Lost Generation

Why are millennial trying to recreate the past through movie remakes, Pokemon obsessions, and Disney collections?

Is this a subliminal attempt for millennials to articulate the nostalgic memories of their generation to the new generation? Are we desperately trying to create a entertainment and reality paradigm that runs parallel to sometime in the nineties?

And if true, what does this mean? Have we collectively run out of ideas or has the temperature of the room changed and now everything is more dark?

I know practically everyone here sees this too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o0JqC2UDpoE
archive.is/uQ8st
youtu.be/zN14mLW0jBk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's just a memetic thing, people like to revisit the way their mind state was in the past while still indulging in the zeitgeist of the present at the same time. So remakes and remasters are popular. This does not mean that the past is superior to the present or vice-versa. What you are talking about has been going on since the dawn of recorded history.
/Thread

When was the last time a culture was so heavily focused on the previous decades and was so devoid of new ideas as ours is now?

I dunno but it got me thinking .... kids TV commercials did not change since the early 00s, was it the same for our parents? Were commercials always the same shit?

weimar republic

Hitler 2.0 please come and save us.

To keep us all children.

I think it's also laziness.

Wow truly devoid of any new ideas. Where did all the ideas go. I can't even begin to address how wrong this is retard.

We want to go back to a time before 9/11.

Around the time these things became popular I remember going to the local game store and playing in a tournament with my friends. Yes, we literally went to a store to play with these I think they are called beyblades.

I once patented my shit. It involved a nine month incubation process and dna from your mother

Every generation does this you special snowflakes

>thread is about cultural stagnation
>posts irrelevant chart about patents

for what purpose?

You know that's not what i was talking about you absolute fucking retard.

What was the last culture that had a solid decade of its popular culture/media dominated by remakes and reboots to the degree we see nowadays?

This.

>Why are millennial trying to recreate the past through movie remakes
they arent you idoit. its boomers still in control of most companies

the idea is that things that are about 25 - 35 years old will create nostalgia for people old enough to have started a family and thus they will spend money to see shit they can take their kids to

nobody cares about those to old to reproduce

user is talking about art and culture you autist

>STEP INTO THE SPINAGOGUE

Idiots have been praising Jeebus for 2000 years. Nothing new.

It is quite interesting also that in the US the last 10 years have seen the same average GDP growth rate as the 10 years of the (first) Great Depression - a mean rate of about 1.33%. It's largely the same situation across the rest of the West too.

There's no doubt in my mind that history will remember this period as the Second Great Depression.

Because now they are feeling what Eddie Money was singing about.

youtube.com/watch?v=o0JqC2UDpoE

Culture is an entirely subjective affair based on peoples' perception of their society. Products and services however are a material reflection of the societal evolutionary process, and a nation's cultural output tends to be about the same in terms of quality as its material innovation output.
I don't even know why I'm arguing with Sup Forumstards you're all autistic baiters who think they're far more intelligent than the average.

tamagotchis? i don't think those are very popular

disney makes movies. it's what they do.

movie remakes are a safe bet to make money

next

>

fuck dude i loved these things, we would play for the chips that snaped into the top, you got 2 in every beyblade, so they were literally 5 bucks a piece, if you lost you had to give a chip, if you had no chips you couldnt play. literally every kid at recess played beyblade for chips, it was so much fun

>Culture is an entirely subjective affair BRRRRRAAAAAAAP based on peoples' *toot* perception of their society. *hnnng* plop Products and services however are a mateeeeeeeeeeeeeerial reflection of the societal evolutionary process, and a nation's cultural output tends to be about the same in terms of quality as its material innovation *poot toot* output.
>I don't even know why I'm arguing with Sup Forumstards you're all autistic baiters PBRPBRRRT who think they're far more intelligent than the SQWUEEEEP average.

I agree with you, it's sad. They're getting regurgitated content, and the original was oftentimes superior. It's because everything is created by committee, notice the aversion to making R rated movies now? Not a nice, broad demographic like the PG13 brings in.

>culture is an entirely subjective affair
>luckily I've discovered one weird trick to measure it objectively

?

