Why is retail dying?

Is it Amazon? Poor business management? White flight? Dying suburbs? Diversity causing people to hunker down and avoid public spaces?

What is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

cracked.com/article_22410_6-famous-companies-you-had-no-clue-were-dying.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1__Qg1toSSs
youtube.com/watch?v=HhWwkQxG86M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because their "sales" aren't really sales, and places like Amazon have better deals and practically next day shipping. But Kmart has sucked ass for years now so it was a foreseen thing.

It's Amazon.

Whats white flight?

Whites leaving a city/area because of how shitty it's gotten, leaving the minorities to either do nothing or fix it.

New options.

Online retail is a a very real and viable alternative to physical outlets and/or malls.
Pull oriented inventory systems and daisy-chained warehousing are proving more cost efficient than the older Push model store outlets.

Because people are tired of being trapped in their boring cities or towns and just want to gtfo every once in a while now that the internet exposed them to what their ignorance deprived them of experiencing.

>t. Middle class faggot who travels the world with daddy's hard earned money and never learned the value of a dollar.

No one wants to eat at your shitty restaurant

Part of it's generational. Boomers were the ones who drove shopping at Wal-Mart, etc. and now they all have Alzheimer's and live in homes. They can't even remember their own names, much less use a credit card to go shopping.

And Boomers were the ones with money or at least access to credit. The younger generations have less of everything. And like a lot of people are going to say, they are also more savvy about using technology to make their less money and credit stretch further too.

I remember all those Lexus ads from my childhood, aimed squarely at the Boomers. And the most Gen X can do is compact luxury SUV like that MKC that was parodied by SNL. The MKC. Which is basically a tarted up Focus. And that's GenX. Millenials have even less. That right there tells you everything you need to know.

they grew up playing with dirt for toys can you blame them when a toaster was the iphone of their time?

When the boomers die off, will suburbs die with them? Because it feels like everything associated with suburban life is slowly decaying.

why I don't go to retail unless i have to:
lack of self-checkout lines and only one cashier on duty
people drive in parking lots like mad max

Future ghettos. But nuh uh user thatll never happen. Thats what they said with the first rings of suburbia near the inner city.

People want to avoid being around niggers. As the nigger population increases we will see less people going to place frequented by these creatures.

Prepare for Mexicanization and Niggerization. Favela v2.0. The boomers that sell first will sell best.

just like with most things.... its a just little drop that makes up a storm, retail is hitting the rails because of high prices on items, low wages causing them to hire poorly trained staff, the amazon elephant in the room, and culture enrichment..... displacing white area, causing ppl to stay home more, ageing population in whites .... old ppl sit at home lol

we had a big k back where i used to live, and then a walmart opened up literally across the street from it and seemingly overnight the big k was empty of shoppers

The US retail sector is vastly overbuilt. We have something like 6x the retail floor area per capita compared to parts of Europe and Japan. There are big box stores everywhere, far more than needed.

Well, they're not increasing.

If there were upticks, you'd have one in the bag

Amazon Prime.

Future growhouses for legal cannabis, actually most fruits and veggies should be grown locally in abandoned shopping centers

People are too fucking poor now

I really don't understand how people can buy clothes online

Getting a good fit is really hard and even if I know a brand or store, it takes a few tries to find something that fits. People are apparently not doing that at all now and just guessing what will fit them

Nigga I'm a 24 y/o postal worker.

I'm about to commit a sin
cracked.com/article_22410_6-famous-companies-you-had-no-clue-were-dying.html

Apparently Amazon is kicking the shit out of brick and mortar, but yet it's extremely unsuccessful as a business model.

The reason Kmart died is horrible management. They had a target demographic that they ignored and forced stores to install expensive computers for only shoppers that didn't exist. Rather than running paper ads and focusing on their primary consumers. The elderly and hispanics.

Wut?

you know sites have size charts with exact clothing dimensions right..?

Nah the millenial grandchildren will acquire the house and not know how to fix a leaky faucet.

No one wants you to deliver them shitty amazon orders

No proof, but municipalities have been getting greedy and may slap extra sales tax locally. This is in addition to sales tax. So you pay 7% sales tax on clothes, but if you buy online (even on stores own site) you can avoid it. Some people will go to a store, try on clothes and order online specifically to avoid paying this extra tax.

Along the same lines, how will the stock market fare when all their massive retirement nest eggs are spent on nursing homes and "healthcare"?

Laziness. That's one human nature the free market can't fix.

TL;DR: Amazon

I cancelled my Amazon prime account today. FuckBezos

Tbh the only reason millennials will not know these things is because their fathers were too busy working for schlomo to teach them anything.

Nigga I haven't lifted shit in 3 years I'm admin side making 112k. We're doing fine especially since we fucked ups over and won the contract from Amazon, that and the increase in postage, coupled with flat rate boxes (only thing keeping us really afloat) and I'm set. Going to europe in a few months to fuck off and vacation.

