USS Fitzgerald-Philippine Cargo Ship Collision

Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Fitzgerald and some Flip cargo ship collide.

>Fitz is flooded in 3 compartments
>Listing 6-9 feet freeboard downward on the starboard (very near design limit)
>7 sailors missing
>Captain and 2 sailors Helo-EVAC'd to a NASH
>Limping to port at 3 knots
>Just received $20 Million upgrade
>22 year old Arleigh Burke-class destroyer
>One of 62 operational with 7 more launched and in trials or build with maybe 10 more planned

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-naval-vessel-collides-merchant-ship-southwest-japan-n773521

Other urls found in this thread:

imonumber.com/vessels/acx-crystal-9360611
youtube.com/watch?v=o1dvBIQlNLI
youtube.com/watch?v=n8qCkVklFWE
youtu.be/iWFd-2_f-NE
youtube.com/watch?v=KvRYd8U7qGY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Chinese have very advanced radar spoofing, they use algorithms and jamming equipment to overlap signal return to hide an object. Its unidirectional so its like holding up a picture of empty ocean/sky in front of the object you'd like to hide and its deadly when used on aircraft or missiles.
The Chinese like everyone else can also spoof GPS to send a ship off course. The Fitzgerald should be using advanced GPS to prevent this but the ACX Crystal would not.
The Chinese are pissed about US ships in the South China Sea, THAAD missile systems in South Korea, and US efforts to strong arm Chinese cooperation in dealing with North Korea.
In such a congested waterway it would be all too easy to find a large ship who's path intersects with a US warship's at about the same time, trick the ACX Crystal's GPS/autopilot into altering its course, and blinding the USS Fitzgerald's radar to the approaching ship.
The proof would be in the GPS coordinates of the two ships at the time of the collision and if the Crystal thought she was somewhere else. LOOK at the Crystal's path imonumber.com/vessels/acx-crystal-9360611 (hit track) to me its a little suspicious that it changed course (around 16:17 UTC) approximately 15 minutes prior to the incident, the path seems akward. To my mind, it would have plotted a more natural curve or it would have changed course earlier assuming the turn at 20:28 was a previously designated waypoint on its originally plotted course.

Unless more information comes out that conflicts with this theory my money says China is behind the incident. This is the new cold war.

I never thought the First Cold War ended.

lel when will the us stop getting btfo? first their army gets btfo by some vietnam farmers and now their navy gets btfo by a literal philapean rice transporter
lmaaooo

Or maybe they had a rural or suburban retard as a captain of that ship.
>american military

DASH CAM FOOTAGE FROM FITZ!

youtube.com/watch?v=o1dvBIQlNLI

>Best Korea has been launching land-ship missiles at South Korea to intimidate them.
>China is pissed that the US put THAAD in South Korea.
>US navy ship gets hit by a """"""Filipino merchant ship""""""
>world war three doesn't start

A FUCKING RICE SHIP SINKED AN AMERICAN DESTROYER

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

We can hope a smart general figures it out and executes Wing Attack Plane R. R for Robert to his wing.

youtube.com/watch?v=n8qCkVklFWE

>lost

>7 sailors missing
Join the navy they said

I guess the US Navy did not see it coming.

Is this the new Remember the guy who shot first?

'Member the last time an Asian navy sank our battleship?

Ooohhh! I 'member!

McKinley is famous for saying, "Put the Philippines on the map."

We can do it again.

>Arleigh Burger-class destroyer

Bbbuuuutttt her emails doh!

Colliding with the merchant navy is greatest insult to any member of the navy. Soldiers should be better seaman than this.

>Hello, Missile?
>SHIP BROKE
>understandable, have a nice day.

>I never thought the First Cold War ended.

I never said it did.

How the shit do you even manage to collide with something as massive and slow as a cargo vessel as a destroyer? Even if the radar didn't work, did nobody look out the window?

yeah, 7 of them went outside to check how close they were to it.

what country is that on the top left? I thought only the US didn't use metric...

So you're telling me, that on a destroyer crewed by hundreds of sailors, not one person saw the massive cargo ship barreling toward them in time to enact evasive maneuvers?

Whom had right of way?

Severely and criminally underrated.

'Murica... We always have the RIGHT of way.

