So, what's the deal with Common Core?

So, what's the deal with Common Core?

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=20 / 5(2*2)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's basically standardized teaching that has been issued by the government.
It's been found to actually do more harm than good because you end up with situations like the one in the photo. People are having trouble with basic math problems now because of conflicting teaching methods.

It was created by a jew.
His goal was to lower the test scores of white students.

So shouldn't having a standard way to math fix this? I will admit, if I solve that problem the way I was taught I get 1, but if we explain the new standard properly it won't cause an issue.

niggers are retarded so lets make math a matter of the teacher's opinion.

That's what happens when you get lazy and don't group your terms properly

i know right? its not common, and its not core

But there's literally nothing wrong with that picture.

20 / 5 = 4. --> 4(4) = 20
and
5(4) / 20=1 are both correct

The way I was taught in school it's 16. How does this result in 1?

it is basically how you do math in your head, if you know how to do math quickly. it's a trick
problem is no one barely needs to know how to do it, and they seem to teach it way too early. They keep trying to teach math using retarded tricks, instead of generic fundementals

i don't mean the pemdas fuckery like in op pic, because that's just plain retardation.

i mean the "make 10s" thing is a legitimate math trick, but it's just a trick, it shouldn't be fundamental to learning math.

American here, from the south no less. i was taught 16

Nvm I see. I've never understood why they don't just use an extra set of parentheses in math to avoid confusion like this.

WTF is this horseshit? So schools don't teach order of operations anymore?

No wonder schools are garbage now a days. Kids are purposely being confused with shit like this.

i honestly think this will help kids be less confused with algebra.

They do. Try this on any computer or calculator and you will get 16. Extra parentheses are needed to get 1

order of operations nigger

>the old way
>1

But that's not correct using the old way! When you only have multiplication and division remaining, you go from left to right

>20 / 5 (2 * 2)
>20 / 5 * 4
>4 * 4
>16

1 is wrong no matter how you choose to look at it

It's not just a matter of the make 10's technique, it's also doing away with the old vertical antilogarithm granny method because no one sits there and carry's the fucking two and shit in high school+ math. If you solve 46+72 like this
+72
--------
instead of 40+70+8, you're literally subhuman

>4(4) = 20

retard alert

Yeah. Although on tests I always used to put extra parentheses to get 16 as well, just to be safe.

20/(5(2*2)) = 20/(5*4)=20/20=1

20/5(2*2)=20/5(4)=20/5*4=4*4=16

It's a matter of parenthesis. This Common Core is retarded; American public education is a joke. I'm an American from a top university. At my workplace, we had a Saudi educated guy work for us; he was far-better educated and eloquent than most of my co-workers. I was utterly embarrassed as to how retarded my co-workers were and had to apologize to my Saudi guy because of the "educated" retards

Yeah I think the confusion is that many people were learning math the wrong way for a long time so they need to standardize it unless we want some kind of math disparity across state borders.

>you go from left to right
but if you express it like a fraction?

Were you even taught common core? Maybe the Saudi guy was taught that way.

if niggers are too retarded to understand basic shit then why hold their hands and confuse the white kids? i've never seen white kids have trouble with order of operations once they were introduced.

An improper fraction? Anyway it doesn't make a difference. Fractions are just division

Wouldn't the 5 distribute to both 2s in parentheses?
So
20/(10*10)

>2017
>this retarded

This.

no child left behind was, I guess trying to be virtuous but ended up being a huge mistake

No. My mom is a physics teacher at a high school. She tells me all about Common Core and the degradation of American public education and the quality of students every year

so what's the deal with black people? they're not really black and they're not really people.

There cannot be any objective truth in today's society. So math had to be revised to suit this.

How is it even confusing?

If it's a fraction it would be
(20/5)*4, still 16

PEMDAS, people.
please excuse my dear aunt sally is in every physics book you can find in the library... well the old one's anyway.

It means Parenthesis, Exponents, MULTIPLICATION, division, addition and subtraction.

It's like those idiots are trying to destroy all the physics we've built up till now!!! (or at least make the old books "obsolete"...)

