 7th and 9th are shabby as well. The 4th is now dedicated old woman hairstyle, if younger ones want to have short hair they go for pixie cut or even male-style hitlerjugend(but later let the hair in the sides and the back to grow).

Source: I have a highschool in my neighbourhood and date a lot.

>Girls will do anything now, like seriously, fuckin thong panties, shorts that ride up the butt, yogas, hooker dresses, its all possible
They did it back then, yoga pants are new development.

Fashion now is sleeveless and short shorts/torn jeans with massive holes everywhere, chokers and dark makeup
And activewear. Everywhere activewear

>wears leggings
meant yoga pants, leggings are also old stuff

>pic related: women wearing 2000 clothing, doesn't look retro at all
The fuck? That fashion look completely different from today's aesthetic.

I would agree with this. Most girls do not wear tightly fit jeans, yoga pants are the new fashionable leg wear.

This is exactly like grunge 2000s though

Not exactly now it comes in pastel

>tights are new

They were called leotards in the 80s. Only they werent made of sheer material. Maybe in 20 years they will be entirely seethrough.

I think they will end up something more like fishnets but slightly classier

Do you really think the Burgers could have elected THE Donald in the year 2000? The old media would never have let it happen. Sure many of us were online in 2000 but being online was very different and the volume of us online was totally different. So Culture has changed so much.
Fashion has changed majorly. But some of what your saying is sort of true because parts of early 2000's fashion is coming back. Honestly watch news clips from year 2000 average people were dressing differently maybe not AS differently as between then and 1983 but very differently they look dated.

everything has been done before, we are in the autumn of our civilization

The last super nova was Britneny Spears, the social media decentralized attention

No we are in the late spring or early summer. The Roman hegemony lasted for 1000 years and even then lived on in the Byzantine Empire.

USA is going to Celebrate 1/4 millennium of independence in 2026.

Western culture, capitalism, science etc has spread to all but a couple dark corners of the globe.

The mortal enemies of USA/The West the Soviets who were the Carthaginians are now essentially an outpost of western civilization.

I agree with the OP. hardly anything is significantly different.

the islamification of europe, the formation of the european union superstate, and the likely wars that will precipitate from it are going to challenge what western culture really is

moments after the paris accords got nixed, european leaders showed their true feelings for america, and macron is propping himself up as the antitrump

this is a marked shift in attitude, and in the coming years will precipitate a rejection of american culture by europe

That's because you're a man and blind to what fashion is. Of course those looks are indistinguishable from today's fashions to you, you have no awareness of the subject.

Babydoll shirts, flared jeans and satin hiphuggers are NOT current fashion and are incredibly dated. Culture has not stopped evolving, you're just out of touch.

Yes but this is really not the end of the unified West this differences in opinion within a common civilization framework. The USA and France have some major differences but are literally born out of the same period of revolution from the ancient regimes.

This is like well for example McDonalds and Burger King don't get along but at the end of the day they are the same KIND of thing. They share similar CORE values.

The USA, states, municipalities and corporations are all on board with the Paris accord still. "Saving the Planet" will be a thing in every corner of the West no matter what Trump pulls out of or joins in on. This Meme is the perfect example of the Global nature of western corporate and government influence the USA joins like 3-4 countries that aren't on board with the Paris Accord.

Islam is spreading in the west but really SO WHAT? The Roman Empire didn't end when they stopped feeding Christians to Lions and became a Majority Christian Empire.

>tfw no idea what any of those fashion terms mean
that's as close as i can come to not being a faggot on Sup Forums, i guess.

I can tell all decades apart as being distinctive from one another from the 1890s up until about 2000, after which it all blurs into a big shitty mess.

I can't think of musicians who came to fame in the past 15 years or so who've had nearly the kind of cultural traction of the big icons of the 70s/80s. Think about it, you've got Bowie, Clapton, the Stones, the Beatles, AC/DC, all these massive superstar names who are as present in popular culture as they were 40 years ago. I can't think of anyone from the current young generation who I think will be remembered in 40 years.

Western culture stopped evolving somewhere between 1960 and 1980 when the critical/marxis/postmodernist/jewish current reached the tipping point and western civilization became introspective and deconstructive.

