A free-speech institute on Tuesday sent a letter to President Donald Trump demanding the prolific tweeter unblock...

>A free-speech institute on Tuesday sent a letter to President Donald Trump demanding the prolific tweeter unblock certain Twitter users on grounds the practice violates the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

>Trump's @realDonaldTrump account recently blocked a number of accounts that replied to his tweets with commentary that criticized, mocked or disagreed with his actions. Twitter users are unable to see or respond to tweets from accounts that block them.

>The Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University in New York said in its letter that the blocking suppressed speech in a public forum protected by the Constitution.

>The White House did not respond to a request for comment. Twitter Inc said it had no comment.

It's okay when liberals do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

usnews.com/news/technology/articles/2017-06-06/trumps-blocking-of-twitter-users-violates-us-constitution-rights-institute
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Trump's advisors should just delete his account at this point. It's embarrasing for a "president".

>It's okay when liberals do it.

did the king nigger do it too?

I mean you can still respond and your followers can see it right?

Isn't that still a public forum?

What will they do next? Force all YouTube videos to have comments enabled?

>liberals did it too
Proof?

tfw you can log out of your account and still read the presidents tweets.

>Proof
Don't be disingenuous, liberals hate discussion and ban people from their pages all the time.

sketchy as hell legally and only matters if they are blocked form @potus
@realdonaldtrump is a personal account he can block whomever he wants whenever he wants

t. bored lawyer

Nogger can cry, block, mock...
White men get sued if they do.
It's called white priviledge.
And it means that nogger is kike soldier.

tfw posting on Sup Forums for 10+ years has made me a violator of pretty much every human rights law and US constitution

You really think people would throw a shit fit about liberals blocking Trump supporters besides other Trump supporters?

No shit. This double standard shit needs to end. This bullshit has gotta stop.

Lol but leftist cucks banning anyone that isn't pro refugee subhumans and firing people for their political beliefs is totally cool.
As a lolberg I support capitalism and free association.

Because Canadians are gay, and dumb.
usnews.com/news/technology/articles/2017-06-06/trumps-blocking-of-twitter-users-violates-us-constitution-rights-institute

This is so childish.
>he bluckede muhh!!!!!!!
>Huww fuchinkn drr hii!!!
>*blocks BashAntiFash @Real_Twitter_Faggot*
>Itrys surr unfurr thart he buk muhhh!!!! Thyee fukin bighut

Good for you, you can Google.

>he doesn't want to listen to you
>MUH FIRST AMENDMENT

Did Obama ever block anyone on @POTUS?

I'm pretty sure he has in 8 years and nobody cared

Bigger idea here: Free Speechâ„¢ now applies to the private company twitter

>free speech doesnt protect you from cnsequences!!!!111
>gets blocked on twitter
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oh right he's never blocked anyone on the official white house twitter but only on his personal account. Interesting discussion but I'm pretty sure it's just blanks from the liberals once again

kek, very accurate

can't wait to turn the tables on leftists and start doing evertyhing they did to us, to them

They have no case. It was his account before taking office and he has a presidential account.
t lawkike
Buttblasted nigger lovers btfo

>he blocking suppressed speech in a public forum protected by the Constitution.
no it didn't. they are still free to tweet whatever the fuck they want.

>he's never been placed on the whitehouse.gov blacklist before
sending 60 odd pictures of big black cocks will do it, can i sue the american government for infringing on my right to free speech?

CALL THE COAST GUARD MY 15 MINUTES NEED A LIFE RAFT

>public forum
>you must sign up to tweet

really makes me think

its a private company that isnt free speak those fucking retards

Next time twitter bans me for calling people niggers, I'll be sure to remind them that they're violating my first amendment rights.

>this isn't partisan at all

Please demonstrate how blocking twitter users form the presidents twitter constitutes an infringement on their right to speak

You don't have a "right" to the presidents attention

how much does freedom of speech matter when you're using a website like twitter or facebook? like lets say trump plays WoW or something, is it illegal for him to block people who spam his chat?

