Why is tipping still a thing in the US?

Why is tipping still a thing in the US?

I use to travel to the US every year and I'm amazed about the tipping culture you have there. Every time I go to a restaurant they expect me to tip them for doing nothing (get the food to the table and being "nice") and if you don't tip, they get mad at you and sometimes even insult/scream at you. Like wtf is wrong with this country. Why should the customer pay for their wage when it should be the restaurant/bar/company doing that?
It seems stupid and outdated. And worse of all, it's kind of mandatory to give gratuity. If you don't tip, they'll make sure to make you feel bad (the waiters and/or the people at your table)

This doesn't happen anywhere in Europe. We give random tips from time to time (if the service is excellent or just because you want to do it one day) but there's not this mandatory feeling to do it like in the US.

Why do you Americans still allow this? I'm curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

webapps.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because waiters make $2 an hour and have to rely on tips to make ends meet.

That's why I don't eat out and instead do take outs.

>Because we don't want spit/semen in our food (remember Jerkin' Joes?)
>Because we can't look cheap in front of girls/friends
>Because they'll never treat you well if you return
>Because they make shit money, now that employers have to pay for their health insurance

SOmetimes it is just because we want good service consistently. Tipping the valet or barber well can help avoid major fuckups, but tipping your bartender a lot just because her tits are big is stupid as hell.

>Why do you Americans still allow this? I'm curious.
cucked hard by the jews

Then they should take it out on the restaurant owner, not the harmless customer who is the victim in all of this.

Are you saying if you don't tip your barber they'll fuck up your hair? Doesn't sound like a good business model. I can condone tipping a barman for faster service if the place is banged it.

>if you don't tip they'll fuck you up
>call the manager and tell them about it
>?
If they don't like the job they can fuck off, there are others who will gladly take it.

Americans will defend tipping culture to the grave.

Here are the typical excuses they'll use:

>muh below minimum wage (not even true)
>h-haha don't eat out if you can't afford to tip poorfag
>stop being such a jew (who's jewing who here?)
>hope you enjoy semen and spit in your food lmao
>the service industry isn't the same as all other professions you dummy
>tipping culture is hundreds of years old
>Uhh, w-we're not the only ones who have tipping culture

>Oy vey! Pay our employees so we don't have to! I'd you don't you're a bad person, goy!

>Tipping as a right to have basic pay and not as a nice luxury

The state of US Labour pay and conditions.

Typical Burgers; They love friendly-fire.

KEK.
>When BASED mourinho hears about the US system

AYO
>smacks lips
AY
>tooth falls out
SO YOU BE SAYIN
>dunks fries in mayo
>WE WUZ AN EMPIRE N SHEEEYIT?
>gets trampled at a soccer game

that is a falsehood. I am pretty sure in most of the country a server has to make at least minimum wage if tips to go that high.

>>Because we don't want spit/semen in our food (remember Jerkin' Joes?)

This is only a problem in America BECAUSE you have tips.

Alright dumbo, how do you reckon it works in the rest of the world?

Paying a server an hourly wage would lead to more expensive meals and lower quality service.

You pay servers an hourly wage but you likely end up paying alor more for a meal.

>Why is tipping still a thing in the US?

Because the legal minimum wage for a waitperson in the US is $2.75 per hour, or roughly 35% of minimum wage for anyone else in any other profession.

This $2.75 hasn't changed in over 30 years.

Just be a nigger and never tip lol

What are meal prices in America like compared to other countries? Are they much cheaper?

Fuck you poorfag

>2.13 an hour not below minimum wage
>European "education"

Am American and I agree that tipping is a fucking travesty. I don't want to tip some millennial fake-friendly dickhead for serving me food. DO tip the pizza guys though - they have a dangerous job and have to pay for mileage

Tipping is to make sure they don't piss, spit or shove the food up their vag before serving it to you.

But you don't tip until after you've gotten the food, so I don't see how that would help, except for regular customers.

Oh, and BTW, I've been to your wretched fucking continent and had the most insolent, terrible service, ever.

US waitpersons should have a higher base wage, but not to the point that my sister waits 15 minutes for a glass of water, goes and gets it for herself and gets her hand slapped by a waitress who couldn't be otherwise bothered (true story from Paris, circa 1980)

>use to

We have it so good in america that poor people get TONS of gibs and they expect it from everywhere because they dont know better. When the hard times come, we are fucked because people wont know how to survive on their own efforts.

because businesses caught on to tipping when it became popularized as a way for customers to pay their employees for them.

Waiters have a hard job, but fuck you're not supposed to work as a waiter forever

>DO tip the pizza guys though
cheese pizza delivery guy right here. AND he expects tips!

GFY, I've done that job.

It IS dangerous, and it ruins your car

> tfw 28 and still working as a bartender/waiter

What do? Where do I go?
Just kill me now ok.

Waiting in restaurants can be a lucrative gig. I know a guy who has waited a long time at a posh restaurant and buys a new Jaguar every now and again.

>Waiting in restaurants can be a lucrative gig
Not for the shlub in Sioux Falls, it ain't

I only tip if I have a waiter/waitress.

The cashier with the tip jar can go fuck herself

Calla niño. Por qué querrías cambiar una costumbre que nos da dinero?

That conception of tip is indeed weird especially when the waiters are indignant like wtf I'm already paying you for a coffee bitch, don't make me double my costs because of your pretty face. Anyways muricans got cash to spend, and hard working waiters deserve tips, so keep on bois

Why are burgers always in such a rush to eat?

we have to finish in time to make it to the next scheduled meal

>thinking Singapore is in Europe
>amerilard """education"""

webapps.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm
>If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the Federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

>Because they'll never treat you well if you return
If you're a regular some place tipping well gets you the VIP treatment. Wondering where your server is? She's helping me, because I tip like a Rockefeller.

I only tip white Americans.

>Give me more money so I can do my job as I am supposed to do it
Jesus fucking Christ

TIPS= To Insure Proper Service.

Could be worse. Number of places in Europe (especially Germany) calculate the tip into the bill, so they don't even have to work too hard to earn it.

It's ridiculous, an American rip off like the way you go into a shop and buy an item for a stated price and get charges taxes at the counter. The food is below average usually as well so the obligatory tip is where you just give in and chuck your card at some cunt.

Minimum wage for food service is set differently than "regular" jobs in most states.

i go here all the time, but me and my friends never tip a single penny

If they're being legally paid below minimum wage, why not get the law involved? That's why it exists, so you're not starving to death