This could be more accurate of a time frame, maybe we have resumed changing rapidly and it's just too soon for me to have noticed. You can certainly argue that we made a cultural turn post-2010 or post-2012 into this left/right nationalist/globalist culture war and the whole Trump thing. I mean I was finishing up college in 2010 and the SJW thing was not on my radar at all. Sure they were teaching Marxist claptrap in my social science electives but it wasn't nearly as nuts as it is now.

9/11 happened

Time has stopped.

cars haven't changed much , mobile phones and TVs are the two things i'd notice most.

Sup Forums the only place where you can have a conversation regarding the influence of jews in the interwar period in of thread, and an indepth conversation of women's fashion difference between the 2000s and 2010s in another

Na I'm 35 and I live in Chicago. I definitely dress a lot different, I'm reasonably trendy but try not to be too MFA and metrosexual. I know women's pants are very different, went from low rise bell bottoms to high waist skinny but to really notice a change you have to be in a city. Like in Trump's America though? People look basically the same. Cars are just starting to diverge significantly from that era (body style, not features and gadgets) and look really modern, there was a noticeable slow down there

>I know women's pants are very different, went from low rise bell bottoms to high waist skinny but to really notice a change you have to be in a city.

This is fairly ignorant and untrue. I wont speak for everywhere but trends and changes are/were pretty noticeable where I've lived which has most been in semi urban/ suburban type areas in the southeast.

then again your idea of "city" might be different.

(((Fashion))).

It's actually due to the rise of the internet. Culture is more varied than ever. It still exists and is still evolving, but its harder to point out. Mainstream culture hasn't changed but culture most definitely has

The reason those are remembered fondly is because so long time have passed. Just wait you dumbfuck, in 40 years everyone will be like "you don't listen to orginal Ariana Grande on vinyl? Creep"

in my town, 15 years ago, you were either a chav or a grunger. Nowadays with internet at our fingertips, kids can gravitate to any culture they want. That wasn't an option before the internet

>political discourse is pretty much the same

boy you missed out.

The christian right & moral majority that dominated America even a decade ago is now dead and replaced by Social Justice Warriors

You'll never find that many white people in a single Hollywood photo shoot.

>doesn't look retro at all
I guess if you don't know shit. I'd say the differences are too subtle for you to notice but they're not really all that subtle.

Every girl in that pic turned drugged and crazy cunt.

What you're describing is more an effect of the proliferation of alternative media.

The internet is a democratizing platform, especially for art.

>Clothing looks the same
What did he mean ?

If it was 2013 I probably would've agreed with you because I felt the same for a long time. I think it took a while for a culture to develop since it was the turn of the century. I also mostly see this culture in younger people.

If you haven't noticed the fashion change, then you need to go outside more. People-- mostly youngsters dress with those slim pants, bulky jackets and have different haircuts; You'll know what I mean if you seen them. They would totally out of place in say 2007 or something.

Music definitely sounds different, but I would say this has happened much more recent. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago? Everything sounds very echo-y, lots of slower beats, sounds kinda new age-y to me-- it's kinda hard to describe. Just go to any streaming website and listen to the new stuff released, and it sounds incredibly different to the stuff released in the 2000's.

As for politics, 2015/2016 changed all that, it's kinda hard to acknowledge without much hindsight but you'll realize it in a couple of years.

btw, those chicks definitely look dated, they would've look dated 5 years ago. I think young people born after 2000 are more in tune with the new culture and as they're getting older will create a new one, since they have no real reference to the older stuff besides pop culture.

Where the fuck do you live where females wear that? I never see girls in mini skirts, everyone is trying to dress more dowdy and ugly, and hijabs are fucking everywhere. Girls that dress how you describe get shouted at in the street as slags and spat on.

Was talking a lot of bullshit on the internet part of your plan?

So it's true all gay guys are into fashion

Cars have changed under the hood

>women wearing 2000 clothing, doesn't look retro at all
No one wears bell bottoms or shiny clothing anymore you dunce

Here in the states, the biggest changes are the Vans. They now look like those tall European vans. The cars are also starting to have flat grills instead those rounded ones, my car even has flat grills. It's subtle but it's a nice change.