Why did you even ask?

g8 b8 m8 r8 an 8

i think the slower, larger vessel has the right of way since a smaller ship would be easier to maneuver and avoid.

The nation who's Navy could destroy the entire country the cargo ship came from in minutes.

im not referring to the US you fucking retard, Im talking about that country to the left of the country above the US

Not in international water. But good shit post.
Civil to Civil this is the rule, I dunno if it changes with Mil even in int water.

I guess I'm a fool for trying to think this seriously here. But in regards to this being a serious issue, who was in the wrong matters a lot.

>cargo ship collision
I got here as fast as I could now wheres the loot?

Not working user.

In most situations, I think you're correct.

> sinked

Lurk more

The CO, who was airlifted out, is done. That's for sure. Doesn't really matter whose fault it was.

no matter who is at fault the navy really fucked up. how do you even let a cargo container sneak up on you and broadside you even if you had the right of way?

I'm not disagreeing with you but if this is a case where someone ran a "red light" you can't fault someone as much.

Look I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right yet, I'm asking what happened.

The cargo container is fine lmao...
Go Navy
lolololololololol

FUCK

It was 2am

nice shit post on trips but compare sizes. It's like saying LOL look a semi crushed a ford focus. No shit.

how fucked is the captain of that ship

what punishment do you get for crashing this boat

>Burgers keep using Windows OS to navigate
>Windows OS can't even into math, calculator throws out random numbers
>Entire US fleet sinks
>Profit

You forget france? Your founding nation, and still national language.

Destroyer is fucked and the cargo is fine. NK hiring cargos at the moment kek

the only ship he will be commanding is the toy in his bathtub

also everyone on the bridge. they all dun goofed

>crashing this boat
With no survivors?

How the fuck does this even happen? I thought anything that came within like a mile of a US Navy ship without authorization was shot to shit on the spot?

Bane memes will never get old.

The torpedo shaped part of the container ship below the waterline would have punched through the destroyers hull, but yea the destroyer needs to be light an maneuverable. For a 500ft ship that is...

>container ship of peace

The bulbous bow is pretty big, if that got hit then it would damage the merchant vessel.

so invade canada?

i do believe that is the republic of kekistan, ive heard they make the best chicken tendies

this calls for war nuke the ricers when?

Container ship attacks are just part and parcel of a large global trade economy.

You fucking stupid burger cunts are useless, too many niggers genes.

>americuck CIA agents try to go to flipland to clean up their involvement in recent mudslime revolt there
>gets accidentally cucked by shitty flip boat
top kek

Wrong. It is determined by who is approaching which side of the vessel. In short, imagine you're looking at the bow of your ship.
If someone is crossing left to right, You have the right of way.
If they're crossing right to left, they have the right of way.
If they're coming up from behind you, you have the right of way and they need to keep away from you.
If you're meeting head on, standard procedure is for both to turn right, and leave the other off to the left (port) side

That cocky attittude of every burger has caused more troubles than anything in world... I remember some audio (people say it's fake and some say it's true) that showed the cocky attitude of a aircraft carrier to a FUCKING LIGHTHOUSE. Carrier was demanding the FUCKING LIGHTHOUSE to move or they would shoot it. It was a big stormy day

>Navy destroyer worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
>Destroyed by a civilian merchant ship without a single shot fired.

Muh stronkest navy, muh defense budget.
Proof that for all tax money spent on defense, we would still get cucked by guerilla warfare.

That is an incredibly fake transcript. I'm trying to find a report about an aircraft carrier that struck a merchant ship in the 60s or 70s. It's a case study on how there are too many heads in the wheelhouse and that can cause shitty maneuvers or delayed actions that cause collisions

Been on a few ships, not any of these super high tech ones. We just normally have radar and fucking windows where people looked out.
Worked pretty good

Were just gonna have to accept container ship attacks as a part of living in a modern global economy, its the new normal

lel id love to see amerilards try to invade canada

Its a carrier now? I thought it was a cruiser. Maybe it is fake.

And turn gay? No thanks, your part-time ski instructor and drama teacher PM is doing a good job of that on his own.

>he doesn't know that Britain still uses Imperial

It happened at 0230

It is an urban legend in my country but if true it was the USS Lincoln

how tf do you keep the radar wave from not bouncing back???