You mean they're making toys for kids to play with these days? Fucking JEWS!!!

Also, making movies and games and shit has become so easy that with a budget of $50,000 anyone with an IQ over 70 could make a competent "remake" of something else. But for every shitty remake released there are good new IPs released too. There is no possible way that you can even have time to sift through the amount of new books, movies and games that are completely original getting released today.

Youre not wrong, but if youre implying that a few hundred thousand new patents on STEM shit, med shit, and all the failed products made by thousands of wannabe-Billy Mays' are somehow indicators of sweeping social evolution you're a literal mong.

Wasn't there a thing for 50's nostalgia in the 80's? Anyone else notice/remember this?

Things were simpler. I would love nothing more than to return to my responsible-less youth and play with Lego and KNEX while watching Xiaolin Showdown on Cartoon Network, on a Sky box that didn't fuck about when I wanted to swap channels on my generously fat, small-screened TV. When I was bored, I’d run naively run outside and go play in the fields, climb trees, play tag and go on stupid adventures.

Those days are fucking gone, man. Now everything’s black and white, boring and shit. I haven’t any creativity left in me, and the question that plagues my mind is ‘what can I invent that you’ll buy so that I can earn a comfortable living with minimal effort.’

The worst part about it is: my creativity masked the world in hopefulness. That’s dead and all that’s left is reality.

lol, what an arrogant retard

no. millennials are far worse at this.

Just about. It's always been easy to convince stupid little kids to buy crap.

I didn't claim that it's a objective measurement, it is clearly the closest possible underhanded estimate you fucking idiot. It's better than the OP being like HURRR WHY IS EVERYTHING JUST A REMAKE!!!

>FLUSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>has the temperature of the room changed and now everything is more dark

Yes.

Because everyone wishes they grew up in the 80s.

Remember when malls were innocent trips where you would show up and suddenly meet all your friends and everyone would just hang and go home for dinner without needing permission from your parents?

I thought there was 40s nostalgia in the 60s, 50's nostalgia in the 70s, 60's nostalgia in the 80s, 70s nostalgia in the 90s, 80s nostalgia in the 00s, and 90s nostalgia now.

remember when it was somewhat safe to walk around the neighborhood?

Also this, in the 60s to the 80s there were more white and wealthy people in America per capita so people automatically associate poppy bullshit like the Beatles with giant mobs of sexually active whites at concerts and shit. It's the only way to beat around the bush at going back to white dominated culture without getting called out for it.

Nope, I was a coddled noughties kid.

>i use to ride my bike to safeway and buy off brand cola for mega cheap

The amount of shitty shit in this vast ocean of new original IPs youre speaking of seems to be considerably larger than it has been in the past.

I think its because one too many generations of public education revolving around "le rational science also god and tradition suck" has made this generation forget how to write and think archetypally. No profundity can be found in modern original art or media or whatever because the meta-concept of a hero as described in mythology (and pretty much all art, literature, etc in the past) has been labeled as patriarchal, oppressive, and obsolete. Meaningful art conveys an old, old message about how to act in the world in a new way, and we've forgotten how the hell to act in the world.

You're also implying that hundreds of thousands of paid professional patents filed by literate people who had money to endorse and market their products are completely irrelevant to the variety of culture. With no support for your claim. So the shoe fits the other foot.

>it is clearly the closest possible underhanded estimate you fucking idiot.

No it isn't. You could look at the number of remakes currently and see how that compares to previous years for instance. 50 gorillion Juicero patents means precisely sweet fuck all about the culture

>tfw i hear 12 year olds obsessing over things that were popular well before they were even born

This might be true, but at this point you're just an old man sitting on the porch whining about how this generation is not as good. People have been making the claim you are making since classical greece. My point is this thread is retarded and there's no way to quantify whether this generation is "better" or "more diverse" or not in a reliable way.

