Does 1984 scare anyone else?

Does 1984 scare anyone else?

Scare as in, you can see your society - most societies and countries - becoming the dystopian shithole portrayed in the book? Even when I first read the book in my youth it unnerved me because the people living in Oceania were helpless. Nobody could ever escape the bubble, regardless of how in favour they were with the government.

However back then it eased me to know that nowhere in the West would become like that... but every day that hopefulness dies a little more and adds to the genuine fear that soon we will be living in dystopian societies. I'm slightly terrified.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReleasedToElsewhere
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As long as I have my 2nd, the scares are minimal.

Brave New World is scarier.

2ndd

2+2=?

1984 doesn't scare me too much. Our government is far too incompetent to actually uphold such a system.

1984 is barely happening nigger, what is truly happening is brave new world
you see, in 1984 the goverment would control all news and information and resulting in our enslavement, this is not the case.
But in Brave New World the government encourages mass distribution of entertainment because it pacifies the people, when you have hundreds of series to watch, thousands of movies and videogames why would you care about anything?
society is being consumed by only what is amusing and entertaining thus drowning anything of relevance, it's much easier to do this than to become a complete dictatorship, and that's what's truly happening.

Daily reminder: Jake Tapper has a George Orwell quote pinned on his twitter

There are four lights user, don't forget

People willingly gave up their freedoms already, I don't really care much at this point. There's plenty of untamed wilderness in America still at least

It's 2017 you mong we already missed that timeline.

this is what every leftist cuck says without realizing WERE ALREADY IN 1984 YOU STUPID FAGGOT

My name? Oh let me tell you my name. Uh, I'm confused. Because uh you know, like we're supposed to believe in the ministry, right? So is, uh, is the church and state supposed to be seperate? I'm confused cuz I never went to school. Right? Is a confused person get a resolution? I don't understand. You see, when you go like that, right, you have a cross, right. Two sticks, right. And that's how I felt when I was in Waterloo. Cuz when I walked in Waterloo and smiled at people, they treated me like a vampire. They used the cross and they went like this by not smiling at me. In Toronto, hey hi guys, you know me. Steve Spiros. Easy going? Those who know me, I'm a nobody. You understand? And you can't kill a person with no body. So, why am I afraid? I'm not afraid. I'm afraid of the boogeyman, who is the Boogeyman? You figure it out! I'm getting out of here. I'm going back to Waterloo where the vampires hang out! And I'm going to wear my sunglasses at night. You know why? Because women show their tits, have short skirts, and then they feel violated when I look at them! Why? Because I have sunglasses on and I'm weird. Uh, I'm from humberside. I'm sorry if I made a fool of humberside. But all those people who called me a sleepwalker, I woke up. now I'm going back to sleep because I'm going to be committed in an isolation room, because I'm going back to the ministry and allow them to perceive me as I am! A fuck up! Goodbye! Hey Toronto the good. Look at the square! It was a shithole when I worked here. Now it looks like New York Manhattan! Where are the bums? There's no bums here. Toronto doesn't have bums. But Waterloo, they're creating bums! They created me. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's the church. Talk to the pope, he knows everything. I had it! I'm gonna die! How can you die, when you're dead. Oh wait a second, I'm going to be crucified, right? I'm not going to raise my voice, because I'm committed to the Lord. I love you.

we're not nigger, Sup Forums would never exist under a true 1984 government, censorship is happening with full force only in shithole countries like Turkey.

Theresa May's policies on internet surveillance makes us all safer. The government is Strong and Stable. Britain is about to enter a golden age.

I doubt you've ever picked a book in your life, burger.

1984 is Harry Potter normie pleb shit.

A Brave New World is what you should read.

It's the book the globalists and left don't want you to read.

what's wrong with brave new world? everybody's happy, everybody feels that the belong somewhere and are satisfied even the beta and omegas. The society is super-advanced technological, outcasts and rebels to the society aren't even treated badly or killed. instead even they get a place where they can be happy and satisfied with likeminded. The only "dystopic" part was the ban on religion. but seriously id gladly trade that away

Haven't the based one on me but this'll do

This is what pol looks like for bongs when lads?

the scary thing is being a slave without realizing it, at least in 1984 you know very well what's happening, but in Brave New World we are subverted silently, like the devil with cotton shoes, in 1984 a lot of people hates the government, there's a chance for revolution, but in brave new world we will be so pacified and enslaved by entertainment that we never will.

Agreed, BNWw is actually a utopia.
Why wouldn't I want easy sex and drugs?

It's the dystopian society no one sees coming because they're too busy being little more than well-fed cattle.

It's interesting to read that commentary from Norway, by the way.

Brave new world's populace control in a 1984 setting yeah, but in the world the noble savage visited i can't say i saw many flaws. Nobody gave a shit that he didn't wanna drug himself, have orgies and other normie shit. He was free to do whatever he wanted

We're already there, especially the UK.

