Trump's budget would kill earthquake early detection and warning systems in California

latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-early-warning-20170602-htmlstory.html

>While the future of the West Coast’s earthquake early warning system is in peril from President Trump’s proposed budget cuts...
>A scattering of buildings are now equipped with audible alarms that will give occupants an advance warning ranging from seconds to more than a minute before the shaking from a major earthquake begins.
>There are even buildings wired to prevent people from being trapped in elevators after an earthquake. The system is set up to trigger elevators to stop at the nearest floor for occupants to escape as an announcement is simultaneously broadcast: “Earthquake! Earthquake! Earthquake! Drop, cover and hold on!”
>[...]
>Yet the rapid progress could all unravel if President Trump’s budget is approved. The Department of the Interior is proposing no funding for the system this year and “would end USGS efforts to implement the ShakeAlert earthquake early warning system, suspending internal efforts and eliminating external funding to partners” such as Caltech, UC Berkeley, the University of Oregon and the University of Washington.
>Seismologist Lucy Jones, who formerly worked for the USGS, said she imagines that such a decision would cripple the ShakeAlert program.
>Ending federal involvement in the system would prompt scientists to leave the project, Jones said. The early warning program needs dozens of researchers continually improving the software, monitoring and operating the system, and installing and repairing seismic sensors, she said.
>“We are on the cusp of it really making a difference here in Southern California,” Jones said in an interview. Without the USGS’ leadership, “it would have to start over from a very basic level.”

What, exactly, is the benefit in cutting this? It can save tons of lives and damage to property. Does Trump want to increase the injuries, deaths, and damages done by earthquakes?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36630113
youtube.com/watch?v=XJpznMaZ85c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

California needs to fucking burn and I say this as a Socal local.

>earthquake
What are the chances it can happen and what are the chances you can escape if it happens? If really big earthquake happens like every 100 to 200 years then can they pinpoint the exact location where it will happen, else it's pointless to run away, since it will affect a lot anyway and you might be close to epicenter or not.

Why does it matter when everyone here is too cheap to retrofit anyways?

Sounds good to me. I hope he cuts all funding to CA

>What, exactly, is the benefit in cutting this?
See:
>Does Trump want to increase the injuries, deaths, and damages done by earthquakes?

Fuck California

good

california should pay for it themselves instead of being welfare queens like always. Also don't cite the BS statistics because they don't take into account things like "high state tax rebates" and military stationing.

They can increase their taxes and fund it themselves those selfish cunts.

>implying trump read and studied any effects on his proposed budget cuts
alarms? no that stupid
food for the poor? nah
healthcare? why am i paying for that
more guns to israel? sounds like big money

OP I see no problem with this. In fact, after all of the protests and left leaning faggots in that state who voted for Hillary, the state deserves it. Fuck off California and fall into the ocean.

It's stupid to put alarms in every building. Just set up your cell phone networks to issue warnings. That elevator thing is a good idea though. I wish we had that.

waste of money, we've spent billions upon billions over the last 50 years retrofitting existing buildings and totally over-engineering all new buildings. in fact theres a building in LA that has a slide that goes form the 60th floor to the 50th, its made of glass see bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36630113 you could be in that thing during a 9.0 quake and you would hardly notice anything happening. so do I think gaining ~1minute which is really really unlikely to be that long but for arguments sake lets be overly generous and say theres a 10 min warning. it doesn't matter it would only cause mass panic, likely leading to more people dying from being trampled than from dying from something earthquake related. so yes as a native califag, who still lives in the Bay Area I can say this is a HORRENDOUS waste of my tax dollars and should be shitcanned last year. fuck off and kys shill

Lets see these fags think themselves out of this one.

>The largest Earthquake in a whole century is supposed to take place in just a few years

Fuck California.

t. Californian

Trump culling California.

A bad thing.

OP, pls.

Early detection is a meme
t. geology major

And nothing of value would be lost.

Surely all the mexicans will help pay for it.

Learn to swim

>Earthquake! Earthquake!
I'd be shitting my pants. Also, I mostly see the alarm as providing a few seconds more than a minute of time. Sure, you can get out or something but 5-10 seconds might not do shit for dumbasses that panic and stay put.

Trump is trying hard to reverse the demographic decline by killing shitlibs and mexicans.

>spend money on frivolous shit
>complain trump doesnt give you enough money

They (drumpf and his nwo masters) want to maximize the casualties when the "event" happens.

Lived here in Ca my whole only had two quakes that fucking mattered. Typical leftist spendthrift bullshit. Fix the fucking roads.

Better question is why can't California with all of their taxes afford this for itself? Why should the tax dollars from people in other states who experience earthquakes, yet do not have this system in place, pay for it? Should Californians pay for states with heavy snowfall to have sturdier roofs so they dont collapse? If the "Big One" hits California there is not a damn thing this early warning system will do but let people know their shit is about to be pushed in. The federal government cannot pay for everything and states along with their inhabitants need to start providing for their own without sucking on the teat of the feds.

