Porto Rico referendum, why isn't Sup Forums talking about it?

>mfw millions of spics officially become Americans today
>mfw a new star will fuck up your flag even more

firstpost.com/world/puerto-rico-votes-in-key-referendum-to-decide-future-of-testy-relationship-with-us-today-3541275.html

Because PR's referendum doesn't actually mean anything. You can't just have a vote and say
>hey US
>we're a state now
>add a star

Ricans are already citizens, state or not

The Democrats are going all out for the mid terms and 2020 election.

Expect them to push for every Territory having Statehood soon.

What will Trump say about it?Except they can't vote yet, now they will vote democrat and will fuck up even more America's chances to become a white ethnostate

I don't know. Maybe he won't say anything at all, or tweet some small congratulations?

Our media doesn't seem to care about this at all. The probably see that PR doesn't have a realistic chance of statehood now, even if it might just be setting the groundwork for later.

Kek

I see, what is your personal stance on the subject, all memeing aside?

>officially become Americans today

they already are. they can move to any state in the usa if they want to.

Wont ever happen thankfully. We have too many solid blue states already.

My personally, I don't see any benefit to the US for PR to become a state. It's in terrible financial shape, it already has the benefits of being a territory, it would be very inconvenient and expensive to add another star and everything else, and the only reason a politician would want PR to be a state would be to try to get more Democrat votes.

>You can't just have a vote and say
>>hey US
>>we're a state now
>>add a star
That's what Tennessee did. Its called the Tennessee plan, and its what our govt. plans to go with. Its literally just irl shitposting until you're made a state.

Actually, Dems are pushing for PR independence in Congress. Mostly because Nuyoricans don't like the idea of PR being a state.

Gonna go vote soon

Will report back

ooohhh

kwel thanks :D

>it would be very inconvenient and expensive to add another star

and it would ruin the current design.

3 rows of 9 with 3 rows of 8. I suppose we could get used to it.

What are you gonna vote for?

>irl shitposting until you're made a state
heh, good way of putting it. I think the other guy is right to watch out for what might happen 2018 or 2020 or something where the dems might be able to get something going to make a push for statehood if all the IRL shitposting goes well.

Territory

But why?

I actually don't want Puerto Rico to become a US State for a variety of reasons. Would this vote even matter today or would it be true that Congress here would just ignore it again? I'm confused about that.

Because unless they vote 70% in favor or some shit like that, congress won't entertain the idea of statehood for them. Not to mention that Puerto Rico would come in as a blue state, and with the congress being controlled by republicans, they're not going to admit them since that would mean more power to the democrats.

It's the best option on the ballot.

meh. either shit or get off the pot: statehood or independent nation.

wanting to mooch off of the mighty usa without being a real part of it is weak.

The reason I don't think they will become a state is primarily the huge amount of funding it will take to recover their infrastructure & economy from this ponzi scheme they call a bond market. The bulk of that debt is held by Wall Street and there is no way the US economy can bear them defaulting on it.

>being a second class citizen
>the best option
Nah.

>would it be true that Congress here would just ignore it again?
Our govt. will shill the results as hard as they can, but Congress will probably find some excuse to dismiss the results again.

I would love if we were a net benefit to the country but that's not possible with the current level of economic development on the island. Maybe in one or two decades we can catch up to Mississippi and become a state.

Puerto Rico has nothing to offer aside from massive debt and terrible credit. It's a third world country that should be removed from the US. Fuck off.

>from massive debt
Says the country with $20T in debnts.

Our debt is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

Becoming a state would carry more negatives than benefits. The imposition of federal income tax would make this the highest taxed jurisdiction in the United States overnight. Meanwhile we'd lose huge sources of revenue like the foreign corporation tax which would require massive tax increases or massive reductions in health and education spending to offset. We would lose incentives for industrial development on the island. The hypothetical increases in Medicaid, Medicare, food stamps and SS would not be sufficient to offset the negatives and under certain scenarios the amount of federal gibs we receive could actually decrease as a state. And the presidential vote plus congressional representation would do nothing to fix those issues. So yeah, territory is the best option on the ballot.