Who cares? People are happy, they have jobs, everyone is well off.
Literally nothing is wrong. The o ly people who oppose BNW are people who ironically want humanity to suffer or struggle.
No thanks, I can't think of a better life than easy sex, entertainment and drugs. That's heaven

The 3rd part scared the shit out of me.

Right.
So, why is it that countries like that have such high rates of depression and suicide?

don't you understand that we are getting poorer by the day? BNW setting is great for the jewish elites, they already multiplied their wealth since the 2008 crisis while we barely recovered, have you seen any of that in the news? but you've seen about the kardashians and beyonce twins, we're being pacified allowing the jewish elites to take everything away while giving us the scraps, stop being a good goy.

>depression
Depression isn't a real thing. It was made up by (((them))) to steal your money. If you feel "depressed" you should work harder.

It's hell on Earth for intellectuals. The only way to be free is to reach the top and become a controller.

It's like the world in the Psycho-Pass anime.

- no individuality
- thinking outside of the box is punished
- the controllers are sociopaths

The controller in A Brave New World got into his position for doing unethical research. His intelligence and curiosity got recognized and used to keep the system in place.

The system has a life of its own. It seduces highly intelligent sociopaths to serve it in exchange for power.

It isn't?
But suicide is a real thing, right?
And when you look at the countries that have the highest rates of depression, they also have the highest rates of suicide.
So whether you think depression is real or not is irrelevant because it's self reported and that self reporting directly correlates with the countries suicide rate.

an honest unbiased look on depression:
it's real, but it's way way over-diagnosed these days.

And then he kills himself after he realizes actual freedom was all but dead in that world.

But it's the struggle that builds one's character and gives meaning to life. That theme in particular is addressed in the book by the rejection of religion and everything it represents to man. Contrast with Paul's teachings on suffering and hope, for example:

>Not only that, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.
Romans 5:3-5

As long as I have entertainment I don't care others are rich.They can have rhe world as long as I am happy.
So the other 99% should be miserable because of a few malcontents?

Why would I want to struggle? Seriously, people prefer ease and entertainments give it to them

You need to switch the word "struggle" for the word "grow."
Do that and you'll see why you should strive for it.

Because without something to strive for life becomes meaningless hedonism. I honestly don't think it's in the nature of man to desire that kinds of life either, reason why there are always new causes to fight for and social movements to follow.

nigger, i don't know in what world you're living in, you probably still live with your parents or something, you clearly don't pay bills, we are struggling a fucking lot we are earning much less because of mass migration, things are as expensive as ever.
please come back to discuss this when you've become an adult.

Srill males no sense. I want the state to give me everything it can and see no reason to bust my ass
I disagree. With automation we can enter a phase when work is a thing of the past and we can lead lives of ease. Imagine a world where no one worked all.day and we could all just sit around and watch tv until the sun explodes

That's my point: BMW is a utopia because it eliminated struggle and strife.

>until the sun explodes
We would probably bore ourselves to death long before that.

>reading books after 1800
>calls others plebs

The religion ban was an utopic aspect.

Nicely put.
When we say, struggling is good for you, you should seek it out, I believe we're misunderstood.
What they hear is, leave your comfortable nest and go pound rocks.
What we're actually saying is STRIVE TO IMPROVE:
If you're in poverty STRUGGLE to get out of it. You'll grow.
If you're unhappy being alone, STRUGGLE to find a mate.
You'll grow.
RAISE YOUR STANDARDS AND STRUGGLE TO LIVE UP TO THEM, REPEAT.
You'll grow.
This process is called making the most of oneself. Living up to ones potential. TRUE HAPPINESS; TRUE FULFILLMENT.
Instead of a passive happiness from watching a good TV show that leaves you w/ an empty feeling when it's over.
But hey, to each his own. Maybe he's right. Maybe chips and pop and movies and weed is the path to true fulfillment.

Not for poor John

Yeah, any kind of improvement necessarily involves a struggle. Take the struggle away from any of those things and they instantly become devoid of meaning.

Not to make it an argument against entertainment though, there are many forms of entertainment that exercise struggle in some way or another, such as sports. Whether playing or watching a sport, as long as people are striving for improvement, then we can't say it's meaningless.

Yeah I like chips and pop and movies and weed as much as the next guy.
But I find they go down much easier if I do that after a long hard day of work moving towards my goals.
During times of unemployment, the chips and pop and weed and movies go down bitter.
That's what happens when your lifes foundation is devoid of any kind of meaning.

>rebels to the society aren't even treated badly or killed. instead even they get a place where they can be happy and satisfied with likeminded
Does anyone honestly believe there's some kind of island of the dissidents?
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReleasedToElsewhere

Off yourself delta