Your only saying that because of the high ass amount of wet backs California has

What exactly is the reason that California, one of the largest economic giants in the world much less in this country, is so fucking poor it can't afford to have its own earthquake early detection and warning systems?

Good, fuck California.

You can't detect earthquakes early. It was earlier this decade when Italy tried to prosecute several seismologists for not being able to predict an earthquake that would end up killing like 50 people.

It's worthless to fund something that doesn't work. He should also defund Affirmative Action programs.

It has supposed to take place in a few years for decades now. The (((Big One))) is nothing more than a scare tactic to get companies to purchase more useless shit like earthquake alarms. No amount of technology will be able to save the state if it ever decides to hit.

Because paying one undergrad geologist about 7.50$ an hour to stare at a fucking seismograph and hit a big red button to set off a few fucking sirens across a state is a bigger waste of money than they are willing to admit

>implying the great communist state of California would spend the money required to maintain these systems on actual maintenance and not giving illegal spics an easier life on the backs of tax payers

They are announcing the death of your country. California will sink beneath the ocean after the nukes drop. They mean business.

>earthquakes happen in California
>implying saving the lives of Californians is a good thing

Kill yourself

>in California
so the fuck what?

Why the fuck are federal dollars going toward that? Let the Good Ship Overspend sail off into the fucking Pacific already.

>They
>Fall of the worst part of the country is somehow significant in any way other than the rest of the country improving.
Fucking beaner logic right their folks

second this motion

>a bloo bloo muh federal funding
>meanwhile let's pass a healthcare bill that costs 3x our revenue
Fuck california

Central Valley here. Perfectly fine with this, and if Trump proposed nuking Sacramento and the bay area that would be even better.

The warning system is absolutely worthless.

Fucking sperm on a bird? Sort yourself out, partner

Why does the federal government has to pay for a Cali-based system? Let Californians pay for it.

I don't think Jerry Brown will actually sign that one into effect, although it wouldn't surprise me because afterall what's another 105 billion dollars a year :^)

40 million people, huge industries, and one of the largest economies in the world? Why would you want that?

except your food.

enjoy importing everything in tin cans from Brazil and Germany from now on

>Talks about california
>posts beautiful white women in a cornfield
Ive been there and you damn well what im talking about.

It's all natural super bird vitality shampoo, Tex.

That's funny considering
>I live in the South and have both the land to grow my own vegetables to sustain myself and also
>The ability to hunt and raise my own meat
Not all of us grew up in pampered ass subdivision some of us actually have the means to take care of our selves and actively do so. So no you enjoy your Brazilian and German canned goods faggot I'll be eating as fresh and local as it fucking gets

>Typical leftist spendthrift bullshit. Fix the fucking roads.
Fucking this. Or buy me a new car. "Biggest state economy in the US" my ass. If you can't fund this you can't Calexit, corrupt Sacramento retards. Fug I hate California.
t. yet another Bay Area user

p.s. this shit would never be for anybody but the rich yuppie shitbags anyway

No, burn in fucking hell. The only people I feel bad about are those of you California who haven't abdicated your values and see the filth readily surrounding you. Get out while you still can, I feel for you few.

Here's hoping for this future:
youtube.com/watch?v=XJpznMaZ85c

that pic always bums me out.

Good. We need something to curb the Mexican invasion.

Not OP but I know all too well.

appreciate it. We're working on our own personal calexit asap

"Salinas"

I believe that's the point. I just wonder what the moments were that lead up to that photo? Get bored, walk outside, cum on bird?

Fuck California. The entire state could sink into the ocean and America would only stand to gain. The state is full of nothing but worthless, welfare grubbing immigrants, non-English speakers, safe space universities, shithead libtards, antifa rats, treasonous celebrities and enough prison funding to solve the rapefugee """crisis""" It can be buried in the sea and democrats would never win another election again. A massive earthquake destroying California would be the surest sign of God's existence I would ever witness.

> Lucy Jones

Lol get back in the kitchen you dumb slut

all i want to know is if you can set one of these earthquake detectors off with a subwoofer, and if so, how big do you have to go?

As opposed to old California which was just Cuban migrants from Florida, Richer Jews, The white bimbos looking for old rich Jew dick money, and all the drug dealers the world would ever need

Amen

>tfw Hollywoodfag
I don't even care anymore just let me die already

Where will all the class act(not pedophile) characters actors go?! New York?

TRUMP used EARTHQUAKE on COMMIES
it's SUPER EFFECTIVE

Here's hoping

Fuck off. Real New York is already full and dealing with the enigma that is NYC.

More dead commies.