>Nah the millenial grandchildren will acquire the house
hahahahahahah i have bad news for you dude

Boomer spotted.

K Markt newer renewed themselves. They havent updated their stores for 20 years. Their core customers is 60+ now and dying off. Their net income is negative and their ability to handle their debt is gone. The supermarked boom from the 50'ties and forward is over. And the companies not well established in online retail is soon to be history.

It's only "unsuccessful" because as an entity it's trying to take over the world and therefore spending shit piles of money on experimental long shots like same day delivery and drones.

It's stock price is great, about to break $1000

Millenials were and are anti parent. The #1 thing they always bitches about was never being lile their parents who were considered "wage slaves" while the millineals scrape by working food and beverage and blow their tips on trips to cancoun to find themselves.

youre still in business thanks to colorado legalizing weed and everyone growing pot in their apartments and mailing it out of state. Its why jeff sessions wont touch legal weed because bye usps if that weed money dried up

That's just part of urban sprawl. We take up huge amounts of space with our suburban homes and we drive for miles on seas of concrete to pick up a gallon of milk. Boomers invented an unnatural and extremely gluttonous way of life.

The government is scared shitless of the Boomers losing their retirement money. And they know most of that moeny is in the stock market. Notice how bulletproof the stock market has become even though the real economy keeps getting shittier and shittier?

I don't think you'll see a crash like a lot of people are expecting. What I do think you'll see is hyperinflation.

Consumerism is dying because people are finally realizing cheap shit doesn't make you happy. Also, drug culture is on the rise and that's not something you can economically track. Look at the economic activity generated when states make weed legal.

they'll get the house and wont be able to pay the property taxes on it, so they'll sell it

It will boom if they're spending on those sectors. That's how the market works.

Actually it's more like Guam and trust islands on my part of the world, it's handled very inefficiently but fuck it it generates scans and man hours and that's all I need for a paycheck.

Dude property tax here is around 1600 a year how can you not pay it.

Unless you're talking about the inheritance tax they'll get fucked by once they acquire the house.

No one wants to go to guam

They never upped themselves to the new market. I took three years just to check out a couple of items.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1__Qg1toSSs
One just went out across the street from me last month. Hopefully something better moves in there.

People from Guam mail a lot of shit to and from guam.

Middle class faggot here: if you're doing this you're not middle class, you're pretty fucking wealthy

Interesting insight, im going to file it.

Still I think when the economy tanks itll be from something unstoppable, like rothschild deciding to push the red button, or yellowstone going off and everyone selling nonstop because america will be ruined.

Sooo... not a product of things being shitty, but actually being cannonballed.

Remember when there were "big box stores." A few that went down was Circuit City, BORDERS books...

go to the shops 1987.
free parking most towns,lots of different shops. no muslims/immigrants.

go to shops 2017.
pay to park anywhere and everywhere, all shops are the same in every town. foreign cunts everywhere dressed like it s the fucking middle east.

I dont see why theyd need to. They could walk it to their recipient... oh yeah because spurdo american vear is modeled after guamese

Jesus FUCK you retards keep making the same stupid threads

Amazon

Done
No more

I fucked girls who were single child from parents around the same income I grew up with. Parents totaled around 140k a year and I had 3 brothers, our dad grew up poor and didn't give us a dime after 16 so we worked our asses off to pat bills and rent. He taught us what it's like to be poor so he could raise real fucking adults.

Imagine getting drunk with your girl and she's bragging about how she misses south Africa and new zealand and she wants to go back to the blahblah while I'm pulling 65 hr weeks and she works at the local coffee bean.

Yeah I'm firmly in the Wal Mart camp as far as who will win this war. They haven't had good press in decades and they're still moving forward because they've got a solid model and enough scale.

This video offers a good idea
youtube.com/watch?v=HhWwkQxG86M

You can live in California and be from guam.

A lot of people from Guam mail shit to Guam.

An island closer to Guam than to us mails something to guam, and it's still flown here. Then we process it and fly it back.

It's inefficient but like I said it generates freight weight and scans so we look good, and we get paid.

>Imagine getting drunk with your girl and she's bragging about how she misses south Africa and new zealand and she wants to go back to the blahblah while I'm pulling 65 hr weeks and she works at the local coffee bean.

Jesus, imagine if you ended up marrying that.

I know this beautiful blond girl, friend of a friend. She once mentioned in casual conversation that she considers 200k USD to be just enough to be "middle class".

Who gives a fuck, the housing market is going to crash by next year. All those retards that bought a home after 2012 will be fucking homeless soon enough.

Legalize weed and buttloads of australian tourists will flood guam and save your economy

Tell me more about this, user.

I sold my house last year at what I thought was the peak. Now I'm a renter.

Middle class is literally right above "if I lost my job next month id be homeless"

Right around the area of "i can pay all my bills and be financially stable while accruing some sort of extra wealth to save for rainy days."