>indulging in the zeitgeist of the present
In spite of myself, I find I just can't do this anymore.
I'm turning away from the world of today.
I've stopped reading newspapers and stopped following politics.
I read about terrorist attacks or economic decline or media lies or the world getting shittier and it's not that I don't care, but, I just don't see any solution.
Every rational solution I can think of, I know will be rejected by the system. Shot down by screaming zealots and journalist or coopted and corrupted or just defanged and made useless.
It's gone too far to turn back now. I know that collapse is inevitable, the only "solution", but its not a solution at all.
I know its all going wrong, but my mind is turning away from it. I forget things, events, ways out, the way it used to be. Drowned by the mandrake screams of the system as it pulls itself out of the earth.
There's no escape. I'd rather go deaf.

take a hike, you lying kike!

It's a calculated effort to infantilize the population. The government as an entity with personhood wants to be your legal guardian with the social media spy grid being the baby monitor.

>go to computer class 1pm after 45 minutes of refreshing recess
>*blocks my path*
>play some random game applications and try to open up a word doc

Innocent times indeed.

>I don't even know why I'm arguing with Sup Forumstards you're all autistic baiters who think they're far more intelligent than the average.

projecting

DELET THIS

Because millennials are pathetic, anti-intellectual hacks who are systematically destroying everything decent in the world. I hate every last one of them. I hate myself for being one.

So where's your fucking superior analysis of OP's post? All you've done in this thread is bait and say my claim is shitty. Do you realize that this is all that anyone on internet forums does?
>Hurr durr your claim is stupid
>Here's the reason why but I conveniently am not going to give a better version of your response
You've given three responses that are nothing but criticism with no application to your position on the contrary, which makes you nothing but a baiter. Get off the computer and get a life.

i used to think that literally every icon on the desktop was a game

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Here you go sunshine:
archive.is/uQ8st

Someone needs to make an MSN type thing where everyone hangs out and chats without the facebook wall and clutter. I miss the old days coming home from school and being super energized to logon and chat with my classmates about the latest gossip and chatter that happened at school that day.

>Comments on Reddit are the gold standard for judging the culture of a society
>Reddit
>A website on the internet with no societal or ethnic grounding whatsoever
Pardon me while I laugh even harder

This hits close to home. Black pills are bittersweet.

>"Major Releases"
>See also: Kike Hollywood mind control money machine
If you follow the mainstream media you're a fucking waterhead. Mainstream culture is not culture. Now we're really having to re-invent the wheel.

>just ignore the omnipresent mainstream media, goy
>let it lurk like a shadow
>let it cover your life like a blanket at night.
>you're comfortable with the program, aren't you goy?

YOU PEOPLE ON POL ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Mainstream culture is not culture.

The thread is about mainstream culture... The esoteric throat singing scene may be thriving but it's not really relevant to the vast majority of people. The mainstream culture is, and it is increasingly based on churning the same ideas over and over and over

It all started with Andy Warrol and pop culture. After that the west kept booting in loop of past events. For exemple, the holocaust rise to legend was only an autority argument for anti-racism or contesting mass immigration by citizens of Europe.

Before this period, everyone knew about the genocide but there was no movies, no name for it, it wasn't sacred. Shoah, a 9 hours movie changed everything.

Holocaust became the new religion of the west.

Leaders of the western world bow before it. Not because there is a conspiracy, but because it became the symbol of the new world order for undermined national governements. Even israelis can't understand that this brainwashing had of the European mindset.

Sacrement :
youtu.be/zN14mLW0jBk

another neurotic little rat snaps

Less tickets sold in 2016 than previous years even though population is increasing. Mainstream money machine films are actually on the decline you autistic fuck.

whoops you're a slippery little kike.

Millennials are cowards. Afraid to grow old and do adult things and have adult responsibility and abandon the things of their youth because it will suggest they are old. My friend went to the DMV yesterday and on facebook spammed "totally adulting today". I have no idea how adult millennials are going to take their 50's when their hair is gone, they are old and irrelevant and their tattoos and piercings look utterly ridiculous.