Just saying last time I was there I went to Times Square again, this time it was filled with foreign characters at night begging for money if they they pose for a picture. Pretending to be Mickey, Superman, whatever the fuck. I blame the naked cowboy on that shit.

As I said, real New York. Not NYC. Or Albany for that matter. Come upstate next time, not apologizing for them. Not sorry.

If Commiefornia's economy is as great as the libs say it is then they can fund it themselves

No, I was actually shocked at the change of the area that I knew. I'm sure you know more about in inner workings, but as a person who use to visit, just the outside(mainstream) of it was fucked just within a few years. It was exactly like the Hollywood pedophiles in costumes begging for money.

Good. Fuck that state. Hope it becomes rubble.

Poor people should starve. Don't breed em if you can't feed em.

Killing Californians for free is like a dream.

>40 million people
No, it's 40 million Californians.
Completely different.

>but as a person who use to visit, just the outside(mainstream) of it was fucked just within a few years.
Agreed. It came on fast and even I are still dealing with the shock of it all. I limit my visits accordingly to this day. I just get pissed because we get a bad rap because of the degenecry they try to push up north.

HAHAHA YO ARE THE IDIOT WITH SMALL SKULL YOU ARE CALI STINK DOG
YOU LAUGH MY ASSHOLEHAHA HAHAHAHAHAH DEADBEAT CALIFAG
2014 CALIFORNIA STEAL WEST US CLAY GIVE IT BACK YOU MUST GIVE BACK OUR RIGHTFUL CLAY TEXAS+ARIZONA+COLORADO+UTAH=FUCK YO UCALIFORNIA
WHERE IS THE CLAY
earthquake will kill 400 californian cities
FUCK YOU CALIFORNIA YO ARE THE SHIT STATE YOU LIVE IN THE YUPPIE ZOO ANIMALS. HAHAHAHAHHAHA
DEAR CALIFORNIA GOVERNOR, I SHIT FROM THE HIGHEST CHIMNEY TO YOUR MOUTH. YOU ARE THE GAY GOVERNER.NO FUNDING FOR YOU!
I WILL DIE FOR WEST AMERICA. I DO NOT FEAR THE LIBERAL YUPPIE WIZARD. I WILL NOT AFRAID
fuck los anglese fuck sacromento a n sandjoser fuck you too san dieago, califaggot ass...FALL INTO OCEAN
texas has wisdom of the falcon. california have dimwit of donkey ass
GO BACK TO YUPPIE SHITHOLE....HAHAHAHAHAHHA FUCK U CALIFORNIA

You know what? i live in Calif and the fucking liberal assholes would rather spend over 5 BILLION DOLLARS on a bullet train that we neither NEED OR WANT. Its already MILLIONS OVER BUDGET and not a SINGLE TRACK has been laid. 5 billion dollars for bullshit...so I figure Calif can go fuck itself. Fuck off with your Drumpf bullshit please. Thanks.

We can just be a separate state, the american economy can suffer without us.

>hur durr, then we'll attack you to force us to rejoin
then why did you want us to leave in the first place?

Hopefully we don't become a part of Mexico or Canada.

>early detection

So like never? Because why should the rest of the US fund the Californian problem? That should be out of your own state budget.

So what you are saying is 8 years?

How ? Aren't these system mostly automated stations with a few people looking at the graphs ?

>be me
>lifetime California resident
>see this
>realize that nothing of value would be lost

>then why did you want us to leave in the first place?
So we can attack you.

Ironic thing is, if they'd get rid of illegals, there would be enough money for them to fund their systems

>earthquake early warning system
i wonder who's behind this imaginary system

I thought californians wanted to leave the Union. They aren't expecting Trump to keep giving them money for their earthquake detection systems when they leave, are they?

>food for the poor? nah
lol what do you mean? oh you are one of those that buid the story of trump ending wheels on meals right? You know that thing that is mostly paid by donations and that after trump cut stuff from it the donations basically increased tenfold.

even if you did attack us, we'd get support from other countries, and other gay liberal states would want to leave and all that hippie shit will start over again

so either way you are fucked faggot
I bet you're from some worthless state that makes offshore Chinese products, fail

Getting rid of illegals (and frankly, the majority of LEGAL shitskins too) would solve a hell of a lot of the societal problems that liberals complain about.

Socal deserves the biggest, most destructive earthquake ever.

>"lets build a giant city in a desert!"

Fuck commiefornia. (Norcal is co

CA can use the Paris Agreement funds they played towards this.

oh no not Commiefornia. 2 days ago i found out $1180 had been stolen from my debit card. When i traced he payments they all come from Cali. I dont even live in your country and somehow you manage to fuck me.

Fuck Commiefornia, hope Kim jong Un levels it.

do it! let the commies shake!

>we want to secede
>gibs us federal money

California, ladies and gentlemen