Apparently you were never taught PEMDAS.

So she's saying common core is causing problems for students? Has it been out long enough for students to be having problems in physics class already? I honestly don't know. Anyway not saying the schools aren't shit but I don't think it's because of common core.

If you consider it a fraction then yes. Otherwise you'd do the "from left to right if precedence is equal" dance.

As an autistic mathematician this thread rilly fucking devastates me.

If you're not retarded, the / is interpreted as a fraction bar which implies parentheses: (20) / (5(2*2)) = 1

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU NIGGERS GIVE THESE SHILLS FUCKING ATTENTION THAT THEY NEED. ALREADY 31 REPLIES BEFORE I CAME HERE AND ALL OF YOU FUCKING IDIOTS CANT SEE THAT THESE ARE LARPING TYPE THREADS. YOU PEOPLE ARE SO FUCKING EASY MANIPULATED IN ORDER FOR YOU TO STAY OFF TRACK. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO EITH POL/
>hurrrrr but youre giving him attention after you said not to give him attention.

Fuck off

They're trying to destroy all the tools we have used to build our civilization. Tradition, culture, mathematics...

no. a fraction would be

--------
5 (2 2)

I came here for the meth

>addition and subtraction.
haha amerifats giving addition precedence over subtraction

Sorry it's been a while since I've used maths for anything besides a tape measure.

We had a standard way to fix this. If you followed Pemdas you always got the same answer, however with Common core you can have the same equations and get several different answers that are all "Right"

the order of operation were followed for the 16 and 1 result.

In the latter to get 16 you do (4)(20/5). And to get 1 you look at the problem like this 5(2*2)/20

lol i know youre being facetious here but belive it or not, there are correct and incorrect ways of teaching math. common core is an incorrect method you dopey little faggot.

It's not incorrect; PEMDAS doesn't work in every case so how can students be taught that it does?

the only time they don't is when people want to troll other people online with questions like WHAT DOES 8 / 5 * 3 EQUAL? and you get a mix of people who either solve it like (8/5) * 3 or 8 / (5*3)

Just switch math notation to RPN and all problems disappear.

It's BEDMAS in New Zealand and Canada.
It's BODMAS in UK, India and Australia.

Fuck, EVERY country with two braincells to rub together puts addition before subtraction.
Every one except yours it seems.

PLEASE
EXCUSE
MY
DEAR
AUNT
SALLY

Jesus wtf why is this garbage here?

>PEMDAS doesn't work in every case
you mean the ones involving niggers?

they're the same precedence

>countless mathematicians write about how pemdas doesn't work
>schools try to change the situation
>spergs rage because it isn't what they were taught as kids
You people would have burned Galileo

PEMDAS
E
M
D
A
SHITHEADS

Addition and subtraction are literally the same thing

no, its more like P>E>M=D>A=S

Using BEDMAS
20/5(4)
4(4)
= 16

But using common sense
20/ 5(4)
20/ 20
= 1

If you write the 20 with a division line above the others, it makes sense. This is just poorly written.

>reddit black SCIENCE! manz meme
lol just show your flag coward

No you illiterate. It would still be
--- x(2x2)
There are implied parenthesis around 20/5. Anyone whose passed pre algebra should know this.

How the fuck did they get 1 for traditional algebra?
>20/5*(2*2)
>20/5*4
>4*4
>16
This teacher sucks at math

This. People seriously thing shit like the order of operations are set in stone axiom, when it's not.

Did your math teachers not tell you that the order of the multiplication and division does not matter?
Fucking high school dropouts "muh 16 is right" "muh 1 is right"

they're both right, and you're falling for a tradition fallacy

lol you think elementary school math teachers understand math?

PEMDAS
Literally the only thing you have to remember to solve this. Common core (should) be teaching that, it's just that kids are dumbasses who fuck around with fidget spinners instead of paying attention in class.

Why just don't fucking put parentheses?

It is the natural evolution of comprehensive education which replaces absolute truth with relative truth, undermines rigor, high ideals and standards of behavior as they're 'authoritarian', and drags everyone down to the same miserable level of innumerate illiteracy in the name of fairness and equality.

