Christians of Sup Forums - Do you read the Bible?

Christians only.

Do you read the Bible? Do you believe it to be the actual holy word of God?
Do you trust ALL of the writing in it? Or do you believe it to simply be a basis for morality and Christianity?

Other urls found in this thread:

oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/doctrine-scripture/the-bible/word-of-god
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola_scriptura
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola_fide
bible.org/passage
bible.com/bible/1/GEN.1.kjv
m.youtube.com/watch?v=W08MS3ndUX0
yahoo.com/news/iraqi-christians-face-apos-death-200731868.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent
talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/phylo.html
youtube.com/watch?v=kFtI_mVOXbQ
youtu.be/pQExfNAsDU0
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_Mary
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF170B126002E7CB0
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6BB648B46654467F
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Protestants are not Christians

I can't read.

yes
t. rabbi goldstein

So there isn't a single verse in the Bible with which you disagree?

Would you say that you live up to those tenants as best you can? Is it something you struggle with, or do you find that conviction comes easily to you?

These are my feelings on the bible, but I am quoting another:

>It is the faith of the Orthodox Church that the Bible, as the divinely-inspired Word of God in the words of men, contains no formal errors or inner contradictions concerning the relationship between God and the world. There may be incidental inaccuracies of a non-essential character in the Bible. But the eternal spiritual and doctrinal message of God, presented in the Bible in many different ways, remains perfectly consistent, authentic, and true.

oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/doctrine-scripture/the-bible/word-of-god

Yes. Yes. Yes. No.

Hey rabbi, whatcha doin'? Is correct, Protties are Neo-Jews poorly attempting to larp as Christians.

bible is the word of god unchanged and is infallible en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola_scriptura

Is that to say there are passages you disagree with, but assume that those are merely inaccuracies made by the men who wrote the actual human words? Which ones do you believe to be inaccurate?

So when it comes to acts and thoughts forbidden or compelled in Leviticus, for example, do you attempt to abstain from or act upon all of them, where appropriate? Or do you accept the Word, but resign to your own mortal fallibility, and realize that you cannot live up to each of those standards?

I was baptized as a baby so I guess I'm technically christian.

>Do you read the Bible?
I read it once. 2/5

>Do you believe it to be the actual holy word of God?
Fuck no. You even history bro?

>Do you trust ALL of the writing in it?
nope but the instructions on building a tent are pretty good. somewhere in the old testament i think they were.

>do you believe it to simply be a basis for morality and Christianity?
I honestly don't give a fuck.

>when it comes to acts and thoughts forbidden or compelled in Leviticus

I do not set aside the grace of God. For if righteousness comes through the Law, Christ died for nothing.”
Galations 2:21
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola_fide

>Do you read the Bible?
Yes
Put simply, yes.
>Do you trust ALL of the writing in it or do you believe it to simply be a basis for morality and Christianity?
I put my trust in every word of it.

Just starting to read it on my own. I believe it's the word of God.

I don't agree with everything, but I pray for the Lord to help me understand.

But the five solae came about during and after the Protestant Revolution, is that to say that you DON'T believe that the Bible is the word of God, but that that word was amended hundreds of years after the death of Christ?

So, there isn't a single verse you can think of that you disagree with? Do you struggle to find context for some verses that you may have a difficult time reconciling?

There's nothing I disagree with. It's just variations in wording.

P.S. Levitical law was given "to the house of Israel". Not to the Gentiles. Read Acts. It will help.

Great topic!
Depends on the translation, subject, question. For example I believe the earth is over 400 million years old, and other dimensions as science illustrates, however believe in Jesus, God, HS, the resurrection and the anointing of the Holy Spirit.

I want to convert.

Do I have to be formally baptised? Or is it enough to simply give a sincere prayer to Jesus for my sins to be forgiven and accepting Him as my Lord?

Yes, yes, yes, some is non-literal allegory, Sola Scriptura is a vile heresy.

>So, there isn't a single verse you can think of that you disagree with?
It doesn't matter if I personally disagree with it, because if God says it, it must be right. Tough, but that's just the way things are.
>Do you struggle to find context for some verses that you may have a difficult time reconciling?
Sometimes, but really that reflects my ignorance on the scriptures.

>Do you read the Bible?
Yes, every night and the gospel
Yes, written by mens but they words are holy from God.
Yes, otherwise I wouldn't believe they are the holy words from God
>Or do you believe it to simply be a basis for morality and Christianity?
I believe it. I cannot believe that a book like the Bible is just pure fiction after all the history of humanity.