This the transcript.

youtu.be/iWFd-2_f-NE

I also thought about this , as this user has pointed , the Chinese do have the jamming tech to fool the systems, but, really, not one fucking sailor saw anything? And we are talking about a cargo ship here, user, this is migthy suspicious.

Searching it seems that the destroyer ship that shot the tomahawk to Syria actually crashed into an oil ship in 2012. 984 ft long oil ship and they fucking didnt see it

If someone knew an applicable answer to that it would revolutionize naval warfare

you can't

He is full of shit saying that you can "hold up an empty picture of the ocean". Radar doesn't work like that.

You can bombard the receiver with bogus radar signals. This would be the equivalent of screaming at someone trying to find an object with echo location. Also note the side effect is the jammer is easy to detect.

It's called the law of tonnage, and you are correct. That being said, a military boat can tell you to move or shoot a missle at you. I usually think the law of the Tomahawk outweighs the law of tonnage.

All these butthurt burgers

>a fucking rice ship

He doesn't know that Australia also participated in this war and is probably the sole reason for the loss

That's not the one I'm thinking of, but I can't dig it up. I am a merchant sailor, and went to a college to become such. One of the classes we had was analysing all sorts of collisions and allisions.
TL;DR for Navy/Merchant collisions:
>Contact is made
>Course correction is made
>Something changes, nobody notices
>On collision course with other vessel
>Navy vessel demands they change course
>Getting closer
>Call is made to change course/speed
>Dumb call, makes it even worse
>Evasive action
>Bam

Sailing is one of the few times where less is more. There are a lot of chances for miscommunication or muddled orders in a wheelhouse with like, ten or twelve people. On a merchant vessel with 1-3 people in the wheelhouse, rudder and speed and CPA adjustments are more streamlined.
Something on the order of 90%+ casualties at sea are attributed to human error. Makes sense that adding more humans only increases that risk

Bullshit.
If it was about radar jamming, the US ship would have detected it and activated full combat readiness. So... it was not radar jamming. So... Radar war ok.
Next. GPS. Maybe GPS can be spoofed silently. However, I am sure the ship should have had inertial navigation system as well. If GPS data is not equal to INS nav system data that it is a good reason to rise alert state.

The "rule of tonnage" has no legal standing and is not mentioned in the IMO Navigation Rules. The rule of tonnage is just a common sense courtesy, but wouldn't cover your ass if you got into an accident by going against the rules to avoid a larger ship.
There is an order to which ships should avoid which and power driven vessels, even if they're a thousand foot, 80,000 DWT tanker, are at the bottom of the food chain, meaning they must avoid everything.
Power Driven Vessel

>>If it was about radar jamming, the US ship would have detected it and activated full combat readiness.
I know, that makes it even more suspicious.
>>Maybe GPS can be spoofed silently.
Well, the Chinese did send to space that weird quantum telecommunications satellite, maybe it has other uses as well ?
>>If GPS data is not equal to INS nav system data that it is a good reason to rise alert state.
Its a basic safe guard system for any modern military ship, the thing i dont buy is that nobody saw anything (or at least , it wasnt reported).

Maybe we are seeing the Gulf of Tonkin 2.0 ?

youtube.com/watch?v=KvRYd8U7qGY

This, the US Navy probably just thought "LOL WE'RE MURRICA, THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, YOU GET OUT OF THE WAY PHILIPPINES"
Typical arrogant americans.

MOST POWERFUL RACE OF THE WORLD

Wich one would win? The entire us navy or 1 flip cargo ship? Well we got the answer already

What happens when ships collide?
I mean they're going some 40-50km per hour at least, I'm interested in physics aspect, why is it different from car crash, is it because ships are far more massive?

Basically, I'm asking, why isn't the crew wrecked when their ship hits another ship?

The merchant vessel had the right of way because the destroyer was hit on its starboard side or green side so technically they should have yielded under International Maritime Law. Realistically the retards on watch on the bridge weren't paying attention to radar or their surroundings.

replace China with Russia and i'll believe it

probably will turn out that they had some gangbang on the bridge

>destroyed
>returned to her homeport under her own power

What ships and rate pussy?

Just to drop more weaps for them milfs and isis..

>survived direct ramming from a cargo ship

USA USA USA