Fuck off retard

>I'm ok with being a second-class citizen because it means I don't get to pay as much in taxes.
Are you Jewish?

It means nothing. Nothing. Regardless of the outcome, Puerto Rico will never become a US State. This voting referendum means nothing.

How does getting a better deal than faggots in the states make us second class citizens?

> millions of spics
There are only three million people on Puerto Rico, French friendo, and you may refer to them them as "Americans," not "spics."
> become Americans
They are Americans. They were born Americans. Goddamned French education is worthless. Also, Monroe Doctrine: get the fuck out of our hemisphere, including Guiana.

>1 extra star
>flag will look even more autistic
>American shitposting about that one extra star will go on for a month on Sup Forums
High quality news, OP

>no vote
>no representation
That's how.

Maybe you think that's irrelevant, but I'd actually like being able to have some degree of input in what Congress does and who gets to be POTUS.

>second class citizens
They have US Passports.

>implying your opinion matters
Only the opinions of Jews count.

Fuck off, we need Guyane to be relevant in the space era
You can have our niggers though, seems like you don't have enough of them

That is a fair point. Still, what benefit do you provide?

Fuck off, we need Guyane to be relevant in the space era
You can have our niggers though, seems like you don't have enough of them
Thanks my man

I don't believe a vote in congress would be a net benefit and statehood proponents have never put forth a case that it would be a net benefit for the island.

Dear PR,

Please go away. No one in the USA likes you, even a little.

Sincerely,

America

>what benefit do you provide?
What benefit do 100 million minorities in the current 50 states provide?

Propit: none. We'd be on Mars right now if it wasn't for the black hole of social program funding.

Im ready to go vote for statehood

We should adopt the us flag from fallout if this happens. Fuck having 51 stars.

Here's a simple case for you. What if the US decides to hold a vote to reinstate the draft?

My name's on that Selective Service list. I don't fucking want to go die for Israel. Without voting representation, I'd have zero input in the matter. With representation, I could at least bitch at my Senator/Representative to vote against it.

Chicks with great asses?

The other 50 states could still outvote us in that scenario. And regardless the price we'd pay for congressional representation isn't worth it.

>chicks with great asses

I want pics

>muh price
Fuck off you jewish prick.

Goddamn French people are the niggers of Europe. Get the fuck out of our hemisphere.

>What if the US decides to hold a vote to reinstate the draft?
Do you think the US will reinstate a draft before you are 26 years old?

Perhaps... Man when I went to your island I could not believe I was on US soil. Felt like Tegucigalpa but more random.

Did white people ever build up your infrastructure or anything?

Kek, says the literal nigger of the world

Do you really think age restrictions will matter if shit REALLY hits the fan?

Kinda? Spaniards did to an extent, but they were more interested in exporting sugar cane and taking our gold.

There was an infrastructure boom in the 60s and 70s when PR was a manufacturing tax haven for US companies, but that all dried up like 20 years ago.

That's pride fucking with your head kid. The only thing that matters at the end of the day is are you better off under X or under Y. "Representation in congress will make me feel better about myself" is not an argument. You'd need to present a case that with 1% of the votes in congress you'll be able to get a better deal than what we have now, and the people promoting statehood have not been able to make that case.

>All that matters is that I'm well off, who cares if other people pay for it?
Disgusting.

I'm not comfortable condemning my people to poverty just so we can brag about having some votes in congress.

>not comfortable condemning people to poverty
>when 45% already live in poverty
Yeah, being a territory is totally the best option.

Ah. That sucks man, hope your economy kicks up soon, although with the world what it is at the moment it doesn't look good for anyone.

Nothing personal against your island, just don't see it helping either of us. If anything being an independent nation would allow you to become better off. You could become a tax haven and stay on the dollar or manufacture goods at a fraction of the shipping costs of our other trade partners.

The option that results in least poverty is territory.

>45% poverty is the best we can do
You know what. Fuck all this.

I'm moving to the mainland by 2020.

Being a territory provides us with more tools for reducing poverty than statehood. Once we get to Mississippi levels of poverty we can have this statehood discussion.