I was raised Catholic (I know), and my understanding has always been that there is no other way to be absolved of Original Sin than by Baptism.

Yes, you need to be baptized by an ordained Priest of an Apostolic branch. Don't let the minions of Satan known as "Protestants" tell you otherwise (or claim they have Apostolic authority, which they explicitly don't.)

Catholicism is the only true Church of Christ, user

A fine distinction MUST be made between old and new testament.

Old testament literally means "old will"

new means "new will"

new testament is the new will of god.

Okay, I'll do that as soon as possible.

My Bible arrived today, I'm starting to read this tomorrow

Catechism classes are usually in fall, you can contact your local Catholic parish for information. If they have a website, they'll typically list that information there as well, possibly under the name of RCIA.

I've read some parts in French. I like the Ecclesiastes, the prophetic books, and John.

Now I would like to read the English version: is this one any good? bible.org/passage

>Do you read the Bible?
Yes

That's what it says

Yes. However, I would definitely like to know more about why certain sects consider books to be cannon where most don't.

>Do you believe it to simply be a basis for morality and Christianity?
People who don't take the bible literally and say it's just a guideline on how to behave morally are not Christians. They usually were born into it or are Christian for other reasons. People question their faith and the bible and rather than do any research or work they just throw their hands up and give that bullshit response.

Jesus is Lord. Of course I trust it all to be true.

It's the infallible word of God, including the part about Peter being the first Pope.

Yes. I believe it is the word of God given to Farmers. Is it technically accurate, it's not supposed to be, it's complex. As we get closer to unlocking the Mysteries, we get further from the Light of God. One day he will return. Maybe soon. Maybe not.

Is this a collection of audio readings? The KJV does a great job of capturing a lot of the nuance and poetry from the original, but it can be difficult to read. NIV and ESV should be an ok place to start. I've only read a few different versions, so I'm no expert.

Orthodoxy would like to speak with you.

Why is that?

close your thread kike

But isn't pope a communist? How a communists can be messenger of the God on earth?

I believe you must finally meet the Orthodox Church.

I read it all, and yes I believe all of it, including that women are created to serve men, slavery is ok with God (he even practices it), polygyny is permissible if you can provide for the women, immortality is available today, etc.

Why?

ah, wrong site. Yes these are audio. Written version: bible.com/bible/1/GEN.1.kjv

I assume King Jame's Bible is the most recognized edition in the English world.

We're not bound to care what the Pope says unless he verbally invokes infallibility, he's also hardly the first bad Pope, Google Alexander VI.

I remember seeing Johnny Cash infomercials as a kid where he did an audio book on tape(s) of the entire Bible.
Also I have a Bible app that speaks the text to you. It's KJV and I prefer that. It also gives you a daily Bible verse that helps you remember to read/listen to your Bible

Yes. Yes. Yes. It is the truth, the way, & the life. It has sustained many attacks and been scoffed at by fools since the beginning. His word is stronger than the lies against it.

Looks good to me. The KJV has been the most common translation for many many years, but if I had to guess with no statistics on hand I would say the NIV or ESV is probably the most common nor or will become the most common version soon.

As I said earlier I prefer the KJV because it captures a lot of the poetry and imagery in the bible. I'll use the following chapter to illustrate what I mean:
Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 23 New International Version (NIV)

Psalm 23
A psalm of David.

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

I recommend reading whatever you prefer starting from the beginning and reading to the end. I recommend reading Psalms and Proverbs as light reading throughout your day or as part of your routine. I read a chapter of Psalms or Proverbs every night before bed.

Alexander VI is full of black legends of his political and clerical enemies, he is the grandfather and spiritual father of Saint Ignacio de Loyola, founder of the jesuits to fight protestantism...

> (You)
>I remember seeing Johnny Cash infomercials as a kid where he did an audio book on tape(s) of the entire Bible.
Holy shit. I had no idea, that's really cool. I'm gonna look for that when I get home!

>Also I have a Bible app that speaks the text to you.
Nice. I really like to do the same when I'm at the gym. That being said I don't go to the gym nearly as often as I should.

Just ask Jesus into your life. Admit you are a sinner and declare you believe Jesus died for you on the cross. Simple as that.

NIV is complete trash. The translations are wrong and they promote "muh pretribulation" hoax.