Yes, they would've elected Trump. The left was nowhere near as hysterical as it is now. Social justice wasn't a thing back then. Burgers elected Bush twice and no one was called a racist for it. There was the usual intellectual snobbery from the left, but the media didn't have a concerted effort to label Bush supporters as legitimate targets for violence

2000 and 2017 probably have more in common than 2000 and 1983

Winter my friend. Oswald Spengler. We're on life support. Very little chance of resuscitation.

This guy knows what's going on

Bush never planned to build a wall, SEND THEM BACK, or lock up his political opponents lol.

He also didn't run his own fake University etc. or grab women by the pussy.

Look at how pathetic Jeb Bush looks compared to Trump and think that his brother wasn't all that much more enthusiastic. The world has changed for the BETTER. But it has changed, the MSM was the ONLY source for MOST people in 2000 now the American people are free to shop around for information and are much more free.

I actually hated 90's and early-mid 2000's fashion while it was happening. I was pretty happy with some basic elements of that sort of hipster stuff that began appearing around 2010. Cheap clothes that actually fit and weren't baggy, better shapes, etc.

things happen in the internet now

→ #
→ #
→ #

YOUTUBE TRYING TO INFLUENCE BRITISH GENERAL ELECTION. DISLIKE AND FLAG THEIR VIDEO.

How do I unlock your timeline?

I'll take fucknut evangelical christians over these social justice freaks. The Christian's can be ignored, the SJWs have a stranglehold over the Overton window. Look at the Berkeley riots, police told to stand down by the Mayor. Same with Evergreen, President has told campus police to stand down.

Black lives matter, the feminisation of the workplace, every advert the man is a bumbling idiot. I didn't hear the word cuckold, unless I was reading Shakespeare.

I wouldn't say things are better, just more extreme and more polarised. When I was a kid, I didn't see race, I just thought can we be friends and play football together. Now I think I will see a civil war in my lifetime.

EVERY thing,included "culture" is virtual.it has less effect in meat space/ plus popmusic became negroed/corporate, so there is no fashion/music change dynamic. in the 80's,every year there were changes-less in the 90's-though early 90's was very different from late 90's

Uh, you think we're still listening to Chumbawumba and wearing wide-leg carpenter pants?

all the decades of the 20th century are culturally unique because people got their culture from only a few places, only a few news papers, only a few radio stations, only a few tv stations

now everyone on the fucking planet gets their culture from the internet, where it's all just one big mess of whatever the latest clickbait bullshit is of that day

> every advert the man is a bumbling idiot.
To quibble, this is absolutely not a new thing. Look at every male sitcom character since Al Bundy. Or maybe as far back as Archie Bunker whomst half the audience took him parodically and half literally.
>oafish, low IQ, blue collar slob, clumsy, etc
The only intelligent male sitcom characters of my lifetime were Niles and Frasier
>both raging homosexuals

Culture moves more like on a 20 year cycle but it's a smooth transition

the culture we lived through the early 80's- early 00's ended about 2003 or 2004 (80's and 90's)

Before that was the 60's culture started out as hippies in the mid 60's needed in nihilistic disco in the early 80's

Now we are in.. whatever the fuck this is that's been in place since around 2004/5 and will probably last another 6/7 years

Girls back then, if you smiled, made an effort to look nice and didn't spill spaghetti, you could actually tolerate them enough to fuck them. And if you were really lucky you might even find a nice girl.

I feel bad for the man that approaches any of the cunts in pic related.

Yep, if you look at wedding photos from the 70s, the white haired old men are wearing 70s suits with funky colors and wide lapels. But now, the old men at weddings are dressed exactly the same as 25 years ago. But furthermore the nigs wore the same clothes as us in the 70s and prior (pre-hip hop I guess). And when fucking Peter Fraptom dropped an album it sold 6 gorillion copies. Everyone watched Monday Night Football and 60 Minutes. Now everything is a la carte and on demand. I literally never use my TV except for YouTube. I don't find out the Stanley Cup Finals are happening until it's Game 4.