I'm not talking like saving an extra 200 a paycheck, im talking making enough whete you can save 3 months of mortgage payments over the next 6 after meeting ends in case shit hits the fan.

It's a combination of Amazon and people having less disposable income.

my local high street looking prosperous as ever

feels good mang

People are figuring out to use their disposable income to traveo hence why retail is dying

She isnt wrong though. Fucking burger peasant.

1) Retail was heavily overbuilt during the boom years of the 1990's; ever notice how fucking BIG these box stores/malls are, throw in the parking lot and you have a small city. Not cheap to maintain.

2) Decreased purchasing power.

3) internet

4) niggers

Radio Shack died because on one side they failed to keep ahead of fucking WalMart (check the electronics section of WM lately), and on the other side, they failed to keep up with even their old customer base of tinkerers who wanted to be able to get shit the same day even at 10x the price. So they got stuck with a bunch of obsolete parts and tons of $35 HDMI cables, while their former customers either went to WalMart or had to learn to order from fucking DigiKey and Mouser.

Pretty insightful and probable given the shift to ETFs and the increase in auto trading

There'll be a clear shift and not 100% will be transferred - people will take their cuts.

Wish I invested in (((health insurance))) stocks back in 2012. Would have been an easy way to triple my money.

>go to target/best buy/ wherever
>need to buy luxury good x
>check it out in person at the store. Price tag:$199.99
>pull out smartphone and check Amazon within 20 seconds
>$89.99
Its called showrooming and its hurting physical stores hard but it's their own fault for being giant kikes and wanting crazy huge profit returns. The only stuff I actually but at brick and mortar stores now are perishables. Everything else is cheaper online unless you go to an outlet store and browse the clearance section.

There is no middle class anymore, just the illusion of one. Been that way for decades.

>Dying suburbs
Lmao not even close

>Is it Amazon?
Online business, of course. This is a no-brainer.

it depends on where you shop.i remember buying size small shirts from American Apparel as well as Bananna Republic and the shirts all being slightly different in sizing and construction. LL Bean however is pretty good at keeping their construction consistent, at lest in my experience.

Some people just buy fast fashion, like from asian online retailers and just throw away or donate the clothes that don't fit since they are so cheap.

Middle class is the top 10% now

>why is it that people would rather buy millions of things from the comfort of their own home instead of going through nigger infested stores and jacked up prices for a limited stock
gee I wonder.

>use a sizing chart
>take nicer clothes to a tailor afterwards to get the perfect fit
Australians are fucking retarded. Must be all of the muddled abo blood in you.

Whites don't have money just debt so white flight is really just whites going back home to live with their parents.

Literally this user.

>be me at retail store yesterday
>find door ass watch I like for $60
>pull out NSA phone
>tfw it's on scamazon prime for $40
>add to cart
> $20 left for tendies

People throw around e term "Middle-Class" when what eye mean is "Working Class."

A True Middle Class person can go 3-6 months of no work and still meet all their requirements of living. They're invested, own rental properties etc.

If you'd be homeless in a month if you lost your job you might not even be working class, but lower class.

Poor is the bottom.

>both parents gross 6 figs each
>middle class

Do you know where the standard even came from? When the fucking cunt of a mother stayed at home and took care of the house and the mill worker father went out and won the bread. Above the poverty line of lower class but not the upperclass exec who's job everyone wanted someday.

this is true. Our gross household income is 215k/year and we live comfortably...by which i mean we aren't worrying about money, have ample enough emergency savings, take a driving distance vacation once a year, etc.

>When White People Leave, shit goes down hill fast

>She isnt wrong though. Fucking burger peasant.

$200k a year is literally 99th percentile income.

Student debt has seriously decimated the available income of most people that went to college in the last 20 years. No money to waste. Less homes owned that requires stuff to buy.

Online shopping and niggers/spics being shipped into white neighborhoods, making going to stores a complete pain in the ass, and sometimes even dangerous

And this wouldnt be the case if america had universal health care and a safety net like western europe. The too income ranges are going to dry up naturally as those jobs will be replaced by huge conglomerates.

This is working-class, not middle-class.

My bad. Middle class tends to be defined by how much you spend apparently? (Drunk and did quick Google)

My parents made enough, but we're good at not blowing it on dumb shit. Never ate out, dad and mom are great cooks. Never got extravagant presents.

Income indirect issue. Real problem is access to additional credit. Can't really lend additional money to Millenials. They're full. No more carrying capacity.

Holy shit this. Going to any supermarket not located in some yuppie hipster area and you're guaranteed to see some nigger or mudslide family chimping out over something.

Really? Well I've been carrying around the wrong words my whole life :(

I do this all the time. 9 times out of 10 the price is lower on Amazon and I have the patience to wait a day for the item.

i have to pay for my own health insurance, it really eats into our disposable income. Family of six, I'm paying 1200/month.

my mortgage is 1100 a month, including insurance+property taxes