Johnny Cash is a big reason I came to christ.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=W08MS3ndUX0

kill yourself we use the king james only because the others are changed by satan not because theres better poetry

christians on Sup Forums i have a question.

do christians really care about each other? I want to retry it out sometimes but it doesn't seem like they "truly" care about each other

yahoo.com/news/iraqi-christians-face-apos-death-200731868.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb

Question: Do you christbois accept the theory of evolution?

You SHOULD be baptized. All you need to do in order to be saved is like
says. Accepting that Jesus Christ died as a sacrifice in your place for your sins. Only he can forgive your sins.

After that you should be baptized, but baptism is an outward confession of what's already in your heart. Anybody who says otherwise forgets this passage:
(Luke 23:43 HCSB)
And He said to him, "I assure you: Today you will be with Me in paradise."
This refers to a part where a thief being crucified along Christ recognizes his sovereignty and godhood. Christ responds by telling him he'll go to heaven. You should be baptism, but God cares more about what is in your heart than rituals.

If you go purely by the Biblical standards, you will find that very very few professing Christians actually meet the standard.

But the Bible addresses this, and explicitly says it will be like this.

Basically, these people you're talking about are probably not Born Again.

So I take it that's a no? So did God create earth and all the humans?

every verse of the bible after the greek translation is tainted.

I recommend reading the secret teachings of all ages.

Yes. This theory could make sense but it's pusshed too much, I don't believe that fucking fishes evolved into dogs and humans

I know natural selection is really.

It's not easy, because people forget about the Philosophy of Jesus, the virtues you must follow to live a life of righteousness. They get caught up on some archaic verse about gay people from Leviticus, rather than give out unconditional love to their fellow man as Jesus taught.

I'd not be surprised if that was the case, but he IS remembered poorly, which I was pointing out as a comparison to Francis. Jeremy Iron's performance as him was pretty good tho

Love the sinner, hate the sin. Words to live by, user.

Actually the theory makes quite a lot of sense. So much sense that it's the cornerstone of modern biology.

>it's pusshed too much
It's pushed because it's fairly concrete.

>I don't believe that fucking fishes evolved into dogs and humans
Well, that's good, because that's not really how it happened.

How long did it take God to create all humans and earth, do you suppose?

Yeah, my fiancé uses the NIV and the more we learn about the bible the more apparent that is.

>kill yourself
Woah, chill out. I've only been Christian for about a year and a half. I didn't even read KJV until recently and now I read it almost exclusively.

Christians care about everyone. At least, we're supposed to. We sin a lot and sometimes that means hatred or a lack of care. Sup Forums can be one of the worst examples I've ever seen. Almost every Christianity thread here turns into a shit show of people yelling at each other because they're different denominations.

There's a large difference between evolution which is small changes which lead to adaptation of species to survive better over time and Darwinism(which is frequently referred to as evolution) which is the theory that all creatures on earth share a single common ancestor and all of our DNA just made up a bunch of shit from nothing to create new species. I've yet to see any evidence to a single common ancestor and the latter is just not possible.

Job 28:20-28 King James Version (KJV)

20 Whence then cometh wisdom? and where is the place of understanding?

21 Seeing it is hid from the eyes of all living, and kept close from the fowls of the air.

22 Destruction and death say, We have heard the fame thereof with our ears.

23 God understandeth the way thereof, and he knoweth the place thereof.

24 For he looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth under the whole heaven;

25 To make the weight for the winds; and he weigheth the waters by measure.

26 When he made a decree for the rain, and a way for the lightning of the thunder:

27 Then did he see it, and declare it; he prepared it, yea, and searched it out.

28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

>There's a large difference between evolution which is small changes which lead to adaptation of species to survive better over time
Right, and they eventually split off and continue mutating into new species. You're halfway there.

>Darwinism(which is frequently referred to as evolution)
Darwinism is not a term used in any scientific community in this day and age.

> I've yet to see any evidence to a single common ancestor and the latter is just not possible.
There's quite a lot of it, actually. Read at your leisure.
I really like this one because it breaks down evidence for common descent by contributing scientific discipline.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

here's another good one, but it's pretty technical. Very detailed however!
talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/phylo.html

You can read that if you want, but I'm more interested in hearing about how you think humans came about, how old the earth is, etc.