In conclusion I guess I'm saying that the destruction of the monoculture has slowed down cultural evolution in some ways because we're all so atomize. Of course this is great in some ways--I would NEVER fucking want to go back to the pre-podcast/pre-alt media era. But there's also the disconnectedness which makes for a population that's easier to control, which immigration of course adds to profoundly

>all of those girls are washed up, fat, old, haggard, or mentally ill if not all of the above now except like..2
feels bad

Takes a girl to know what baby doll shirts are.

>woman

nah...

go back to the early 2000's

shit was basically still the 90s

Time periods don't seem nearly as demarcated as they used to be. There are clear, stark differences between 1985, 1990, and 1995. Now it all kind of blends together. I blame Sup Forums.

What about the almost constant fear of terrorism after 9/11? Bible thumpers being replaced by SJW's? Youth being addicted to iphones? Rise of the internet and social media? Fair bit of shit has changed in our culture.

Shit has still changed. Get with it.

THIS

Honestly more has changed in the last 16 years than the previous 16.

The change keeps getting faster and faster. Gay rights was a fringe thing and now the republican president and controlled supreme court, and congress supports those rights.

how far back in time would you have to go to be really out of place in the way you dress and music?

until the 90s, every decade produced a new, fresh, and original subculture rose to replace the older, outdated, and unoriginal form
hipsters have been wallowing in an expired fad for well over 2 decades, with nothing viable to replace them
have we reached a hipster plateau?
today's youth is stuck. this generation enthusiastically wallows in the faded glory of a by-gone era.
youth culture has become fully corporatized and globalized to support the interests of the interests of status quo
>listening to a recycled musical genre in a different language
>music being made than ever before
now that i can listen to Tibetan gangster rap, music has never been so fresh and unique

Dude if you think thats what style looks like today among the youth youre out to lunch

a lot of our love for the 90s and late 80s come from the sheer feeling of victory we in the West had

It was our peak. We had triumphed over all of our enemies. The West was the leader of economy, culture and politics. Nothing seemed to be able to beat down democracy, capitalism and our sheer willpower. Music and Movies were all about party, love and how we would overcome all problems in the end. Social problems from gendrt inequality to racism seemed to have their days numbered and we thought that we'd all be living in a sort of 1950s paradise era for all.
The world seemed to be at our feet and it was a matter of time before peace and happiness reached all

I genuinely think that the peak of Western civilization was on September 10th 2001

Because the very next day heralded the start of government abuse of power, class, gender and racial conflict, the death of the West and the destruction of our society and values.
Individualism stopped being a matter of improving oneself to better society, but a synonymous of apathy and arrogance. We suffered one of the worst economic recessions since 1929. The Internet, which was supposed to bring us all together, became the center of corporate manipulation, indifference and an intense sense of divisivness

Everything is a battle today. There is not a single country which isn't suffering either a social or economic crisis. People are gurt by everything and there's not a single thing we can do that would save the Occidental word that won't brutally tear apart our most basic values

The West is dying. And there's absolutely nothing to do. We'll see our past glories fade and turn to dust. We'll never see the bright future we expected to see. People are jumping ship, people will suffer, people will become monsters to themselves and to everyone around them. And every single one of those thing will happen right in front of our eyes, at least those unfortunate enough to be young.

today that picture would be all wearing yoga pants and look like they just got out of bed

pocket touchscreen phones are the apex of consumer level gadgets. there is simply nothing the average normie could want that they can't get with an iphone. because of this subcultures stagnate because no one has the motivation to do anything social or otherwise. they just sit at the bar/convention/social place and mouthbreath at their phones afraid of committing a faux pas and being recorded for millions of people to see. massive culture shifts are over.

People tend to overrate then 90s as a whole. 90-95 were fantastic years, but the decade began to decline in about 96. The late 90s weren't that good at all tbph.

'96 was definitely when everything went wrong.

The 90s were the zenith of the boomer civilization, essentially all the bad things had yet to kick in but all the good stuff was there. The fall of the Soviet Union only made it even better. The mid-late 90s (Around 1997 I'd say) was the peak if it were a graph. We've been in steady decline ever since

Things started to go downhill in about 1996.

Thanks, internet.