>Being deterred by being blocked on Twitter
Just make another account? Why do people make a big deal out of this?

>constitution
>applying to a private owned medium
>literaly nothing in said constitution give people the obligation to listen to your freedom of speech

>The Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University in New York said in its letter that the blocking suppressed speech in a public forum protected by the Constitution.
if that were true, then Sup Forums would not exist, and Sup Forums would be primarily used for anime and trap pr0n.

>What will they do next? Force all YouTube videos to have comments enabled?

No. Just on aaaaalllllllllllllllllll the Obama speeches, et al.

>result status: hilarious

it doesn't because none of those are public forums, once you agree to the terms of use, at any time, and without notice, a user / player may block you regardless of what you may or may not have done.

Doesn't it apply to all blocking on social media?

no problem banning wrongthinkers, though, right?

BECAUSE ALL THEIR LIBERAL FOLLOWERS WONT SEE THEIR COMMENTS ON HIS TWEETS!

REEEEEEEEEE

If you shit on the white house floor, I'm pretty sure you'd get banned from being able to go there. Same thing.

it wont work. it would set a precedent that companies couldnt mute/ban/block people on web sites or in online games ect

its already been established that your right to free speech doesnt actually apply in a corporate setting. all social networking websites are companies

bes is being a hungry nigger. grow up and find something else to do

Because they want to build their brand by piggy-backing off Trump.

>be 18 year old on the beaches of normandy
>watching my brothers die around me
>gain courage to keep moving forward by imagining how glorious America will be in the future
>2017: The president blocked my twitter

>someone asks for proof
>you cant provide it and ramble about how they do it all the time

you are part of any problem, anywhere

if the account is labeled as "President trump" or has some type of official capacity there might be an argument but it would have to show some harm caused by the blocking other than lost retweets of epic zingers

even a president has a right to personal privacy on his own private accounts and he can block you from his soundcloud if he wants to

This is a matter to take up with the head of twitter, not trump.

That's because, contrary to what the message says, it's not a public forum. It's private. And twitter gets to ultimately decide who gets banned and who doesn't.

Hey hey ho ho blocking tweets has got to go

this is both bad and good, cause eventually once were all more or less forced to used futurebook or futuretwitter, its entirely up to the company to decide what peoples rights are, unless were willing to tweak the first ammendment to cover internet free speech.

Allahu Akbar. I too agree, brother.

...they are angry, that someone is not paying attention to them...

are they women?

No, it's amazing, fuck off Muhammad

Lmao. Log out and you can see it.

Twitter is a private company. This has zero legal grounds.

Basically if anyone blocks anyone it's a constitutional violation? This shots retarded.

Lol bullshit dude
There's literally no free speech considerations whatsoever

no one is forcing anyone to use these websites. i hope we don't see the day when that may happen

Trump's Twitter account is one of the best things about his presidency.

>no one is forcing anyone to use these websites

sure but thats like saying no one is forcing you to use telephones. as technology progresses its going to be harder and harder to avoid it without simply disassociating yourself from society.

to block somebody from viewing the official account(which deals with the public affairs of the state) could be argued as an abuse especially if all those blocked were members of a specific racial/religious etc group

thats a choice you yourself must make, no one is forcing you to be 'trendy' or 'cool' by using a website or service.

but that's only for @potus
not @realdonaldtrump

The dissociation has already begun.

t. Never had any social media

How does this violate the constitution lol

There is no argument, it's even farther removed than blocking a number or email address
>it's even almost related to free speech to block somebody (an account you can replicate at no cost, not a person) from being able to send or receive messages to a mere distribution method of the white house that in no way constitutes any sort of government forum
You're going to tell me that any and every politician and government office cannot block people on twitter?

I'm a lawfag and it's hard to believe you are one

HOLD UP.

IF WE AGREE WITH THIS WILL THEY HAVE TO UNBLOCK PEOPLE LIKE MILO FROM TWITTER TO BE CONSISTENT?