Thanks, interesting
tfw I can't read Biblical Hebrew, I'd like to experience the original language and words.

so you and your girlfriend both happened to get born again at the same time?

sorry it doesnt work like that. shes not saved god supernaturally chooses certain people not 2 people at once

youtube.com/watch?v=kFtI_mVOXbQ

>Almost every Christianity thread here turns into a shit show

I wish this was not true. I recently denounced atheism and my degenerate, hedonistic ways, and thought these threads might be a good way to bet back to the light. Christianity seems like a natural fit to me because nearly all the rest of my family are church goers.

dont thash his plan just like that, only the Heavens know who will be saved , maybe both.

Well, there's a pretty simple solution to that issue...

youtu.be/pQExfNAsDU0

any good protestant christian youtube channels/twitter to subscribe to?

no thanks I'll stay Orthodox, noone wants your church its got a bad reputation.

Orthobros pretty cool, been to local Russian Orthodox Church a few times, based icons m8

Fuck off pagan papist scum.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_Mary

>The Latin Catholic Feast of the Assumption is celebrated on 15 August, and the Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics celebrate the Dormition of the Theotokos (the falling asleep of the Mother of God) on the same date, preceded by a 14-day fast period. Eastern Christians believe that Mary died a natural death, that her soul was received by Christ upon death, and that her body was resurrected on the third day after her death and that she was taken up into heaven bodily in anticipation of the general resurrection. Her tomb was found empty on the third day.

>"... Orthodox tradition is clear and unwavering in regard to the central point [of the Dormition]: the Holy Virgin underwent, as did her Son, a physical death, but her body – like His – was afterwards raised from the dead and she was taken up into heaven, in her body as well as in her soul. She has passed beyond death and judgement, and lives wholly in the Age to Come. The Resurrection of the Body ... has in her case been anticipated and is already an accomplished fact. That does not mean, however, that she is dissociated from the rest of humanity and placed in a wholly different category: for we all hope to share one day in that same glory of the Resurrection of the Body which she enjoys even now."[33]

>Many Catholics also believe that Mary first died before being assumed, but they believe that she was miraculously resurrected before being assumed. Others believe she was assumed bodily into Heaven without first dying.[34][35] As mentioned earlier, this aspect of the Assumption is not authoritatively described in Catholic theology, and either understanding may be legitimately held by Catholics, with Eastern Catholics observing the Feast as the Dormition.

Papist scum BTFO forever. Fucking pagan Ishtar godess worshippers.

yeah , full LSD icons lol

Sanderson1611
Zion4131

thanks m8

>Russian Flag
>Catholic
Murrican Protestant education.

Also,
>deny the Saints
>Deny the Early church Fathers
>deny the True Prescence
You're a Kike making a pathetic attempt to larp as a Christian, go give Israel more money cuck.

I've never seen a Christian behave like a traditionnal Jew, and that's basically how you should behave if you're following every line of the Bible

No kidding m8, personal favorite here

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF170B126002E7CB0

yeah

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6BB648B46654467F

Thays all church is to you a b free rad eating ritual? You must get a lot out of it.

Thanks for the post. I'll check that out when I get some time.

>so you and your girlfriend both happened to get born again at the same time?
No. I'm not sure where you got that from. She was Christian for about a year when I met her and I was into new age metaphysics bullshit at the time.

I agree. It is a real shame. This is the best thread I've seen about Christianity on Sup Forums in a long time.

>POO IN BIBLE

He obviously intended that post as being about the True Presence, which is, ya know, kinda central to both Mass and a Divine Liturgy.

>Do you read the Bible?
Yeah. KJV.
Not really, I have more reason to believe King James was just another jewish puppet and that the bible he wanted to create is a bastardized version of the whole truth.
Absolutely not.
>Do you believe it to simply be a basis for morality and Christianity?
Yeah, a very watered down version of it. It's literature that is too easy to be abused when you let Jews have their ways for centuries.

Protestant church is far better than Mass.

Oh you, Satan-kun.

Bump.

In your opinion, that's "bait."..

Bumping

>claims to be christian
>says he is contemplating whether evolution is real

see how im not following

You can obfuscate all you want, the truth is right there in print.

You Catholic pagans worship Mary, and have made up a fanfic where she died and 3 days later was resurected, and tgrough Fatima LARP you have elevated her to co-redemtrix with Jesus.

Burn in Hell, fucking Ishtar worshipping scum.

You cite your church (((fathers))) and dogmas of men, just like the filthy kikes that murdered Jesus.

>god supernaturally chooses certain people
Calvinism is heresy.

Is there a denomination where they don't necessarily translate the bible as the literal word of God and literal history, but rather more like guidelines?

I'm sure there is, heresy is rampant nowadays.