Our education system isn't much better.

You innumerate fuck you don't understand that PEMDAS is just a handy trick that works most of the time but doesn't actually teach you the logic behind equations.

yes, so what we should do is just blow the foundations from under our educational system and try this wacky new method that is designed to artificially raise test scores in nigger-majority schools.

now fucking show your flag so we can make fun of you

They're going with the attitude that there is no value to order of operations.

The idea is that it's just an issue of grammar rather than math. Which in a way is true, but we've had this grammar for a long time because it helps us to avoid confusion which could result in problems where people get mixed up as to what they should do.

It's a sign of liberals wanting to fight against all conventions no matter how much it hurts society.

>artificially raises test scores
Proofs nigger

>Literally the only thing you have to remember to solve this
False information by a brainleet.

Another case of "knows enough to think he's right, but not enough to know when he's wrong." Again PEMDAS is not an axiom and you're all retarded for treating it as such and a clear indication you never made it to higher math

Thanks I thought I was going crazy

>People seriously thing shit like the order of operations are set in stone axiom, when it's not.
Guess I syntax not set in stone, eh?

This picture is basically showing the students that PEMDAS is not static a rule of the universe, and it's good. Everyone against it is simply math plebs

We were taught to simplify any expressions first.
So in this case, it would be:
--------
5(2*2)

Which would simplify to:
--------

Or just 1.

There is no inherent value to PEMDAS as an order of operations, it is not an axiom it is just a trick that helps you in most cases and it's better to learn it without tricks and then use the trick to save time. Thinking PEMDAS is set in stone is like thinking Picasso didn't learn to draw realistically before abstracting to cubism.

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=20 / 5(2*2)

that's just a poorly formatted problem, the answer depends on whether the fucking 2*2 is in the denominator or not

this is not mathematical skill, this is the epitome of fucking jewry

Holy fuck the retardation in this thread is truly awesome.

The answer is always 1. peMDas you fucking niggers, not peDMas:

20/5(2x2)

20/5(4)

20/20=1

fuck all of you, I hate summerfags

name a problem a grade school student would encounter where PEMDAS wouldnt work

>So, what's the deal with Common Core?

As opposed to the old system which encouraged individual acceleration through the motions of education, it panders to, and subjects the entirety of a group to the learning abilities of, the lowest common denominator (mentally speaking).

I see future doctors, rocket scientists and engineers there

I know you're bait but syntax is literally not set in stone
english is one of the most convoluted and dynamic languages and full of many dialects and creoles that are official somewhere

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
You don't just add parentheses willy nilly you animal, that changes the entire meaning of the equation. Also, รท and / mean the same exact thing, you can't just declare that / means a fraction, it literally means division

The common core one is the correct version of PEMDAS (P,E,MD,AS). Multiplication and division have equal precedence, since they're literally the same operation, so you just start from the left.

Grade school kids eventually have to take algebra and calculus and often PEMDAS and all the other retarded shit that rural and suburban retard schools taught them will make it hard so they'll drop out and sell meth to the other redneck trump supporters.

make whites and asians dumber by teaching them a convoluted way to problem solve that is more suited for blacks and hispanics. Average test scores go up, real iq goes down, liberals proclaim the system works.

those kids look awfully young to be learning that level of math. they probably havent even learned to not eat their boogers yet

Math, in reality, does not have an "Order of operations"
Order of operations was conceived for the fact that operations itself does not have a (((TIME))) ("or parenthesis, that is, being presented as the first one that should be operated by the operation")
Math just need a little adjustment in its "Order of operations" (1st, 2nd, 3rd, one to be operated)

As someone who has graded for Pearson. I can tell you that the world is going to hell.

But it's now how mathematicians have always done it. It's commonly accepted that divisions are treated as if the line separates the entire equation, giving precedence to multiplication. That's the "old way."

Basically niggers and spics cant into basic math and this triggers white guilt so a Jew decided that things like order of operations are a social construct and niggers get an A for effort because learning is racist.

why are you falling apart like this so soon?

this