THINK ABOUT THIS FUCKERS.

I said it could be argued
I didn't say it you would win

maybe in the 9th

So NO ONE could block ANYONE?? on the grounds of free speech? ffs....

This would mean that Milo has to have his Twitter account reinstated.

Are you dumb or what?? Since he is acting in the figure of POTUS, blocking is censorship.

>which deals in public affairs of the state
Blocking somebody has no tangible harm associated with it on Twitter. Even if he was discriminating on protected class grounds it would still require judges to make a buillshit decision. There is no suppression of anything. And it has nothing to do with protected classes anyway, that's bullshit

I don't even know what that says.

Even the 9th would throw it out

You think leftist politicians would like not being able to block shit? I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually some white knight abusing his (tiny) power in some shitty organization

Twitter isn't ran by the government, it's a private entity. Therefore, they don't have to guarantee your first amendment rights. If twitter was ran by the government, I could see the issue.

Holy shit is that a mechanical calculator?

it's likely to do with citizen rights to access public presidential statements

>quads of truth

But this anonymous Mongolian anime forum really is for trap pr0n and anime shit posts

you're right
I covered that a bit in a previous post
tangible harm would be very hard to prove without some special circumstance that I can't even think of right now

for the most part I think this case is DOA but it makes for interesting academic debate

Fuck off Ahmed

They're talking about the power for a personal twitter account to block another user from viewing or commenting on their tweets. Milo and others were not blocked they were banned from the platform by Twitter itself.

Brazil at it again with pinpoint logic.

Umm. . . no. Sorry sweetie, but that's hate speech, not free speech.

I don't even use a calculator on a regular basis but I kinda want one

I could watch that all day like a lava lamp

Show me where in the Constitution it states that a personal line of communication with the president of the United States is guaranteed.

yet i get banned for posting a actual Egyptian painting/fresco

30 day ban, every other month for the past 2 years.

Also got banned once for talking negatively about transgenders remaking the last supper

That's his personal twitter account, not the POTUS account.

you don't need an account to see his tweets so it's a non issue

absolutely. @potus blocked mw for calling him a big-eared bitch.

The electric jew wants to kill Trump's twitter so badly

>$15.84 extra dollars on top of normal wage for carrying plates

Why are waitresses/waiters so ungrateful?

Lol this is fucking retarded.
Are they really gonna go against blocking ppl on Twitter?.

About if we start calling them cunts and they cant block us.

But that's a feature of Twitter, so they should be sending a letter to Twitter to remove the feature if they're so concerned about it

>on top of normal wage

that's not the case. waiters don't get paid very much by the hour since they're expected to make most of their cash in tips. but servers who bitch about their tips are just entitled losers, it was their choice to get a job where the amount of money you make is based solely on the kindness of your customers.

>Have to do the exact same amount of work no matter the cost of the meal
>Expect a million dollar tip if someone orders something that costs more than the chicken fingers that table 12 got

>did he prevent them from speaking at all?
No
>so he just didn't want to listen to?
Yes
>CASE DISMISSED
* bang *

The only people complaining about this are the people who are losing retweets on their epic spam trump tweets as a verified account. Losing that insightful DELET THIS at the top of every tweet from him

>This fucking meme again
You idiots are the worst.

Federal minimum wage is federal minimum wage, no exceptions. Some states have a minimum "waiter's wage" that gets paid to waiters and waitresses regardless of what they make in tips but if they make less in tips than federal minimum wage than the employer is required by law to pay you the difference.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States

this is sword that cuts both ways no? So if bessie wessie gets her way she wouldnt be able to block anybody that said someting she didnt like right?

ok sure but that doesn't stop the fact that minimum wage is still garbage. if you willing work minimum wage in a job where you aren't tipped you might as well identify as a special needs person because you are on the same level as fucking walmart greeters.

Spotted the spoiled faggot of a child. There's nothing wrong with working a minimum wage job as a kid/young man going to school.