I really don't understand your train of thought here.

Mississippi (a state) has a much lower poverty level than PR (a territory). BUT, PR somehow needs to catch up to Mississippi despite playing by different rules and having all sorts of extra advantages for the last 65 years.

If being a territory has afforded us all these advantages, why are we doing so poorly? Worse than any state?

It will end up like Hawaii. The indengengous people will be removed or forced into ghettos and the entire island will be turned into an expensive playground for the rich.

False. They pay taxes, get no benefits and almost no representation.
They are essentially colonies.

The indigenous people were removed by the Spaniards a long time ago, m8. All that's left now are mulattoes and mestizos.

We don't pay ALL the taxes though. Only some.

Bro we started off as a giant sugar cane plantation with 90% poverty rate when the Americans annexed us. We're still behind Mississippi because we started off way behind them. Despite our economy growing faster than the United States in the 60s (thanks to being a territory) we still have catching up to do.

Either way it's going to become Hawaii 2.0

Lol you dont get all the rights and benefits too so :/
Congress even refused to give you enough to cover the medicare and state school funding deficit.
PR should give them an ultimatum. Statehood or Independence. Honestly dont understand why you guys want to remain a colony.

>Implying they weren't Americans already.

That ship sailed a long time ago. They should have done statehood 100 years ago when assimilation was mandatory and Gibs didn't fucking exist.

Why don't you just turn all of the Caribbean in to US states?

Hawaii isn't strategicallly located between the world's biggest producers and the world's biggest consumers of illegal drugs. Hawaii 2.0 won't happen quite like you think

Don't forget that PR has basically no bargaining power against the US and issuing demands would be largely meaningless.

It probably would only get bargaining power if we all decided to explore independence.

This. You can see it coming

Because "much imperialism" and Confederate apologists liked the idea so they could have slave states, so to normies it's unthinkable.

Plus, why the fuck would we want to annex Haiti and Jamaica?

Reminder that Peurto Rico is a slum full of niggers and spics.

The whole region is total garbage and is littered with shanty towns that resemble some African or South American shitholes. Imagine Liberia becoming a state. It would be something like that.

Interesting tidbit

Hahahahaha yeah when they get Jamaica Chiraq will look like a walk in the park
>Mfw they often state they'd rather be ruled by us again
>Mfw they're a bunch of crazy murderous Yardie psychos

Beautiful place, burger. You'd love it. I think you send your army medics to KGH already to learn gunshot wound techniques

So a shit ton of Japanese are going to start moving there?

>Plus, why the fuck would we want to annex Haiti and Jamaica?

Because you love niggers?

Except Hawaii isn't a shithole full of rampant violent crime and mental retardation stemming from race mixing

Haiti is so bad even the most retarded BLM Democrat would never contemplate it.

You took 250k kids in when there was that earthquake

>took 110~ years to go from 90% to 45% poverty
So by that logic it'll take another 20~ years to reach Mississippi levels?

Yeah like I said, fuck this I'm leaving.

Yeah, with all kinds of shady human trafficking ties, so good knows what the fuck happened to them.

Not the same as annexing the entire country so it can be another Democrat housing project.

If I recall correctly, Trump said he'd follow through with what the people vote for

He did. But then again, he's not beyond changing his stance on an issue.

I doubt Trump would change his mind on what the people want.
Especially if he has the UN jumping up his ass about it.

Would look great imo

aren't all the big pharma companies making their pills in PR? a friend of mine says there is some shady reason the pharma corps all manufacture their products in PR but I cannot remember his reasoning

>qt Japanese girlfriend will be a possibility in my lifetime
STATEHOOD NOW

I don't think he really has a magic wand in this case anyway. If there is overwhelming support in one direction or the other, he kind of has to go with the flow.

Well i voted

lol wtf is with those shapes? Do people recognize them from TV campaigns or something?

>those symbols

Wtf?

They started moving factories in the 90s for tax purposes. Not sure how many are still left.

>t. Ex-Pharma employee

Yea

>inb4 nationalists make flag with 50 stars and one asterisk

Loser.