US Army

Anyone here part of the army? I'm thinking about joining and I want to know what it's like. I'm thinking about either getting stationed at a base in Germany to see how bad it really is or going off to fight in some desert halfway around the world.

Fight for Israel posters, don't even bother posting your usual stuff. I just want to die.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oUsAeGMOAJ4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You don't get to choose where you are stationed. You do get a wish list, but the military still decides where to place you.

Do they ever consider your list or no? It sounds like one of those things where they say that they are totally considering what you want but throw it away as soon as you aren't looking.

Everyone always says you should join the airforce instead.

You don't get to "choose" where you'll be stationed. If you do poorly on the ASVAB you may get your wish to go "fight in some desert halfway around the world".

Join the Navy or Marines...better duty stations

I wish I had joined the Air Force over the Navy. The spend more of their funding on morale compared to the other branches.

>thinking the army gives a dam where you want to go
Sounds like the army might not be for you.

I wish I had joined the Air Force over the Navy. They spend more of their funding on MWR compared to the other branches, also better dining halls.

Pretty much.
These.

I heard that you get to pick 3 duty stations you would like. I don't know how much the Army cares about what you list though.

just join the air force. getting shot at is nothing to brag about.

People keep telling me to do that.

Im going through PLC for the Marines and everyone (but my dad, who also went Marines, of course) is saying "Oh the airforce is sooo nice they treat you soo well and its safe, and you get better food"

I guess its a new "meme" or something

I was in the Army stationed on an Air Force base for the first half of my contract. The Air Force people had no pressure on them at all. I got saluted by officers despite being enlisted. Then my unit transferred to an Army base. It was like going from sugar to shit...

>The food is worse
>The barracks are worse
>The location is worse

I don't know if the air force would want me. I stopped my college education because I was getting nowhere fast. Heard that they only want college graduates or something like that.

This post, in more ways than one, demonstrates why we need a draft.

Airman here, join the Air Force.

I was a huge degenerate in my past. If I was to get a clearance and they called anyone who used to know me they would tell them all sorts of shit. At the same time, I've cleaned up my act and have great health and am good with rifles.

Which branch does the least to look into your past?

a dick sucker like you is probably more fit for the navy

Armyfag here but I'd be surprised if that were the case. Not having a degree shouldn't stop you from going enlisted.

youtube.com/watch?v=oUsAeGMOAJ4
Now you've done it, im so fucking nostalgic right now.
Jesus, all of my teen days were spent playing that game, i miss it so much.

I got my second choice, so yes they do consider it.

try not to get a clearance. probably navy, maybe air force. I heard they care the least about that sort of thing. If it comes out you did some fucked up shit that could get you your clearance denied, your clearance will probably get denied. If it's something that you lied about to get in, IE hard drug use, you may be disciplined or discharged, which is where the branch comes in. Army hates that sort of thing for sure, marines probably do too, Navy and Airforce probably care a little less but you'll still probably get boned. Contact a lawyer in that case and learn the phrase "I don't recall"

If your past is truly THAT BAD and you aren't exaggerating, steer clear of any MOS that requires a clearance or officership. Learn to be content with a simpler job.

In case I wasn't clear above, I don't believe it's the branch that does the clearance investigation, or at the very least the standards and procedures are the same for that sort of thing throughout. Anywhere you go, the questions and the procedures for the investigation for a secret or TS will be the same. They'll phone your house, your place of work, and some friends and basically ask "would you trust user with secret information and a position of authority in the United States gubment?" and maybe ask about some other people who knew you to go ask them the same thing. Might be that they'll ask something else, might be they'll figure out your past affiliations and misadventures. Might be they won't. But if your past is as bad as you say, then I wouldn't risk going anywhere near the clearance application.

airforcefag here

we spend so much god damn money on manditory fun days and morale boosters

i hate i mean i HATE the formalities and the fact you can get fucked for even talking back to your leadership
i get the purpose for the harsh disapline but really sucks at time

no i would never renlist. i work in comsec and can get a great job on the outside, plus i have a college degree.

oh and you WONT get stationed where you want.
the base im at is great but its in the middle of no where

go navy or air force

If you just want to die I'd suggest the CIA as it's really effective at churning out death. sucking the souls out of foreign assets turning them into mindless zombies that post on Sup Forums all day is actually kinda fun I've heard.

> Im going through PLC for the Marines

(1) You about to head into your PLC-Jr or Sr summer - India / Lima Co?

If you're headed into PLC-Sr / Lima Co - you psyched for the Quigley this summer?

> I guess its a new "meme" or something

Ret USMCs have always said that shit, especially when talkin to fuckers after their DS at 29 Stumps.

Sounds almost as bad as the corporate world. Mandatory fun.

with that kind of stupid mentality I see you more likely to kill yourself in the barracks if you even make it that far to your duty station.