YOU WANT TO FUCKING TALK SHIT IN THIS THREAD I CAN FUCKING TAKE YOU THERE BITCH! I WILL DOMINATE THIS THREAD WITH MY DICK!!!!

cuck

Ever since the digital revolution in the 70s and the internet in the 90s, it's been so easy for newer generations to get a hold of the entertainment and culture from past generations from before.
In the past, most people only experienced older generations' entertainment through their parents' shit, or from stories. Now somebody born in the year 2000 can literally google anything that's 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 years old and so on and get it in an instant. For example, there's only a handful of decent movies that come out every year, but with every year that passes that adds up to a lifetime and it's ridiculously easy to experience those movies today.
We live in a society where dad-culture and grandpa-culture is even more accessible today than it was then.

i think it might have to do with the decline of people actually hanging out and doing things in person

even the worst things are fun with a couple of friends around so everythign now must seem like ass

Your kids are going to have complete access to your Facebook profile when you die and will be able to view every post you have ever made. When you die now you are no longer dead. Dudes like Joe Rogan have millions of hours of footage out there -this will never go away.

Another example is when I was a child and wanted to watch Pokemon I either had to videotape it on a VHS or buy a VHS from the store. Now you can just go to any anime website and stream it for free.

>"it says you're going to marry me user!"
>"oh. cool"
fuck my wasted youth

That easy access means that people are less exposed to the culture of the past, not more. Back when we had three channels, you'd watch old movies and be exposed to that past culture because there was nothing else on and over time you grew to appreciate it. Nowadays you can stream Pokemon 24/7 and never be exposed to anything else

Quite a lot of the reboots aren't of "Millennial" cultural icons, though. They were things Millennials had access to, but originated for the consumption of Boomers and Gen X.

That Alien game that came out a couple years back? The Friday the 13th game they released last week? The Ghostbusters reboot? All these comic book movies they're making, with characters created in the 70s, 60s, 50s, or even the 30s?

Those aren't millennial touchstones.

I think the only nationalistic kind of think that remains in our culture is for sporting events. Like when the Oilers were going far it felt like the entire city lit up and it was a cool feeling. Because of things like Netflix and Spotify generation Z already exists in their own cultural bubble and there is nothing that unites them all together.

>That easy access means that people are less exposed to the culture of the past, not more.
I disagree. People are less passionate about culture now because of how easily accessible it is, but people are exposed to culture from previous generations a lot more than before because the internet acts like an archive. If it were the 70s and you wanted to listen to Van Halen or AC/DC you had to go out and buy it at the store, today if you wanted to listen to either you can just google it.

>what is neo-romanticism

are ya yanks really this dumb, this isn't even the 3rd time

>Why are people trying to relive their youth?

Fuck if I know! It's totally a recent phenomenon.

People have to seek it out to be exposed to it though, so if they never have that initial exposure they'll never seek it out

Once livestreaming for free becomes as good as watching actual TV there is going to be no money for blockbusters or tv shows so people will naturally look back to the old days where movie and tv producers had the money to produce quality content.

Social networking exposes it to people though. People who like something will inevitably share it and more people will be exposed to that thing.

I think the overall issue now is that nobody has a genuine moment anymore.

If you go to a cool place, you have the inclination to take a picture of it and show it to friends or even post it on social media. You are not even present in that moment, you are simply another person seeing it from 3rd person like the people viewing the content on your wall.

Nobody is active in the present moment because they are interlinked with their smartphones and are constantly compelled to go into a virtual world and not be present.

every generation tries to relive their good ol days
think of the old farts at car shows, ham radio groups, folks travelling to homelands or old battlegrounds and so on
the millennials only have little "things" to fondly remember their own personal history. its the only culture they know. cars are electronic and similar so the whole classic car loving gearhead type never came up. ham radios need special licensing to do and the technology is dated. they rarely saw war and even if they did it was in the middle East where no one wants to visit. also the only immigrants go back to their homelands to get radicalized and learn how to kill western men

Millennials are pathetic manchildren and they want to stay that way till they die

/thread

This doesn't mean we're collectively lost dude, many generations have done before

It's literally the same shit. People in my generation were obsessed with the 70s

That's just how it is , folks get nostalgic for a generation their parents were part of.

Since always. You were just too young to remember.

Soon we will be nostalgic for the 2000s.