What makes them the only decent African country?

What makes them the only decent African country?

Other urls found in this thread:

reason.com/archives/2016/10/04/happy-birthday-botswana
siteresources.worldbank.org/AFRICAEXT/Resources/258643-1271798012256/Botswana-success.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=ok88KlsZT9o
youtube.com/watch?v=l2g_DA_Rxqc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ethnical homogeneity, non killing of white people doing business there.
And diamonds, lots and lots of diamonds.

I assume you mean Namibia?

>the only decent African country
>Botswana

Fucking what?

we'll it definitely ain't Suid-Afrika

Washington/Jefferson tier early leaders who were willing to do transfers of power based on elections.

I think they're still largely single party though, so whatever.

landlocked places are always shit

They still use British-influenced law from what i know.

So is Singapore. Dis could be gud.

Actually it was Libya until recently but basically this

No Zuma

Namibia is a lot better.

SA is where whites get beaten to death because they forgot their rifle before leaving their compound.

That is not a comparison I would have come up with myself but that is indeed similar.

They speak english. They have a comparatively high level of respect for property rights and law that other African nations don't have. They arn't opposed to white people existing so there wasn't capital flight and expropriation.

reason.com/archives/2016/10/04/happy-birthday-botswana

They are all also relatively resource poor except for diamonds. The diamonds help bring in cash but they arn't reliant upon that for their entire economy like other states are upon the price of oil or copper. So they developed an actual economy instead of being just a resource exporter, kinda like Taiwan. That same resource emptiness also meant it didn't get fucked over by colonialism as much. It's hard to build a functional economy when the entirety of your infrastructure incentives resource extraction and nothing else.

I think they are also relatively ethnically homogeneous for an African country. And they have metal cowboys and are even given a 2 stability rating in Twilight Struggle.

Ethnically homogenous apart from bumfuck desert ooga boogas

They weren't actually colonised properly, they invited the British to make them a protectorate to defend them from their enemies. So they get all the benefit of British infrastructure with none of the drawbacks of being colonised. Also ensures that they admire British culture and the contributions of whites to their country instead of being weird and resentful

Diamonds

Pre-colonial democratic tradition

They do have some problems, like a lack of economic diversity and an AIDS epidemic

Another useful read if you want to have a sense for why Botswana became decent.

siteresources.worldbank.org/AFRICAEXT/Resources/258643-1271798012256/Botswana-success.pdf

Take your time and actually enjoy reading it. Especially make sure to understand what it's talking about when it discusses the "Dutch Disease." Resources can often be a curse not a boon. Sometimes they can be managed, like Norway with oil. But more often it causes poor incentives and bad macroeconomic trends.

So is Equatorial Guinea, the richest country in Africa. Huh, I think I see a pattern here.

Richest country is kinda misleading. It's true in an absolute sense becaucse yeah, being extremely tiny and next to a shitton of oil will make you rich. But that wealth is captured by an elite few and a corrupt government. Take that elite away though and it's per capita wealth and well being is pathetic.

>But that wealth is captured by an elite few and a corrupt government
As opposed to democratic governments, where there is very little corruption and very high equality right?
They actually seem to invest in infrastructure and try to diversify the economy, so it's not that bad.
youtube.com/watch?v=ok88KlsZT9o

Namibia is good too

Americans are moving there

youtube.com/watch?v=l2g_DA_Rxqc

Yeah absolutely. Compare Equatorial Guinea situation to any comparably sized country that's more democratic and less dependent upon a single resource. For africa we can use Seychelles, Ghana, Tanzania, Botswana, and Zambia. All more democratic. All less corrupt. Granted a lot of those have a much higher population. But for quick comparison purposes they are situated in Africa, are more democratic, are more diversified and less corrupt than Equatorial Guinea. And the results show.

That said it doesn't really matter if there are democratic countries that are more corrupt than Equatorial Guinea. No one denies that a democratic country can be corrupt. But it's definitely true that democratic countries are less inclined to extreme corruption than non-democratic countries. And besides, the question is whether or not Equatorial Guinea has a history of, and currently is, used that wealth to create a prosperous & economically diversified society. And it largely hasn't and a few show projects arn't going to change that.