OP if you're thinking about Joining, or anybody in this chat, check out MEG/Military Enlistment General. It's mostly /k/ bros

discord DOT gg/ YpcV5P

I did tons of drugs and my whole friend group was druggies all through high school. Is that too bad or am I overthinking it? Shrooms, X, etc

I didn't get any of my choices in 09. From what I've discovered is that they just put you where they need you if you are from a high priority MOS but if you do something like Infantry, then you are much more likely to get one of your choices.

If you just want to die there are less convoluted ways of doing that.

Nah believe me he'll fit in fine with most E2s

kek. Have fun fighting for Israel

Just between us, there is no recognizable difference between a civilian and any of my family members who were in the chair force--especially if they never got off of the flight deck.

I signed up and just completed my basic training and AIT. They will never stop excersizing you, all it is PT. A lot of people don't make it through because of leg/knee/hip problems. A lot of people don't get through because of criminal history. If you are physically kind of okay and not a complete shitbag you can make it through. Don't plan on drinking or smoking for at least six months and restricted cell phone use.

Former USAF Pararescue now working as a contractor

This is my Combat Cat, Meowsy McDermott

ask us anything

that's kind of bad. I have to confess I don't really know how likely it is for an investigator who's trying to assess your candidacy for a secret clearance to stumble onto that sort of thing. It probably depends on the investigator, how in depth he wants to go, if he smells drug use and if he cares, if he wants to contact your friends. I'd say that's a pretty big risk, but it's probably not the worst thing to try and skirt around to get a clearance. Top secret is completely off the table btw.

What did you plan on doing once you got in anyway?

It's true. I'm former USMC and I tell kids looking toward military service to join the Coast Guard.

My total score was 89 but I chose 11b anyways...
I wanted to do the high speed schools like airborne, ranger, or sfaq/sfqc but all I got was PTSD and fucked up back and knees. It was worth it though.
Don't trust your recruiter, if something isn't written on an official document or contract, it will never happen.

Also, I suggest you take this over to /meg/ on /k/ once you're done with this thread. That's the military enlistment general, and there will be people that know a lot more about the process than I do. You'll probably have people that actually have experience with guys that either got a clearance or denied based on past drug use. Might be you'll have people who did that sort of thing themselves. If this is a thing you want, you should probably get your questions answered honestly by the people who know the most about it anyway, and /meg/ will answer them.

Does your cat operate?

It's not new it is true.
But why would you want to be known for being soft and getting treated good?
They treated us like SHIT at Ft. Benning

I leave for the Coast Guard this July!

Good point, the Navy mandatory fun was always complete bullshit. I also did COMSEC.

Hey ckeck out /k/ and search for their military enlistment generals. Lots of good questions and discussion there.

I'm fucking 32 and enlisting soon. Always wanted to fight, Mattis is in charge now, and I wouldn't mind seeing some combat in the middle east if you know what I mean. I just want some years of government funded fun and some bennies when I get out.

I know a 1t2x1, pretty sure he was in 563d. Pretty hard hittin dude for a nancy fly boy.

will do

we like being nancy fly boys though :3

Kys and save me some money kid

> I'm fucking 32 and enlisting soon

lol better be a PT god if you're goin in E1 as a grey-pube outside a surge. Seriously, best of luck.

Coast Guard can get guaranteed district.

reddit.com/r/uscg/comments/69sb7a/guaranteed_district_question/

Congrats man!

A-fucking-men, brother. Former 2/87 Catamount here. Separated in 2009 and came home with PTSD. By 2010 I could barely bend my knees or climb stairs, and I can't even remember the last time I was without some form of serious back or neck pain.

Crazy thing is, I'd do it all over again - in a heartbeat.

LOL. Coasties are adorable. I want one for a pet.

Noice man, is the swim indoc overrated? or is it really hell? Tips for preparing for something like that?

You're a contractor, how much is the pay?

Let me guess, Marines?

lol PR missions seem to be the coolest fly boy gig outside the A10 canopy.

I remember some PJs and the anglico FCT / JTAC dudes always beefing / talkin shit / prankin each other. Never understood it but seemed like it ran deep. You guys work together a lot?

the swimming is the worst part hands down

i get paid about 180k for 6 months

You're never going to be stationed in Germany because you're not combat arms and even then there's a fucking line a few hundred miles long in front of you.
What, you think this is the 90s where we had bases all over Germany?
Those are gone, user.
You're just going to get fucked right out of OSUT when they ship your ass off to the 1st AD in Ft. Bliss, Texas aka "99 ways to die".

Depends on your physique. I went to High school with a kid who, Im not kidding, was maybe 100 pounds, 5'6, and a size 6 shoe. Kid was all bone and a complete herb and joined the navy and didnt pass basic and was just sent to do technical shit. If you are fit and you know it, do it. But dont embarrass yourself, your fellow recruits, and your country by trying to do something you cant do. The Army gives you the discipline, leadership, and basic life skills to make you into a professional once you get Honorably discharged. One of the worlds best fighting forces sadly turned soft by the obama administration. If you know you have the physical and mental strength to do it, and you love your country, then go for it. But also take a look at each branch and decide which one would be right for you, could be Marines, Air Force, Navy, or the Coast Guard. But if the Army is what you want, go for it. Don't listen to these fucking retards on here that have no clue what they are saying when they say your dying for Israeli interest or you're going into the meat grinder. Do what you want, cause a veteran of the US Army is quadruple the man any of these guys will be.

T. Active Marine

JTAC dudes always have their heads up their own ass because all the other branches suck their dicks so hard. No one ever thanks us cuz when we meet other guys on the battlefield their usually near dead and don't remember what happened when they wake up in the hospital

armys dank for the first 3 years after that it's repetitive tedious hell

they only have a 9% retention rate after first contracts for a reason though, get what you need out of it do 3-4 years and then dip out

Yeah I could pass the PT test if I had to do it today, but I'm going to the gym almost daily to train and shave off run time before I go. I have a degree so hopefully I'll go in as an E-3. Haven't completed all of my paperwork yet.

Fuck bro that's a nice setup. Cheers

Yah I never got dicked with a DS at 29 stumps but if I did I'd prolly wanna go AF.

Great, and now you're on the dole, and we get to pay for you forever.

Glad you guys fixed everything in Iraq and Afghanistan though. I hear its great there now

You mentioned mattis getting you stoked - infantry is your primary I assume?

A simple "Thank you for your service" would have sufficed. I would, however, like to take this opportunity to thank YOU personally for the Nintendo Switch I bought my kid yesterday with a small fraction of my disability check. Tomorrow I'm trading in my '14 Raptor for a '17 so I should also thank you for your contribution.

Fuck it man, just be happy. In 4 years you'll have no regrets.

Is the Navy still okay if I barely know how to swim? I mean, i can still learn it.

Does everyone in the IC you interact with *not* seem gung-ho about mass surveillance or otherwise express confusion about why anyone cares if the IC looks at their personal information?

You should learn to swim now then. I mean it doesn't matter where you're going, learn to swim, that's a life skill you simply need. However if you don't have an affinity for water, it sounds like the Navy would be the last place you would go then. What if you fell overboard? Or had to climb onto a ship or boat? I don't know what's included in Navy training, but honestly, just learn to swim. There's barely no one in the military who wouldn't or couldn't use that skill.

>I'm thinking about joining and I want to know what it's like.
Depends on what MOS you choose. Can be good, okay, bad, depends on what you put into it.
>I'm thinking about either getting stationed at a base in Germany
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>to see how bad it really is
>Germany
>to see how bad it really is
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
>or going off to fight in some desert halfway around the world.
Then joing some combat arms MOS. But chances to go over to the middle east aren't like what they were back in 2003. You have to be hot shit to get over there. Otherwise you'll just spend every day working out, practicing with your weapon, doing shitty computer mandatory training and getting drunk
>Fight for Israel posters, don't even bother posting your usual stuff. I just want to die.
>Just want to die
>But you want to die by another's hand in battle
There are other ways to do that, Mercs and other militaries for example

What kind of backgrounds do the contractors you work with come from?

If you're above average intelligence and a beta cuk, go Air force. If you aren't that smart, take direction well and drink like a fish, go Marines. If you're gay, go navy.
If you're kind of smart, like to challenge your self and want the widest field of job opportunities (choose wisely) Go Army.

Current E5 sailor. You'll be fine if you can't swim. They will teach you at boot camp and you'll probably never do it again.

That really a good distinction between Marines and Army? Honest question.

No, I'm looking for something that will get me a civilian job when I'm done. Most interested in electrical engineering or something that would have me learn about electronics, or a construction related MOS.

Pretty much ever branch has above average levels of jocular homoeroticism. Plus we got boat baes now.

Research the USMAPS program the navy does. Tl;dr if you are a technical rate you can log your hours and get apprenticeship credentials while you are in.

I'm thinking about joining a branch because I'm bored of my life, not a lot of new options and I'll be homeless in 2 months unless something drastic changes. I'm 31, is it a good idea or not?

I forgot to add, I think Mattis is a well-intentioned and intelligent man, much more capable of doing the job than his predecessors. Also kind of weirdly interested in seeing how the N. Korea situation unfolds. & the Philippines.

I'm 32 and joining.... If you're gonna be homeless in 2 months get started on paperwork ASAP. It's taken a much longer time than I expected and I still haven't signed my final contract or gone to MEPS. I hear it can take up to a few months before they give you a date for going to Basic.

I was in the Marines for 4 years. My dad offered me money to join the Army, but I wanted to be a Marine, so I went. I can say that it was well worth it.
Don't get caught up with the cucks while you're in. Do what you're told and don't be a bitch.

Fuck Airmen.

Semper Fidelis.